Re-Entry

Re-Entry

March 25, 2007

Damn, I miss these kids when I am gone.

Today is my fourth son’s birthday. The big 8. He is very excited. I am not sure if the day can possibly live up to his expectations and the plans he has been thinking about for the past six months or so. He is currently out at the bakery getting his birthday cake, which I have affectionately called, the Death-for-mom-cake, since it will likely not be made out of cardboard or vegetables, basically the two food groups I am regularly eating from these days.

This lack of carbohydrates in my diet is killing me. How do you low carb people live? I feel like I am perpetually light headed from a lack of bread, bagels, pasta, etc. I have some dough turning into bread in my breadmaker as I type. I realize I can buy and bake egg-free things, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

It is a heck of a lot quieter here in my house than it is in NYC. Holy cow, what is everyone shouting about. Inside voices, people! INSIDE VOICES! And there is just so many people. Go home, people! GO HOME! (Yes, I do realize the irony of the fact that I am also a tourist.) Also, get out of my way.

I learned this week that there is no such thing as comfortable shoes. You might think your shoes are comfortable, but they really are not.

Comments

1. Mir says:

Well, your comfortable shoes are comfortable for the first 8 hours, maybe. After that, you need a nap. And by “you” I of course mean “me.”

I promise you do get accostomed to the eggless life. Well sort of. It’s the milkless life that tough!!!

3. jody2ms says:

Happy 8th #4!

I have the answer to comfortable shoes…..Roxy flip flops. Or barefoot.

Glad to have you home!

4. Carolynn says:

I hope No 4 has a wonderful 8th Birthday, please wish him all the best from CJ in Perth Western Australia.
    Is there Eggs in bought bread products?? What exactly was your Conferance about?

I just love bare feet the best, you can’t beat them, the very first thing I do when I get home from work of a night is to take off my shoes and soak up the coolness of the lovely cold terracotta tiles. BLISS !!!!!

5. rachel says:

Happy 8th birthday #4 son. :)

There’s a fabulous book with a wretched name (Bakin’ without Eggs) that is great for egg free baking, and with anything that only has 1-2 eggs in it, you can just substitute Egg Replacer. I did it for a year. I sympathize.

When my husband is low carb he eats a lot of beans for fiber. He also likes things like sweet potatoes (or you could have french fries).

If you want to take your kids for a walk on the beach, I’ll bake you ingredient-free cupcakes. :)

6. Karen says:

Happy Birthday to Kate’s cyber twin!

And {{{ HUGS }}} about the egg free living, sounds hard!

Karen

7. Fairly Odd Mother says:

You must go and get “Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World”—they are truly unbelievably yummy and easy to make and are egg and milk free (my oldest can’t have milk). I would make you a batch and run right over with them, but I think I’d be running quite a while! I’ve made them for many parties and no one would know they don’t have eggs in them.

Hope this helps you scratch your itch for something baked!

8. Elinor says:

I’m enjoying your blog. I have a very difficult time staying away from the carbs, too!

Elinor

9. Jenny says:

Hey! My oldest turned 8 today, too! Hope your birthday was all that you both hoped!

10. barbara says:

you need a pair of CROCS girl!!!

11. elizabeth k. says:

crocs I tell ya - gotta buy yourself some stylin’ crocs ;-) (I know ugly - but there are some newer/cuter styles…)

Glad/hope - you had fun.

Happy BDAY 8 yo son!!!!!!!!

12. Kristie says:

Today was my son’s birthday, also; he turned 9. I think 8 was a good year for him, as he solidified his plans to be a CIA Ninja when he grows up. I hope your son’s 8th birthday year is just as successful!

And yes. Just yes. About New York, about low-carb living, and about comfortable shoes. Which explains why I live in the suburbs, am fat as a cow, and wear very unstylish shoes. But at least I’m comfortable, well-fed, and not stressed out.

13. cce says:

I’ve been avoiding wheat for a year and can tell you it gets easier. Another positive, with all the food restrictions, you will lose a few pounds without thinking about it Just so many things you’ll have to avoid means eating less and weighing less. SO there’s a silver lining.

14. Holli Smith says:

Oh I do hope the birthday is happy happy happy and it’s all he wants it to be!
    I know how big the imagination can get! But I’m sure surrounded by his amazing family he can’t possibly be disappointed!

15. Woman with Kids says:

I bet the frosting won’t have eggs, right? So that’s license to eat nothing but frosting… which is what I usually do anyways.

Welcome home and happy 8th birthday! Good luck with the cake, that sucks.

17. Melanie says:

The city definitely teaches you about comfortable shoes. Maybe you can make your own vegan cake -some of the eggless ones are actually pretty good.

18. Bridget says:

The no carb/low carb thing does get easier. You walk around feeling tipsy for the first week, but then your body adjusts to it. Good luck!

19. Sharyn says:

Okay, I keep getting sucked into these blogs by these women who are so much smarter and funnier than I am. I was just going to anonymously visit (via madmarriage) until I got to your early March post asking “where is my Larry?” When you asked about plunger ears, I just burst out laughing. Which leads me to ask: “Oh where is my hairbrush?”

20. zookeeper says:

My husband has been doing no carbs for about 3 weeks. It is the most boring diet- cheese, eggs, meat, some veggies (but not all veggies) and nuts. I am a bad wife and gladly scarf down my baked potato skins in front of him.

21. Kathy says:

Happy 8th Birthday. I hope your day is wonderful.

Chris I hope that your appt. with the allergist goes well and that you can get to eating some yummy things again soon.

22. Ashley says:

I’ve been on the low carb thing for a month now and Im also 4 months preggo (dr. recommended thing) It does get easier after the first couple of weeks but OMG pancakes loaded with syrup sound so good right now.

23. InterstellarLass says:

It doesn’t matter how comfortable your shoes are…hours on your feet hurt no matter what! Only remedy is a good barstool and an adult beverage.

24. Trivial Mom says:

If your in the mood for baking . . . this is the best milkless, eggless, bread recipe I have yet to find:

2 tablespoons Yeast
    2.5 cups water
    3 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons oil
    2 teaspoons salt
    4-6 cups flour

Mix yeast, water, and half the sugar. Let sit 5-10 minutes, until foamy. Add the rest of the sugar, oil, salt, and half the flour. Mix well. Add the rest of the flour 1 cup at a time, until dough forms a ball, but is still soft and slightly sticky. Let rise until double (30-45 minutes). Form and let rise for an additional 30 minutes. Bake at 400* for 25 minutes.

It will make two huge loaves of french bread, or four loaves of regular. If you want to just throw it all in the bread maker you can, but I would suggest cutting it down by at least 1/2. This also makes really yummy cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls, pizza crust (only rise once), pretzels, basically you can form it how ever you’d like.

For any type of rolls I still bake it at 400*, but you’ll want to watch the time. Cinnamon rolls usually take 15-20 minutes, and dinner rolls (9×9 pan) 12-15.

Hope this helps, you’ve got to have carbs in your life!

25. Shelly says:

I think bread is egg free…at least when I make it in the bread machine it is. I looked at a bread label this morning and didn’t see any in there - so maybe you can liberate yourself from your non-carb state.

26. Beth B. says:

My son also just turned 8, they should have a playdate sometime.. I have 5 boys at my house today (two are playdates) and I am still IN AWE of how you do it with 6 boys and one lovely girl!

27. Mary W says:

My middle son turned 8 in February.

If you have a whole Foods granola type store near you they make an eggless egg type product that you can use for baking. I am allergic to eggs too.