No, just no

No, just no

December 6, 2006

I was hoping there would be a miracle. Isn’t this supposed to be the season for miracles? I had been hoping that this would end up being a frightening footnote in their otherwise long and happy lives. A story that they would tell their grandchildren, together, around the table at holidays.

My heart aches. And I am at a loss for words.

Rest in peace, James. Rest in peace.

Comments

1. Sandy says:

I was hoping for the same thing. Praying for his family now. :~(

2. Kate says:

I was hoping that as well. so sad

3. Emily says:

damn! me too.

4. Alice H says:

Me three.

If anyone comes up with an address to send condolences to, please let me know

I literally cried “NO!” outloud when I heard it on the radio today.

What a heartbreaking end to their story.

6. Blaine says:

That is SOOOO sad! I have been following this story religiously since I first heard it. What a terrible, tragic end.

May his family feel the peace that passes understanding during this most difficult time.

7. Jenn says:

It brought forth immediate tears when I logged onto CNet and saw his picture with his birth and death years.

Ohhh, how I wanted that miracle. So so sad!

8. Joy H says:

Horrible doesn’t even describe it.

May they have peace during this difficult time.

9. jody2ms says:

DAMN!!!

I am so saddened by this. Like you said, I was so hoping it would end in triumph, with them finding him alive and well.

10. nabbalicious says:

I was, too. It’s such a sad story.

11. Novaks8 says:

God Bless him and keep him.

13. Elizabeth says:

It is so sad - and yet, I am still so impressed with Kati’s actions to save herself and her children in such an unexpected circumstance. I hope I could do the same, although of course I hope more that I never have to.

14. Charlotte says:

I was so said to hear the news. I really thought he would make it!!

15. Erika says:

such a sad day :(

16. Kate says:

Oh no I am so sorry for that family. What a tragic end.

17. Annie says:

Please see http://www.jamesandkati.com for information on sending condolences. Being from the Bay Area, I hadn’t realized how far this story had spread. A very sad day.

I actually cried when I heard the news, I have been watching for info online, praying he would be found alive. The really sad thing is, he was so determined to live and get to where he was going, trying desperately to save his beautiful little family. They said he got pretty far in that unreachable area. To die alone the way he did, just breaks my heart. I hope his family will somehow find some peace. :(

19. Cathy C says:

My heart nearly jumped out of my chest tonight when I heard on the news that James was found dead. I’m just so sad for that family. Somehow that mother and her children will go on, and James will be at their side, just in a different way.

20. kathy says:

I am one of the least informed people on the planet of the Earth (especially when it comes to US issues). So why was it that I had NPR on the last couple days and followed the story? I was shocked today. Shocked and saddened. I was in CA when the young Army couple had a radically different outcome (don’t remember if the news made the right coast) and had so hoped for the same. What a terrible blow for the wife and kids.

21. Pastormac's Ann says:

So sad. He made such a valiant effort.

I had been following this story too…Gizomodo first alerted me to it, and I had a bad feeling about it from the beginning. I’m glad the girls made it OK, but I was so hoping James would be brought back to them :(

23. lovely says:

so sad
    i was hoping for the best

kathleen

24. Mons says:

I had no doubt in my mind that he would be found alive. When I read the news, the bottom fell out of my stomach.

25. pbockenp says:

I so wanted it to turn out different. It is too painful to imagine what Kati is going through. I hope he knew that his children and wife were rescued and can rest in peace.

26. Kellie says:

How very very sad, my thoughts go out to this family.
    I am a strong believer in the GPS and I do not venture into the mountains on snow covered roads.
    I was thrilled when I heard that kati and the girls survived and were found, i hoped that james would be found next perhaps having found shelter somewhere..how very very sad.

27. Lori says:

i live in portland and we have been following this since day one on the news. i am so sad…this is truly a tragic ending. the area that he was found in is so rough and rugged. he truly wanted to save his family.

28. InterstellarLass says:

I’m so sad that this is the outcome. That poor family.

29. Melissa says:

He just tried so hard. They both tried so hard to keep those babies safe. I hope that he knows they are alive and well and his efforts were not in vain.

So sad. It’s funny, I can listen to the news and most of the horrible stories can just pass right over me, but not this one. I feel so sorry for the family. I have cried for them more than once. I was so hoping they would find James Kim alive. He was only trying to protect his family. My prayers go out to the Kim family.

31. Shelby says:

I was hoping the same thing. It’s just awful! He tried so hard to save his family. I prayed for a different outcome. Prayers to all family and friends. Rest in Peace

32. jaime says:

I cried when I saw it on the news. He seemed like a great guy. I pray for his wife and kids. My husband goes ballistic if I’m ever really late without calling, solely because Ava & I are his life, his joy. He doesn’t want anything bad to happen to us. I can only imagine the pain Kati feels now.

33. Sunny says:

Such a sad story. I pray they get through this difficult time.

34. Jodi says:

I was so hoping and praying that they would find him safe. I am so sad for the wife and kids. They had a good man.

35. Meghan says:

That was heartbreaking news. What a wonderful father. What a loss. It hits close to home, because it could have been any of us, out there with our children and vulnreable to life-threatening elements.

36. Becky says:

Oh! You said exactly what I thought. I hoped that there was a better ending, for those children, for their poor mother.

I felt such a strong connection to them and tears come to my eyes everytime I think of the struggle they endured and they struggle they have yet to face. I don’t know why it has affected me so strongly.

38. Sarah says:

I was crying this morning when I heard the news story… My 4yr. old and barely 1 yr. old both got big sloppy kisses - as well, of course, as my husband this morning!!

39. steph says:

thank you for posting the website with the email contact.

40. Rae says:

This has been one of the only things on my mind for the last few days. There is nothing to do but *feel*, and feel hard.

41. rachel says:

it’s a haunting story. I was hoping so hard for a good ending. How horrifying.

42. Casey says:

hi newbie just foudn your website and felt the need to comment. I had been hoping myself that they would find him. Losing your partner is hard enough but with two young children at xmas time i can only imagine the heartbreak and tears that those kids shed everynight because they want their daddy.