Thanksgiving quote

Thanksgiving quote

November 24, 2006

“Why do have ice cubes sitting on top of your turkey?” asked by my sister-in-law who had cooked the Thanksgiving dinner

“I am trying to get some moisture into the turkey because it is just SO dry.” answered my 9yr old son.

Ah children with their brutal honesty, saying what the rest of us wish we could say.

Comments

Is that a true story? It sounds too funny to be real. I hope you had a good one!

2. Wendy says:

Did it work? I never thought of that. Kids are so smart.

3. Tonja says:

LOL- how funny. I run a daycare out of my home and we had our Thanksgiving “feast” on Tuesday… my 4 yr old daycare girl didn’t want to eat her mashed potatoes and when I asked her why, she said “Cause they’re dry!”
    I KNOW she had to have heard that from someone, too little to make it up herself.

So what did your SIL say?

4. CathyC says:

That’s what happens when children are used to eatting GOOD food. They’ll expect good food all the time. HA! I would have loved to see the look on your SIL’s face.

5. meritt says:

*grinning*

6. cassie-b says:

Who knows? Maybe that would work.

Happy Thanksgiving (0nly a little late)

Cas

7. rachel says:

gravy is the answer to dry turkey.

i was so shocked to have moist turkey this year, we totally under-utilized the gravy. my mom brined it in apple cider. wowza

8. rachel says:

oh, and that’s what my kids would say too.

i hope your sil could laugh about it

9. Danielle says:

So Thanksgivings at your house next year now?

10. Amber says:

Ice cubes? If only it were so easy. We just drown ours in gravy… :-)

11. liz says:

At least the turkey was cooked — my family of four has spent Black Friday with stomach cramps, diarrhea and some vomit because of my mother-in-law’s questionable food storage practices. She likes to do things ahead so I have no idea when she cooked the turkey or how she stored it. It got up to 60 here yesterday and I have a bad feeling that she cooked the turkey on Wednesday and kept it in the garage. I don’t know if we will ever eat turkey again.

12. Finelly says:

Teehee

13. nabbalicious says:

Ha! Cute.

Amen, sister!

15. April says:

My mom’s turkey was moist for the first time ever yesterday…I thought something was wrong with it. :D

16. Suebob says:

Your kid is great.

Liz, I’m sorry you were a victim of Nutty Food Practices. I am a food sanitation Grinch - I made mom put dip back in the fridge after 2 hours today LOL.

17. ragamuffin says:

Ah-h-h, I don’t care for dry turkey, either. Tip from the book, Cheapskate in the Kitchen: pour broth or bouillion over the sliced turkey; cover with aluminum foil and stick it back in the oven for half an hour. Yummy!

18. julie says:

What a fun story that your family can laugh about for years to come.

19. cowmomba says:

You know your kids are homeschooled when the 9 year old uses “moisture” in perfect context and has a reasonable solution to dry turkey!

Gotta love it.
    I, too, would have loved to seen the look on the SILs face.

20. hui says:

I think that was kinda rude. He probably hurt her feelings, even if she laughed it off.

21. Brigitte says:

At that age, he probably wasn’t yet aware that calling it “dry” might be an insult (though I’m sure he is now) - after all, it still TASTED good and he was planning to eat it, as soon as it was properly moistened!

22. Christina says:

Kids put things into perspective, don’t they?

23. Grim Reality Girl says:

How hilarious!!! I would have paid money to be a fly on the wall for that one! We actually had the best turkey ever this year — and my DAD made it! The secret was the brining… who knew???

24. Stevie says:

Hey, a problem solver - I like him!

25. Margaret in Minnesota says:

Perhaps by the next holiday gathering you could ask your son to temper his sense of humor with a bit more propriety. He was, after all, your sister-in-law’s guest.

26. theotherbear says:

Haha - that’s too funny. Although now after reading some of your other commenters I feel guilty about finding it funny! If it were me that cooked it I would probably feel like crying. Because it’s someone else it was funny. Life’s like that? Maybe it’s a lesson to me that if someone says something like that and I AM the cook, I need to see the funny side! :)

That is great. One of those moments that will be brought up for years to be laughed at. For those who don’t find it funny, he was a nine year old after all!!

28. Chris says:

I almost peed myself reading this one… Hilarious!!!

29. Margaret says:

That is hilarious! I keep giggling to myself whenever I think of what your 9 yr old said

30. chris says:

My son didn’t say it to be rude. The turkey was dry, disgustingly dry, as it is every year. My sister in law cooks it the day before, cuts it all up into tiny pieces and puts it into a baking pan. Then she REHEATS it in the oven Thanksgiving Day. ANy moisture there was in the turkey is long gone by the time it makes it to the table.

She’s a big girl, I think she can get over being told the truth by a 9yr old.

Liz… I feel for you, my sister-in-law is one with those questionable food practices too. Drives me crazy.

31. lorriane says:

Why on earth would you cook a turkey the day before? Why not just cook it the day of? Go figure.

32. Rae says:

Hopefully she’ll take heed! Everyone knows there’s nothing worse than dry turkey. Except for dry mashed potatoes, that is.

33. liz says:

My brother-in-law tells me that my MIL cooked the turkey on Wednesday and figured it would be okay sitting out overnight since she didn’t have refrigerator space for it!!! This is making me sick all over again. The sad thing is that I live 4 blocks away from her and have two ovens (plenty of room to cook the bird on the day) and two refrigerators (plenty of room to store the bird if you insist on the vile option of cooking it the day before) and the other daughter-in-law lives 4 more blocks past me (more refrigerator space). My very kind husband has offered to take me on a fabulous vacation next Thanksgiving to avoid the situation next year, but our kids are high school swimmers and can’t miss practice. I may never eat another meal at her house again.

34. InterstellarLass says:

That’s hilarious!

35. Joy H says:

Hey — many 9yo boys would likely say ‘this sucks’ so I’m thinking Chris’ little guy was pretty creative and handled it.

We host b/c my dh refuses to eat dry turkey.

36. Stephanie says:

that is soooooo funny!
    what a smart kid!!

37. Alice H says:

@liz -

so your kids will miss less practice if you go to your MIL’s and get food poisoning, or worse, if someone dies, than if your husband took you on a fabulous vacation?

Back when I worked outside the home, we had a Thanksgiving dinner at work. My boss offered to bring the turkey. She brought it - and kept it in her office on a table from when she got to work at 7 am until the meal at 1:00. And then her feelings were hurt when no one would eat it.

38. Carolie says:

I love it…he wasn’t being mean, he was being matter of fact and politely answering an adult who asked him a question.

My youngest brother once asked politely for “more milk please. This chicken soaked up all my spit.”

39. Notes from the Trenches » says:

[...] So instead of doing any of the productive things that I had originally planned for this week, like brushing my hair and getting dressed, I have been busy cleaning random things in my house. Because my sister in law is a cleaning freak. Yes, a freak. She may not be able to cook a turkey, but damn she can clean. She cleans her windows with q-tips to get in all the grooves. Which is fine for her. I never worry about catching germs when I go to her house. In fact I worry that when I take off my shoes, that my socks are going to tarnish her perfect floors. [...]