Don’t be jealous men

Don’t be jealous men

February 12, 2007

Today I have my annual-ish obgyn appointment. I am so excited.

I can not believe that it has been over a year since I last heard the words, “Scoot down more to the end of the table. more…. more… more…” and “Let your legs flop open, like a frog.”

Also, I can’t wait to see if the poster of the kittens is still hanging on the ceiling. Nothing makes me forget the icy cold speculum like a cute poster of kittens with thought bubbles over their heads.

cat poster

In preparation of this visit I shaved my legs this morning. Yes, BOTH of them. I know, crazy. No one had better say that motherhood has made me boring and predicatable.

I will also be talking to her about switching to a different anti-depressant. The zoloft I am currently taking just isn’t doing it for me any longer. It has reached a point where the side effects are greater than the benefits, at least in my mind, which probably doesn’t say much.

Comments

1. Playdate Susan says:

For one small second, I thought you said you were going to ask your doctor about changing to a new ANTIPIRSPIRANT, and I was curious about what she might recommend, as my antiperspirant isn’t doing it for me any longer either.

I was thinking, wow that’s one HELPFUL doctor.

2. qtpies7 says:

Have fun today! My dh gets jealous, so I stopped shaving, lol. (he doesn’t buy the “your so special I don’t feel the need to shave for you.”)

3. Beth says:

I had my annual on Friday. Oh, the joy.

Mine’s next week. Dreading it already.

5. Sleeping Mommy says:

I hate those stupid kittens.

My appointment is in March. But we don’t have insurance right now and I’m not sure I’m up for spending the 200 plus dollars to have my privacy invaded, if you know what I mean. I’m considering postponing it….

6. khristalee says:

what! you get kittens!

7. Jess says:

You get kittens? I get a photo of a waterfall. Gee just what I want to be looking at while they are poking at my girly parts. Not the time you want to feel the urge to pee.

8. Woman with Kids says:

I have mine today too, six month check up on “bad cell removal.” I shaved, and trimmed. Hope he doesn’t think I have a crush on him…

I don’t get kittens, I get pictures of babies. And the knowledge that this doctor has seen the Vajayjays of each and every woman in my office. Huh.

9. Beth Z. says:

Ever hear a man complaining about the indignity of receiving a “digital exam”? My husband’s younger coworker was waiting with him to receive a required baseline physical, and was unpleasantly surprised to learn that the “digital” aspect has nothing to do with a clock.

No, men don’t get much sympathy from me. They’ve never been violated two ways down there. Not to mention the ice-cold breast smashing mammogram, but that’s another story.

10. Mommy of 2 says:

Why do Mondays (well, and Tues., Wed., Thurs., and Fri. for that matter) go by so slowly, but when I walk into the Dr. office for my yearly pap, I swear that I was JUST HERE last week-??

11. robiewankenobie says:

i had no idea quite how badly zoloft was for me until i was switched to something else. amazing! i’m almost like a real person, i swear!

12. TB says:

Oh the joys of being a woman. :)

tb

13. Anne Glamore says:

I’m with Susan. My antidepressant is fine, but my antiperspirant stinks. If you get info on that will you share so we don’t have to look at kittens?

14. Amanda Cowan says:

Oh Man. My husband thinks it’s funny that I pretty much shave more for my ob/gyn than I do for him.

15. Mrs. Schmitty says:

Ugh…you just reminded me, I have to make an appointment. gee..thanks! :)

16. tanilan says:

I love the kittens! Good luck at your appointment.

Hey, I get to look at the kittens, too. My appt. is next month. I can’t wait for that.
    My Dr. always says “you can never be too skinny or too close to the end of the table.” I guess that’s just a funny OB/GYN joke. Ha Ha. I forgot to laugh.
    Good luck!

18. Audrey says:

My favorite is when they say (after you’ve finally scooted down far enough): “just relax!” Um, no thanks — couldn’t relax like this if I wanted to!

19. Debbie says:

CIPRALEX (escitalopram oxalate). I have had no side effects. None. Not ONE. Ever. Go for it.

20. Sherri says:

OK, so now I’m feeling guilty since my annual is gone past annual and is now 18 monthal… sigh, time to make the oh joy phone call.

21. Bryanne says:

I had REALLY good luck with Lexapro!

And I’m so with you on the full-force awkwardness that is the annual “Well Woman” exam. My sister started working for my doctor and well, I had to find a new doctor after that. It’s bad enough that he “knew” me that well.

22. Maureen says:

I once had an ob/gyn who tacked Far Side cartoon posters on the ceiling.

23. InterstellarLass says:

Crud. You just reminded me I need to make my appt. :|

Seems you’ve done a public service…reminding everyone to do their checkups. Thank all that’s holy that mine isn’t due for another 4 month or more!!!

25. dawn says:

Wow the “annual” apppt….I am so jealous!!! hahahahaha Good luck!
    dawn

26. Crissy says:

Delurking to say my appointment was in December, but it’s time to make another one. (Gee, thanks.) My doctor books up 7-8 months in advance, she’s that good. She even gives me updates on the new latest “styles” down there. :)

27. lorriane says:

Okay….here it is! The best anti-perspirant. Donna Karan - Cashmere Mist! I have been using it for 3 years and have got all my girlfriends hooked on it too. It is expensive (around 18 bucks at Nordstrom’s)) but lasts for a year! Seriously, THE BEST!

28. Kate says:

Zoloft is currently working for me… sorry it’s not for you!

Wellbutrin gave me dizziness and headaches - however the upside is a VERY increased sex drive.

Cipralex gave me the most vivid dreams EVER. Every night. And also, NO sex drive. Pft.

But, they work differently in everyone, so good luck finding one that works for you!! :)

And thanks for the reminder that I need to book a doctor’s appointment. I don’t get any posters… I just count the holes in the dropped ceiling tiles.

29. slackermommy says:

I don’t get anything on my ceiling! I might have to put that in the suggestion box.

Also, I’m the Wellbutrin poster child. Can’t say enough about what a wonder drug it has been for me.

30. jody2ms says:

Lexapro is supposed to be very wonderful. I have several friends on it and none of them are having side effects. Not even when getting off of it. Bill says the generic or similiar drug is Celexa, and it is $4 a month at Walmart drug store.

31. Wendy says:

I am now on vitamins. No I am not a Tom Cruise follower, just hate taking meds. I was on Zoloft for 5 yrs in my early 20’s. It was okay, but ridiculous when you are up to 150mgs. Good Luck with the switch.

I always roll my eyes when I mention that my hubby should go for a prostrate (sp?) exam. He complains that it would be weird and uncomfortable. I ask him how does he think I feel being a hand puppet once a year. Better growing a life and then expelling it. Geesh!

32. Lena says:

Sure soft solid “unscented”

The best antiperspirant ever

Effexor has been forking for me for quite some time now on the anti-depressant front.

I never got kittens….

33. Elizabeth says:

My nurse practitioner does my exam and chatty-chat-chats the whole time so I have no idea what might be on the ceiling. She doesn’t keep me updated on styles “down there” - where’d you find that one, anyway? - but rather the latest female medical news. She had a new speculum this year that was plastic and actually lit up. Weird, huh? She used to warm the metal one in warm water and apolgized because the light-up one doesn’t really warm up, but I couldn’t much tell the difference. What did bother me was when she said “okay, this will feel like a big pinch” and I didn’t feel a single thing - making me think I am numb someplace I shouldn’t be.

34. Brigitte says:

I just get to count the holes in the ceiling too . . . my appointment is coming up soon as well. Can I still have PPD two years after giving birth? How do you even bring up these things to the doctor while she’s “in there”, I always feel too dumb to bring it up.

35. Jessica says:

I too am the kind of person who shaves her legs for her OB. Not for my husband mind you, but the OB yes… Because that’s what she’s focusing on.
    Luckily for my husband I’m pregnant so I shave once a month now!

36. Natalie says:

Way to go, Lexapro! I have decided that I am a much better person when I am on it. Beware, it took away my sense of “fullness” when I ate, thus gained 20 lbs. that I am struggling to get off.

All I get to look at is a picture my Dr’s kids made about 10 years ago. I have to laugh about the antidepressant comments. I just started taking Effexor and for the first time in a long time I feel normal. It’s very odd to feel normal but I’ll take it.