the answer to life’s problems–popsicles and sparkling shoes

the answer to life’s problems–popsicles and sparkling shoes

November 5, 2006

Saturday was one of those days. You know the kind where you are just pushed to the very edge of your breaking point.

It wasn’t that the day was particularly bad, or that anything horrible happened, it was just the culmination of lots of things. And me being me, I never come right out and say something, preferring instead the much more effective method of heavy sighing and slamming random things.

Finally in the evening, my non-mind reading husband said, “You seem really stressed out? What is your deal? It is the weekend.”

And I may have said, “Oh is it the weekend? Thanks for pointing that out because to me it is JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER MIND NUMBINGLY BORING DAY.” No, I don’t over react much.

So today I decided to break free from my captors loving family and go shopping, and not of the grocery store variety. I was going to go all alone, but my daughter came up to me shortly before I was going to leave and said, “I must come with you. I need new shoes.”

In light of NoBloShoeMo, how could I deny her a new pair or four?

She is a lot of fun to shop with. The first store we went to was Target, in search of birthday presents for my two sons that have birthdays this month. I grabbed the cart and asked her if she wanted to climb in. She looked at me like she was shocked I would suggest such a thing. And she walked through that store, the next store, and about five other stores never once complaining.

She requested, and I bought her, a popsicle. It seemed a bit chilly to me to want to eat a popsicle. But she was thrilled with it. We sat outside of a coffee shop at one of their bistro tables while she slowly, slowly, ever so slowly licked her popsicle. I suggested she try biting it, to help speed up the process. I was restless and could almost hear the minutes ticking by. But she wanted to savor each delicious moment.

After a few minutes I decided that I should take a lesson from her. I put all my bags down, turned my chair to face the sun, ignored the list of things I had to do in my head, and just enjoyed the moment.

The last store we were in was Macy’s where I was browsing the clearance section in the shoe department. She sat down on one of the chairs and sighed loudly. “I wish I was wearing my sparkling shoes. Today is really a sparkling shoe day.”

Yes, it was.

Comments

The sparkling shoe day comment brought tears to my eyes.

I trained my little girl young. One day, at just 2 years old (in her crib, no less), the first words out of her mouth one morning were, “I want to wear tights, and I want to go shopping!” And indeed, tights and shopping it was.

There’s nothing like that one-on-one time with your daughter, is there?

2. kim says:

Now, I know you don’t know me but I read your blog almost daily and I was wondering… where are your shoes today?

3. Cindy says:

I love it when we, moms, can see life through the eyes of our child. It really is such a beautiful place! Too many times, we’re so busy living, we forget to live. Thanks for the sparkling shoe moment.

4. HolyMama! says:

what a wise, wise girl you’re raising. the ability to recognize and verbalize the need for sparkly shoes… that’s my kind of girl.

5. Elizabeth says:

A kindred spirit. My DH doesn’t really understand how I don’t want to go shopping with the *whole* family (good lord) but sometimes shopping alone is, well, lonely, and a shopping trip with just one of the kids can be a treat. So can shopping with just him, if I can ever swing it again before we reach the walkers and canes stage.

6. Stacy says:

I can’t wait for moments like that with my Rebecca (who’s 15 months). What a great day for mom and daughter to share!

7. ann-marie says:

i love how a child can put a new, delightfully sparkly spin on a crappy day.

8. ann-marie says:

i should have ended that with “a formerly crappy day.”

9. Troll Baby » *sob* says:

[...] Every once in a great while, a blog post comes along that makes me want to reverse the vasectomy, so I can have me a daughter.  Thanks Chris. Posted by karenrani @ 11:28 pm • Elsewhere   Other Crazy Posts:No related posts [...]

10. Doris says:

I know what you mean about the mind numbing boring days. Next time you are in town, we’ll ditch the families and head to the karaoke bar and stay out until 2 am. Anyone else want to join in?

11. nabbalicious says:

That is so sweet!

12. kellie says:

And that alone is what it is all about.

I always tell Dh that there are days when you just feel on the complete edge of madness and then they say something sweet like that and suck you back in…

my favorite one to recall is a beat down mind numbing day finally sat for two minutes and the (at the time 3 yr.old boy child) climbs me and says…you smell good like maple syrup…and there is someon your hair can i suck on it?….

may all your days be sparkly shoe days.

I love your daughter.

14. ek says:

That girl was BORN to shop! The “sparkly shoe day” comment totally teared me up!

15. Cathy C says:

If she didn’t already have “sparkly shoes,” I would have bought her a pair right then and there. She sounds like a great shopping partner.

16. Laura K. says:

You have such a way with words. You often make me reflect on my own life and son even more. Thank you for changing my life. We all need to take some time to just sit around and enjoy life. Your daughter sounds like such a delight and with 6 brothers I’m sure she really loves the private time with her mom!

17. liz says:

That is simply delicious.

18. Amah says:

Good Girl!! You can still go shopping - my DH is really, really helpful and does all of my relaxing for me!! As in, whenever I say that WORD - he asks what I want and goes to get it for me. I only time I have to shop is if I sneak into a store on the way from somewhere else (dr, dentist, Curves) I don’t even have to pick out cards or gifts for occasions - as he does it for me. And he does it so well - I asked for a sympathy card on Sat and got a card with a little kitty on the front that says “and life goes on” inside. - I pled illness. Just wait - your dh’s will retire someday!!

19. Sara says:

Daughters are great. Enjoy the special relationship you are creating with her. Those dividends really pay off!

20. Brigitte says:

She’s so grown up already!

DHs just don’t get that EVERY day is a work-day for us, do they?

21. meredith says:

What a sweetheart!

22. jody says:

Gorgeous!

This post had me nodding and smiling, and a tear in my eye because I know just what you are talking about.

That was just the right thing to say at the right time. I bet you’re glad you took her shopping.

24. Mary says:

That is perfect! How sweet!

25. kerflop says:

Hmmm. I will have to find myself a sparkling pair of shoes for just such an occasion.

26. Erika says:

what a beautiful child you are raising. I cant wait till lily is a bit older (27m) and can say stuff like that. Altho she randomly comes up to me and kisses me and says I love you. I tear up every time and I never get sick of it