Is someone trying to tell me something?

Is someone trying to tell me something?

March 8, 2007

Last night I was in bed reading this book by Jaquelyn Mitchard. I am only about 100 pages into the book, when I came across this passage between a husband and wife that, in light of my last post, made me laugh out loud.

“…You realize that most people who work at home don’t need twenty pairs of shoes, nine of which–”

“Are black, right…”

Fortunately my husband likes shoes as much as I do. He can say nothing about my obsession when he owns at least 10 pair of brown shoes that look practically identical, though he assures me they are not.

I was telling Mir, the shoe pimp, today that I really need a job.

Not neccessarily to fund my shoe habit, since I rarely buy anything not on sale, but to have a place to wear all my shoes on a more regular basis. I think my Steve Madden leopard print pumps would like to venture farther than the children’s room at the library and the post office.

Comments

1. amy says:

I know what you mean. If things really get exciting you could dress up (as I periodically do since I also do not have a “real” job) and then have everyone ask you all day long, “oh, where are you going?” So very sad to always say, “uhhh, nowhere.” Can’t wait to see those cute shoes!

2. MommyHAM says:

Awww geeze, I’m outed. I really only work outside the home to showboat my shoes - how’d you guess? ;) Lol….

3. Heth says:

Steve Madden leopard print pumps?! Photo please so we can all lust after them.

4. Still Standing says:

I second Heth! Pics PLEASE!!
    I’ve got a little crush on Mr. Steve Madden. Haven’t ever seen him. Don’t even know if he a he, but damn those shoes rock!

I think I have let more than just my shoe selection go since being at home. . .
    It’s hard to justify buying nice shoe just to bring them home and have them get vomited on… It’s sad really.

5. Aarika says:

I *just* finished that book. It had me most of the way through and then lost me near the end.

Also, if they were really great shoes, you could just send them to work on their own and have them tell you how many compliments they received when they came home :)

6. So shoe me - dani says:

I just got some great Giraffe print pumps off endless that I think I could wear every day. They got their own blog entry.

7. Cece says:

Aw man, now I want to go shoe shopping!

8. Elizabeth says:

My dear, you HAVE a job - no, I’m not one of those people who feel the need to remind you (as if you forget) that raising kids is a job, I’m one of those whiny blog readers who will insist that your job is to write this blog for us! So, wear your shoes to the job! Photograph those leopard print babies for us! (Plus, I work in an office, and hardly anybody ever notices my shoes - it’s not worth it, baby.)

9. Playdate Susan says:

I wore some pretty shoes to look at houses today. And now my feet hurt. The end.

(I don’t know what my point is, although it probably has something to do with how I need MORE SHOES.)

10. mel says:

i know what you mean - i wish i had an excuse to get cute ‘work’ clothes.

on the other hand, i have lots of cute yoga pants that i LIVE in and can’t remember the last time i wore pantyhose…

11. kate says:

No way! It rules wearing fabulous shoes someplace normal.

12. maggie says:

I love shoes. I work from home it’s totally ok to need 9 pairs of black shoes :)

13. Heather B. says:

I used to have this really big problem with going into Nordstrom and not leaving without a pair of shoes. It was awful.

I say, you buy all the shoes you want who cares if they’re all black boots. Because we all know that boots come in different heights so you need a pair of ankle boots, knee highs, mid calf’s, etc…you get the idea.

14. Lena says:

I have been a shoe whore ever since I was a little girl.

I remember being about 8 years old and getting a pair of suede ,multicolored chunky shoes.I loved those new shoes so much that I slept next to them so I could smell that new suede smell. (I didn’t get new ones very often)

When I was 12 , all the cheerleaders and even the poor kids wore those black and white saddle oxfords. I’m talking …the good ones,leather uppers with the round toe.
    Not those pointy toed fakes!Everyone in middle school had them except ME.

I coveted those shoes for years before I was able to get my own.

I wish I had them now . I would totally be wearing them.

I bet I have at least 50 pairs of shoes. Some of them I rarely wear, some I never wear. Just having them and seeing them brightens my day. lol

Yes, I suppose I am crazy.
    If you’re shoe crazy….send me pictures of those shoes you love (or have loved) and why you love them. I’ll do a post about it .

Shoes = Happy

15. Trivial Mom says:

Seriously. Sometimes I feel like I need a real job just to have someplace to where nice clothes too. I tried getting “dressed-up” (something nicer than jeans and a t-shirt, or sweatshirt) to go to the grocery store, but it just wasn’t worth it. You all are lucky I at least wear make-up and most of the time will do my hair. It’s hard to put something nice on when I know it will just end up with juice squirted on it, or sticky fruit snack hands, or spit up, or snot, or any other bodily fluid that is being excreted that day. Maybe when they get older . . . but by then I will probably be in a rut so deep I won’t be able to climb out.

Ahhh, a Real Job, I need a real job. Someplace where my opinion is valued. A place where anybody “spilling” on me would be a rarity. A place where other humans speak in real english, and I can understand what they’re saying without looking up from what I’m doing to watch a reinactment. Every night I dream about a real job . . .

16. Belinda says:

Hey, Girlfriend–I’m just checking to see if you’re the one who left the comment on my Dell post, because if you are, the head honcho of Direct2Dell answered you in my comments, and invited you to contact him directly!

If it wasn’t you, then, um…nevermind.

17. Kelly says:

I love that you wear Steve Madden leopard print shoes! That is fabulous! I’m more of a ballet flat type of girl myself with a secret “I wish I could pull off leopard print pumps” side hiding somewhere in there!

My husband has more shoes than me, it’s so sad. I did buy a few cute pairs of sandals last year (on sale!) that I’m building outfits around for spring. lol

My youngest daughter is a shoe freak (now 4 years old but it started when she was 18 months). I can’t go into a shoe store without “having” to buy her a new pair. (I probably feed into this obsession a little too much but little girl shoes are so cute!)

19. Darren McLikeshimself says:

Wow, nice to see that there are plenty of other men who love shoes. I wouldn’t go so far as to buy myself a pair to cheer myself up, but I do enjoy a good shoe now and then.

20. Nancy says:

shoe pimp - HA! I love it!

21. Oh my god, shoes says:

have you seen the video on youtube titled “Oh my god, shoes”? i laughed my little OCD shoe hording head off. you should find it if you search under that title…. worth it.