26 months

26 months

February 21, 2007

Miles,

watching the sledding

Today I was organizing the mudroom closet and noticed the diaper bag tucked in the back on the shelf. A bag I have not used in a long time. When I went through it I found diapers a size too small, dried up wipes, sunscreen, toys filled with sand and something that was probably once edible, so I know it has been several months at least.

Nowadays I keep a diaper or two in the van with some wipes, or just toss a diaper in my pocketbook. Or if I am being completely honest just wing it and hope for the best. I have no need for dragging around a special bag. I began cleaning it out and then thought, why am I even keeping this. It was the hospital freebie, generic black, and I never felt the need to buy an expensive one.

And so I threw it all away. The bag and all it’s contents.

For the first time in 12 plus years, I do not have a diaper bag hanging in the closet or tossed near the door. No jingling rattles or squishy books waiting to be whipped out in an emergency. No bibs, sunhats, plastic coated baby spoons, or dried up old pacifiers that I would try to pass off as toys in an emergency. Yes, there is such thing as a toy emergency.

I thought it would be a bittersweet sort of thing, but it isn’t. There are other things I will miss about your babyhood, but the diapers and carrying around the contents of my home just in case, is not one of them. When I think about you being potty trained by this time next year, I am giddy with anticipation.

26 months and I haven't eaten his cheeks yet

This month your language skills have blossomed. I thought you were talking well before, but now I am blown away by your complex sentence structure.

“You change me diaper, mama”

“My help you mama.”

“You put me my bed, mama”

“You get my joe (water) mama”

“My hab a coo-KEE mama.”

Clearly the things you chose to say show that I am some sort of neglectful mother who needs to be reminded to take care of you.

helping in the kitchen

You have a high chair you sit in at the table, but you also grab it and push it around the kitchen. Whenever you see me standing at the stove or facing a kitchen counter you immediately grab the chair. I hear it scraping across the kitchen floor, while you maniacally yell, “My help you! My help you, Mama!” It is so annoying and yet so damn adorable I can’t help but smile and enjoy it. Even though I know you really are just trying to get dibs on the mixing bowl, I tell myself that it is me you want to be near.

helping in the kitchen

The other night you picked up a macaroni off your dinner plate and held it up your ear. “Hello…. hello” you said. And then you laughed like it was the funniest joke ever. And it was funny. I don’t recall you telling a joke to purposefully make us laugh before this one. Maybe some day you will be a comedian and when they interview us about your childhood I will be able to say, “Oh he started telling jokes at 26 months old. Really, we knew he would be a joke telling superstar one day. He was a comedic prodigy.”

Then you reached over to my plate with your fork. “My help you mama,” you said. You used the side of your fork to cut my meatball in half, exactly the way that I do it for you. You were so proud of yourself. As you pulled your fork away from my plate, you gave it a few good shakes over your head sending sauce splattering on everyone sitting at the table near you. That was funny too, but mostly for the people uneffected by the splattering.

I look at you now and see a boy. I still catch myself referring to you as “the baby” It makes you laugh and you shake your head, “No my bay-BEE,”you say. Like it is the most ridiculous thing. Being a baby was soooo yesterday.

26 months old

Whenever I put on lipstick you insist on kissing my lips so that you can have lipstick on too. Then you smack your little lips together. I love it. That is something I’ll miss. Twelve year old boys don’t do that, thankfully. It wouldn’t be nearly as cute.

Nor do they climb into bed with you in the morning and wake you up by quietly getting very close to your face and then shouting “Hello” loud enough to wake even the dead. Yes, I’ll even miss this.

I love how you turn everything into a baseball bat. Your eye hand co-ordination is fascinating to someone like me who has none.

And you are happy. So happy go lucky that it hardly seems normal.

My favorite thing though, that I hope to remember always, is the way you say, “Otay” in the most pathetic little voice whenever you are agreeing to one of our “requests” like not coloring on the walls, not throwing your food, or going down for a nap.

Recently, you were sick with some sort of stomach bug, probably the one that your oldest brother had the previous week. (and the one that would hit me and the rest of the family a week after this) You threw up all night long, until your body was wracked with dry heaves and you weakly protested, “No” as I held the little pot under your chin.

I hope you will forgive me for that one time when I whacked you in the face with the little pot; I was a bit overzealous in my efforts to protect my brand new expensive area rug. You’ll understand one day.

If you don’t, well we can just add it to the ever growing list of things to discuss with your therapist one day. Like lipstick wearing.

And the fact that I sing the song, “Always a Woman to Me,” but change the lyrics to “Always A Baby to Me”

It’s true. You always will be.

Comments

1. bluepaintred says:

oh my. you have such a way with words

2. Penny says:

AWWWWW!! Just beautiful Chris, as usual you capture the essence of motherhood…the true meaning.
    PS. I am so glad I am not the only one who has whacked their little one in the face with the ‘puke pot’!! :o)
    Have a blessed day!
    Penny :)

3. The Lazy Organizer says:

There is nothing like cooking with a 2 year old! Or washing dishes or doing laundry or….

Adorable!

4. kate says:

Happy 26 months Miles! Wow he is getting so big!

5. angeline says:

Aw, Chris! I first started reading your blog when Miles was about 6 months; so it *is* true, he’ll always be the baby. :)

And how much do I want to hear him say that “Otay”? Maybe enough to buy you another area rug…

6. Angela says:

Awwww!

My baby is 27 months. Today I turned her carseat front facing. She’s growing up too fast too.

7. Julie says:

Someone once told me that while she recorded many of her son’s “firsts” what she really wished was that she had written down some of his “lasts.” Particularly the last time she carried him. Since then, I’ve tried to do that. One of the best things I’ve ever written in my journal was a detailed description of the last time my daughter nursed. It moves me to tears every time I read it. They grow up so fast, I want to remember as much as I can. Video tape and photos are great, but writing it down is just as important. Thanks for sharing it with us.

8. Celine says:

Way to make a pregnant mama bawl her eyes out!

9. Anna says:

Our baby is 13 months old and we have 6 other boys that range up to age 9 years. I have been packing up items that we no longer use and giving them to my brother. He and his wife are expecting a boy in May. It is strange to not have bottles, baby food, etc. around. I don’t if I can handle when the sippy cups start disappearing.

10. daring one says:

Chris, this was really sweet. I love your tributes but I do want to clarify that not only is there such a thing as a toy emergency, nearly every type of emergency can very easily become a toy emergency if you’re not prepared.

I’m so not ready to move on yet from babyhood. Maybe after 6 or 8 more. And I think we both know I’ll be carrying diapers around long after Magoo is potty-trained. And likely wipes.

11. Merry says:

Hi,

Am really enjoying your blogs and just wanted to say thanks for this post as i am also going through the bittersweet time of the end of babyhood; my youngest of 4 is 27 months now and growing so fast. (Though it’s amazing how much of a baby she still suddenly is if i pick up anyone else’s child!)

Love
    Merry
    (A home educating, pill popping mum of 4 in the UK!)

12. Michelle says:

Oh that was such a sweet letter to your son! He sounds like a real little character and the photos were adorable! I can’t imagine not carrying around a diaper bag either!

This is absolutely beautiful. Sometimes I can’t imagine being a mother and being so attached to my babies. I wonder if I will lose a bit of myself in the process, and then I wonder if I will care.

Your words and photos are so gorgeous. I can so clearly see how much love there is in your house. Thanks. What a great way to start my morning.

14. Sara says:

OH! I know this so well. Our youngest just hit 2 and a half. I find myself wistful and giddy at the same time. Wonderful post, Chris.

Welcome to the “No Diaper Bag” group!

My youngest (4 years, how did that happen?!?!) does the chair scooting too. None of the others did or maybe I just didn’t let them get away with it.

16. Holli Smith says:

Oh how bittersweet! I remember the time when my kid became big enough that I didn’t have to carry a diaper bag. It was like freedom - woo-hoo! Now he’s 6 and I miss the diaper bag, I miss the pitiful “Otay”. I think maybe I’ll have to do it all over again…
    aaah… baby-fever kicking in!

17. Debbie says:

*Bites Miles. AGAIN* He’s really starting to *look* like a boy now isn’t he? Getting longer.

When will you stop the monthly updates?

Oh but before I go… *Bites Miles, ruffles his golden locks and grabs those cheeks* Edible.

18. Teresa says:

That was truly beautiful. My oldest is getting ready for highschool, and the youngest is in senior kindergarten. Sometimes I really miss the diaper bag days.
    A wonderful letter, I think I’ll go give my Punkin a hug.
    Thanks.

19. Woman with Kids says:

Wow, what a great post. ….must go hug the boys.

20. Crisanne says:

It’s uncanny how similar our sons are. I firmly believe all that chair scooting IS so he can be closer to you-as annoying and adorable as it may be. My son says “Ahhh tay” with the same dropped head you describe. It makes me want to scoop him up and cover him with kisses. It’s all part of the toddler survival technique. Thanks for helping me remember the wonderful things I love about my son!

21. Jordana says:

You make me melt every time you write one of these notes to Miles.

22. Mara says:

Ok, you’re making my womb ache a little. Do you have to make motherhood sound so delicious?

23. Mary Anne says:

Chris
    In the spirit of figuring out what your friend Donald was on about I went back and read your old posts. The posts surrounding Mile’s birth make it clear why you’ve allowed your heart to be caught up tightly in that bundle of boy!
    Alex our #3 daughter was born with the cord wrapped twice. She was black and blue about the face with bloodshot eyes. Bob called her birth pictures the best method of birth control he knew. When Mike was born six years later I knew he would be my last and held on for dear life to his babyhood. I am always glad I did.
    mak

24. Sleeping Mommy says:

So sweet…and these posts always get to me because my own baby boy is so close in age to your Miles and so we go through the same stages at the same time that you all are.

He’s my last and I both relish and dread the fact. No more diaper bags is great. But I’ll miss the sweet and funny things my Toddler boy does when he outgrows them all.

25. Jamie says:

That is the sweetest thing ever. You’ve gone and made me cry.

It’s funny, because I just found our generic hospital freebie black diaper bag this weekend and I tossed it in a box for Goodwill.

26. Ruth H says:

I know that feeling, always the baby, but my baby who turned 46 yesterday, (also got married!) sort of- well, more than sort of, doesn’t like to be referred to in those terms. So now I just think it. Actually I still see the baby in the eyes of all three of my children. Once a mother……

27. jody2ms says:

Lovely, as usual!

I took my diaper bags to the Pilot Club this weekend as well. I cleaned out the attic and got rid of everything except the crib, and bassinet.

I never thought I would say it, but yes, I am ready to move on to the next stage. This is the first time ever that I have had a 3yo and NOT been pregnant, so I really am enjoying this stage Mia is in. Well, save for the tantrums and not wanting to wear pants.

STOP THAT. You always make me cry with your letters to Miles.

29. Mary O says:

It cracks me up that he calls water “Joe”. What a cutie!

30. Jenn says:

Chris,
    I’ve been reading your blog for a while now, and you never fail to make me laugh, or cry. My husband just got back from Iraq, and the past 2 days has caught me at the computer, laughing. And each time he has asked, “what’s funny?” And each time, the answer is the same. Chris. :) Thanks for sharing your family.

31. Mary W says:

I’m crying here!

32. Playdate Susan says:

Oh god that was funny.

I love Miles.

I can’t believe he’s this big! I started reading your blog when you were about to have him, and this blows me away. What a wonderful boy, and a wonderful mom. congratulations to you both!

34. Tricia says:

ok, after at least a year of lurking, i’m finally taking the plunge and leaving you a comment! it only seems fair! so…..hello! i love your blog! and i think that you capture the feelings of a mommy so beautifully, and remind me of the humor inherent in life with children. i bow before you, oh mother of seven, six of them boys. i’ve got only 3 boys and can already feel the gray hairs sprouting.

well anyway, thanks for sharing some of your family’s life here…and reminding me to always savor the sweet moments with my own kiddos.

35. peepnroosmon says:

OK, Chris. Tears. Big tears rolling down the side of my face. He is the most adorable little boy ever. They grow up so fast.

36. Heth says:

I always look forward to these.

37. Leeann says:

I love your entry today. Laughter, tears, nostalgia for my own children’s babyhood. Just today I was at my five year old “baby”s preschool conference. I was guiltily telling his teacher that in my mind he is still about three. He is still saying Otay and wuv oo. i look at the pictures of Miles and I just remember that little baby face and cheeks on my own kids.
    Bless you and little Miles both.
    Leeann
    niccofive.blogspot.com

You hit a spot there. I relish every ounce of independence they gain. Then I think back to all the sweet little things they do, I’m gonna miss that soon.

39. Melissa R. Garrett says:

Oh geez . . . what a handsome little man and lovely post! This makes even the five wretched minutes I had with my two oldest worth it all. I needed this reminder . . .

40. Pastormac's Ann says:

Ah, I felt this way about my “baby” who is now 5 years old! My heart breaks one instant and shouts with glee in the next.

I love your letters to Miles. Thanks for sharing them with us too.

41. Maliavale says:

Sweet Christ, he is a sweetheart. And cracking me up, too.

42. liz says:

Such beauty in his face and in your words.

43. Danielle says:

I love your letters to Miles.

I find that I still call the twinnies the “babies” most of the time. I just saw my diaper bag this weekend. I was bad and just left it in the back of the closet that I found it in. I didn’t want to deal with the suprised inside.

44. Jordan says:

Today I learned that I should never read your blog while eating a bowl of cereal, lest my keyboard get sprayed with corn flakes. You make me laugh!!!

I also learned to always have a kleenex handy, ’cause *sniff*! You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

45. Lane says:

You made me cry. MY baby is just a little older than yours and naturally, spoiled rotten. It’s so much easier to enjoy his antics because I know they will be gone soon and replaced with REAL attitude. Ahhhh, I will miss these moments. Thanks for the reminder.

46. CaliforniaGrammy says:

Beautiful post, Chris. I just love these posts where you’re talking to your children . . . just love them. And they will too someday!

47. Kim says:

Oh you made me cry. My baby is now 4.5 and how I miss those little otay’s and chubby cheeks and well just it all. But you know they will always be our babies.

48. Brigitte says:

You are so right when (in past posts) you theorize that all this cuteness is so that we’ll put up with the other stuff they do! Miles’ quotes are too cute! My daughter’s only about a month older, so I’m trying to cherish her cute little sayings (that I should write down) as well . . . maybe even when she suddenly yells “I need a new diaper!” in the middle of the theater seeing “Charlotte’s Web” . .

49. ashley says:

Very sweet and reminds me so much of my daughter. OTAY

50. Tricia says:

At six kids we were done and gave everything away and then two more came our way and we started all over again…Sure your done????LOL

51. Wicked Stepmom says:

Wow. My uterus hurts… just a little.

52. Jenni says:

Damn, you are one funny woman. I haven’t been here in a while and now I remember how much I used to enjoy your posts…

The problem with leaving one’s uterus in God’s hands is that one probably won’t realize that the “last baby” IS the “last baby” until it’s too late. In light of that, I’m off to gaze upon my youngest for a while.

53. Debbie says:

I couldn’t finish reading this post, because I had tears in my eyes — happy ones. You little one is the same age as my oldest and is doing about the same things. You put it in words so much better than I could.

54. Maria says:

So beautiful. I love your words. This is exactly what I have been thinking about my own baby boy these days. He has become such a big boy but always my baby boy. You brought tears to my eyes.