snow watch 2007: the end

snow watch 2007: the end

February 14, 2007

Time: 11:56pm

The snow is still falling.

And really, I have nothing else to say about snow watch 2007, other than yes indeed, it did snow. Imagine snow in Connecticut in February.

I am wearing a necklace that I bought, wrapped, and left out for myself for Valentine’s Day. I don’t let on that I bought it for myself. I think of it as modeling good behavior for my sons, who will one day grow up and be men, with wives, if they are lucky. Wives who might want a damn present once in awhile, or a naked guy holding a red velvet cake. Oh wait, these are my sons we are talking about, scratch the naked part.

Rob says that we agreed long ago not to celebrate Valentine’s Day, and we did. But there are a lot of things that have changed over the past 14 plus years. I used to be able to wear a bikini and he used to have lots of hair. And those are only two examples. Things you can see. Most of the ways that we have changed are not readily visible.

And sometimes a little appreciation, even if it is on an over commercialized holiday, is nice.

Anyway, this is the best post about Valentine’s Day that I have read, ever.

Seriously, go read it.

Yeah, I’m lucky to have my wife. I think all of us men are.

See, here’s the deal, my friends. When you get to be my age, you realize that ultimately, love is a journey. Half the time, you’re expressing your love in ways that you never imagined. The other half, you’re apologizing for something stupid you did. But within that journey, you’ll find that marriage is an act of faith that contains within it the power of transformation. Finding that person to share your life with makes this world a much better place. And despite the craziness of this world and all the extraneous noise that fills our lives, eventually you come to realize that John Lennon was right…

Love IS all you need.

And so when my sons all complimented the necklace that “Rob” bought for me, I just smiled and agreed that it was lovely. Their wives are going to owe me big time.

Comments

1. bluepaintred says:

sigh

once again i got nothing for VDay. Once again iw as an idiot and bought him something. Its not liek he forgot , he just doesnt care.

Train your sons well, I wish my husband had been

2. Joan says:

Thankyou, thankyou for Snow Watch 2007, a truly entertaining day for those of us who just watched it rain all day. Thankyou!!

3. The Wooden Porch says:

How sweet that you got a necklace for Valentine’s Day! I’m going to get an iPod. It hasn’t arrived yet. I’m using my husband’s credit card to buy it for me and he doesn’t even have to know. (Does it make any difference if I only bought him a hunting magazine?)

4. Eve says:

I think it’s hilarious how long you’ve been writing and that you type while playing with the kids. I don’t have a laptop, must invest in that one! I hate the cold and recently moved from CA to WA, I can’t get undressed I’m so cold. I don’t shower anymore, and I just keep adding the layers of clothing on top. People just assume I’m gaining weight.

5. jules11 says:

What a fan-bloody-tastic idea, getting something for yourself and training your sons, I may have to steal that one, well done.

6. CathyC says:

I’m sure the necklace is wonderful, and that your sons will do just fine in the future. Thank you for linking that lovely post. Are there any cupcakes left;)?

7. Brigitte says:

We’re both poorly trained, we got each other nothing but cards - and it’s our anniversary, too!

In eastern CT, we got pretty much an inch of icy, rock-hard snow. The less snow, the better, personally, but my two-year-old daughter keeps getting so excited about sledding every time she sees a snowflake, poor little thing. Now I’ll have to drag her in circles around the yard on her sled until she screams that her hands hurt from the cold (but also screams if I suggest going in the house), about 10 minutes.

8. Gigi says:

A picture of the necklace, pretty please?

9. Beth says:

Heh. I do something like that, too, except I gave my brother some money and had him take my son shopping for a birthday present for me. My son got to pick the present, so he wound up giving me a necklace and a pair of fuzzy, hot-pink bedroom slippers. I wear them both and consider the shopping trip good training for my son. ;^)

Your pic of your son watching your husband snowblow the driveway reminds me of when my family used to live just outside of Chicago. Back then, snow was just fun — because we kids didn’t have to do much shoveling. Now we all live in California, but my dad still has his key (as a memento) for the snowblower he and our Illinois neighbor purchased together.

10. Nohe 5 says:

We had ice watch here and now I am anxiously awaiting ice melt watch so I can finally get out of the house after three days. When oh when will there be school again. Even if they go tomorrow, they have a three day weekend. PJ Day is only fun for so many days in a row.

11. Denise says:

My dh was good to me this year; he sprang for Chinese take-out for our family of 10. I told my kids Dad bought dinner for Valentine’s Day so that Mom didn’t have to cook and that is one of the most loving things a husband can do! :-) I bought him brandy…I heard hot toddies are good for his cold.
    He hasn’t always been so thoughtful…there have been many birthdays, anniversaries and Valentine’s that passed un-gifted with his excuse, “You never told me what you wanted!”
    It’s such a good idea to train the kids to be thoughtful, though! I wish I had thought of that before my birthday.

12. april says:

We agreed to not acknowledge Heart day when we were newly married, cuz we didn’t need a day set aside to tell each other how much we loved the other one…..blah, blah, blah. I took about ten years of that and then said, “I want a present and a night out! NOW!” I also said our boys need to see you doing all this stuff so they will know how to impress their lady. I have to do a lot of reminding before the holiday arrives, like “have you made reservations?” and “I want you to buy me (whatever).” It’s working quite well, maybe a few more years and he’ll be fully trained.

13. Tal says:

Their wives WILL owe you big time! I hope that enjoy the necklace, regardless of where it came from.

Snow Watch was inspired. Thanks!

14. InterstellarLass says:

Train ‘em up right! Good for you!

15. Edge says:

I think of it as taking responsibility for my needs in the relationship. I buy myself flowers, take myself out. I’ve had whole freaking affairs with myself.

16. dcrmom says:

I think we need a picture! I did that one year for Mother’s Day. Took my dd to Tiffany’s and bought myself a necklace and thanked her for her mother’s day present. Hehe!

17. Mary W says:

I never thought about training my sons as a need for Valentine’s day. we’re not V day celebraters. We do go all out for the kids though. I made them heart shaped cakes for their school lunches and pancakes instead of a poptart and banana as they headed out in the arctic tundra to school.

He did surprise me though wirh roses - peach my favorite. The best gift he ever gave me though was two years ago, right after we bought this house. He bought four grandiflora rose bushes and planted them for me. So he could give me fresh flowers everyday, not just on valentine’s day.

18. Maria says:

Very nice post..and you are right the wives are going to owe you BIG TIME. My husband got me and my daughter big stuffed bears. (He never gave me a stuff bear, even when we were dating), and I also got a USB Flash Drive, so cool. My son asked where his was. It was so sad..but I had his in the closet so all was well but hearing his little voice..just about killed me.