snow watch 2007: surviving better than the Donner party

snow watch 2007: surviving better than the Donner party

February 13, 2007

Time: 10:17 pm

Inches of snow accumulation: 0

Probability that this snow emergency was a desperate ruse concocted by the bread and milk manufacturers: very high

Comments

1. shaz says:

i know! neither us… waiting…

2. Grim Reality Girl says:

I want school to be canceled — I don’t think this 5-6 inches of snow we have tonight is gonna cut it though…. May your milk and bread not run out! May we get just enough snow for schools to be closed…. please?

3. Polly says:

I thought only Southerners ran to the store to buy bread and milk when the weather got bad.

4. The Wooden Porch says:

I bet you’ve already searched high and low and found Rob’s snow boots too.

Figures.

5. Tina says:

We kept hoping the storm wouldn’t come or would break apart. My son was in the hospital all weekend and I just wanted to get him home! It came and we have over a foot of snow mixed with sleet (that’s a lot for centeral IN). Thankfully my husband loves to drive in this mess and he brought the baby home so we’re all snug (and baby is recovering well). (But I made him go buy bread and milk and chocolate since we were almost out already. We weren’t stock piling, honest! But we played right into their hands.)

6. Big Mama says:

I am convinced that bad weather warnings are just a huge conspiracy between the managers at the grocery store and the meteorologists.

7. Merry says:

Our country (UK) got talked into coming to a complete standstill by the media over 2-3 inches of snow the other day :roll: We even got the headlines “Blizzard conditions” and “freak weather” - it’s february, it’s the UK, get over it, i thought.

Amazingly, when it completely disappeared 24 hours later, the BBC were right on hand with “Britain risks flooding as big thawe sets in”… i ask you :roll:

8. annalise says:

I always suspected that Home Depot was in league with the weather forecasting people when we lived in Fl - the number of times that people boarded up their windows unnecessarily was quite amazing.

9. Jen says:

Last year around this time I remember the same sort of storm warnings… We had just moved to the east coast and were laughing at everyone who kept asking if we were ready for the “storm of the century”. My hubby and I refused to believe that there was even a storm coming and claimed that it was all a big ruse because by midnight there was still no sign of snow. We felt like idiots when we woke the next morning completely snowed in, without even owning a shovel!

10. InTheFastLane says:

Well, if you are east of us…this is our second snow day. Yesterday started out not bad, but buy the afternoon the snow was blowing and we had some snow. Right now there is probably a foot of snow on the ground, but the three foot drift between our house and the house next door looks impressive.

11. Jess says:

10 inches of snow, blowing, no school. Plenty of milk and bread. Gotta love living in the MW.

12. Mary Anne says:

Today is snowday #3 for our school district and in my mind the only one that has been legit. I cleared yesterday’s snow (x2) from our drivewy just in time for the freezing rain!!
    Our long downward slop that constitutes a driveway is a skating rink and now the white stuff that’s steadily falling out there will ensure a great sledding hill but a not so great escape route for me. Bob is on call and took my suv to work leaving me with his useless in winter M3.
    I’m beginning to understand the western PA storm panic mode in reguard to grocery shopping. We are now out of cat food and milk. Guess everyone will just have to drink wine (we’ve got lots of that!)
    mak

13. Tammy says:

We had flakes!!! Not many - but as the kids left for school, we saw flakes floating in the air. Here we are wishing for a white day in Birmingham, Alabama.

I’m so using your marble idea today.

(Although technically I don’t have to shovel the driveway, I’m not going anywhere and Greg drives a 4×4 Jeep.)

15. Sue says:

I too was in the 12 - 18 inch band. We have about a half inch of snow, and much freezing rain. School was cancelled, and I’m surfing the net from home instead of work today.

16. Sara says:

Plenty of snow and drifts here, but unfortunately no school again. One snow day is a good thing. Two in a row is just punishment. And no school on Valentine’s Day is cruel and unusual punishment. Does anyone have a sharp instrument I can use to puncture my eardrums so I don’t have to listen to the whining? Poor children. Their woe isn’t even assuaged by the snow. I keep saying “Snow! Lots of snow! To play in! RIGHT NOW!!” Nobody’s buying it…