Quote of the day

Quote of the day

April 24, 2007

Having his vision tested

“Wow. I had no idea I couldn’t see all that.”

It’s a whole new world. A sharper, clearer, more colorful world.

Comments

1. Qalballah says:

How long has he thought the world was blurred??

2. Tonya says:

when my little sister was 12, she got glasses for the first time. The first thing she said (to my mom, of all people) was, “wow, you’re fatter than I thought you were.” She’s lucky to still be alive :)

3. Cheryl M. says:

I have never felt more guilt as a mother than the day I brought my oldest son to the eye doctor and the only letter he could read on the wall chart was the 4 inch “E”……ouch, ouch, ouch….

4. Angela says:

I’ll never forget watching MC put her glasses on for the first time. I’ve never seen her eyes get quite that big before. It changed her world.

5. Amy says:

I was in the seventh grade when I realized, thanks to my brand new glasses, that one could see the individual leaves in a tree. Until then, it was just one big green blob at the top!

6. Military Mommy says:

Funny how much emotion this sparks in people, including me.

I got my first glasses in 6th grade. I will never forget going home and looking up at the big trees in our backyard - totally in shock - at the individual, beautiful changing fall leaves. I had always seen trees as a big “clump” of color.

Your picture brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy for him.

Love, Michelle

7. bella says:

Wow! So glad that he’s seeing so much more now!

8. maria says:

My parents both tell stories about “seeing” birds for the first time when they got their glasses. I guess that’s why I started seeing an optomotrist when I was really young and got my first pair of glasses at 7. Now that I’m the mother of 3 I shudder at the thought of my kids having glasses and taking care of them. Good luck!

9. jodi says:

I got my first pair of glasses in my late 30’s. I looked at my husband and said “Everything looks like it is in 3D”. “That’s scary” he replied.

10. ben says:

Just wait till he gets the hearing aid!

(ducks and runs)

11. Jen says:

My 4 yr old just got her first pair of glasses, and she too, was amazed at how she could see the trees and leaves all the way up. I remember having that same exact response when I got my first pair at age 8.

12. lifeasamama says:

it’s legendary in our family that when i got my first glasses on my sixth birthday, that the next time i went to church, i said “mom, i didn’t know there were statues in our church!”

13. Katie W says:

To cheryl,
    don’t worry. My Mum felt equal horror when I revealed I could only see the largest letter on the eye chart to. I think my vision deteriorated rapidly aged about 12, as I’d had an eye test aged 10 and sailed through it. Interestingly my school work never suffered, i found wayd of coping, and had just never realised. It was only when I started sitting 1 m from the TV and squinting that it was decided I needed an eye test!

14. Cheryl M. says:

Katie W, Thank you. :) We laugh about it now, but I don’t dare let him leave home (he’s now 18) without a pair of eyeglasses in his top pocket…and contacts in his eyes! :) He was 10 when this guilt-inducing episode occurred.

15. Elizabeth says:

One of my co-workers did not want glasses. They did eye tests in school and he would memorize what the kids ahead of him said and repeat it. The teachers said what they were writing on the board while they wrote it and he copied it down. He finally could not cheat when he wanted a driver’s license, so he had his eyes checked and was 20/200. Yeeps!

My DD was 2.5 and farsighted when she got her glasses at the mall. Her comment was that she didn’t know there were lines on the floor (from the tile). And she was short - they were Right There!

I never realized the world was actually dimensional until I got my glasses the first time. I thought everything was suppose to be blurry and flat. I drove my brother crazy on the way saying everything was in 3d!!

17. jody2ms says:

LOL!

Wait until he asks you to clean his glasses (filthy “how can you see out of these?” lenses), and then he says the same thing.

18. jane says:

I’ll never forget the first time I got glasses. I came out and looked at the hills and said, “oh, wow, there are trees up there?” LoL. This is one 4-eyed geek who would loves her glasses ;)

19. N. says:

We just found out a couple of months ago that our 4 year old’s eyes are 20/750! To add to the mommy guilt, when her teacher recommended I get her eyes checked, I scoffed. Of course she can see, she just likes standing right in front of the TV and putting the book an inch from her face! I really thought it was just some weird habit and almost didn’t take her, until some saner friends pointed out that just getting it checked wouldn’t hurt.

She had surprisingly little to say when she first got her glasses, but insists on wearing them every waking moment (even in the bath) and when I took them off to clean them the other day, she said, “Is this how I used to see all the time? I was blind!”

20. Danielle says:

My oldest, who is five, has had glasses for the last few months. He went from not being able to see the letters to reading words in just a few short weeks.

I still love to put on my glasses and look at my children’s faces. I don’t often wear my glasses at home because of little hands pulling them off of my face but I forget how many small details are in a face.

It’s humbling.

21. Ashley says:

The trees. Me too!! I got glasses at age 14 and couldn’t believe that you could see every single leaf on a tree!

22. Ruth H says:

At my advanced age, I still remember my first view of the world through glasses. It was rainy and already dark outside. The lights glittering in the rain were so beautiful and like everyone else in these comments I was shocked that individual leaves and blades of grass could be seen. I lived in west Texas, it was 1944, and I had never seen an oil derrick. They were all over the place, I just didn’t see them. Didn’t see any rattlesnakes either. Guess God looks out for the blind. My 10 year old grand daughter just got her first pair and is equally pleased at the beauty of the world. The funny thing is, she can always spot a fossil, I guess it’s a focus thing.

23. Victoria says:

When my oldest son got his first pair of glasses he spent the rest of the day lifting them up, putting them down, lifting them up, putting them down. He was astounded at how different everything looked to him now that he could see clearly. It was the cutest thing ever. And the banana splits we ate (his for being a good boy at the eye dr. and me to make me feel better over the horrible guilt I felt) were delish!

24. t in hd says:

I got my first pair of glasses at age 10. I couldn’t understand why the doctor thought I needed glasses. I recall putting them on and seeing a large sign on the wall across the hospital hallway (eye clinic was in the hospital–military). It had letters! And I could actually read them! More years later than I care to count and I can no longer converse with someone if I don’t have my glasses on because I can’t see their face or mouth. I guess I read people as much as hear them. But I can’t see anything more than a foot or so from my face. And I really don’t want anyone that close to my face, LOL!

25. Ashley says:

LOL… I guess if thats the only way you ever saw you would never know. I know with my hearing I never knew that there was a problem until the teacher suggested i get my ears checked becuase i wasn’t paying attention in class. We they took me in they found out I was 50% death in my right ear. After that i was moved up to the front of the class and the doctors gave me some other tips. I was a strait ‘A’ student ever since.

26. Jodi@OC says:

When we took my daughter in to get her new glasses last year she kept pointing at sky and saying, “Look at all the clouds! There is one there, and there, and there!” They must have all blurred together. LOL

27. tthib says:

Yeah, it was an amazing moment! Just think of it as a blessing that so many other people don’t ever get to experience. All us lucky nearsighted people! (And I really mean that! not snark!)

28. Ruth H says:

tthib, am I right that you got glasses right after your grandfather took you bowling and you couldn’t see the end of the lane?

29. design mom says:

Oh my! I remember that feeling. I especially noticed the details of leaves and bricks. I didn’t get glasses until high school, when I was tested and found legally blind. 20/800.

30. Maddy says:

LOL I said the same thing after laser eye surgery, I know just how he feels.