my lonely couch

my lonely couch

February 21, 2007

New Couch

It is a long and narrowish room. The couch is pulled about 6ft off of the back wall. No idea what I am going to put back there. Laundry? Toys? Children?

Yes, I need decorations and curtains and wall hangings. And a money tree.

Oh and notice my new wall color? Isn’t it lovely? It is called Barley and is a Pottery Barn color.

Comments

1. Trivial Mom says:

Ohh, I like that couch. Very stylish! And the paint on the walls is gorgeous too! And the floors! Man I could go on and on, you’ve got good taste!

2. Amy says:

Looks great!! I love the couch!

3. dcrmom says:

Love the color on the walls. And the couch. Gorgeous.

4. Jenny of Adventures in Parenting says:

oh if only I had a corner of my house that was so clean!

put some beautiful curtains (velvet? silk?) on the window and a couple of pics on the wall and wah-la… you’re living in a pottery barn spread!

5. Gem says:

The behind-the-couch space might be a neat play area for kids’ toys — if they aren’t always put away perfectly, at least they’re mostly out of sight!

6. Liz in Australia says:

I was going to suggest the same as Gem. Or plants? A standard lamp?

Such a pretty couch, and I love the screen, too.

7. jen3 @ amazing triplets says:

I was out looking at leather sectionals tonight, almost exactly like that one. After the last stomach flu episode - with toddlers turning their heads IN to our fabric couch whenever they were throwing up (and away from the bucket I was eagerly holding), we’ve decided the next couch MUST be leather.

I’m still wobbly from the sticker shock, though. The sectional that I want has a chaise on one end & a queen sleeper - all for the bargain basement price of $7,800.00 (that includes a 10% President Day discount).

Regarding what to put behind your couch - I’d put a big lush green plant, with a floor lamp. I’d also consider a low bookshelf on the opposite side - that you could double as a sofa table. I don’t know how a fishtail palm would do in your climate (but since it would be indoors with natural light from the window, maybe OK?). Here’s what I think would look nice (especially when they get really big and start to “arch”): http://www.amazinggreenhouse.com/DetailsList.cfm?ID=MS-2251-9

You’re off to a great start - the room looks very warm, esp. with the floors & area rug.

8. anna says:

Children. Yes, I think children should go behind there.

9. jen3 @ amazing triplets says:

Oops! The link I sent you was for a fake palm - so it doesn’t really matter what the climate is like. Heck, you could put it on your front porch in a snow storm and pretend you’re in the tropics!!!

10. The Lazy Organizer says:

It’s beautiful. I love the new color and everything else about it. You have worked so hard you deserve a nap on that couch!

11. guiness girl says:

Holy crow, I think we recently bought that exact couch but in brown! Obviously, you have fantastic taste. ;)

12. Laurie says:

OK, tell the truth now - how much time did you spend cleaning up for that picture??? Come on, surely you with SEVEN children cannot possibly have that clean of a house. I can’t keep up with my measly 3 (soon to be 4)…surely there’s no woman on God’s green earth who can keep a house looking like THAT with seven children!?!?!?

13. Chris says:

The couch is brown! I think it looks darker in the photo.

Laurie, the couch just got delivered so there was no mess yet ;-)

14. kate says:

I love it what a beautiful room! And I notice the stove is keeping that room warm!

15. Kendra says:

I love it! And no I won’t give you my horrible decorating advice because your house is gorgeous! How much is pottery barn paying you to place pictures of your gorgeous house on your blog? lol. I love the color too. Is it as yellow as it looks in the picture?

16. Amy Girl says:

Very Pottery Barn!

It looks great! Love the color and the couch. And the floors are beautiful too.

18. meredith says:

I like your big window, too. I think a plant would look nice behind the couch in the corner.

19. Debbie says:

Uh just to satisfy my curiosity…. how many rooms are there in your entire house?? Just when I think I’ve seen them all….

20. Chookooloonks says:

Oh honey, PLEASE keep posting pictures of your house. I’m in house-decorating-idea paralysis, and your home (I suspect, from looking at this photo!) will be very inspirational.

K.

21. liz says:

Beautiful room! So put together! I ditto the small play area or plant ideas.

22. Holli Smith says:

I love the color! I love the couch! I LOOOOVE the hardwood floors! And the stove looks so cozy. Oh can I please come to your house and curl up on that couch with a blanket and a good book?
    I don’t know if you like antiques or not but an old trunk (you can keep spare blankets in) would look neat under the window and you can sit some plants on it (if you are into plants). I love the open airy feeling of the room…

23. Michelle says:

After everyone’s comments I’m almost desperate to see it, but all I get is a gray box. Even when I clicked on it still came up with nothing. It must just be me :(

24. Kristi says:

So very handsome! And so full of possibilities, that room. Have fun bringing it all together.

25. Brigitte says:

I’m with Gem, the space is definitely where you throw all toys, misc. items and children in a quick “clean up” emergency (if one should occur).

26. Sarah says:

Beautiful! What a lovely room!

I would put a bookcase behind your couch.

27. Kaje says:

Okay I’m with Debbie on this one, how many rooms? I am so confused. Can you do a quick house tour for us so we know where we are? Love the couch by the way and I would soooo put the children behind the couch! Either that or my husband when he annoys me!

28. Staci says:

Ok, I’m in decorating dilema right now too. I need to come up with deco ideas for my laundry room. It’s a mud/laundry room…but I have the Maytag Drying Center which makes it a little more difficult to decorate around.

Can we see pics of your Pottery Barn Laundry room? PLEEEEASE?

29. B says:

sofa table behind the couch

30. Darren McLikeshimself says:

Looks great, Chris! And so not green!

31. mel says:

looks great! love the color!

You definitely need some dramatic window treatments (sorry my father-in-law’s interior design talk has gotten to me, I can’t call them “curtains” anymore.)

Love the window, sofa, floor. Maybe you could paint up a giant piece of art for that space.

Course all those ideas are kinda a fantasy. Cause in real life with lots of kids, we all know that toys are just going to end up back there behind the sofa. ;)

33. Jen says:

That rug is beautiful !

34. jen says:

Really gorgeous - like the practical yet gorgeous wipe-clean couch!

Curtains/drapes - not too much or it will darken the room - something nice and simple yet classy, to go with the rest of the room.

Photo room-divider - that’s gorgeous! Where is it from?

Behind the sofa - is this to be a kid-free (haha) room or will they be allowed to have their stuff in here? You could get a really classy corner-shelf unit, and use those rush/wicker baskets to put stuff (like toys) inside - practical but still classy and in keeping with the room. You could of course ban all toys from the room - but even with just one kid, I know how impossible that is!

Sooooo… when are you going to start your interior design business? I AM serious!

35. Meg says:

That looks SO GOOD. I almost wouldn’t do anything else…but then, I’m incredibly lazy, so maybe you shouldn’t listen to me.

36. Denise says:

hmm that thar looks like a nice place to hide from the children..hehe
    I think a nice window treatment that pulls out the pretty blue colour in the rug is in order.. but hey.. behind the couch is a great place to hide kid mess!!!

37. Ruth H says:

I know you took that picture because it will NEVER be that pristine again. LOL
    Even at our age, our last sofa was a leather sectional similar to that one. Deep green to match the woods outside our windows. Leather because we (means you know who, not me) still eats, spills, works with all his papers, etc on the couch. After eight years it still looks new. When you can actually SEE it.

38. Mara says:

Beautiful room! What I would do (if I had that open space and lots of kiddies) is to use another screen behind the couch, a translucent one so that it doesn’t block light. Then throw a bunch of cozy pillows and things back there and let it be a den for the littler kids.

39. nabbalicious says:

Gorgeous! It looks smashing.

It really looks lovely. Want to come to my house next?

41. Ashley says:

Lovie it. Love it. Love it.

42. Ave says:

I have the exact same rug except it is red in the areas where yours is blue. Love it (hides the dirt well - lol!). Our walls are a soft yellow as well. But our couch is red.
    I too am a big fan of pattery barn! Wish I could live in their store!

43. Tricia says:

Beautiful room! And…by sheer coincidence, (and after trial and error with 6 different shades of golden/yellow - I am paint color-challenged!) I am in the middle of painting my living room Barley too! It is a gorgeous color.

44. Jana says:

Chris,

It looks beautiful…how about a sofa table with a lamp directly behind the couch and either a big picture or a ficus tree next to the window?

45. CathyC says:

I love it!

46. Carola says:

I’m with the guys above…can you satisfy our curiosity (please, please) and tells us about your house? I know you have tons of bathrooms, but how many rooms? I have a three bedroom apartment, and one 1-year old, and I can’t keep up with the cleaning…putting things in their place is a never ending task….I think I gave up.
    Your couch by the way is beautiful, I love the way that room looks!

47. Mary says:

It looks really good, I love the paint color and I am tempted to use it on our hallway. I think the wall to the right of the window, and the wall on the right both need something. Either a big painting/print or antiquey mirror on each wall, or groups of smaller framed paintings/prints, photos, and/or mirrors. If you’re looking to go cheap, are you near an Ikea? Their frames are so cheap, and anything looks good in a frame.

48. Jurgen Nation says:

You can build some sort of flat shelf-like thing and make it nice for people to set drinks on or a few photos and plants. Or whatever.

Eh. Just a thought. Storage is always good, though.

49. Gwen says:

I think it looks lovely. I wish we had a space like that in our small place. So, six feet you say, how about a piano? I think that would be really classy.

50. Lena says:

That space is SCREAMING for an occasional table with a green plant and some pictures. STAT.

I just used a PB paint in my master and I lurve it!

51. Lena says:

Also? We have the same throw pillows! I have no idea why this excites and enthuses me, but it DOES.

I happen to have pics of them up right now too.

52. bombaygirl says:

PLEASE tell me where you got that sectional! I am looking for a leather sectional…with kids and dogs…nuff said.

53. Lani from The Wooden Porch says:

We have a freakishly long living room too and we do the same thing with our couch. We are planning on adding tall bookshelves on either side of the window, with either a window seat under the window or a sofa table. (That comes just below the window.) Right now I have lots and lots of toys tossed back there though.

54. daring one says:

It’s so warm and bright! It would look better with a pile of laundry though.