where to begin…

where to begin…

February 6, 2007

The longer I go without writing, the more difficult that it becomes to actually do it.

The fashion show was cool, in a “that was fun let me check it off of my list of things to do in this lifetime so I don’t have to do it again” sort-of way. I think having children has made me very impatient. Every moment that I am away from them I want to use to it’s fullest. Standing in a mass of people waiting to get into the fashion show feels like a colossal waste of my precious child-free time.

I didn’t get very many good photos of the fashion show. A combination of dark lighting, people in front of me, and models who who kept moving.

Here is a photo from my seat before the show began. The woman sitting right in the middle of the photo is some famous person, I don’t know who though.

the crowd at the fashion show

This is probably the only non-blurry photo that I took:

the only in focus photo I took at the fashion show

After the fashion show was over I met up with Rob, who had been to the hotel already and begged me to keep an open mind and think of it as an adventure. And since it was too late to cancel our reservation anyway, I agreed. I am hip and cool and adventurous!

We went and had a quick lunch. At the coffee shop that is also a bar.

it's a coffee shop... AND a bar

It reminded me of a 1950’s style diner with a bar inside.

I walked by and looked longingly at the Marriot, knowing that inside there were clean beds, spacious rooms, and showers with hot water. All the things that spoiled people like me enjoy.

Marriot in Times Square

From here we went to the hotel. And I think it probably deserves a post all of it’s own. (Actually, my kids are scrounging around for breakfast and demanding I make them something, completely not caring that I have more important things to do like type on my blog. Like they didn’t just eat yesterday.)

Comments

1. Carola says:

I am enjoying your thoughts about your trip to NYC. I went there with my husband a couple of years ago and liked it a lot. I now want to see the city through your eyes.

Glad you had a good time. Can’t wait to hear more about the hotel.

I know what you mean about taking full advantage of child-free time and I only have one.

Don’t you a have a picture of your beautiful self in your red necklace?

I wrote like 2 sentences about our trip to NYC back in November, I feel bad about not saying more. And you’re right, the longer you are back in your normal life, the easier it is to not write about it.

Welcome back!

Glad you enjoyed it a little bit at least. I feel the same way about my child-free time, one of the reasons we haven’t been to a movie in a very long time–you can’t talk or do anything else while you are there!

I can’t wait to hear about The Hotel.
    Why do kids have to eat, anyway.

6. Kate says:

I used to live in Union Square and would meet clients at The Coffee Shop for breakfast, because it was convenient and the food wasn’t bad (even if it wasn’t especially good, either). But can you believe that place, which essentially IS an over-priced coffee shop with a bar, has long, long lines for brunch on the weekends? It’s a huge NYU hangout at night, too. We never understood it.

7. Kate says:

Also, I forgot to say, I can’t wait to hear what you thought of the Chelsea Hotel. It’s certainly got history!

Now the Leonard Cohen song about it is running through my head.

8. CathyC says:

Tell us about the hotel!!! I hope you took pics of the room.

9. Miz Booshay says:

Was that the fashion show that Kelly Ripa was in???
    Well, I think it’s really cool and exciting.

We once went to a hotel in Washington DC and my husband wouldn’t let us stay there.
    So we stayed at a place called the Mayflower instead. (It was famous and we didn’t know it…we were desperate and it was big and pretty and had flags flying out front. I think we are still paying for that hotel room)

10. surviving motherhood says:

what? You mean I should be feeding her every day? Ooops.

Damn those pesky models for moving so much! You’d think they’d stand still a bit for photos or something…at least walk more slowly.

11. Sarah G. says:

Hotwire, you’ve got to use Hotwire.

We got to stay at a 3 1/2 star hotel in NYC for about $150. Worth every penny for a clean and quite room with a fabulous staff.

12. nabbalicious says:

Yes, yes! Do tell more about the Chelsea Hotel.

Sounds like you had a really nice trip!

13. morgan says:

next time you need to ask ME where to go. ;)

14. Playdate Susan says:

You know what would have made the weekend PERFECT? Having me there.

Also, please for the love of all that is holy tell me you had a drink with lunch. PLEASE.

15. Darren McLikeshimself says:

Yep. Coffee Shop in Union Square. I used to have breakfast there every Sunday morning before Cowgirl started serving brunch.