Men are from Mars, Women are sane

Men are from Mars, Women are sane

March 16, 2007

As I type this Rob is in Dallas, TX.

He is working his way east, one flight at a time.

His next scheduled flight will bring him to Minneapolis.

Given the choice of plane hopping across the country, or, say, remaining in San Francisco lounging around reading, drinking, eating, and soaking up sunshine for 3 more days, I would hands down stay in San Francisco. Wouldn’t need to twist my arm. And in the informal poll I took of all my women friends, all three of them, they agreed.

Some even suggested shopping for shoes, massages, and consuming frozen margaritas to lessen the pain of being forced to remain there all alone, in the peace and quiet.

Taking the same poll of all the men I know, which really means asking my girlfriends what they think their husbands would do. All agreed that they would be proactive and not ::GASP:: wait around.

Comments

1. deb says:

Keep us posted. I was assured byB every transportation carrier that there was no chance of my son getting a flight to New York before Sunday. I’d love to have Rob prove them wrong. But if he makes it to White Plains on Sunday afternoon, we could drive him to the CT border at least.

If he gets home soonish, take some time and do the massage/margarita/shoe shopping thing. It would only be fair since he’s enjoyed the hospitality and fine dining of many major US airports (not to mention very comfy chairs for napping).

2. GaftGirl says:

It is nice and toasty in Minnesota now - about 40 degrees! I’m sure he’ll have a fantastic stay at the airport.

3. Sleeping Mommy says:

This happened to my husband on the way home from CES in Las Vegas back in January. We were experiencing a monster ice storm. He ended up flying into Dallas and then rented a care and drove the remaining (normally 4.5 hour drive) home in the ice/snow storm that stretched from Dallas north all the way through Oklahoma. It took him all night to get home.

Honestly, I admit I would probably do the same thing–drive if I had to–I mean. But I’m freakishly masculine in some ares.

4. Sleeping Mommy says:

CAR not care. UGH

5. Sleeping Mommy says:

For. The. Love. Of. God.

AREAS not ares.

Goodnight I’m going to bed.

6. Chris says:

Hahaha. I didn’t even catch them on my first read through

7. Paula West says:

It’s warm here - we’re wearing shorts. Oh wait - only the insane husbands and his children that I bore that think this is shorts weather!

8. M says:

I just enjoyed the warm sunset here in CA…about 20 minutes from San Francisco…he shoulda stayed put…the margaritas are starting to flow :)

9. crabby says:

Your husband’s trip cross-country might be a cool geography lesson, a ‘where is dad now’ kind of tracking thing. The kids could learn about each city, as in ‘if he stayed put and left the airport what could he see in this city?’

10. Polly says:

My husband would do the same thing. Why? I guess the challange. Who knows. I would get a room, sit back, relax and then check out the town. What an opportunity to rest.
    Men - They will always be a mystery to me. That includes my 4.5 year old. I think he’s nuts most of the time, just like his Daddy.

11. Sara says:

I think it’s that Y chromosome. It demands that they try to solve the problem. It kicks in when you’re venting and they try to “fix” your problems. I had no idea it took over in airport when flights were cancelled! Hope he gets home soon, none the worse for the wear.
    I would TOTALLY have stayed put and soaked in the sun and alcohol.

12. zookeeper says:

That is so weird. My cousin’s flight from Jacksonville to Atlanta to Bradley came in early yesterday. I guess those southern run airports weren’t aware of the weather up here?! Anyways, she made it to the airport, but the weather was so bad they couldn’t rent a car and risk being on the road. And all the hotel rooms were booked. So they were sitting, with a 3 month old, waiting it out.

13. Carolynn says:

Yes I would definitely have stayed put, some R & R would be wonderful and a nosey around an unfaniliar environment is always good, you never know what you might find.

CJ

14. kathy says:

Send Rob down to us here in Quintana Roo. We’ll keep him toasty; we need A/C to sleep at night. We’ll send him back tanned and rested. Oh, and the reef is within swimming distance. Seriously; I keep wondering WHEN you guys are going to show up!!

15. Danielle says:

Men are insane. I would be taking naps in between my trips shopping and drinking in a wonderful kid free atmosphere.

16. Lauren says:

See, if I were this intrepid, maybe I’d be in Vail right now instead of still stranded in the icy Manhattan tundra. Then again, I sort of adapted to news of the cancellation immediately and scheduled a pedicure, soooooo…..

17. Annie says:

That is the strangest thing I’ve ever heard of. In my case my husband would probably do the same thing Rob’s doing just ’cause he’d rather endure a haggering three day cross-country journey than listen to me bitch and moan about “how nice” it must be to be stranded in San Francisco. They can’t win can they?

My husband would probably do the same, but only because I’d be screaming at him to get back on and rescue me from HIS CHILDREN. Notice, they are never mine when they are acting up!!

I on the other hand would be like….just call your mother-in-law. She needs to be needed and I enjoy the sun and margaritas

19. sandy says:

I’d have stayed back, downed a couple of martinis, listened to grown-up music, read grown-up books, done some grown-up clothes shopping AND no laundry, no dishes, no breaking up fights, no cooking, no lunch packs, no clean-up, no grocery shopping, no midnight tucking-ins and nobody tattling. Your husband is beyond repair.

But honestly, when i am away i feel the seperation more and i crave to get back home. My hormones and emotions are sadistic like that.

20. jodi y. says:

OMG…that reminds me of my favorite movie “Planes, Trains, and Automobiles” when Steve Martin is trying to get home to Chicago from NYC during a blizzard and goes all over the place stuck with John Candy. So funny!!!

21. Maddy says:

Oh I saw that film on DVD, oh no that was “Home Alone”. Hope he gets home soon.