Spring

Spring

April 13, 2007

Ice

Because nothing says Spring like an ice storm which will kill all the plants that had been tricked into blooming.

Yesterday we had hail, freezing rain, and wind. My driveway was covered with several inches of ice. If I had ice skates, and the desire to be pelted by hail and occasional falling tree limbs, I could have skated on my driveway.

Today it has warmed slightly. My thermometer says it is 36 degrees outside. Positively balmy, huh? But with the increased warmth and the increased wind, large chunks of ice are falling from the trees. Some small tree branches are coming down along with the ice.

6 yr old: “Do you think someone could be killed by the falling ice?”

Me: “Probably. It’s like frozen daggers falling from the sky.”

6 yr old: “Cooooool!!!”

Also, nothing says spring like baseball season.

In fact, nothing says spring to me like standing outside in frigid temperatures watching baseball.

Last night Rob came home with assorted baseball paraphernalia that the boys needed. Baseball socks, belts, batting gloves, regular glove, and cups. And I am not talking about the kind you drink from.

I picked up two packages of the cups and held them in front of my boobs.

“Do girls buy two of these?” I asked.

My eleven year old shook his head and rolled his eyes at me. Because at 11, he is soooo mature and I am not.

Comments

1. LeeAnn says:

Baseball = freezing with being bored to death.

Cups = who invented this piece of “it doesn’t feel good, why do I have to wear it” equipment.

Thank goodness my son has retired from the sport.

2. Holli Smith says:

OOOOHHHHHHH MOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM you didn’t?! How embarassing! GEEZ!
    Falling out of my chair laughing!!
    Sounds exactly like something I’d do… I crack myself up!
    Spring - what’s spring? All I know is snow and ice in Ohio.

3. Carolynn says:

It ’s a bit like we say “Rain ? What’s Rain???”

The last time I saw icicles like that it was on some Gums Trees in The Snowy Mountains in NSW during the Winter Ski Season.

Mind you it does look so very pretty you have to admit that even though you guys have had ENOUGH.

CJ

4. Crisanne says:

With a late winter and now a late spring, I’m wondering which season is going to get cheated short???

5. Wendy says:

First, do you clean the cups in the dishwasher?

Second, I think it is time for you to move down South where the weather changes only for a moment and the old houses are haunted plantations. Just think we never have to put away our winter clothes and we can wear shorts in October.

6. Ashley says:

I’m sorry. You know it’s bad when it is warmer in ALASKA! Sunny in the high 50’s. I just need to keep my fingers crossed that it will stay this way!

7. poppy fields says:

No baseball here, but dance recitals can be long and boring, too, especially when your child dances for three minutes in a 4 hour show. At least it’s inside, though.

8. Scout's Honor says:

I used to fence, so I know they DO make boobie cups for girls. I had two of them–duh! They were made of a stainless steel material and whenever I was thwacked just right (thwacked is a technical term :) ), there was this slight Buddhist gong sound, kinda, kinda, like, “pwooooooooong!” Also a valid target area in the Foil was the nether regions. for some crazzzy reason, the college boys I competed against rarely wore their cups, so I often had to punish them there, to put them in their place. Tsk! Tsk! Valid target area!

9. inthefastlane says:

So far our 1st baseball season has consisted of two canceled practices because of snow. We haven’t broken the news to our 7 year old about the cup yet. I am not sure if he will be excited or irritated about this new piece of apparel.

10. Gwen says:

I’m sure he was laughing on the inside.

11. Tal says:

Goodness, what a beautiful picture! Almost makes the ice worth it….but not really, I’m guessing.

12. Ashley says:

Ha Ha thats too cute.. I love the picture it turned out so pretty.

Your pictures are beautiful! Did you take a class or read a book or is it just innate artistic talent?

14. Mom101 says:

Immature mom with child you get to embarrass - just as nature intended it.

That is funny about the baseball. I was actually thinkink about your kids starting baseball yesterday. I was wondering how you would contain all your excitement :^)

16. Woman with Kids says:

I can clearly hear him, “Moooommmm. You’re not funny.”

Snicker.

17. Danielle says:

I’m so glad that #1 Son isn’t athletic. I’m scared of the cup.

18. Anne says:

yeah nothin says spring like a good ole ice storm

19. T in HD says:

Spring weather is crazy. Here in Germany (my part, anyway) we are having temperatures in the upper 70’s/lower 80’s. Just a few weeks ago, we had the freezing rain/snow/hail/thunder-and-lightening/sunshine weather thing going. Oh, did I mention that was all in one day? Cycling through every half hour or so? It was absolultely mad!

20. Annalise says:

The photo is beautiful, though!