bread ‘em and weep because I can’t eat bread

bread ‘em and weep because I can’t eat bread

April 2, 2007

I never wanted to be one of those people. You know the type. The ones who can never eat anything you have to serve, have a list of ailments a mile long, and generally seem so persnickety you have the urge to tell them to lighten up. or maybe that is just me.

I don’t like to bother people, or inconvenience them. Even to my own detriment. A fact that was glaringly obvious when I was in NYC a couple weeks ago and didn’t want to bother anyone with my food allergies. And Mir yelled at me, in a loving way, and pointed out that my dying would be even more inconvenient to all of them. I had to agree, though it didn’t make me feel any better.

And yet, here I am. I am one of them.

At the risk of sharing TMI, but really isn’t that what this blog is all about anyway sharing too much information about the minutia of my life, I have had stomach “issues” since I was a small child. Over they years the “issues” have changed and evolved from constant constipation to the clenched cheek sprint. Bloating, debilitating stomach cramps, and a host of other maladies of which I will spare you the details.

So to make a long story short, I am now gluten free. This in addition to already being egg free, dairy free, and shellfish free. Did you know gluten is in everything? Well it is. At least everything that has been prepared for my convenience by other people in factories somewhere.

Basically you never want to invite me over to your house for dinner, or if you do just make sure you grab a handful of grass out of your yard and toss it on a plate for me. If you happen to have some dairy, egg, and gluten free dressing I’ll take that with it. And I can’t have beer.

Tonight I am making hamburgers, yellow rice and salad for dinner. And I am really wishing that I had bought those ridiculously overpriced gluten free hamburger rolls, because eating a hamburger without a roll is just not right. I can’t bring myself to do it. But when I was in the healthfood store and saw them for $5.99 for 4 rolls I was all on my high horse, “I can MAKE those myself. I am not paying that amount of money for some tasteless frozen hamburger buns.”

But of course I haven’t made them.

I did buy several different kinds of gluten free flour and something called xanthan gum, which apparently I need to make gluten free goodies, though I have no idea what it actually is. I have them all lined up on the counter next to me, where they are mocking me from their incredibly small and yet incredibly expensive packages.

I have eaten most of my chocolate covered sawdust cookies and really they aren’t half bad. They are almost like cookies. Almost.

Comments

1. kippi says:

well, you can come over to my house anytime for dinner. I am gluten free (celiac disease), dairy free, shellfish free. I can work around the egg thing for you! and you are gluten free at just the right time as Anheiser Busch just unveiled “RedBridge”, a GLUTEN FREE BEER made from sorghum.

imho, save your money on those hamburger buns. they taste awful. I can find you a good recipe if you need help. Feel free to email me anytime.

2. Ani says:

Can you have corn? Cause corn tortillas are gluten-free. Burger wrap anyone?

3. Deputy's Wife says:

Oh, how I can identify the clenched cheek sprint. Which, by the way, is a cool name for it. Around these parts we call it the spray poop dash. But just for fun sometime, I might announce your name for my mad dash to the bathroom. I am sure whatever kid I am yanking off the toilet, mid-stream, will like that.

I am really sorry about the whole gluten free thing. Can you have jelly beans? While reading your post all I could think of is “Can she have jelly beans?” Pathetic, I already know I am.

Good luck to you.

4. J says:

Ooh - sorry about all this. I’ve done the no dairy thing, and that was tough enough! I do know several people who are gluten-free and once they get settled into what they can and can’t have, they do great.

When I was in the liquor store the other day, I noticed gluten-free vodka highlighted at the checkout…so you can still have cocktails.

5. Elizabeth says:

I keep running into people with celiac disease who have gone gluten free. The consensus is that it’s easier now than it used to be - but there is still cost and bother. We have restaurants here kind enough to note their gluten-free offerings (including an awesome Italian restaurant - yes, pasta!). Please do follow up after a few weeks and let us know if the diet is making an improvement. From what I read there are boatloads of us out here who should do the same, but our symptoms aren’t severe enough that we question them yet.

6. meg says:

I have celiac disease, my daughter has egg, peanut and wheat allergies. It’s a really hard change to wrap your head around, but there are mixes and products out there that taste good and follow your new diet. A couple of products that I have found to be good are any Tinkyada brand pastas. They taste good and have great texture. Also Pamelas mixes. Pancake and cookie mix make great pancakes, muffins and chocolate chip cookies. We use Engery Egg replacer to make these and they’re great! Pamela also has an unbelievable chocolate cake mix. We make the cupcakes and everyone asks for the recipe. You can order Pamela’s mixes on Amazon. Go to Pamelasproducts.com for info and more recipes for the mixes. Good luck. I’m happy to share more ideas if you are looking for them.

7. Andrea Q says:

Visit Rachel’s Recipe Box for some great allergen-free recipes!

8. Andrea Q says:

My BIL has celiac. Once he went gluten free, he was actually able to eat dairy again and lots of things that had previously caused him gastrointestinal upset. Good luck…homemade food is better for you anyway!

9. stephanie says:

best gluten-free website ever!

and a great place to order pretty good chocolate chip cookies and other expensive items! i like the pancake mix too!

good luck!

10. Girl con Queso says:

Holy crap! What’s left? Heaping bowls of air?

11. Tamatha says:

All is not lost-at least you can still shop for shoes ;)

12. Liz in Australia says:

Oh, yikes. My daughter used to be gluten-free and for a while there we were also vegan, so I have tried living with all the above exclusions. Once the first adjustment period is over it does get easier! Sweet things were definitely the hardest, but there are a lot of products out there which are edible, just hard to find and expensive. The trick is not to think of something as being a direct substitute for another food that you loved. They aren’t. But a lot of them do taste pretty good on their own merits.

GF baking in particular is trial and error. If you can find a message board or egroup for other people on GF diets then you can profit from other people having BTDT and perfected the recipe. Good luck!

13. HipWriterMama says:

I feel your pain. We are egg, dairy, nut and shellfish free in our household. It was tough at the beginning, but we’re all used to it now. Good luck on your food adventure.

14. Angie says:

I too have Celiac…Kinnikinnick sandwich bread is the best I have found, Namaste has many good mixes (not sure which don’t require eggs). FYI I’m sure you were all ready told but gluten sensitivity is genetic and your kids may have it. My son had no intestinal issues but had hyperactivity and behavioral issues that resolved once he went gluten free after a positive test.

15. Joy H says:

I have nothing to offer but ((((hugs)))) I can’t imagine.

16. Owlhaven says:

Hre’s a yumy recipe for you:

Thai Soong

This is basically minced chicken, carrots, onions, corn, and cabbage. Stir-fry the meat and veggies in a wok or skillet with a bit of oil (sesame oil is best but olive or peanut oil is fine). Add a couple TBSP of sugar,some fresh grated ginger, garlic and salt to taste, and cook a few minutes more to blend seasoning. (You can use a bit of soy sauce if you can find it gluten free– most of it has wheat in it though.)

Serve with fresh lettuce leaves. Everyone wraps bites of the meat veggie mixture in fresh lettuce leaves to make their own tiny burritos.

It is yummy and you will not believe how much lettuce your family will eat with this yummy filling.

Dairyfree, gluten free, egg free.

To avoid the most common allergies, think international cuisine!

Good luck!

Mary

17. Merry says:

I’ve got a nut and milk free daughter and i too have the “i never planned on being this kind of mother” thing too. I annoy myself - but i know it’s for her benefit so i’m gradually getting over myself :) Judging by your list of symptoms though, maybe i should go gluten free too :(

Good luck :)

18. Brigitte says:

Ummmm . . you could become a carnivore. How ’bout a slab o’ steak, a salad, and lots of wine?

19. Jeana says:

Aw, man. Wine’s not off the list, right? Because technically it’s a fruit.

So are the diet changes helping with the stomach issues?

20. rachel says:

oh sweetie, I’m so sorry.

I can talk you through stuff. let me know what you need. We’ve been gf 4 years now and eliminated a gazillion things during that time, but now we’re “just” gluten, dairy, berry free. 8 gazillion recipes (which all do taste yummy, tested by allergy-free people) over at:

Drink lots of wine. Lots of wine and candy/treats. Really.

Oh - and my kids are boggled by the idea of hamburgers on buns - they’ve never had them that way. oops. You could pretend you are trendy and have it in a lettuce wrap.

21. cce says:

Wow, blown away by how many of your blog readers are allergic to wheat. Count me in, I’m not celiac but have a wheat allergy. I went a whole year without pizza and cookies and anything good and then found Digestive Advantage, a pill that a person with IBS can take to help control symptoms. Try it. If you’re not true celiac it may help you digest some of this good stuff. Because it’s just too cruel to have to give up pizza.

22. brookem says:

i feel for you chris, i really do. i’m a gluten-free, strict vegetarian for health reasons. for the first month or so, it totally sucked. then i figured out the foods that i could eat without puking and things are a lot better. but i have yet to find a decent cookie. also, as i recall, xanthum gum comes from corn.

23. Woman with Kids says:

It’s a rough adjustment, finding foods you can eat instead of just seeing foods you can’t. I’m allergic to garlic, which is also in everything. Hope things get easier. And enjoy your expensive burger…

24. Beth says:

I’m deluking to tell you that Trader Joes has a list of all their foods that are gluten free. Good Luck!

I really don’t have anything gluten-free to add but I have to second Mir’s vote that you dying would be very inconvenient. *passes the chocolate Easter candy*

Let me offer a little encouragement. Your allergies could change for the better. We were egg, dairy, tree nut, and melon free. We are now egg and downfree. Of course it takes a few years for this too happen. And you really will get used to it…..after a few months.

They have pancakes, chocolate cake, chocolate cookies….etc. And they are gluten free!!!!

Good Luck!!!

27. Antique Mommy says:

You might want to see a gastroenterologist. You might have some form of bowel disease. I know that sounds bad, but a lot of those issues can be controlled with meds and if that is the case at least you’d be able to eat some decent food. Trust me. I know of what I speak.

28. wookie says:

Gluten free isn’t as bad as it used to be but it’s still hard to get used to. My MIL is gluten free for the last 30 years and her reccomendation is to buy things like the hamburger rolls for yourself, and things like pizza crust, but make most of the rest.

http://www.baking911.com/pantry/subs_flour.htm list some of the flour subsitutions. I find my gluten free baking tends to be fairly crumbly so far, but I’m still learning.

29. Melanie says:

Ugh, that sucks so bad. I hope you manage to find some stuff that isn’t 8 million dollars per roll/cookie/whatever that is pretty tasty, or maybe some kick-ass recipes.

30. Kate says:

Long-time reader, first time commenter. I see someone has already mentioned Kinnikinnick…they make an awesome “white” bread. Also, my all-time favorite gluten free chocolate chip cookies are Nana’s No-Wheat. They are awesome…(I’m pretty sure they are gluten free…You can order them on amazon. She has a bunch of different types of cookies and breakfast bars. One last thing…if you eat cereal, Barbara’s Breakfast O’s are a great gluten-free alternative to cheerios — what’s even better is that they are fruit-sweetened.

Kate

31. Holli Smith says:

Wow, apparently I live in my own happy little world!
    I have never heard of celiac, and I didn’t know what gluten was until now.
    And apparently, I am really glad I’m not allergic to it. Because everything I eat was listed in these comments!

32. kate says:

Maybe you can try pretending you’re doing something sophisticated: eating a burger without a bun is what the French do. It’s not a vulgar hamburger, it’s a “steack-hachée”. We eat ours with mayonaise and super strong French mustard. I don’t even WANT a bun anymore. And hopefully you’ll feel better without the gluten in your life. Good luck.

33. Mrs. Schmitty says:

Mr. Schmitty has celiac. It’s very hard. We go out to dinner and he gets frustrated because he’s sick of explaining everything to the waiter/waitress. And the food still comes with croutons, bread, or gravy. He feels your pain.

34. Maddy says:

I recommend buying the expensive stuff (like the buns). Put them in the freezer and use if you don’t get around to making them from scratch. Maybe once you’ve adjusted, you can skip buying gluten-free things and make everything homemade, but let’s be realistic here. Give yourself a break!

Best of luck with your new diet. I have several friends who have to eat gluten-free and they have worked it out. I make them read all labels when they come to my house, so I won’t poison them.

35. Denise says:

Definitely get the test for celiac and if you are positive get the kids tested..oooh look as I am typing my son had just come up to me with a big old rash all over him!!! The son we went gluten free for, for a while! Gotta plow!

36. Mom101 says:

My best friend at 30 suddenly found herself in the same predicament (along with several other friends and family members). I only hope that some of it will pass, as it did for some people I know.

As for dressing - good thing that oil and a good balsamic has absolutely no gluten in it. I say start splurging a little on great ingredients and you might not miss that other crap at all.

37. dcrmom says:

Oh Chris. I’ve also had a lifetime of those ailments, and recently they’ve all come to a head with these dramatic attacks that include flushing and heart palpitations and fainting and hives. I am trying to figure out what foods I have to eliminate. I’ve been watching this saga of yours unfold with horror and curiosity. Gluten!? Holy crap!! Omg, I am soooo sorry!

38. Wicked Stepmom says:

I give you TONS of credit for even THINKING that you could make your own gluten free rolls. It’s very ambitious!

Seriously, I don’t know how you do it.

39. jm says:

Argh!!! If you come to BlogHer in Chicago, I will hunt down some gluten-free vodka ’specially for you.

40. Carola says:

Chris, I’ve never heard of someone developing allergies…I thought one was born with this problem, but obviously I’m wrong and I am very sorry you have to go through this, it sounds awful. I know I’m not really helping with this comment, but I’m really in shock about what is happening to you. You should talk to other doctors, maybe Antique Mommy is right and there is a way around not eating.

41. maria says:

You know - I get frustrated cooking for a family of 5 w/no food issues. I send out hugs, sympathy, acknowledgement that it’s hard to you - who have food issues and a family to please. Best of luck!!

I have a single friend w/food issues (more dairy and other things) who will occassionally offer to come over and cook - so I know it’s healthy for her and I don’t have to do it. I also have a list of recipes labeled “Natalie friendly” -

Hang in there.

42. josy says:

popcorn is gluten free. so are rice crispie squares, if you find marshmallows that don’t have glucose in them. jello is fine, as long as it’s glucose free. those little round rice crackers are gluten and dairy free, usually. and cheapish. um….
    may post more later.

43. Jessie says:

You can eat at my house! Little Boy is gluten free and we mostly are too. He has celiac disease and I think it’s just plain mean to eat in front of him. The hamburger rolls at the store? Yucky. Absolutely gross. Disgusting. SO not worth the money!

Outback Steakhouse has an entire gluten free menu, you just have to ask for it. Not sure about dairy and egg though. The food is out there, it’s just a pain to find.

Good luck!

44. Kendra says:

Just out of curiosity, when you found out all of this, does your entire family change their diets? Or just you? I think it would extremely hard either way. I mean if your children had to adhear to your diet would be hardish on them but if they didn’t if would be impossible for you.

I understand what gluten is but how do you tell which foods have it in them? I looked on a few of those lists of ingredients and found it in none of them. Of course all the products I looked at had wheat, soy and eggs in them. So is gluten attached to one of these?

Good Luck! You can do it!

45. Andrea Q says:

After reading everyone’s comments, I just wanted to add that it’s easier to make a list of the foods that you CAN eat rather than lamenting about all of the things you can’t. The glass is half-full thinking…There are thousands of foods other than dairy, gluten, shellfish and eggs.

The human body goes through hormone cycles about every seven years. As these cycles change, some people develop all sorts of weird allergies that they never had before. My mother became severely allergic to penicillin at age 40!

46. InterstellarLass says:

Just think of it as an adventure…good science project for your kids…research on ‘What can Mom eat?’. Make it a family affair and they’ll support you and your needs.

47. Darren McLikeshimself says:

So no bread, no shellfish, and no beer. My God, what else is there?!

48. Renae says:

Here’s a link for you to buy some mixes or to find local retailers who carry the products. This company makes cake, cookie, brownie mixes and frosting that are nut, wheat, egg, dairy free. HOpe this will help you out. I also think their products are quite tastey. http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com

49. Kathleen says:

Ooooh that sucks! I’m supposed to be gluten free too but it’s sooo hard. Only because I’m not anaphylactic do I cheat.

50. Flamenco Mom says:

We have a gluten and casein free home here too. Our daughter is autistic, and we found that she is extremely sensitive to gluten and casein products–try telling a kid that she can’t have pizza or mac and cheese! It was rough. It was challenging for the first year or so, until we got the hang of cooking in a new way. It has been almost 6 years now; for us the biggest challenge is restaurants, but even that has gotten easier. I’ve got lots of links for you to check out if you like.

51. Tonja says:

Chris,
    Sorry to hear about your newly developed allergies!
    Do you have the actual Celiac disease? If so, all the expensive food you have to purchase at the health food store is tax deductible. (if you didn’t already know)

52. Stacy says:

So did I miss something? When did you become gluten free? I have a sinking feeling that I am one of those millions of people that should be gluten free but deny it instead.
    Do not worry about becoming one of those people who read every label and has to ask every hostess questions about what she is serving. It really is not that bad…and the hamburger..I actually PERFER my burger out of the bun…I am a BIG bread fan, do not get me wrong but a burger on a bed of lettuce with onions and tomatoes is REALLY good…Good luck….

53. Ani says:

Geeking out to say…

Xanthan gum is a binder, since that is a large part of what gluten does in baked goods. So it makes your baked goods less crumbly.

But finding how much to put in is tricky and mostly a trial-and-error process.

Some of the low-carb recipes might work for you as well. Good luck.

I got to the part about no beer and started to weep.

My condolences.

55. cassie-b says:

I wonder if there are bread maker recipes for gluten-free bread. If so, it might be worth the effort. Breadmakers involve very little work. And the regular bread is good.

I think I’ll have a look around the internet.

56. cassie-b says:

I just took a very quick look after Googling “breadmaker gluten free bread” Here’s one link to a recipe. http://breadnet.net/abm-gluten-free.html

Oh, you poor thing. I would die if I couldn’t have bread.
    However, Peep has had stomach “issues” for 4 years now. We have taken him to several doctors who all have different opinions. Everything from he eats too much (no way) to he might have had a parasite that he needs to outgrow (what?) I’m thinking gluten free may be the way to go for a little while. Good luck to you (and us, too.)

De-lurking to add: I’ve been gluten-free since 2001. It is incredibly hard at first, but it does get easier. Health food stores are the celiac’s friend, and you can get almost anything GF online.

You do have to kind of experiment to see which GF products you like. I’ve heard many people sing the praises of various GF breads, but I never liked any of them until I got to Europe and tried Schar’s brand from Italy. But Pamela’s brownie mixes? Well worth the price.

I use corn tortillas for sandwiches (wraps, I guess). My staples at the health food store are breakfast cereals, GF pasta (I like corn pasta better than rice, but again, tastes vary), pancake mix, pizza shells, and crackers. [Important: someone said up above that rice krispie treats are gluten-free. They are NOT unless you buy GF version at the health-food store. Real Rice Krispies have barley malt in them, which has gluten. So does pretty much every other brand-name breakfast cereal.]

I’m sure you know this, but celiac disease is definitely genetic. If you’ve been confirmed as celiac through blood tests or endoscopy, be on the lookout for symptoms in your kids. And in your siblings and parents.

What was hardest for me, as you noted, was learning to speak up, at restaurants and other places where I’m not cooking. You WILL learn, though, which places have stuff you can eat and which ones have understanding staff. And you’ll go back to those, a lot. And friends want to take care of you, so don’t be shy about telling them how. Or offer to bring your own GF goodies.

As I said, it is hard at first. I find I don’t miss the food itself as much as the convenience of eating wherever and not worrying about it. At home, I eat well. (Probably too well. :) And my husband makes amazing fried chicken using just potato starch. Yummy!)

Hm. I hope some of my rambling helps you, if you get this far. Good luck. Believe me, if this works to eradicate your symptoms, it WILL be worth it.

59. Mary W says:

Chocolate is gluten free I hope?

I have the same symptoms and an egg allergy but not dairy - UGH UGH UGH

60. MyDuckies says:

something to try, other than sawdust!

61. Jenny says:

I have read your blog for ages and I am quite a fan, but have never felt compelled to comment…
    Someone in the early comments mentioned this website, but I simply must tell you again in case you overlooked it:
    Shauna (gluten free girl) is another blogger that entertains me daily. She is publishing a gluten free cookbook that I am looking forward to purchasing when it comes out. Check out the wealth of recipes, foods and informative links that she has on the left side of her blog.
    Here’s the particular page where she details how she learned to move forward:

62. Jurgen Nation says:

Holy shit, Chris. Sometimes I think we’re living the same lives. I’ve been putting off taking the plunge, but I’m going gluten free soon, too. Like I said, I’m putting it off because, as you mentioned, GLUTEN = EVERYTHING. But, as you know, my stomach issues prevail. Once again. UNCLE, stomach and intestines! I GET IT. YOU WANT ATTENTION.

Sigh. Anyway, at least I know who to talk to when I start.

Are we broken? Murr.

You can come to dinner at my house anytime. We are all gluten free and I hate seafood. We are not dairy free, but have cut way back because my youngest was for over a year.

I truly believe you will see a difference. As soon as I got to the paragraph where you began listing your “issues” I was nodding my head. We were all diagnosed with celiac disease within the last 6 months (well, all except my hubby who eats bread at work).

Xanthan Gum is a binder to replace gluten in baking. The formula I use for flour is 1 c rice flour, 2/3 c potato starch, 1/3 c tapioca starch plus 2 Tbs xanthan gum. I don’t use this often as I tend to just use cornstarch for cooking and Pamela’s gluten free baking mix for sweet goods (cup for cup in the recipe).

64. GaftGirl says:

There is glutten free beer - Ying Poo and a couple others. Otherwise potato vodka!

65. Rebekah says:

What? No more crack dip? I’m sorry!

66. KathyB says:

it seems as though you have gotten tons of ideas, but in case you would like to eat and not worry about getting sick you can go to Carrabba’s Italian Restaurant and they actually have a gluten free menu…and as allergies are becoming more common many restaurants and grocery stores have things set up to make it easier for you…not that you needed another opinion, but there is mine. ;p

67. Dy says:

OK, wow. Well, first of all, YAY to your commenters who mentioned restaurants that have gluten-free menus. Holy crap, I had no idea. I’ve spend the last four years having the most exasperating conversations with restaurant staff when asking what isn’t breaded and fried (we live in the South - it’s all breaded and fried). “No, we can’t have the breaded whozits because the breading has wheat… Yes, it does. Yes. It does. Flour IS wheat. *sigh*” So, yay for Outback and Carraba’s, and we are SO eating there soon just to let them know we appreciate that. Capitalism at work! Yay.

OK, that said, a few things that have been sanity/budget/gut savers for us: Asian stores. These people can do amazing things with rice. Seriously. Even down to ramen in a cup! And the rice flour is .88 a pound, vs. the $2.95 for a 1# box of rice flour from the crunchy market.

What helped me when I started cooking wf was not my first approach (standing in the cookie aisle at the market, crying that we would starve to death without teddy grahams), but the second one did work pretty well. I wrote out everything I’d served for the previous week or so (you could plan ahead, but… yeah, I don’t). Be specific. Then use a highlighter to mark the things that have items you need to avoid. Take that list and post it - and we’ll help you find alternatives to fill the gaps. It’s easier than trying to figure out a gf menu from a blank page.

Also, there are a few bloggers who don’t have gluten-free blogs, but who do post gluten-free entries that might interest you. (Thank God for categories!) One of my fave’s is KathyJo. She’s my co-conspirator on making gf cookbook authors twitch and whine by modifying their crappy recipes. ;-)

And here are some of ours (including a gf cookie recipe that, honest-to-God, tastes like a normal cookie). I try to include substitutions for other allergens in the recipes I post. I haven’t finished gathering all the posts in the archives and giving them labels yet, so this will grow soon. Hope some of this helps.

Dy

68. Jaime says:

My husband is allergic to gluten too. By and far the best restaurants to eat at with gluten allergies are Asian– but if you want a good brownie dessert– head over to the Outback. I know it’s the chain-restaurant blah blah but they are amazing with the gluten free menu.

Also Walmart brand foods are often gluten free– We love their enchilada sauce and use it in all sorts of things. But then again it’s best with cheese, which doesn’t work with being dairy free. . .

69. Jaime says:

Oh one more thing— talk to a dr. Maybe your allergy isn’t all that serious and they can just give you dapsome for it. My husband goes through phases– sometimes he takes the meds and eats the bread, and others we go gluten free. Just know though that the meds thin the blood. He’s ultraconcerned about it. I think– eh, we’re all gonna die at some point, at least he can live happily.

70. Paige says:

YOu wrap your hamburger in a big ol lettuce leaf. It’s a bit messy as the condiments tend to fall out, but still yummy.

71. dorothy says:

Hmm. I sprint to the restroom almost always about an hour and a half after I eat. I wonder if this is my problem. Although, after ten years of vegetarianism and five years of being a vegan, I’ll probably just live with it. I feel your pain!

72. The Lazy Organizer says:

My 7 year old daughter has been gluten free for 4 months and I’m still in shock, thinking I will soon wake up from this nightmare! No, it’s not really that bad but kinda it is. It has helped but she isn’t completely better so we’re still hopeful that she’ll also have to go off dairy, eggs, fish, peanuts, you name it. That will make life even more exciting! She is actually handling it better than I am. Can you tell I’m not handling it well?

73. fairly odd mother says:

I’m so sorry for all of this. Hope you find some great, edible recipes.

74. steph says:

chris–we’ve emailed a few times–
    anyhow, we’re a gluten free family, and have been since Sept.
    We just got back from a fabulous vacation and ate GF the whole time. you are more than welcome at *any* time to email me. I haven’t read through the comments but we have tried pretty much everything under the sun and I have quite a few GF recipes that are quite nice. We will be having a GF Easter.
    xoxo
    you can so do this.

75. Tia says:

I have just stumbled upon you blog through a link on someone elses, and I am so suprised at how many people there are with celiac disease. My Aunt and Uncle (cousins not brother and sister) both have ciliac disease. I never new it was so common. They have a large and wonderful support group in IL., where they live. My grandparents are becoming pros at cooking gluten free for them when the come to visit. They are in gluten free heaven when they are here. We even did gluten free pizzas last time. We used jimmy dean original sausage and hormel pepperoni, they were really good. There are actually quite a lot of name brand foods that are gluten free. If you would like some recipies just send me an e-mail and I will gather some for you. Good Luck, Tia

76. fidget says:

Late to the party but wanted to warn you - AVOID ENJOY LIFE FOODS- gluten free yes - tasty - oh hell no. Ive been gluten free for about a year now. I am continually amazed at how nice life is without walking around hunched over with searing stomach pain.

I think I am rambling, tossing around strange punctuation and obviously showing how sleep deprived i am

In any event, ive been a long time reader and dont now if Ive ever commented before.. hmm

77. Pamm says:

Pamela’s Pecan Shortbread cookies..the best whether gluten free or not. Yum.