Four years Old

Four years Old

April 21, 2007

My treasure turns four years old today.

The Cake

Not sure what upsets me more, the fact that she is growing up so fast or that she had to have a Barbie cake.

Comments

1. Patricia says:

When I was about 6 I HAD to have one of those cakes — then I was horrified to learn that she was naked under that frosting. I kept thinking the bakery should have provided clothing once the cake was eaten.

2. Deputy's Wife says:

Oh, I love those Barbie cakes… Never had one, thus my obsession of having one.

My birthday was yesterday. 37 years and still no Barbie cake…

3. daysgoby says:

Oh, I love that! ‘Your treasure’….

4. karen says:

Did you actually MAKE that cake? Because if you did, i am very impressed.

5. Anna says:

Your treasure is beautiful, and so is her cake! Very impressive…how did the boys like it? :-)

6. The Wooden Porch says:

That is awesome! I made a Barbie cake 2 months ago for my daughter, but ran out of icing on Barbie’s *ahem* bottom side. So that’s where I wrote “Happy 4th Birthday”.

7. angeline says:

I can’t believe it’s been a whole year since this!

8. Military Mommy says:

Oh, Happy Birthday sweet girl! :)

And the Barbie cake is beautiful.

Love Michelle

9. Liza says:

That’s a lovely Barbie cake…

10. Qalballah says:

Four?? Already??? *Stunned* Er, that year flew….

11. sarah says:

Good lord. Happy birthday sweet girl! I remember your video of her third birthday like it was yesterday!
    That reminds me that my little treasure turns four in eight weeks. She has asked for a Pony party. And if you did make that Barbie cake, I am in awe.

12. Hoosiermama says:

What a great cake! Did you make it? Happy Birthday to your little treasure :)

13. Sleeping Mommy says:

I used to get those all the time when I was a little girl, and every year I would lick all that frosting off her boobs–and the rest of her torso of course.

14. crazy8s says:

Happy Birthday to your beautiful little girl!

Gotta love that cake ;-)

15. Anne says:

aw Happy Birthday
    cute cake

Barbie cakes freaked me out as a kid because they look realyl creepy when you go to eat them… Bleh!

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl!!!

17. Jeana says:

DANG. Did you decorate that yourself? I tired one of those cakes once but it fell so we had to use a Strawberry Shortcake doll instead. Shorter legs, you know.

18. Lilly says:

Happy Birthday little one! I love the cake. My mom made me one of those every birthday using an 8″ tall kewpie doll. When the cake started to be served mom would always modestly cover the dolls very bare lower half and make a skirt out of the napkin when the doll was released from the cake. Enjoy your day!

19. Jess says:

Happy 4th birthday. The cake is beautiful. I hope she has a wonderful 4th birthday.

20. Carolynn says:

WOW what a lucky girl you are. You have a very clever Mummy.

I hope you gave Mum 4 years worth of big hugs and kisses.

CJ

21. jody2ms says:

Happy birthday sweet girl!

A Barbie cake is in my future as well. When you called her your treasure, I had to LOL because Bill and I were just talking and I told him that I will never win the lottery, because I already hit the jackpot with Mia. She is my lottery….my one in a million chance.

22. Ruth H says:

That is a beautiful cake, no wonder she wanted one. I have a confession. I have never seen a real Barbie cake and this is the first picture of one I have seen. My daughter had Barbies, she is 50! I don’t think Barbie cakes had been invented when she was young. So thanks, I enjoyed the picture.

Adorable! I love 4 year olds, I think it’s my favorite age. Happy Birthday to her!

24. stephanie says:

you just made my childhood dream come true! that barbie cake!!!!!!! a very lucky girl you have! and u did an amazing job too!

25. Brandi says:

That birthday cake reminds me of the toilet paper cozies that my Gumma used to make. Happy birthday to your gorgeous girl!

26. Carola says:

Happy B’day to your daughter, I hope this year she doesn┬┤t get upset when everyone sings “Happy Birthday”.
    Vere nice Barby cake..I want one too. ;)

27. emilyhope says:

Love the Barbie cake. Happy Birthday to your daughter!

28. ~Tammy~ says:

Happy birthday! Great cake.
    As another reader mentioned above- I can hardly beileve it has been a year since she was “fwee”!

I am baking my 17 year old DS his cake today. He wanted strawberry cake. I said it takes a manly teen to have pink cake! He is going to help me dip strawberries in chocolate for the top of it.

29. CathyC says:

That cake is AWESOME!!!! I want that cake for my next birthday (34). What?

30. nabbalicious says:

Happy Birthday! That cake is so cute, and so is she!

31. katiebod says:

So cute… I have a 5 year old son…so no Barbie cakes in my future…sigh…. :-)

But, my grandmother crocheted me a purse when I was your daughter’s age. It looked just like a little knit purse but, you could turn it inside out and it was a doll with the purse as her skirt. The Barbie cake reminded me of that…

32. t in hd says:

Herzlichen Gl├╝ckwunsch zum Geburtstag kleine Prinzessin!

Wow, time flies. She was just a wee babe when you started your blog, Chris. I’ve really enjoyed watching her grow from that chubby cherub into a fashion-conscious little princess. Aren’t girls fun? But then, so are boys. I couldn’t really pick which I’d rather have, so I’m glad I don’t have to!

Oh, and one last thought: Years ago on my eldest daughter’s birthday, my friend brought a bouquet of flowers to the birthday party–for me! She said everyone gives the “Geburtstagskind” (birthday child) presents, but the mother who birthed (or raised/is raising) that child also deserves recognition on that special day as it is also her “accomplishment”. So Chris, on this one of seven very special days in your year, I hope you have a lovely day. Here is your virtual bouquet of flowers. I know they aren’t real but hey, you don’t have to suffer hay fever from them, clean up their falling petals, try to keep the kids out of them all. day. long. and they’ll last all year long!

33. Allanna says:

Happy birthday to your sweet girl.

She’s darling. I love reading about her (and your boys, too, of course). I still snicker about her play-doh creation for the “contest.”

And, dang, Chris. You’re so talented! I’ve got lots of work to even attempt to emulate your mad mothering skillz.

34. Michelle says:

Gosh! I can remember her birthday video from last year! It was hilarious. If I remember right, she didn’t want anyone to sing to her. The boys loved it. Anyway, happy birthday to your dd!

Happy Birthday, Sweet Girl.
    I love how you refer to her as your “treasure.”
    (crying) I want a little giiirrrllll! (crying)

Happy birthday sweet girl!! Man, I’m jealous of that cake :)

37. Holly Smith says:

What a beautiful little girl that treasure of yours is!

Did you decorate the cake? Mine would look like that too…ha ha…if I could only have patience!

Have a wonderful week!
    Holly

38. Rachel says:

Happy Birthday 4 year old!

I’m scrolling quickly past the picture so my turning-four won’t get any ideas. :)

I hope it was a wonderful day!

39. Amy says:

Happy birthday!!

40. Kathy says:

Oh my, you brought back memories for me! My daughter just turned thirteen. But when she was four I made her one of those cakes. Barbie hits her stride with four year olds. Making that thing was hilarious. I loved shoving Barbie into the cake…how funny! Thanks for sharing.

Kathy

41. cole says:

I made one for my daughter for her 3rd birthday..it was a princess party. I got to ask 20 kids + parents, who wants to eat the princess?

ha.

42. Kristie says:

My grandma used to make me those cakes when I was younger. Every year from the time I was five, until probably ten or so. I loved those cakes.

She passed away several years ago and when I opened your blog today and saw that photo, I thought of her and have smiled so much because of that. Thank you for that!

And even more importantly, happy birthday to Miss Four!

43. Amy says:

Oh my goodness! My daughter will be 4 in June and has asked for a Cinderella cake. Now to find the doll cake pan. What’s funny is when my oldest was 4 she wanted a Cinderella cake also. So this will be the second one I have to make. Should have kept the mold, lol.

Happy Birthday!

44. Tonja says:

Cute! I got a cake just like that for my 30th b-day. Of course I refused to lick the doll off. If I remember correctly, she didn’t have any legs either.

45. maria says:

My little girl turns 3 next month and it’s so bittersweet - she’s so darned adorable I hate to see each milestone pass. She also has brothers - although “only” two. Thanks for sharing - I think it helps me appreciate my little ones even more.

Happy birthday to you mommy!

Please tell me you bought that cake. I would hate to have to disown you. ;-)

Happy Birthday to your beautiful treasure!

47. cristen says:

I’m so glad someone linked back to her 3rd birthday–I had not seen that and it is hilarious! And yes–did you buy that cake or do you have some fancy decorating tools or what?! She looks so excited (not).

48. Meg says:

Mmm-hmmm! Did you learn how not to do that the wrong way from a certain person named me? ;)

49. Annalise says:

I did a Barbie cake for one of Soph’s birthdays … is that prong that she has instead of legs not the scariest thing you ever saw????

50. Crisanne says:

Great cake! We’ve had a couple of Barbie cakes-once just as Barbie then as a hula girl for a Luau theme. I imagine your little girl really is your treasure with all those boys around!

51. Josh says: