a new addition to the family

a new addition to the family

December 30, 2006

newest member of the family

It is probably pathetic the level of excitement I have over a vacuum.

Comments

It sure is a beauty! From the things I have heard lately a Dyson is the must have accessory for the winter.

2. Daisy says:

Beautiful! Waxing poetic over a lovely vaccuum is no problem. Some bloggers post video of their Roombas. I totally understand.

3. annette says:

Reminds me of the pride I had in the addition of our front load extra large capacity front load washer and dryer! Hey, to do a good job you have to start with the right tools!

Congratulations! :)

4. anna says:

I have lusted after one of those, but we don’t have any carpets and thus have no use for a stand up vacuum. Totally understand how thrilled you are. I think the best things we have should be the things we use every day…Have fun!

5. Playdate Susan says:

I so want one of those. The pink one, I think.

6. Karly says:

The first thing I thought when I saw that was “oh, you bitch!” I’m very, very jealous…

7. daring one says:

You did not! I’m so happy for you. Any stretch marks?

8. Cheryl says:

Chris - it’s a lovely addition to your family! Happy New Year!

9. meritt says:

Everyone I know gets that excited about their Dyson.

I got mine in November of 2004. It’s purple, just like the sidebars of your blog. LOL.

10. Sweety says:

that is beautiful- I want a Roomba- the less work I have to do, the better!

11. kristy says:

ohh, I got one of those last year and I love it!! congrats on the addition! :)

12. Lisa says:

Awwww, man, now I’m jealous!! I’m waiting for our vacuum to die so we can go and get a Dyson…even though they cost WAY more than our carpet is even worth! I want the purple one, not because I think the features of the purple one are better or anything, just ‘cuz I like purple!

13. kate says:

NOT at ALL I love that vacum I have it it is by far the greatest!

14. Blaine says:

That was the new addition at our house last Christmas. Love it!! Congrats!!!!!!

15. owlhaven says:

I informed hubby yesterday that our next vacuum will be a Dyson. He informed me right back that we have only gotten part of the use out of the $700 vacuum we currently own.

I wonder how many much duct tape a vacuum can have wrapped around it before it can be called all used up?

Enjoy. tell me how it works. I’ll enjoy vicariously.

Mary, mom to many

16. Deb says:

DUDE I am so seriously jealous it is not funny
    dammit…. It truly is sad but I want one so bad.
    It is fabulous ? Is it really as good as they say?
    sigh……

17. Rebecca says:

Ok… that vacuum is enough to make me jump out of lurkdom. I’ve had it almost 2 years and still am in complete love with it. My husband bought it for me while he was in Iraq and I told him that it was sleeping on his side of the bed and they could fight it out when he came back. I love it *that much*.

I have very little carpet, but I use it in place of sweeping also.

Congrats, and EXCELLENT choice.

18. Liz in Australia says:

My husband and I joke that the only reason we got married was because my parents said they would give us a Dyson for a wedding present *g* I love, love, love it. Ours is green and purple, and when my toddler was about 18mos old I found a child-sized toy Dyson in the same colours at a thrift store. Now whenever I vacuum, she has to get her little one and vac along with me…

19. Elizabeth says:

We have four kids and a dog, and our Dyson is an integral part of our family :-)
    When the first one gave up and died after 6 years of overuse, we went straight out and bought another one !

20. taffi says:

It’s nice to see other people get that giddy over a vacuum. I’ll have to tell my hubby I’m not the only one. I *heart* my Dyson.

21. Debbie says:

Are they new over there? Had ours a long while. I feel so effiecient when I see how much dirt I’ve picked up!

You’re excitement reminds me of my mother who once rang me to say she had bought a new iron and was now going to iron some clothes, or the time when she was happy she had bought new hoover bags.

It’s marrying men. We have to settle for so very little with them that we get excited over things that *work*

22. Tara says:

You will love it. I adore mine.

It is a little scary how much dirt it picks up. You think the house is clean, but uh huh!

23. Toni says:

I am SO jealous!

24. ali says:

my sister in law got a vacuum for christmas and i was actually jealous…as i sat there opening up my gifts…jealous! over a vacuum!

25. moi says:

Nothing odd about it - I love my Dyson and freely tell people how much I love my Dyson (purple). Unless you actually own one, I don’t think you can thoroughly understand the level of excitement, rofl. And, frankly, unless you have a hubby and kids, and animals, I don’t think you’ll comprehend how a plastic vacuum can be exciting, lol. Single people shake their heads.

26. Denise says:

My ex mother in law and I talked on the phone on Christmas day for about a half hour about her love for her brand new vacuum cleaner. I can totally relate to how she feels. I feel that way about the new toaster oven that I got. I think it means we are old - and we have too many damn children. Heh.

27. Wendy says:

I love that vacuum, too and love it. I dont use it much, because I let the housekeeper do the upstairs, where there is carpet.

If you have tile anywhere in your home, then you will absolutely be beside yourself if you get the Hoover Floormate. That is my current affair. I do the downstair floors and this thing is the greatest. You can use it on hardwood and other hard flooring, but I like it best for tile.

Enjoy.

28. jody2ms says:

Oh! She is beautiful! Did she latch on good her first time?

Smoking a cigar here for you.

29. nabbalicious says:

Pathetic? No way! Dysons are the best invention ever!

30. Mamalee says:

I fell in love with my washer and dryer I got for Christmas, too! I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO understand your delight!

xoxo

31. sweethomealagirl says:

Ooooooo….I want one of those. But my DH tells me that there’s no way he’ll be paying that much for a vacuum. Heh. We’ll see…

32. SJ says:

I’m so jealous. I want the purple.

33. Crisanne says:

Smart move…We LOVE ours! I got mine for valentines a couple of years ago. It’s well worth the $!

34. Julia says:

I love our Dyson- excellent choice!
    When we moved to the Bay Area from Michigan and had to fit everything in the back of our Rav4 - there was no furniture we came with but leaving Dyson behind was not even a question. I literally get a physical pleasure out of vacuuming with it! :”) I am weird like that :)

35. Julie says:

Oh, little D is adorable!

When I was about 6 my parents bought my grandparents a new vacuum and I thought it was the most un-fun gift ever. When Grandma cried (I kid you not, she cried) I figured it was b/c she hated it. No, she was just thrilled beyond words. A new vacuum…ah.

And a Dyson, of course, is actually a few levels more evolved than your typical vacuum. So, y’know, bring on the tears.

So jealous!

36. Erika says:

soooo jealous!!

37. Tammie says:

I LOVE IT!!!

There is something to be said about having a good vacuum. I’m sure it will get a ton of use at your house.

tam

38. Jordana says:

I got really excited when I got a new vacuum 6 months ago and I just got a Roomba for Christmas. I love the Roomba so much, I take visitors in to show it to them.

39. Joy H says:

My SIL got a Dyson and was drooling as much as you :)

Now, I need to learn more about this Floormate thingie. I have tile that drives me bats.

40. Lori says:

I love my Dyson and highly recommend them to everyone. Enjoy! Happy New Year!

41. kerflop says:

Love isn’t a strong enough word to describe the emotion I have for my Dyson. I am devoted.

42. Mandi says:

Jealous!! I want one so bad. I’m sure that if anyone could use it, it’s your family. It’s amazing how fast kids manage to destroy and dirty up a room (house). Have ‘fun’ vacuuming. :D

43. Darren McLikeshimself says:

Congratulations! You two will be VERY happy together!

If I’d gotten that one, I’d be just as excited!!!!

45. mary anne says:

Every time we move our vacuum breaks. The day the movers arrived last February true to form the old hoover gave it up. My husband ran out and bought a dyson. It is without a doubt the best machine I’ve ever used.
    mak

I have had the purple one, the Animal, for several years now and I love it. This year for Christmas I got the brand new hand-held Dyson and I love it too, especially for use on my stairs, along baseboards, and other nooks and cranies. My husband thought I was crazy when I said that’s what I wanted for Christmas, but I see I’m in good company with so many other Dyson lovers!

47. Elizabeth says:

What is funny isn’t that you posted, but that SO many people commented on it! I am an Oreck person, so I guess I haven’t been converted yet. From the comments it sounds almost inevitable, though. Just keep those Kirby people away from me - I knew one who ran her Kirby every night so there would be vacuum lines to greet her every morning.

48. Beckik says:

oh, I totally understand. I have the Animal; its three years old now and works just as well as day one! Enjoy!

49. graceful says:

My Mom, my younger sister, and I bought one of those for my older sister this Xmas! She’s tried it out a number of times and loves it!

50. Lillesol says:

I LOVE Dyson!!! In fact, when I moved from Australia to the US I had my house especially wired with 220volt outlets so that I could continue to use my Dyson (I know, it’s a bit insane . . . but it was a special canister style that you couldn’t yet find in the States!!!). I just replaced it with an upright Dyson (110volt American style), which I also love (although, there’s just something special about those canisters . . .

Anyway, good for you. You won’t know yourself, once you really start to use it!!

51. Suburban Turmoil says:

I have one in pink and I LOVE it. Watch out for The Noise, though, when you’ve got it on the carpet setting. If you don’t know what I’m talking about yet, you will soon enough. :)

52. rebecca says:

I love that inventor-guy’s accent: “I hed it!” I wish I hed a Dyson. Congrats!

53. rebecca says:

P.S. regarding the comment above mine: don’t know what specifically The Noise is, but I always vacuum with earplugs in (and when I use the hairdryer, too) — am I the only one who does this? I just can’t bear those loud noises.

54. Miss Peach says:

I’m envious! My mom just got a new vaccuum which she kindly let me use regularly while I was home (*cough cough* she loves when I’m home to help out) and I came to appreciate how fantastic a good vaccuum is. She didn’t get a Dyson though so I’m still waiting to try one out!

55. ben says:

I want to sleep with my Dyson. My wife, however, is against this; and I understand the Texas Legislature is about to pass a constitutional amendment against it as well.

I may just have to move.

Best vacuum I have ever had, and I’ve had a lot :)