Love Thursday

Love Thursday

February 15, 2007

Today we went snow tubing. In the -20 degree weather. Because nothing says I love you like frostbite.

The inside of my nostrils were freezing, and yet my nose would not stop running.

Here I am going down the hill. I screamed the whole way down. My boys thought it was the funniest thing ever.

that's me down there at the bottom of the hill

And then I had to pull my daughter back up the hill and almost die in the process.

walking back up to the top of the hill

In the background, you can see my 12 yr old son who is too cool to wear a hat. Even though his ears might be turning black from frostbite and fall off, he will look cool dammit. On one hand it is so maddening and ridiculous, but on the other hand I remember how I refused to zip up my winter coat when I was that age. Apparantly being cold is a sign of coolness that persists to this day.

And then I tied the snow tube to my back bumper and drove home. I just didn’t want to hear anymore of their whining. They were well bundled.

How I bring the screaming mimis home from tubing

I am kidding, in case it wasn’t obvious. But my daughter was very disappointed when she realized it was a joke.

Comments

1. bluepaintred says:

lmao. i can well imagine her dissapointment

but really on a back road, going slow enough…. I wonder….

2. Joanne says:

It probably would have been a bit nippy in the back there. Besides, what would have happened if you arrived home to an empty tube???

3. jody2ms says:

That looks too fun.

4. Ashley says:

Sheesh. Didn’t you know it was cool to only wear a hoodie outside? Even while living in South Central Alaska?? I’m so glad I have a 12 year old daughter to keep me abreast of this kind of stuff.

5. Shelly says:

My husband’s mother used to tie the sleds to the bumper of the car and take them out. Very scary since she was ultra conservative on everything else.

You haven’t seen cool until they’ve hit the teen age years! You’re on the cusp.

Hope you’re inside now, warm and enjoying some type of hot beverage.

6. Elizabeth says:

Around here the cool thing is to take a hooded sweatshirt and just start to put it on - so it is on your arms and then bunched up against your chest, but you haven’t stuck your head in it yet - and then sling on your backpack and head out into the freezy breezes. I noticed when we had the below zero mornings that this style briefly disappeared and all of the girls had pony tails to combat hat hair.

7. Jen says:

That bundled baby is the cutest thing ever! Great photo!!

8. CL says:

LOVE that pic!! With the two wee ones behind the car? CUTE!

Here’s what popped into my head:

Imagine, if you were someone like, say, Brittany, you’d be hounded by all kinds of paparazzi because the photograph never lies….

Or:

Perhaps Meredith may have had something to say about this, or the other chick, Dr. what’s her name, Janet?

Stay warm. I’ll visit again.

9. Her Bad Mother says:

Oh, the cuteness, it hurts! WonderBaby HATES sliding, and REFUSES to get all cutesied up in a sled or tube or whatever. Bah.

10. KathyB says:

Glad to see you are loving Thursday…Your kids seem to be enjoying the snow, I mean how can you not, well except for the snot that doesn’t sound like fun…if you want to check out some other Thursday love check this out…

11. Leigh says:

Okay, you are freakin’ funny. I stumbled upon your blog and I’m loving it. Too bad I’m not funny. Just mushy gushy. I guess it takes 7 children…or at least a few older kids…to be funny! :) Perhaps I’ll make it half way there someday.
    XOX

12. Joy H says:

It could be like the leashed dog on Vacation. LOL!

Looks like FUN!

13. Angela says:

Um, back in Iowa….we knew several people who tubed behind the car. There aren’t good hills to tube DOWN there, ya know.

14. Sara says:

When I was a teenager I knew some kids who held on to the back bumper and slid on their feet beind the car. It was called “skitching”. And NO I never did it (hi, mom!). That looks like a great sledding hill. I’m sure you all had fun. Hope everyone wakes up with their ears this morning.

15. TB says:

Yeah! We used to get towed around in the snow all the time when we were kids. We never imagined we get hurt, but looking back at it now, it was the stupidest thing ever. Now if you do it, they’ll take your kids and your truck.

16. Meg says:

MAN! You can come here and drive me around in a tube attached to the back of your car, even if there isn’t any snow at all. And I promise to keep my coat zipped up.

Oh, and side note: I didn’t mean to imply in my blog today that Sophia would ever marry anyone besides your son, just in case you were worried…;)

17. Kristie says:

Ha! That reminds me of when we used to try (not very successfully, I might add) to hold on to the back bumper of my dad’s truck while riding our bikes.

I guess I should clarify that was while his truck was moving. Otherwise, if the truck was parked, it’s just kind of stupid and lame. While the truck was moving, though…. just plain stupid.

He would drive really slow and sort of humor us, but since I’m so uncoordinated I would always panic and let go.

If you pulled me behind your car in a tube though???? I promise, I would NOT let go! :)

I live in an area where it is totally acceptable to tow ones children up the hill.

Now that I have a child of my own, I shutter to think about doing something like that yet I doubt a winter passed without one of use being towed behind a motor vehicle - 4 x 4, snowmobile, 4-wheel - you name.

19. Jess says:

You are a brave brave woman. Looks like you all had fun.

20. Mrs. Schmitty says:

Haha! Too Funny. What a fun day!

21. cassie-b says:

What a brave Mom you are. I don’t even remember where the front door is if it’s that cold outside.

22. Rae says:

You look very dashing in your snow gear. :)

23. Pastormac's Ann says:

Brrrr. You’re braver than I. I always watch the snow antics from inside the back door. NOT a snow person.

You crack me up. My 14 hates wearing a coat no matter how bad the weather is. She’ll wear a scarf though, ’cause that looks cool.

Happy LT!

24. Chris says:

Rae,

Don’t you love how the helmet is perched on TOP of my snow hat?

25. crazy8s says:

When I was growing up, you were cool when you didn’t wear socks. I would take them off as soon as I got on the bus. Man, was I so cool then!

That last picture is hilarious!

26. Wendy says:

Hey, I would have taken that ride.

27. Tracey says:

LOL, I blogged about the “too cool to wear a coat” thing just the other day! I don’t know what it is. I’ll be taking my middle daughter to ballet, and despite all my lectures about “put your clothes on over your leotard, and your coat, and just take it off when you get there”, she jumps out of the card wearing ONLY the ballet outfit, which is strapless, and runs into the building before I can stop her–and it’s like 2 degrees out! And soooo many parents give me dirty looks…

28. Rachel says:

I’m so mean. My three keep begging to go out and play in the snow, but the idea of getting all three of them in snow gear by myself (the boys are 4 and my daughter is 2) is just so overwhelming I just don’t do it. Bad Mommy, I know. Maybe tomorrow . . .

29. Maria says:

Those are great pictures. It looks like everyone had a great time.