Love Is…

Love Is…

November 2, 2006

One of the things that I love about being a mother is watching the relationships that develop between my children. Being an only child, the sibling bond is a mysterious thing to me. One minute they are laughing and joking, and the next they are fighting. I watch them negotiate through their disagreements. And I watch as they grow to be people who genuinely like each other.

Love is comforting your sibling when they are upset.

Love is forgiving them when they break your favorite toy.

Love is sharing a bedroom and whispering secrets in the dark.

Love is going to time out with your brother so that he won’t be sad.

Love is the shared history that only a sibling knows and can understand fully.

Love Is...

This photo was taken almost two years ago, when Miles was a newborn. And everyday they love each other more. Sometimes the love is hidden underneath the bickering and fighting, but even in those moments I can still the glint of it in their eyes.

(As always, to participate in Love Thursday, visit Karen.)

Comments

1. Jess says:

That is such a sweet photo.

2. Cathy C says:

I don’t think the sibling bond is a mystery to you at all! This is such lovely post. Have a great day, Chris.

You seem to have a really great idea of the sibling bond… probably better than those of us WITH siblings actually do. That’s a great photo.

4. Kelly says:

I too was an only child. It pain me on the days when my children argue. But My cup flows over on the days that they like each other and bond a little bit more.

I love the photo. It is so precious

5. Kellie says:

Awesome picture. In my great debate to have or not have another child, that photo alone makes me want to so I can watch my daughter and her sibling form a bond that will, hopefully, last forever!!

6. Elizabeth says:

Thanks for another beautiful post, Chris.

I didn’t have a sibling until I was 16 years old. She’s 23 now and I’m 39 and we’re so close. I hope everyone thinking one is enough will reconsider. Siblings are such a blessing.

7. ann-marie says:

>Love is going to time out with your brother so that he won’t be sad.

this one’s my favorite, and that picture is so sweet. happy love thursday!

8. moonstruck mama says:

It’s all so true! Beautiful photo!

9. rachel says:

what a beautiful photo and a wonderful sentiment.

I love watching the sibling relationships between my girls, too. It’s amazing.

10. jody says:

That picture is precious.

I can’t believe how much they have grown. It is so cool to see your children growing. I feel like I know them, even though we live far apart.

My favorite day of the week, all because of your posts.

12. InterstellarLass says:

Almost like they’re soul mates.

My kids fight (no way!), but I know that they love each other. Over the summer my daughter was crying, and I asked her why. She missed her brother who was on a church trip. Yesterday, my son called me at work. He was packing their overnight bag to go to their dad’s. He couldn’t find the jeans and shirt he knew she wanted for the next day. I’m proud.

Sweet.

14. Valeta says:

That is the most precious thing. I hope my son will have that some day.

15. Crisanne says:

I especially love seeing pictures of little Miles because he is the same age as my son-juging from your previous posts they must be only days apart. Thanks for sharing your wonderful family with all of us.

16. halloweenlover says:

Aww, so sweet! What cuties the two of them are!

17. Jonathon says:

It almost makes me want to give Little-E a brother or sister.

Almost.

18. Julie Q. says:

Coming from a large family myself (9 kids) I appreciate your reminder of the value of siblings. Most of my fondest memories from childhood involve my brothers and sisters — the crowded table, the inside jokes, the volleyball matches in the living room — these are priceless moments to me. I think it’s great that you have multiplied by 7 (and it counts exponentially) the sibling love in your own home.

19. Rae says:

It’s so sweet as they start to have sympathy for each other, isn’t it? I love it when my little girl is so concerned when her brother is crying, or sad. That’s a beautiful photo, and I love how you always write about how much Miles adores your daughter. It’s so sweet.

Your post reminded me to appreciate my siblings more. And how much I love them, even the ones that drive me batty.

21. Erika says:

happy love thursday!

22. Cindy says:

I am also an only child and I think it would be the most wonderful thing in the world to have a brother or sister! I have 2 boys and I tell them they are so lucky to have each other. I can relate so much to your post! Thank you!

23. Pastormac's Ann says:

Sibling love is a magical mysterious thing. Some days I just feel blessed to be able to witness it. (Other days I wish I was witnessing it a lot more.)

Precious precious picture.

Happy Love Thursday. Thanks for brightening my day with some love.

24. Robbin says:

What a darling photo!

25. maria says:

Do your boys let your daughter get away w/murder? My 5 and 7 yr old sons cannot stand to hear their 2 1/2 yr old sister cry (she does have a particularly ear piercing shriek) and cave into her in a heart beat. It amazes me that she can snatch a toy from them and when I force her to return it, they let her keep it. She wants their candy- here - take it. I tell her to put something away - they do it for her. Now between the 2 boys it’s all bickering all the time - unless they have a common enemy like space aliens - or their mean ole mommy…

Anyway - I think of you daughter w/all those brothers - lucky girl.

26. Meg says:

Lovely pic!

27. Roxanne says:

I love that photo and your post! My two year old and his baby sister could have been substituted for your children in that photo; they bonded the same way, and it is wonderful to watch them together. Thank you!