For those of you who celebrate (little update below)

For those of you who celebrate (little update below)

April 6, 2007

Here is a cookie recipe just for you.

The Brutal Death of Our Savior Cookies

This recipe is only good for those who really want to drive home the meaning of Easter (or have a sense of humor).

Update: I am sorry that some of you found it not funny.

(Except for Kate. I don’t feel bad when people comment using a fake name for the sole purpose of stirring up trouble. It’s a small world, Teri. Can I call you Teri, since that is your name? All further comments from you will be deleted. )

I have long read the resurrection cookies recipe and have always thought they seemed a bit, uh uneccessarily cruel for children. So when I found this spoof on that recipe it cracked me up.
Here is a link to the original recipe, which aside from the sarcastic commentary is the same.

So if you think you are likely to be offended don’t go read it. Okay?

Comments

1. crazy8s says:

I feel like a sinner for laughing.

2. Kerry says:

I want to laugh but I fear there is a family out there right now who thinks this is a great teaching tool. Blah!

Okay, I’m laughing.

3. Tonja says:

How sad.

4. Chelle says:

Ha! Ha! Ha! (Please God, don’t smite me with a lightning bolt, amen) Ha!

I am so gonna forward this!!!! And link it on my blog!!!

6. Erin says:

I think it’s hilarious!

7. sarah says:

That’s fantastic!! I’m giving this to my very very Catholic mum for Easter. She loved the zombie quote as well.

8. nabbalicious says:

Ha! That’s awesome.

9. cce says:

LOL. That’s just perfect…I also surfed over to Betty’s gift shop and got a big kick out of the ‘This Christian Voter is Crazy for Torture’ bumper sticker. Good stuff!

10. julie says:

It is your fault. I laughed so hard I actually peed my pants. I hope you feel very very guilty.

11. Victoria says:

Oh that is wicked funny.

*trots off to share*

This was TOO funny. I sent it to my mom, who cracked up as well.

Also, I thought of you when I saw these:
    Gluten-Free Cheesecake
    Lots More Gluten-Free Food

13. Jackie says:

I agree, not funny.

14. Angela says:

I don’t think it’s funny either. Normally you totally crack me up. But not today.

15. CathyC says:

This isn’t funny at all. It’s actually offensive. However, it is your blog, and I have always enjoyed reading it, and I will continue to read it, BUT I just wanted to let you know, that this was really tasteless and not necessary.

16. Sarah says:

how very sad and disturbing.

But the Christian voters crazy for torture bumper sticker I may buy a stack of those.

17. CathyC says:

Thank you for the edit, Chris. You are one cool chick. Have a wonderful weekend! :)

18. Kelly says:

Ok, it gets a lot funnier when you see the “original” recipe. I’ve never seen that before. Kinda overkill, huh?
    I was really confused by Betty’s website at first. THEN I figured out the links to Coulter’s paraphernalia were ads-by-google. HA! To put in my 2cents on the bumper stickers….I prefer the one that says “The real Jesus forgives your Jesus for being a greedy republican warmonger.”

19. MyDuckies says:

I had an Aunt that would do recipes like that- EVERYTHING (especially the sarcastic commentary!!)

OMG Cracked me up… to know she wasn’t the only one out there who did :)

20. jm says:

As a Christian who grew up Catholic and is now Protestant with no fewer than three people from my wedding party who are pastors now and two in-laws who are pastors, I think that this is…

…HILARIOUS!

I also think that this is hilarious:

And I take my faith pretty seriously. I just don’t take the Christian-industrial complex seriously. People, no one is going to hell for laughing at a spoof of a COOKIE RECIPE!

21. Kelly says:

“People, no one is going to hell for laughing at a spoof of a COOKIE RECIPE!”

No, I’ve done much worse things than that, and I am sure the ‘oh-so-offended’ ones have as well.

Happy Easter to ALL!!!

22. fairly odd mother says:

Geesh, it is a cookie recipe! And pretty funny too! I even liked the original one b/c I found that to be completely over-the-top too.

23. Mary W says:

HAAA! I’m laughing and now, I am praying I won’t go to hell. But if I do I already read the DaVinci code and curdsed at a priest iunder my breath.

Hey Chris,
    Apparently “Kate” stopped by my site for a visit too. So I came here to see if find her link and post here. Apparently I just missed it. She didn’t have much to say on my site.

By the way I spent a good hour time at Mrs. Bowers site laughing my *** off. Thanks for the Link!!!

25. Liz in Australia says:

If I drank coffee any more, the commentary would have had me spraying over my laptop. That was hilarious! Thanks for the laugh, Chris.

Ha! Happy Easter! I hope the Bunny is good to you.

27. Carrie says:

I laughed out loud several times.
    Thanks for sharing!

28. Teri says:

Doesn’t look like I’m the only one who didn’t think it was funny . . . . .

29. Traci says:

I thought that was hilarious! My sister in law and I sat here and laughed until we cried. Thanks for the laugh of the day!

30. cole says:

I am an aetheist but if you believe in god don’t you think she has a sense of humor? Just look at the platypus or that asian fruit that smells like rotting flesh but people still eat it or golf.
    I would reccomend to Teri that she should wear the cross around her neck and not up her arse…it is much more attractive that way. And I don’t think you get any extra heaven points for being a sour puss…tsk, tsk for judging people. That is gods job, right?

31. cole says:

atheist….duh. Typing with one hand. I don’t believe in god AND I can’t spell.

sad, I know.

32. Velma says:

I’m with the “Too Damn Funny” crowd, and thanks for introducing me to Betty Bowers!

33. jodi says:

I thought it was hysterical. Happy Easter!

34. vanessa says:

Oh my Lord was that funny. And I am a Sunday school teacher. So there, non funny people!

35. Elizabeth says:

Another Sunday school teacher here who thinks it’s funny. I’ve come across the original recipe every year for the last several and I agree with you, Chris. It’s too much for kids. The original is inappropriate. The spoof is funny.

36. Kate says:

There’s more than one Kate out there and this one thinks it was Hi Larious. Thanks for introducing me to Betty! Enjoy your Zombie Day!

37. Rebekah says:

I call it offensive.

38. Jules says:

New to the site and now totally devoted. That cracked me up. That was excellent.

39. babette says:

Is nothing sacred? This is why I stick with Hot Cross Buns.

40. Samantha says:

I agree that this was in poor taste. I enjoy reading your blog and I respect that you have no organized religion, please respect those that do.

41. Mir says:

Dear Chris,

I enjoy reading your blog and respect that you feel differently than I do, but demand that you never find humor in something I don’t. Otherwise Jesus gets angry, and the Easter Bunny forgets the jellybeans.

Love,
    Mir

P.S. What’s it like to have so many readers that people feel entitled to get angry at you for linking to a parody? Is it fun? Because after reading through the comments, I’m thinking it might kind of suck. ;)

42. Melissa says:

HA! Funny. Funny, funny, funny. And so much tamer than I was expecting given the recipe name and backlash. Here I was expecting little cookies that involved a couple of crossed toothpicks and red food dye …..imagine my disappointment at finding only a recipe for hollow, tasteless, nut cookies served up with heaping pile of guilt.

And thanks for the link to a hilarious site.

43. Mom of All Seasons says:

Yup, another perfect reason to visit daily. That was fan-tas-tic.

44. Barbara says:

This is one of your very funniest posts! Thank you! Barbara who is forwarding it to 1 sibling who is a priest, 2 uncles, also priests, several preistly cousins, a couple of renagade sisters(the nun sort-1 of whom still wears a habit) and the rest of my huge RC family. I guarentee that all will laugh(some somewhat secretly). Yo9u just made my/our night. This is soooo much better than the original. You are to be congragulated on finding this. The original is somewhat frighteneing, but the parody id priceless.

45. Barbara says:

Now if only I had read and spell checked! : )

46. bluepaintred says:

you.rock

that is all

no it isnt

you really really really rock and WHERE do you find this stuff?

47. Jenny B from Australia says:

just hilarious!! best laugh I have had in a long time ( apart from everyday when I read your blog). Ignore all the naysayers and keep it up!

48. mary anne says:

What a lot of emotion over the old “forgotten cookie” recipe. I’ve made these for years (without the born again drama). The cookies are actually just meringues with nuts. Throw some butterscotch chips in and you have a nice butter pecan thing going on. We generally do them as part of our Christmas baking using up the left over egg whites. Probably not something you should be getting into with the allergy thing going on anyway Chris
    Happy Holidays
    I loved the zombie story. I sure miss those days!
    mak

49. Jessica says:

My daughter has not recovered from someone telling her that the red on a candy cane represents Jesus’s blood. She is 4 and does not know what represents means. I hope she is able to laugh about it someday or at least lick a candy cane.
    Thanks for the good laugh.

50. Laura K. says:

Can someone email me the original post? I love everything you write and it’s so hard to offend me!

51. kate says:

O M G!

People are freaks!

Personally I love it Chris and this Kate reads all the time and does not feel that she has the right to tell anyone what they should and should not write on THEIR OWN BLOGS!

I agree with the comments about the women with the crosses up their asses to pull them out and wear them around their neck and my goodness stop judging others!

Didn’t their mother’s ever tell them if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all!

52. Miss Valerie Jean says:

This made me laugh so hard that my husband had to come over and see what was so dang funny…and then he laughed! AND-we both love Jesus!!! A sense of humor is needed if you want to enjoy your life! Be like Chris, procrastinate and laugh while you are doing it!! love your blog!

53. Miss Valerie Jean says:

p.s. my fave part was breaking open the bottle of wine and eating all the cookies!!!

54. Joan says:

Ha, I wonder what “Donald” (past commentor), the pastoral counselor, thinks now?

55. blairzoo says:

Oh could someone please, please, please cut and paste it and send it to me? My stupid computer fire wall blocks that site. My 7 yo has been barfing/diarrea for 5 solid days, and now the 4 yo just started with it. I NEED some humor people!

56. Jo says:

Well my heathen ass obviously thought it was snort worthy. :)

According to most fundies (not the nice normal Christ followers just so you know) I’m going to “Hell” anyway.

At least this way I’m going laughing and now with some cookies. ;)

I definately have to link to this. Thanks for the laugh.

57. Teri says:

Not me Teri!! It wasn’t me that commented using a fake name, please don’t block me.

I would use my real name.

58. Chris says:

Funny, funny is all I’m gonna say. Am I going to hell yet?
    Oh, and get to the shopping and housecleaning. Ha Ha

59. Chris says:

Oh and I totally love your site and your humor. Happy Easter to you and the family. ;)

60. T in HD says:

I found it neither offensive nor particularly funny. But so what? I’m the last person who’d want you to be more careful about what you post. I’ve been catching up on your blog this evening after not being able to access it for a couple months (long, stupid computer story–let’s just say, I’ve finally switched browsers after a long period of stubborn resistance) and girl, have I missed my daily dose of Chris and Co. Thanks for the giggles.

P.S. I’m sorry about your allergy trials. What a misery. :-(

61. mish says:

LOVE IT!! Passing it along to my heathen friends, who will also love it :)

62. Shannon says:

I’m a devout Catholic (really!), and found this to be hilarious!

63. Sueb0b says:

You are obviously a heathen and damned to hell forever. But I don’t believe in hell, so I suppose you’re off the hook, at least in my mind.

64. Maddy says:

I found it wickedly funny buy said a hail Mary just in case.

**Happy Easter**

I’m not sure how anyone could think this was anything but a spoof, but I guess there are many people out there without a funny bone in them. I just can’t figure out why they even read your blog if they are without a sense of humor! I loved it and I am a proud christian to boot!

66. S says:

cookies much improved with addition of mini (vay vay important, must be MINI)chocolate chips. happy Easter.

67. Elizabeth says:

Dear Chris,

From now on, every thing you write must be sensitive to the beliefs, morals, values, and ethics of every single solitary person who coul d every possibly read your blog now and in the foreseeable future. Otherwise you are just being an insensitive meany! Geez, what you do think this is, your PERSONAL blog where you write your PERSONAL feelings and opinions? Sheesh!!

Love,
    Elizabeth

P.S. You know I’m joking, right?? :)

68. jm says:

Dear Kate–

Every time you scare a child with these really inappropriate “lessons” (candy cane striped with blood, beating pecans is like beating someone), the devil tortures a kitten. FYI.

Shame, fear and misinformation. Those things are not Christian education.

Sincerely,

jm

69. Emily says:

This was “Sacrelicious”!

70. Tania says:

Oh Chris, the ‘real’ recipe is far funnier than the spoof. Is that person SERIOUS? How is leaving a cookie in the oven overnight ’sad’ for a child and how can it be compared to the death of Jesus anyway? HELLO People you’re talking about food! Dear oh dear oh me….takes the fun out of fundamentalism. :0)

71. Angela says:

Hilarious! ’tis humor people…lighten up…says I ducking just in case! ;)

72. Carla says:

So - the original IS over the top as written. But I think just opening up the oven to a hollow cookie might be a good point for a young child. Beating the dough? Over the top.

Re: the original recipe. Eggs are for life? Sounds a little pagan to me, don’t you think?

The Betty Bowers one was funny :D

74. Cate says:

Self-admitted Christian, and I snorted with laughter knowing the original recipe.

Sheesh people. Don’t take life so seriously. The first time my very Southern Baptist mother saw TBN, she thought it was a Saturday Night Live skit. Sometimes TBN is funnier to me than SNL. But I’ve always been a little jaded.

75. miriam says:

Funny!

I’m new and happy to find you. All things considered, you didn’t get as many self-righteous humorless prigs as you might have, really. Luckily the members of my first church don’t believe in the internet…

76. Christine says:

I just found you this week and I’m CRAZY about you! I think I might even have a little blogger crush! ;)

As a Southern Baptist pastor’s wife (with her nose pierced - I know - I like to buck the norms), I’ll note that this is right up there with leaving some of the eggs empty during the egg hunt to represent the empty tomb. “You see, children, God loves you so much that He sent His son, Jesus, and because of that, you don’t get as much candy as other children. Now, let’s pray!”

Of course, I’ve been flamed for complimenting Rosie and hacking on Believers in the same post before. Isn’t if fun to get roasted on your own blog! Whoo! Hoo!

77. Melanie says:

That is my new absolute favorite website. Thank you.

78. Cum Filled Pussy says:

Cum Filled Pussy…

Sorry, it just sounds like a crazy idea for me :)…