California is a siren

California is a siren

March 16, 2007

she sucks you in and won’t let you leave.

Last year when I was at Blogher in San Jose, I was awoken early in the morning by Kathryn, who discovered she had slept through her flight. I think I gave her the proper amount of empathy before rolling back over and grunting goodbye.

A few hours later, I would discover that ooops, I missed my flight too. Though I totally blame Mir.

Luckily, I had the lovely Grace to embrace me, feed me, and bring me to her home.

Rob just called me from the airport in San Francisco. No flights are currently landing at JFK. His flight is cancelled. Not postponed. CANCELLED. As in it sucks to be you right now, go wait in that huge line of similarly screwed people, where we will ignore you and let you languish in the airport to marinate in your own juices.

But not to worry. American got him on another flight.

Monday afternoon.

Comments

1. Mir says:

Nice to know you’re not holding a grudge about what happened at BlogHer, babe.

P.S. Didn’t you tell Rob to CRY? That’s how I get my way, when necessary.

2. deb says:

We’re in that ’sucks to be you’ group, as well. Trying to get a child home for spring (ha ha) break. We got him booked on the last flight to White Plains, NY on Sunday, or we could wait until “maybe Tuesday” for our local airport.

Enjoy your snow!

3. MyDuckies says:

Wow, I hope you stocked up on Swedish fish to get you through the weekend…home with the kids… and the snow!

Gotta love the weather and the havoc- Or NOT!!

4. Christina says:

OMG that’s terrible - I’m with Mir, he should try crying, always worth a shot :)

5. Tricia says:

If he’s bored tell him to call my family- they are within minutes of the airport.

Many moons ago they opened their home to some hitchhikers I picked up on my way home for a family reunion. Turns out the hithhikers were from Germany and they loved my family reunion/picnic!

6. Velma says:

Oh, Lordy. I actually ran through my mental list of “where in the world is _______ (insert name of family member)” this morning when they started announcing the pre-emptive flight cancellations. Good luck this weekend!

7. kathryn, dym says:

Are you coming right out and saying California sucks? Cause that might alienate some of your readers.

8. kate says:

I hope you have wine. I’m in the dark purple area too, though your map prefers to ignore that Canada also has weather. I just braved the nothingness (no snow, just a little wind and cold) in order to go to the wine and video stores. And I got a few groceries too. Hohos anyone? They go really well with Italian wine!

Hey, it’s 92 in California where I am right now (about 2.5 hours NE of LAX). So don’t blame California! ;)

Seriously, I am SO sorry, Chris… I would be having a cow if I were you–or him!

Oh, duh, you said he’s in San Francisco, not L.A.

Well, just blame San Francisco then. They’re like a whole other country up there. ;)

11. Julie says:

I live right next door to San Francisco in Berkeley, where it is currently 72 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. At least he can enjoy the gorgeous weather while he’s stranded!

12. crabby says:

Oy. Sorry about that. We live not far from SF. He’ll at least have nice weather while he’s here but I’m sure he’ll miss pitching in on the snow shoveling/blowing at home.

13. robiewankenobie says:

holy high hell.

14. Chris says:

I didn’t say I hate California. I love California, but next time I go there I will make sure I have back up plans to leave the state. Or else just plan on never leaving.

15. Kate says:

uggg sorry he can’t get home, my dh made it but after walking 2 miles getting 2 rides and helping 3 cars that were stuck due to the storm. ( his car couldn’t make it up the hill on his way home.

16. Elizabeth says:

What the heck is he supposed to do until Monday? Is the airline paying for food and a hotel? That really sucks! Plus, you, parenting alone all weekend. Hang in there!

17. GraceD says:

If Rob had been truly stuck here, Malcolm and I would have picked him up to do a bit of remodeling around the house, he’s so good at it.

I meant Rob, not Malcolm.

Anyway, Malcolm would have turned him into a dog lover as you have become, he being so good at that.

I meant Malcolm, not Rob.

(Why do you even put up with my ramblings on your bandwidth? You should block my silly ass.)

xoxox

I say you just never leave if you get stuck here again, Chris. ;)

19. LeeAnn says:

I’m an airline employee and when weather strikes it’s a major mess for everyone. Rebooking people is awful because the next days flights are often full and everyone, who has been cancelled, is also calling in to make their changes too. Needless to say the system can’t handle all of this, at the same time. For all of your readers, when weather happens the airlines will not pay for hotels or food since it is beyond their control. My airline will allow changes without charge due to major storms. If you are the one stranded at the airport take pity of the agent helping you because they are trying and yelling doesn’t help, it just hurts you. If you know weather will affect your travel plans call one day prior to the “big” storm and start making your new travel arrangement then.

20. Mary W says:

THe SF airport has crap places to eat too.