and the shelf life is 27 years

and the shelf life is 27 years

March 31, 2007

“Look at this box of cookies I bought at the healthfood store today. The packaging says that the cookies are soy, dairy, nut, egg, corn, gluten, fish, and shellfish free.”

“What’s in it?”

“I suspect they are made of plastic. With a handful of sawdust and some glue thrown in for flavor.”

“Sounds tasty.”

Comments

1. kalisah says:

I didn’t even know people PUT shellfish in cookies.

2. rachel says:

LG ate half a box of the new Happy Apple cookies from EnjoyLife (a friend was sharing - why do toddlers/preschoolers always like everyone else’s food best?). My favorites of theirs are the chocolate-chocolate-chip & snickerdoodle. I think they’re pretty tasty. But then, I haven’t had gluten OR dairy in over 4 years. I still like my home-made cookies best, though. ;) no sawdust, or glue. No shelf life, either, though.

3. Anna says:

If they’re so super tasty, maybe that pretty Mir can find you a coupon code for Amazon…they’ll get sent right to your very own doorstep!
    :-) Anna

4. Kendra says:

I think we need Rachel’s home-made recipe. I’m with you Chris, I bet they taste nasty. Good Luck!

5. kris says:

Sounds ok for the humans, but I wouldn’t feed it to the cats . . . ;)

6. Lana says:

That reminds me of a package of sausages I bought recently. Didn’t say what was omitted from the food, but wasn’t too clear on what was included either. The listed ingredients: “meat”, “salt”, “sugar”, “spices”.

God knows what we were consuming! Tasty though…

PS. I believe that shellfish flavoured cookies are actually available here. And squid. Yum!

7. cole says:

You would be suprised what is in your food…do you know how many ingriendents are contained in the single listed ingreident, “Natural Strawberry Flavor” ? Hint…not one is strawberry anything. 40!

see here…for the list:

8. Dy says:

I’ve been shockingly pleased with the foods put out by Namaste brand foods. They’re pretty allergen-free, and yet still, somehow (God bless the freaks they have in their engineering kitchen) taste okay.

You’re going to learn more about food and food processing than you never, ever wanted to know. But with a good sense of humor intact, it’s not a bad ride.

Dy

My poor son ate chicken nuggets and fries for a year because it was the one thing I could buy, unfreeze, and cook that didn’t have any or all of his allergens. So my cooking skills ae lacking….having said that there are some really good online recipes for cakes and cookies.

10. mom8k says:

hmmm…fish-free cookies! What a relief!

11. InterstellarLass says:

But I’m sure it’s only the best sawdust and glue.

Another vote for Namaste! They are yummy and free of most allergens. I don’t know what you are avoiding, but we are gluten free here so that’s what I know best. Pamela’s mixes are so fabulous. The best chocolate cake I have ever had and before going gluten free I didn’t even like chocolate cake (though that’s the only chocolate thing I didn’t like!)

13. Joy H says:

Mmmmmmmmm, styrofoam cookies :)

14. meredith says:

I know you probably have access to lots of recipes, but the other day I made a good eggless, dairy-free chocolate cake. there was gluten, though…

15. Carolynn says:

Chris are you allergic to nuts at all. If not here is a mix I make up myself and is a great little healthy snack even the kids would love.The quatities of each are up to yourself.

Almonds, pistatio nuts, sultanas, dried paw paw pieces, dried pineapple pieces, sunflower seeds and pumkin seeds (also known as papitas).

CJ

16. Melanie says:

Yummmmmm, glue and sawdust cookies are my favorite. Some of those health food things take some serious getting used to, but some are awesome - here’s hoping you got the awesomely yummy ones.

17. Holli Smith says:

Okay, what’s the point in eating cookies?

18. cce says:

Absolutely, what’s the point is right. After struggling through a couple boxes of the atrocious wheat free variety of Health food cookies I decided to put cookies aside entirely. That’s when I turned to whole bags of chocolate; kisses, peanut butter cups, miniatures. With all my food aversions you’d think I could lose five pounds. Instead I’ve gained seven. WTF! Hope this doesn’t happen to you.

19. Mrs. Schmitty says:

One Word- YUCK!

20. Joanne says:

And you actually bought them???

Yum! They sound tasty. I’m glad to hear they are fish free.

22. Jenn says:

I recently receive a package with those Styrofoam peanuts. Shall I send them to you for your next yummy snack?

*shudder*