In which DELL redeems itself

In which DELL redeems itself

March 26, 2007

It has been three weeks since I wrote this post, detailing my DELL laptop woes. The very next day I recieved an email from someone named Rick, a DELL superhero. I think his actual job title is something more like customer advocate, but really superhero sounds much better.

The short version of the story is that on March 15th a new replacement laptop was shipped to my house. It arrived at my house bright and early last Monday. I unpacked it and ooooohed and aaaaaaaaahed, clutching it to my breast like it was my prodigal child returned home.

a package from heaven...

I did not put the packing material over my head.

a helpful note

I am so glad that this helpful note was on the packing materials because I was planning on wrapping the plastic around my face while I danced around the house with unbridled glee. And that would have been bad. But DELL, they are looking out for me.

Alas, I needed a special fancy cord to transfer all my stuff from my old laptop to my new laptop. And that confused my poor adled brain. I know Rick is thinking right now, “What, we gave a new computer to her? She so is not worthy. She probably broke the old one herself.”

I was too busy freaking out over my allergy attack, packing for NYC, and freaking out about the possibility of having an allergy attack in NYC. Finally on Wednesday, in an effort to procrastinate from doing all the last minute things that I really did need to get done like fill the car with gas, take a shower, buy the Eragon movie on dvd for the children, and threaten those same children to behave for the sitter, I bought the special cord. But, I ran out of time to use it before I had to leave to catch my train.

I ended up leaving my power cord at home along with the special cord, so I had no working laptop with me. Yes, Rick is shaking his head again, thinking, “Really? You are not worthy of any computer. Go back to a pencil and notepad.”

But finally, yesterday…..

New Laptop

a working laptop. One that does more than just warm my lap.

Comments

1. Beth F. says:

What a pretty, pretty addition to your family! Congratulations!

2. CaliforniaGrammy says:

There is nothing more satisfying than having a functional laptop . . . nothing! Good for you, and good for Dell!

3. kate says:

Now that is awesome!

4. InterstellarLass says:

Wheee! New laptop! Good for you!

5. Lisa says:

Did they send you the new laptop because you were dissing Dell on your blog or was that just a coincidence? Congrats on the new computer.

6. Y says:

I want a laptop.

(Seriously. I do.)

7. Novaks8 says:

I want a laptop as well but EVERYONE I know who has one, has had issues with it.

I seem to have a curse concerning anything that plugs into an outlet so I am scared.

8. cce says:

Ahhh, it’s beautiful. I’ve had a similar experience with a tea pot but the laptop still working so far (perhaps b/c its a Compaq?) Hope this one treats you better!

9. Sara says:

Woooooot! So glad that DELL is looking out for you by printing their dramatic (poor gasping)face on the packaging. Would’ve been sad to lose you to a dance of glee.

10. Homemom3 says:

This is great news. Hope the computer is VERY useful and doesn’t die.

11. deborah says:

oooooooooooh, it’s so pretty. i want one. between the kids homework stupid assignments, and my husbands countless hours of whatever he does on it, i really need one for my blogging “business”, yeah, for my blogging socializing. that. it’s so pretty, i’m in a sort of trance looking at your screen. were you??

12. Meg says:

YAY!!!!

13. Darren McLikeshimself says:

Yay!

Is it just me, or is that little cartoon with the bag around his head a little too detailed? He looks like he’s in agony! The only thing missing is another bubble showing him loosing control of his cartoon functions right before he cartoon dies.

14. Robbin says:

Good for you! Why is it the easiest things always turn out to be the hardest??? Hopefully this one is in top condition!

15. bluepaintred says:

oh dear. the eragon movie? have you read the book(s)? its so disappointig. me and the husband read the first two books and are awaiting the third. we saw the movie, and it has just about nothing to do with the books, which are wonderful!

we are currently reading the books to our four and seven year olds, becuase they wanted to see the movie too, but its just such a dissapointment!

im glad your lap top works now…

16. Pendullum says:

Purrty…
    I love my laptop… and my husband makes fun of me as I will not let him touch it… It is my one possession which I do not share….

Pretty, pretty new laptop. You lucky girl.

18. paula says:

Longtime reader coming out to say what a lovely new laptop, good for Dell for finally sending you one. I’m assuming it has Vista, how is that working out for you?
    I don’t know what I would do without my laptop. It’s my lifeline, lol.

19. Ruth H says:

When I bought my laptop last November I had to have one of those special cords, so I bought one, used it, transferred, etc. Then one of my geeky sons, older than you, said,”Mom, all you needed was a memory stick!” He was right, all I needed was a memory stick. I have one now and if you were close by I would be happy to give you my special, USB to USB cord, I’m pretty sure I’ll never use it again. The other geeky son, older than you, gave me a Maxtor III external drive for backup for Christmas. That would have done the trick too, just another transfer involved. I love my geeky sons, btw, my daughter is geeky too. I like to brag it is all my brains, Dad is a Phd but he is NOT geeky. I have to do all the computer work. Remember the old saying, all you youngster wives, NEVER LEARN TO CHANGE A LIGHTBULB! same is true with computers.

Sweet! Three cheers for Rick, the Dell superhero!

21. The Wooden Porch says:

Very cool!

22. Anne says:

Nice Very Nice

23. Kristen says:

…and then all was right with the world.

24. Dianna says:

I have the same computer and love it! Congratulations!

25. Danielle says:

Oooooohhhhhhh! it’s pretty. I want pretty computer too. Mine is as old as my oldest child. Not old in kids years but old in computer years and is not a laptop.

I’m so happy for you!

26. Fairly Odd Mother says:

I love crazy instructions like the one telling you not to suffocate yourself with the plastic bag.

Glad you have a shiny new laptop! Looks pretty!

27. liz says:

Hooray!

28. Jordana (the non-Curmudgeonry one) says:

The little arm reaching into the box is my favorite.