once the tallest building in NYC

once the tallest building in NYC

February 5, 2007

Hotel Chelsea

Now a funky old hotel that is just a slight step up from sleeping on a heating grate outside on the sidewalk. I might be exaggerating, but only slightly.

Also, the place where Sid stabbed Nancy.

Comments

1. kate says:

I am taking it from this post it was not five stars?

2. j0lt says:

Don’t tell me you stayed there! My parents stayed there once. I’ve been inside. It’s got all these artists living there permanently and is definitely not a romantic place. Funky, yes, but not the place I’d want to be for a weekend for 2 in the city.

3. Novaks8 says:

Hope you had a good time~!

4. Artemis Rich says:

The Chelsea. Heh. Yeah. I’ve stayed there. On my first trip to NYC in 1988. It was booked by my girlfriend who thought it was cool and very punk rock. We even had a room on the second floor and tried to figure out if it was *the* room where Sid stabbed Nancy.

Horrible, horrible hotel. I could tell you stories, but it’d take up way too much space. Perhaps I should blog it? Hmmmm…wonder where my journal is from that year?

5. Annika says:

I used to live a few blocks from there. This picture took my breath away.

6. marta says:

wow!, the chelsea hotel. not far is the ymca, and that is definitely the seediest place in nyc: we were there on our 1st time in nyc and penniless as we were, all we wanted was to upgrade to the chelsea…
    now, just to think about crossing the atlantic with 3 kids makes me wish i was back in 93, penniless in the ymca in NEW YORK CITY!
    Hope you’ve enjoyed your stay without kids!

Marta from Lisbon, Portugal

7. Nancy says:

Please blog more about the fashion show! Did you meet any celebs? Did you take photos?

8. Miss Peach says:

Ooh, that place is creepy. Glad you survived!

9. Lauren says:

Hahaha, I love it — I always wonder if anyone who isn’t an artist or a crackwhore stays there when I walk by. And now I know. Rock!

10. The Wooden Porch says:

I’m enjoying these comments here. Sounds like a fun place to blog about. :-)

11. Grim Reality Girl says:

I have never been to New York City. I often wonder if it is a trip I should take, just to wonder at the history…. I think the WTC site would make me too sad. I love Chicago….

Taking photos in NYC would be fun though… post more!!!

12. nabbalicious says:

Oh, no. My comment didn’t post! It said, approximately:

HOLY CRAP YOU WENT TO THE CHELSEA HOTEL.

I am radioactive green with envy. The punk fifteen-year-old in me is dying to stay there someday.

Also? You were right around the corner from a Chiptole.

13. Sarah in the Sand says:

Gorgeous, post more photos! Groovy hotel, think of it as an adventure. I am soooo missing America, there’s just nowhere else that compares. Anywhere…

ACK! You should have stayed at the Waldorf! (Okay, I’m not a snob, the only reason I stayed at the Waldorf was because we used five year’s worth of my husband’s Hilton points.)

I can’t wait to hear about the fashion show!

15. GraceD says:

Oh God, ‘Sid and Nancy’, great couple, great flick. After I saw the movie, I did Nancy imitations for months. It went something like this:

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDD!

Hopefully you channeled Nancy at your hubs while you were there. Without stabbing him, of course.

16. AHCB says:

We’d love to hear more about your stay at the famed Hotel Chelsea. Was it really that bad?

17. site says: