death warmed over would be an improvement

death warmed over would be an improvement

January 3, 2007

I was sick with some sort of plague flu like thing last week. I spent the entire day before New Years Eve laying on the couch doing nothing. Not one thing did I do above lift my hand to reach for the remote control. I hated every minute of it. It despise being sick.

At one point I moaned loudly and said, “I really wanted to spend the day using my new vacuum.”

To which Rob responded, “Wow, you really are sick.”

Slowly I began to feel better and the blinding headaches and fever went away,now I am left with the joint pain and muscle aches. I feel like I have just rowed in the Head of the Charles, when in reality I have done little more than sit and type.

I was up until 3:40 in the morning last night unable to sleep. Watching the minutes tick by on the clock, mentally deducting how much time I had to sleep if I fell asleep RIGHT THAT SECOND. My muscles and joints were killing me. I should have gotten out of bed earlier than 3:40 to find some Advil to take, but I was tired and kept hoping that I would just fall asleep and be able to ignore it. I wasn’t.

At 7:00am I was awoken by a little hand slapping my face, gently at first and then with ever increasing intensity. I tried my best to ignore it. Finally I opened my eyes my daughter was in bed next to me, “Oh are you awake, Mommy?”

Of course one of my first thoughts was Lyme Disease. Ever since my oldest son got it two summers ago it is the primary thing in my mind whenever one of us gets sick. No matter what the symptoms may be. But my husband reminded me that a person would actually have to go outside the house to get bitten by a tick. And that this really isn’t the season for that to happen.

If this is how my little kids have been feeling, then it is no wonder why they wanted me to hold them can carry them around. I’d like to have someone carry me around, while I just grunted and leaned in the general direction I wanted to go.

Also I’d like a massage.

And someone to cook dinner for me.

And some earplugs.

And while I am at it world peace.

And some cookies that aren’t frozen.

Comments

1. Toni says:

Hope you feel better soon!:)

2. Kellie says:

Sending get better wishes NOW!! I don’t cook, I CAN massage, I HAVE earplugs and a HUGE bottle of Advil. Will work on the world peace thing and have non-frozen, rather tasty cookies…

3. Mir says:

Ohhhh noooooooooo! I’m sorry you’ve been felled by the plague. The day I finished my antibiotics for the sinus infection I got another cold. That was plenty annoying, so I cannot imagine how disgruntled you must be. (Completely without gruntles, is my guess.)

Feel better soon!

4. rachel says:

i hope you’re feeling better soon. plagues aren’t supposed to attack nice people!

and it can be lyme, the 3 girls all got lyme this fall/winter because of how warm it is. Western Blot test rocks, I say go for it.

5. Erika says:

I had that bug and am still feeling the after effects of it, soar throat, blocked ears. it sux

6. Playdate Susan says:

I have that, too, and to help me feel better, the boys staged a rock concert this afternoon.

A six-year-old and a four-year-old with a drum, a ukelele, a LOT of energy, and NO musical training will give you a migraine. Just so you know.

Oh I hope you’re feeling better again soon. I think the plague is really going around right now!

If I were nearby, I would totally cook you dinner and even defrost the cookies for you.

8. Lena says:

“I’d like to have someone carry me around, while I just grunted and leaned in the general direction I wanted to go.”

Easily the funniest thing I have read all week. Ha!

9. Mocha says:

I believe that you and I had a date for some deep fried cookies.

You have no idea how much I still want that to happen.

10. Brigitte says:

If the aches don’t go away, I’d get tested anyway. It’s been warm enough that the ticks are still out there (instead of properly frozen or hibernating or whatever they usually do this time of year). And I assume the kids are probably going outside, and when they come back in, who do they go to? Who handles their possibly-infested clothes? Technically, YOU don’t have to go outside to meet a tick.

Sorry, didn’t want to get you all paranoided-up again, but I also didn’t want you to think that you were crazy and it was totally outside the realm of probability . .

11. Brigitte says:

Ooh, what’s that about deep-fried cookies?

12. Darren McLikeshimself says:

Feel better, Chris.

13. blairzoo says:

So sorry you’re sick. That is the pits. Have you considered 5th disease? I’m only mentioning it because we had a huge round of it in our town a few years ago. Lots of kids got it and were fine in a day or two, but most the adults who got it had lingering joint problems for a while. Something to consider…..at any rate, hope you feel well soon.

14. Sara says:

Feel better soon!

Get well soon!!

16. Pamela says:

Oh Chris, I have just the thing to make you feel better, though it would involve you leaving the house and that doesn’t sound feasible at the moment. Remember when you wrote the post about being too cold to read in bed and how you wished someone would invent something to keep your uncovered body bits warm? Well I got the best Christmas gift ever and it does just that. It’s this heated mattress pad and it makes your whole body toasty warm so that even your exposed-to-the-elements arms and head stay warm. I shut it off when I get into bed cuz I’m not sure about the radiational whatever it might give off. But it’s so good. I think mom got it from Sears. Feel better soon.

17. liz says:

Ooh, hoping that today finds you feeling better.

18. annette says:

Blairzoo,

I am glad I read your post. I just went to the MD yesterday with joint achiness complaints that are just now getting some better after 3 weeks and he said he thought it was the virus related to 5th disease. He is doing a full blood work up anyway, but nice to hear it from another source. Chris, I shared this post with my husband because of my current symptoms. Hope yours is resolved quickly!

God Bless!

Annette

19. Deborah says:

Sorry you’re feeling punky. Rest and you’ll feel better soon. And there’s nothing wrong with eating frozen cookies. I make that same mistake every year when Girl Scout cookies come around. “I’ll just put a tube in the freezer then I’ll forget all about them, and have them next week!” Yeah right! Frozen Thin Mints rock! You do too!