Accomplishments

Accomplishments

December 20, 2006

On my long, long to do list I have crossed off one item.

I have ordered a new battery for my laptop. A girl has to have priorities you know.

Other things that I have accomplished that were not on my list:

Load all garbage into the back of the van to bring to the dump. Arrive at the dump 5 minutes after it closed for the day.

Clean green magic marker off of the every wall that my 2 yr old happened to walk by while I was busy folding laundry and not keeping my eagle eyes on him.

Clean green magic marker off of all visible skin on the same 2 yr old. Lament the fact that he shoved the magic marker deep inside of his ear where I can not reach with a washcloth and now it looks as though he has some sort of green fugus growing there. On the plus side, the grandparents will LOVE it and it will give them something to talk about after they leave.

Throw green marker away in fit of anger.

Clean up broken snow globe from my ever dwindling snow globe collection. Perfect my martyr routine by whining and ranting about how I can never have anything nice.

Mentally berate self for acting like a toddler.

Superglue red glitter onto daughter’s red sparkly shoes. In process end up with a now glittery superglue bottle stuck to fingers.

Clean up my weight in paper scraps after showing the kids how to make these:

Paper snowflake

Because then they had to make about fifty of them. And because larger is better:

Large paper snowflake

Their bedrooms are now very festive.

(thanks to kerflop for the link to the instructions)

Dig green marker out of the garbage after it is brought to my attention that a green marker is essential for all Christmas themed drawings.

Look at original to do list and weep a little.

Comments

1. Christina says:

I’ll have to try those, they look beautiful!

2. Sara says:

I suppose I’ll have to drop parts of my to-do list and try those fab snowflakes as well.

3. Julie says:

Wow, those are cool snowflakes! My brain is reeling with possibilities. Never a good thing when I legitimate work to do. Hello new procrastination activity!

4. Scout's Honor says:

Can you send us directions for those snow flakes? Those are fabulous. You are soooo crafty. With our recent power outage, I could trade a you an electricity challenged recipe for chipotle chicken quesidillas. Sounds fair, eh?

5. Scout's Honor says:

Duh, just noticed the link. Going there now.Thanks!

6. jody2ms says:

Those are so cool! My kids will have a blast, especially Quinn. He is constantly using scissors to make projects…..guns, hammers etc.

7. meritt says:

I forgot all about that style of snowflake! I’ve not seen one in about 20 years. Hmmmmm. I’m thinking you need to post instructions and let the rest of us in on the fun. ;)

8. Sarah says:

Great link to the craft project! I’m going to make them this afternoon with my kid :)

9. Shannon says:

I have been reading here a few months and I have never posted but today is the day. I too have 7 children just a few years older. 18 yrs to 5 yrs. I laugh out loud at your posts because they are eerily similar to my life! Kudos to home schooling them. We live in a very small town where I feel comfortable with the public education system and feel very lucky to have that. Anyway, I love your site, thanks so much and happy holidays.

10. InterstellarLass says:

Hey, 1 item off the list…that’s progress! Just remember, baby steps.

11. CathyC says:

I’m glad you ordered that battery!
    Your boys are precious! And great job on the snow flakes.

12. Annalise says:

Those snowflakes are extremely cool.

Fwiw, we too have arrived at the dump just after it’s closed - absolutely infuriating!

13. Cathy says:

Another thing to do before mom arrives - make Fruit Cake. Really, you must have this recipe.

14. Kristen says:

Okay, two things:

1.) Those paper snowflakes are AWESOME.
    2.) I’ve been weeping over my to-do list and I only have two children. I feel like a heel.

15. Kate says:

Good luck! I have a list I have not even worked at yet. Must get it done!

16. Daisy says:

I am going to try these snowflakes tonight. If I can make them, my students can. It might keep them busy and productive and get the room looking pretty.

17. Linds says:

And you wouldn’t change a thing about your day would you????! The snowflakes (and boys) are great.

18. julie says:

My snow globe collection has been desimated also. Great snowflakes!

19. Novaks8 says:

I will add those to my list of THINGS TO KEEP KIDS BUSY SO I DONT GO INSANE

The park was today.

I also do that same rant about not being able to have nice things.

I want one of those little zen fountains in my room and one of those soothing CDs but I know they would be like a great big magnet for my kids!

Maybe I should start with a big master-lock on the door!

Cool snowflakes! We made some yesterday afternoon. Thanks for the link!
    Good luck on your to do list. I haven’t wrapped even one present. I guess I’ll pull an all-nighter Christmas Eve. Again.

21. Meg says:

Those are awesome! Wow, I was sorely in need of some new crafts…not really, but I can’t not do a craft when one is presented to me.

22. Crisanne says:

My 2 yr old son did the same thing to his ears with an orange and a green marker several weeks ago. His ears were stained for the longest time!! He’s had a few ear infections and I wonder what the doctors think about his orange and green tinged ears…

23. Dana Stephenson says:

Hey, we made the 3D snowflakes in our house too!

24. Kristie says:

Your posts, attitude, and hysterical outlook on life are like a Christmas gift to the rest of us. And if its ok, I’d rather have that than the garbage you couldn’t leave at the dump. :)

25. Jenny says:

Man, you made me weepy. And I’ve got nothing in particular to cry about. Waaaa!

26. Playdate Susan says:

Those snowflakes! Are AWESOME!

All I’ve done is drink. And mop the kitchen floor, which was way more fun after a few drinks.

(Kidding. Not about the floor, about the drinking. In case anyone is worried. Although you SHOULD be worried that I’m CLEANING.)

27. Meghan says:

I am in awe of your paper project. Seriously. Nice work.

28. Randa says:

Thank goodness there are others out there who act like toddlers. I seem to fall into the trap every day, and I only have one child to drive me to it. LOL about the green colored inner ear!

29. Erika says:

I have blue walls and a blue couch (blue from markers) :( I bought her an easel for xmas..er um santa did, but we dont do santa ;) Happy christmas and I hope its wonderful!

30. Elizabeth says:

I am very familiar with the how come I never get to have anything nice? rant. Sorry to hear about your snow globe :(

I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas!

31. kathy says:

Thank you so much! I just put some lights up in the trailer yesterday but haven’t figured out how to decorate without adding weight. Still have to figure out what to do for a tree, but these are a GREAT idea. THANK YOU!