Taking a break from building my ark

Taking a break from building my ark

April 16, 2007

to point you over to my other blog, where I have the first post up in a series about taking better photographs.

I feel sort of weird writing about taking photos since I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. And there certainly are many more people who take much better photos than I do. But I keep getting emails and comments asking me for some advice. People assuming I have some top of line camera, which I do not. While I would love an SLR, I haven’t been able to justify the purchase.

Today I wrote about framing your subjects in the photo and show examples of “bad” photos of kids and then examples of how to take the same photos in a better way. Don’t you hate when you read and they don’t show you examples! I do!

Today’s post is brought to you by the number 6 (inches of rain in my basement), the letter F (the first letter of the word I keep saying– flooding! You thought it was a different word, didn’t you?), and the word CLOSER (where you should stand when taking photos of your kids).

So go on over and read, Taking good photographs: Framing your subject.

And maybe later I will have an exciting post to share about rain, ground saturation, the joy of spring, and, if you are very lucky, plans for building your very own Ark. Is that as exciting to you as it is to me?

Comments

1. Rachel says:

If you build your ark, can you come rescue us? I think we’re on an island now. great.

2. Scout's Honor says:

sorry to hear about the rain and f-f-f-flooding. I definitely think that other “F” word applies.

3. Merry says:

You did immediately inspire me to get my camera out though and i’m very proud of the one that i got of my 2 year old :) Thanks :)

4. Woman with Kids says:

We have our very own lake in the back yard… it’s a magic lake, only comes out when we’re desperately waiting for spring.

5. fairly odd mother says:

I am a complete and f-ing (for the “F” word of the day!) idiot that I didn’t realize that you were the same person as the one on “In the Trenches”—I think I even started to read that blog before this one—today, in fact, I made the connection that both had “Chris’s” at the helm and I thought that was a funny coincidence. That and the numerous kids. Sigh—even though the only blonde on me comes from a box, it is amazing how much I can still feel ‘blonde’.

6. Anna says:

Thanks for the photo framing advice, I have long been envious of your photography ability. Glad to see I there are other clutterphobics abound.

We have the wind to help fill the sails of your ark. I keep waiting for a tree to crash through the roof or our power to go out. (It’s been blinking on and off, so annoying.)

It’s funny you posted the picture help today, my mother-in-law and I were just talking about how I never seem to have any good close-ups of the kids. I’ve been blaming that on the kids but it’s probably my lousy picture taking abilities.

Good luck with the basement!

8. Holli Smith says:

Okay, I’m heading over there right away… but wanted to say you’ve watched one to many episodes of Sesame Street! LOL!
    And yes, I thought you were going to say another word… I sure would be by now!
    Good luck with that ark!

9. cole says:

Why is it that I hate Al Gore and his global warming when it incoviences me? I am cold. Wet. And OVER the rain and cold. Done. Finished. Kaput.

It is blowing so hard here that I am afraid another 60 foot tree will fall down. One came down across the street from us and just nicked the porch roof of a neighbor but no major damage. So far.

grrrrrrrrr. Oh smite you damn spring.

10. Melanie says:

I hope that Ark thing comes soon, because we kind of need one here. I keep thinking “May flowers, May flowers” and it’s been okay so far, but if it rains all week like the weather folks say, then I don’t know if I’ll be able to keep up my fake enthusiasm.

11. Overwhelmed! says:

My husband is a professional photographer (he took the Ireland pictures that make up my blog design) but he hasn’t ever really given me lessons. I’ll go check out your other blog!

Thanks!

12. amy says:

Going to check out your other blog..I really enjoy this one though!

Amy’s Random THoughts is having a blogging contest May 1st and will be great fun! Prizes and more will be announced soon. Hope you will join in on the fun! The more who participate the better!

13. Naeva - Mom of 2 says:

Interesting advice and great photos!

:D

But my hubby does the photos for me, most of the times.

;D

14. cce says:

Yup, we’ve got six inches in the basement too! And a furnace that protests our lack of planning. As I type, it’s snowing. More proof that at least one celestial being hates me or has a warped sense of humor.

15. Renee says:

I just had to tell you that I can no longer read your blog at work…….I burst out laughing and could not stop. Just wanted to thank you and let you know that I needed it!!!!