B-A-N-A-N-A-S

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

March 27, 2007

Every since I had the anaphylactic reaction to something last Saturday I have been paranoid to eat food. I examine every single label and if it has something in there that I can not readily identify I don’t eat it. That eliminates a whole bunch of foods. A whole bunch of yummy yummy foods.

On the plus side, I have lost those few extra pounds that were hanging out on my ass since the Christmas cookie eat-a-thon that lasted well through January.

The one thing I confidently ate, and ate with abandon, the past week and a half was bananas. Mir looked at me skeptically one day at the deli as I purchased yet another banana. “Are you sure you want to eat another banana?” she asked.

“Who cares if I never crap again. At least I know I’m not allergic to them.” I had laughed.

And eventually I did become more brave and branch off into eating other things, like apples and lettuce.

Leading up to my appointment with the allergist today I wasn’t sure what to hope for. On one hand, being told, “You are allergic to eggs!” on the other hand being told, “You aren’t allergic to anything, you crazy woman. Quit your over reacting and bitching. Don’t you know that there are people with real problems in this world?”

I went in and told the doctor the whole long story and he said, “This is a textbook case. I almost feel like we don’t have to do testing just based on what you went through.”

But of course we did. Probably to justify my $25 co-pay.

My back was pricked with a million little shots, or at least it felt like a million.

And then after it began to get itchy the doctor came in and looked at my back.

“Huh,” he said.

“Huh?” I said.

“You aren’t reacting to eggs the way I thought you would. Though I would say you are in the 10% who are actually allergic and don’t show up on the skin test. But you are highly allergic to bananas. I wouldn’t eat those anymore if I were you. Oh, and apples too. And here have a script for a second Epi-pen since I really don’t know what the hell is wrong with you.”

Okay maybe I embellished that last sentence a bit.

But, seriously? There go all my aspirations of being the next Carmen Miranda.

Carmen_Miranda

Later as he walked out the door he turned and said, “Try not to make yourself crazy over this.”

Too late for that. As in years too late.

Comments

1. debby says:

You poor thing! Tough diet.

But the “I don’t care if I ever crap again” had me in stitches. Sorry to laugh at your misfortune.

I hope the doctor has a plan for figuring out what IS wrong.

2. Liz in Australia says:

Oh boy… What a nightmare! The women in my family all seem to develop allergies in their 40s and 50s, so I guess I have that to look forward to in a decade or two. But what screwy results! What are you eating now - air?

3. Tricia says:

Banana’s, really??????????? You gotta be kidding me!

4. Fairly Odd Mother says:

Is he doing a blood test? I’m not sure about eggs, but apparently the skin test only screens for one of 4 milk allergens. My oldest tested negative for milk on the skin test but positive for one of its proteins in the blood test. And allergic to bananas? And apples? Bizarre!

Wait… then shouldn’t you be all huge and itchy now? I hope not!!! At least bananas are relatively avoidable!

6. Melanie says:

Do you think he actually went to medical school, or maybe he just got his degree online at google or something? How can that even work if you’ve been eating all these bananas and been fine??

7. M&Co. says:

The BoyChild is allergic to all kinds of foods and airborne allergans. With him, it manifests itself in a variety of ways; aggression, hyperactivity, red face and ears, runny nose. His allergy testing has taken two full afternoons and we only did one or two allergens at a time, every ten minutes from 1:30 till 5:00, and then gave him varying doses of the stuff. I think we’ve still got a lot of stuff to test him for too.

I’d recommend reading some of Doris Rapp’s books about allergy testing and food and environmental allergies.

And yeah, he tested positive for bananas too.

8. Stacy says:

Be careful how crazy you allow yourself to get over this. My mother had some reactions to a handful of foods and she got herself so *worried* about what foods she could eat and could not and started imaging something was wrong with everything she ate…Turned into a phobia and she still deals with that evil voice now and then to this day…Good you know what you are allergic to now..apples and bananas…odd….but everything else is good and that is great! Take care of yourself chickey…

9. Chris says:

WOW, I’ve never heard of anyone being allergic to bananas, go figure. Good Luck, I know I would sure as hell be just as anal all things food too. Hey, as long as you are not allergic to wine, then life is good. You are not allergic to wine, are you? Now that would be so sad.

10. briana says:

You may not be able to eat a banana cream pie or apple pie anymore, but isn’t it good that you can have cake and ice cream and berries and chocolate???
    I can’t tell you to not worry about food (I do it already myself with everything I eat - sticking to the same stuff like a broken record), but thankfully it isn’t the in-everything type ingredients (milk, eggs, wheat). :) Eh?

11. Carolynn says:

Chris, sorry about your news regarding the allergies. Amazing that you have been eating the bananas with what appears to be no obvious effects, I wonder if he got the allergens the right way around on the test squares????, WELL you never know do you.

By the way, do you stll use the e-mail address you have set up under the “ContactMe” link as I have written a couple of e-mails, I know you are a very busy Mum and it may take a few days before you are able to answer and I am probably not the only person writing to you, but I just love getting e-mails and talking to new people.
    CJ

12. Blythe says:

Erm umm yeah, I’d be getting a retest lol. Those results made absolutely no sense. ((HUGS))

13. R says:

Chris,

I am HIGHLY allergic to banana’s and it has gotten worse over the last few years. I used to eat them daily until I started breaking into hives and then the throat swelling…scary!! Over the past 15 years I have added several new things {watermelon, avacodo, raw tomato…and many others} After doing some research I was able to determine this is common among people with latex allergy. You may not be allergic yet or ever but it’s helpful to look up the list and keep it in mind. And be careful when you get smoothies..you tell them no banana so they make your in the same pitcher that had banana in it previously and don’t know till your throat is closing!!

I hope you find answers soon, that has to be so frustrating!

14. Hannah says:

My daughter has just developed an allergy to Dairy products after being the kind of person who would binge on milk and cheese. From what I was told - if you eat a LOT of one thing, chances are you may become allergic to it.
    Although I haven’t become allergic to chocolate so far…………

15. liz says:

I’m sorry all you got was more confusion. You may want to visit Purple Kangaroo’s site - she’s had a ton on allergies lately (http://purplekangaroopuzzle.blogspot.com/).

16. jody2ms says:

Crap. There go my plans for banana daiquiris at Blogher.

17. cce says:

Is there any possibly that you were showing antibodies to bananas based on the sheer quantity you had eaten in the past few days? Maybe it’s a bogus reading. Though I’d take the banana allergy over the egg allergy any day.

18. Sara says:

Bananas? Okay. Apples? Sorry. But NOT Diet Coke. Right? RIGHT?! There is a glimmer of sunlight…(and it’s reflecting off of the pretty silver diet Coke can).

Strangely enough, you can “test” positive to something and not have a reaction to it while eating it. There is also something called false positives with the skin test, but that may only apply to babies. My son’s allergist told us not to worry about something until he had a reaction to it. I know, not very comforting to you Chris……

20. Kerry says:

I would go for a blood test. It makes no sense that you have eaten mass quantities of bananas without a reaction, yet reacted to eggs but didn’t test for them. My child has been through life threatening allergies and we have always been told that skin testing is kind of a crap shoot. Actually they told us that they couldn’t test him because he was too young, then an anaphylactic reaction changed things. Allergies suck!

21. Darren McLikeshimself says:

Why do we bother seeing doctors?

22. george says:

I Don’t Believe You!

23. Kathleen says:

Oooooh allergies suck! I was skin pricked after my second child and found wheat and tomatoes on the stay away from list. My sister does allergy clearings that seem to be working for her… http://www.energetic-balance.com/BioSET.html
    It’s a different drug free way of dealing with it that she swears by.

24. Meg says:

WHOA! That’s crazy!

25. Patricia says:

A few years back I was flattened with an allergic reaction to something (to this day unknown). I was told by my doctors at the time that food allergies are VERY hard to determine (to the point that they wouldn’t even do the skin test) and I should employ the “eat slowly” method until I had another reaction that could narrow it down.
    Basically, I was told the severity is based on quantity and thus a small bite of something (at the time we thought it could be fish) would not be as bad as a whole plate. Who knows, really. I avoided the items I ate that night for dinner for a long time, but slowly I’ve had most of them again without a reaction.
    So, now I carry an Epi-Pen and worry that my 3 year old will find it hidden in my bag and think it is a fun toy. Fun stuff, right?

26. Kim says:

OK - I think this just SCREAMS of needing a 2nd opinion…

27. Denise says:

ok.. well then.. um.. yeah.. I think there is a bit of an issue there eh?
    Perhaps the massive banana ingestion triggered a false positive?
    I am thinking.. second opinion too..

28. Joy H says:

No way! I’d hop for a 2nd opinion. OR perhaps enjoy some scrambled eggs in the office so he can see your reaction (but a cupcake would taste better).

Now go enjoy a warm piece of buttered toast.

29. J. Fergie says:

i don’t mean to laugh….but lol! poor you. but look on the bright side - avoiding eggs is a heck of a lot harder than avoiding bananas. this means you can still participate in the christmas-cookie-eat-a-thon without worry!

30. InterstellarLass says:

Oh dear. Are you sure he remembered where he put what? I’d find a 2nd opinion…sounds like a quack to me.

31. melissa says:

oooooooooooooohhhhh, boy don’t even get me started. i, too, am allergic to the phallic fruit and have known it my entire life. my personal favorite is when you order something in a restaurant and the waiter/waitress cocks their head at you when you empathically say, “but NO BANANAS”, as if you’re crazy. or the amount of people who say, “really? bananas? is that possible? i’ve never heard of that.” no, i’m making it up. really. or when you order something in the aforementioned restaurant and it still comes with bananas, and you have to send it back. oigh, it can be quite the adventure.
    best wishes and hope you’re feeling better!

32. Amy says:

I’m allergic to bananas and Kiwi, you may not want to eat that either. And I have a latex skin allergy which they say is related to the banana allergy, banana trees and rubber trees are in the same family. I can eat bananas in a small quantity if they are cooked in something like bread. Wish you the best, Amy

Ok, so, um what ARE you allergic to?
    I always say Doctors. Who needs ‘em?

34. Tricia says:

I am so sorry to hear about your allergy. I have a similarly strange egg allergy. I can eat brownies with several eggs baked in them, but cheese cake makes me sick. I can eat cookies with eggs baked in them, but if I cook scrambled eggs and get a tiny bit on my sausage, I’m SICK. If I boil eggs for my kids and breath in the steam because I’m cooking something else at the same time on the stove my STOMACH is sick. HOW is that possible, I ask?
    Honestly I am too scared to play with it and find out why some eggs don’t bother me and some do. There is nothing like a serious allergic reaction to scare your pants off!

Strangely enough, I developed this allergy while I was pregnant with my dd who was born with a FATAL allergy to ALL dairy. Weird, hu?

35. JENinMICH says:

I know quite a few people that actually are allergic to bananas AND apples both. Kind of crazy that apparently you are as well. This may be a hardship if you consume a lot of this type of food as do I. Glad you are feeling better!

36. Maliavale says:

Oh, no! So what CAN you eat?!

37. Julie says:

Have you heard of the Feingold Elimination Diet? I’ve had friends whose kids had food reactions and this diet has saved their sanity. You basically eliminate all kinds of foods for a couple weeks then introduce them one by one back into your diet and see what happens. Maybe you can look into it. Also, the way the eggs are prepared may influence your reaction. You said you took a nibble while they were cooking. When I was breastfeeding my son I ate some egg noodle dough (raw eggs in it) and he broke out in a horrible rash. But cooked eggs didn’t bother him. Just a thought.

38. Brigitte says:

I agree with CCE (and a couple others) - it must have been a false positive related to the sheer quantity of bananas and apples in your system. Lay off those and eat a couple other fruits for a week before you get re-tested, and see how THOSE come out. And bring a hard-boiled egg to the office to eat in front of the doctor.

I can sympathize with the allergy issues. My kids have multiple food and medication allergies as well as anaphylactic allergies to bee stings and latex. These allergies were a huge part of our decision to homeschool.

It isn’t unusual for someone to crave the food they are actually allergic to so the high consumption of bananas doesn’t surprise me. You might want to watch out for latex though because many people with allergies to bananas develop allergies to latex (they share a common protein).

Go safely.