Scrubbing floors, the new yoga

Scrubbing floors, the new yoga

November 12, 2006

We our having an appraisal done on our house tomorrow so we can refinance and have some money freed up for a new kitchen. One with an oven big enough to fit my favorite baking dish in. And a sink that isn’t harvest gold. And a floor that isn’t cracked white vinyl.

It is nerve wracking to have an appraisal done.

So in preparation I have been cleaning the house like a crazed woman. Every single room has been cleaned, washed, polished, straightened. My thinking is that the appraiser will be so distracted by the gleaming surfaces, or else rendered slightly brain dead from the bleach fumes, to notice things like bare sheetrock, cracked plaster, and missing trim.

“Oh but look, there are no dust bunnies in the corners! I’ll tack on another 50K to my estimate for that,” he will say.

In preparation Rob has been doing what he feels is important. Namely sweep out the basement and organize all his tools. His thinking, I assume, is that the appraiser will be distracted by his stellar tool organization.

“Oh look at all those expensive power tools, surely they will finish those undone projects one day soon. I’ll tack 50K on my estimate just for owning them!” he will say.

As for my children, their idea of preparing is to spread all their toys throughout the house. Maybe the appraiser will be so busy looking down at the floor trying not to trip over toys that he will fail to notice the numerous projects that still need to be completed.

“Damn these people have a lot of kids. Let me tack 50K onto my estimate out of pity,” he will say.

One of these approaches has to work. I hate to think that I will forever be spending my days in a kitchen so ugly that it makes me want to cry.

I wore these shoes all weekend long.

NoBloShoeMo: Days 9 and 10

No nonsense, get work done, ugly but comfortable Land’s End summer mocs, or something like that. And I also wore my yoga pants all weekend too. I have three pair of yoga pants and have never once in my life done yoga. I feel like such a poser.

Comments

1. sandra says:

You are such a complete and total poseur. Mail those pants to me, STAT.

ps: You were the cutest thing in your 20s! (And I bet you still are)

2. Wendy says:

I like those shoes. I was asleep in my bed with my newborn nursing, when our apprasier showed up. We got an extra $60,000 for our home equity. We are now using it to make the workshop into an office and I get a playroom for the kids.

Good Luck on your kitchen. I am so happy with mine, now. It makes cooking more pleasant.

3. Lilly says:

What an excellent incentive for house cleaning and tidying. Hope the appraiser puts you down for lots of equity and that you get to enjoy the tidied house after he leaves for as long as possible. Take photos!

4. Playdate Susan says:

We’re supposed to do YOGA in those pants? Well crap.

5. rachel says:

I’d add on all the extra $50k for you guys. Maybe that’s why I’m not an appraiser?

I don’t think those shoes are ugly, but maybe that’s because they are so comfy I delude myself into thinking they are pretty to excuse wearing them all the time (except in rain, snow, or mud). I’m happy with my delusions.

If the rain stops tomorrow I’ll show you the pretty red shoes I bought just for NoBloShoeMo

6. Annika says:

I did some yoga today in my pajamas. (And by “did some yoga,” what I really mean is that I watched the DVD of the nice toned lady and copied everything she did that involved lying on the floor and breathing deeply. I expect to have a hot body in no time!)

7. Karen Rani says:

I do Yoga every frikken morning and nobody told me I hafta wear pants.

8. Grim Reality Girl says:

I too am a poser…. maybe we should start a club?

9. Chrissy says:

Bless your heart, the appraiser will count your windows & doors & square footage & bathrooms–but I’m sure the cleaning will impress!! We used our equity to pay for a patent appeal, so I know you’re already having way more fun with the loan process than we did :-)

You had the best 1994 hair I have ever seen! Is it still long? Pretty baby girl, too!
    C

10. momslo says:

Add me to the list of posers-I l.o.v.e yoga pants- but I do pilates-so does that make me a “half poser”?

Good luck- fingers are crossed out here in SLO land- that your appaiser grants you lots of $$$$$$ so you can have your dream kitchen!

11. theotherbear says:

So what is the difference between yoga pants and tracksuit pants? Because I have done some googling (not really being up on these terms, so was curious what the heck they were) and yoga pants look just like my tracky pants. However, yoga pants sounds so much more cool, so I am keen to start calling them that instead!

12. CeCe says:

We had our house appraised recently, and the guy MISSED A BEDROOM! Please, make sure you know that he found every room in your house BEFORE he leaves! Our appraiser swears that missing the room didn’t affect the value of the house, but to that, I say Bull $#it! Anyway, we got enough money from our second mortgage to do what we wanted to do, so it worked out in the end, but I was totally pissed off!

13. Kelly says:

Good luck with the appraisal. If memory serves me right isnt your fav. dish the roasting set from pamered chef. If so, I puffy heart mine!

14. kathy says:

When our house was appraised for our refi, the appraiser never even entered the house. Don’t know if he even drove by. don’t know if he was a he, a she or a he/she/she/he. But we got it. :)

15. Kristie says:

So, like, the fact that I own “running shoes” means I’m actually supposed to RUN????

What on earth for?

I am so with you on the ugly kitchen. My kitchen is that ugly too. In fact, my kitchen is so ugly that a friend of mine who is an architect and designer said, when she first saw it, “You know, some people might think you put this kitchen in on purpose. Because you know, that ugly Seventies thing? It’s kinda in right now. And your kitchen is definitely ugly enough to be on purpose.”

17. Maddy says:

I think the aprpaiser will take one look at those shoes and say “with feet so beautiful I will tack on 50K” for sure.

18. Chookooloonks says:

Wax on, wax off, baby.

19. Cathy C says:

Good luck on your appraisal today! I’m sure you’ll get what you need.
    As for yoga pants, I did yoga faithfully for 2 years before I ever heard of yoga pants. Now that I know yoga pants exist, I don’t do yoga anymore. Coincidence? I think not.
    BTW, you have the best shoe collection. I may raid your closet one day.

20. Kristi says:

I’m going out to buy myself a pair of yoga pants for Turkey Day. I’ll need all that stretchiness for filling up on mashed potatoes. Now, THAT is considered a work out, right?

21. Jenny says:

I hope your appraisal goes well. Our last appraisal guy DIDN”T EVEN ENTER THE HOUSE. He just measured the lot size, measured house size, had all the info on number of bedrooms and bathrooms allready, and compared to other houses in the area. I was so mad. How can you appraise my house if you don’t even look IN my house! All that cleaning up for nothing.

And we all love yoga pants. The “lounge pants” from Costco are my favorite.

22. Meg says:

Nice! I forgot my shoe pic today. I suck. :(

23. nancy says:

If you ever have to take a deep breath and hold it for a minute because your kids are doing…. something, anything…. you have done yoga. :-)

24. Rebekah says:

Growing up, whenever company was coming over my dad would mop/scrub/bleach the garage floor. It didn’t matter if the bathroom was clean, but the garage WOULD be clean. I guess that’s just how men think!

25. ann-marie says:

here’s my shoe pic for the week (i don’t change my shoes often enough to warrant a new pic each day):

26. Erika says:

I hope you get a good amount hun! G~L!!

27. Denise says:

Clever plan! I will have to tuck that one away!!
    Denise

28. Kelly says:

When we did our refi appraisal, I casually mentioned to the appraiser what houses nearby had sold for recently and what number I need as a minimum. Heh.

Oddly enough, he came through with the exact numbers I mentioned.

29. meritt says:

Is it not cool to call them sweatpants anymore? Am I outdated already at 36?

So - ‘yoga pants’ is the in word… right?

30. Ruth H says:

Back in the day, as they say, when I was a young mother I found scrubbing floors and hanging up diapers was a perfect time to think. You just put the body into automatic and the mind goes wherever it want to wander. It’s a shame there were no computers, blogs or emails as so much of my thinking went down the drain with the dirty water, I would love to see it again. What was I really thinking then? I think I remember, but do I? You will know, these can be your journals. Of course I could have kept a journal with my thoughts but I didn’t, someone might have seen it!

31. jody says:

I am a yoga poser too, as I have 2 pairs of the black pants.

Good luck with the appraisal! Can’t wait to see the new kitchen!!

32. daring one says:

I really like when a grown woman calls herself a poser. Really like it. Now I might be missing something here. Are yoga pants actually supposed to be used for “yoga” yoga. I thought it was just a clever name. Hmmm…

33. cassie-b says:

Good luck on your appraisal. A new kitchen is a wonderful thing!

34. bonnie says:

But, does scrubbing floors increase strength, stamina, flexibility and balance while healing the body and mind?

Namaste!

35. Amy says:

I do love the use of the word “poser”, very 80’s.

36. adult direct tv says:

adult direct tv…

Scrubbing floors, the new yoga…