and i was so enjoying my global warming

and i was so enjoying my global warming

February 13, 2007

We have a winter storm warning in effect. It sounds so ominous, doesn’t it?

12-18 inches of snow are expected tonight into tomorrow. The children are excited in only the way children can be about snow that requires nothing out of them but enjoyment. No shoveling, no snow blowing, drying endless gloves,hats and scarves, serving hot chocolate, and worrying about losing power.

On the top of my agenda today is sending the children out into the yard to pick up all the sleds and toys before the snow comes and covers them until the spring thaw. I really don’t want a repeat of last year.

Also on the top of my list is finding Rob’s snow boots. If I don’t I will be stuck doing all the snowblowing myself. And if that isn’t motivation to find them, I don’t know what is.

If you are going to be snowed in too, you might want to go mosey on over to my other blog and find some suggestions for projects to do with your children.

treasure in a bottle?

want to get a handle on all the crap covering your fridge?

how about a fishing game in your living room that is both fun AND educational?

what about an edible bracelet?

If none of those ideas sound good, you may just want to try the shoveling game. What is that? You go outside and hide something like a marble somewhere in the snow on your driveway. Then you send the children out armed with shovels. The first one to find the marble gets a marshmallow in their cocoa. Yes, a marshmallow. I know, who wouldn’t shovel five miles of concrete for one of those.

You just want to make sure that you hide the marble at the farthest point away from the house where you want them to shovel. Alternately, you could just go outside right when they are finishing up and casually toss the marble on the ground near them. But that would be cheating.

Not that I would tell.

Comments

1. Jodi says:

Oh the excitment I miss, living here in the south. Darn. Yesterday it was 60 degrees and I went jogging outside. Sure, losing items in the yard until spring sounds waaaay more fun. Actually…considering how sore my thighs are today…yeah, staying inside *would* be more fun. Crap, I have a treadmill upstairs.

2. Chookooloonks says:

What is this … “snow” …. of which you speak?

;o)

K.

3. Julie Q. says:

Oh the old marble in the snow trick. My mother did that with us growing up. Except she used one of the kids instead of a marble.

4. Woman with Kids says:

I love the shoveling game, what a great idea. I don’t think a marshmallow would do it for the boys though… might have to up the anty, something like “whoever finds the marble gets to come back inside before they freeze completely”. Or something.

Ah, the joys of living in the south. Where if it snows it really means sleet/freezing rain/ice. Which means the world shuts down for the duration. No need to go outside, no need to shovel, and no need to get out of those warm jammies.

Sorry….didn’t mean to rub it in!!

6. Sara says:

Yep. We’re sick of the blizzard here in Indy, so we’re sending it your way. We just KNEW the boys couldn’t wait to play the marble game…

Ahhh. Snow. Here in the Ga. it was 60 something degrees yesterday. I wore flip flops to pick up kids from school. Have fun in the snow, or rather your kids have fun in the snow. You stay bundled up in front of the stove. :>)

8. Mama T. says:

It’s miserable here in Michigan and heading your way. The snow isn’t that bad, but the 30 mph winds are making it feel like -10 out and the roads are an ice rink.

9. Mocha says:

Oh, Karen. That was so wrong. We all know where you live, in that wonderful place of warmth. Tsk. Tsk.

Chris, we have the snow already. I found Kennimus’ boots. Also, my sons. I don’t DO snow. But everything was still out in the yard covered with a fresh blanket of snow. So pretty.

10. Daisy says:

There’s something very wrong in the world. Here in the Frozen Tundra region of Wisconsin, we are watching this storm go SOUTH of us! All we’ll get is a little cold indoor recess weather.

11. Chris says:

mocha- I was ignoring Karen. She just keeps rubbing that tropical paradise in doesn’t she ;-)

ANd I haven’t found the BOOTS!!! ARGH!

12. Paige says:

LOVE the shovel game. I’m so going to try that one next time we get more snow. Thankfully we have a neighbor who LOVES to plow all the sidewalks on his 4 wheeler with the plow attachment (who wouldn’t?), so he usually comes by and clears at least the sidewalks in the entire circle. Sometimes if he’s feeling generous and has enough time, he’ll even plow the driveway. So our snowblower hasn’t come out of the garage this year.

13. Playdate Susan says:

We’re also on Snow Alert. If it snows here tomorrow, you will be able to hear me swearing at your house. Which is NOT NEAR ME.

Dammit those kids need to go to school. Although the marble game could keep them busy all day . . .

14. deborah says:

Oh yeah, we’re in for another 2-3 feet of snow here in the Syracuse area. Had the news on all day. They’ve already cancelled some schools in the area. Love the marble game idea! I’m thinking, the end of the sidewalk isn’t a bad idea.

15. Tammy says:

No snow here, but we did spend 45 minutes in the basement during the tornado warning tonight. I started to send the kids outside to play the marble game, but some how that just felt wrong. :)

16. jody2ms says:

And I was going to complain because it it 38 here this morning…………

Wimpy Texans.

17. Chookooloonks says:

:o) Mocha, Chris, my apologies. I couldn’t help myself. If it makes you feel better, in a few weeks we’ll be moving to Houston, where it just gets cold for no damned reason (i.e., without snow). I’m enjoying this sunshine while I can. :o)

K.