28 months old

28 months old

April 25, 2007

Last year he perfected his swing:

This year, it is his pitching:

Isn’t there any college that wants a 28 month old? Military school? Gypsies?

I would write a loving update about him and this 28th month of life. But I am too busy just trying to keep up with him.

Making sure he doesn’t exercise his newly discovered Houdini-like ability of unlocking deadbolts and escaping from the confines of the house.

Washing the bathroom floor and walls with the toilet brush dunked in the unflushed toilet.

Replacing the thousand books his tossed out of the bookcase.

Cleaning up the bag of pretzels he dumped into the tupperware drawer.

Pondering if you can still call them toys if you have them all stored above your children’s reach, or have they become decorations.

Stupid decorations. Unless one can artfully arrange castle blocks, board books with the covers torn off, matchbox cars, and three large tubs of Tinkertoys.

Cleaning up the laundry that he “helpfully” removed from the dryer, while it was still wet and tossed around the laundry room, mixing it up with the dirty clothes and muddy shoes.

All of the above in the past 15 minutes.

It really is a good thing he is so cute. Just when I am on the verge of stapling him to the floor so he will sit still for a minute, he flashes me those dimples and I melt.

Comments

1. Fold My Laundry Please says:

I love the little foot kick at the end of his pitch! So professional! Not to mention adorable!

2. Jen3 @ amazing trips says:

I noticed that your header now reads “this is your brain on children” Whatever happened to “where the insurgents wear diapers”?

Is this little insurgent now dunking the toilet brush in his OWN unflushed toilet?!?

If so - he can join our band of gypsies. Maybe he could teach my coterie of toddlers how to use the commode.

3. Ani says:

LOL…his long-lost twin lives at our house.

And likes to pitch golf balls straight at his loving Daddy’s groin.

So, at least I get spared THAT bit of love.

:-)

4. Lori says:

Chris, I can feel your pain! When my son was about the same age and I was at least 11 months pregnant with my daughter I finally could take no more! I looped a dog leash around his waist, put him in his little chair in front of Sesame Street and clipped the end of the leash to the floor vent. I had an entire 10 minutes of peace before my mother stopped by, clutched her pearls and took my son for the weekend to give me a break. My son is 20 now and still tells the story of the day I chained him up like a dog.
    The point is, if MY son can live to see 20, so can Miles.
    Hang in there!

5. Lilly says:

I too love that little professional kick at the end of his pitch. He’s pretty darned adorable!

I see you are also having adventures in bathrooms. My kids somehow got water all over the floor yesterday. They tell me it was from the sink….but the toilet was open as well……

7. Sarah says:

Your stories always make me feel that I too can survive the raising of little boys!!
    I read your blog and shake my head in agreement while laughing at the realization that i can so totally relate! Thanks for letting mom’s like me know that there are other kids out there that are whirlwinds from morning ’till night.
    -ohh & I love your other site too, great parenting advice!

8. Gretchen says:

Oh my gosh, he is so cute! Levi has a great arm, too. He has better aim than any of his brothers. I love love love the form, though. Clearly he has attended many of his older brother’s games, huh? LOL It can’t be a proper pitch without the footwork!

As for the messes, I have given up trying to clean up the walls for now. The older boys never had such access to the crayons and pencils, but they are bad at putting them up, so Levi has artwork everywhere. Even Mr. Clean won’t be able to handle it, we’ll be buying some paint. And btdt with the toilet too. I caught him trying to drink the water from the toilet by dunking the toothbrushing cup in the water. EWWWW. And this one is in the fridge already. In our old house we had a standard freezer-above fridge, but now we have a side-by-side, and I guess it’s easier to open those because he is always in it. This kid is wearing me out! Oh geez, and I have one more to go! falls over in a dead faint

9. Maliavale says:

OH MY GOD. The way he kicks his leg is KILLING ME. Oh, that is so great. I am snorting with laughter.

10. Christine says:

Last night, I put my little one into her seat and insisted that she buckle up and stay there, just 15 minutes into her sister’s softball practice. She was really ticked off. I, however, got to read an entire magazine article while their brother climbed up and down off the front of the van. I eventually set her free … eventually.

Ya’ do whatcha’ gotta’ do!

11. Joy H says:

He makes me melt too!

12. Rachel says:

oh, so cute.

(when they aren’t the antics of mine)

love the videos!

13. Crisanne says:

I’m right there with the sneaking out the door. We had to put those child proof knobs on the back door and his bedroom door-the other night he “greeted” me in bed at 1:20 am and his hands were cold and wet…he can’t turn on the sinks yet so it was either water from the toilet or outside in the rain!

14. Playdate Susan says:

I’m so happy you reposted the batting video. That’s one of my favorite Miles Moments ever.

And you know I love me some Miles.

15. bgirl says:

How is possible to be that athletically inclined at such a young age? My kids would have kicked the tee over and put the ball in their mouths.

16. inthefastlane says:

Miles sounds so much like my 20 month old. Too bad they don’t live closer, they could start the pre-school all star league.

17. Sara says:

The cuteness is killing me. He is so yummy.

18. maria says:

oh my gosh you made me laugh! I never thought of stapling them to the floor - what a great idea;) Thanks for the smile.

What a cutie pie!
    The toddler that lives in my house is making me crazy, too. He is into EVERYTHING! Last week he took a big ol’ bite of his brother’s deodorant. That he got out of his brother’s drawer. In his brother’s bedroom where the door was closed tightly. Ahhhhh!

20. qtpies7 says:

I totally loved the “where the insurgents wear diapers” LOL Thats what got me coming to your blog!
    I’ve been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Oh the things a little one can do in a few minutes. I hardly dare to fess up lest I get a call from CPS one day………. lol

21. Eve says:

I think they really are cute for a reason. My 19 month old had made me question my ability to raise anymore toddlers more than once. He’s been SO HARD to handle. And right when I’m at the end of my rope he does something adorable. And I decide not to throw him out the window.

22. Danielle says:

He is that cute for a reason.

I can only shake my head at the other stuff. I am right there with you. The twins are just a few weeks older and into just as much. He could be their triplet. He can be the athletic one.

23. Melanie says:

I love that pitcher stance, and the way he throws his leg, too, like a real baseball player. Too cute! Though I think I would have stapled him to the floor by now if I were you, cuteness or not. My husband recommends hamster balls so you can let them roam without harming themselves or anything else, but unfortunately they’re so hard to find in sizes bigger than hamster.

24. Her Bad Mother says:

Does that stapling to the floor thing really work? Cuz I’d like to try that.

He is so darling, Chris, and I *love* your accent! (I never “pictured” you with one, for some reason.)

26. Chris says:

Susan,

I have an accent????

27. Cate says:

Yep, you do, but it was only really obvious on the word “ball.”

I’ll never forget having to revoice a commercial for your part of the world because I said the word “Autumn” the way most of the country says it. It cracked me up to do the entire commercial in my very Pacific Northwestern accent except for the word “Autumn” where I sounded straight out of New York City.

I don’t even know how to write Autumn phonetically in Northeastern U.S. dialect.

As for your future major leaguer player, so cute! What a great big bro for sticking the ball back up there over and over and over and over….

28. Ashley says:

Aww.. He is such a cutie.

Chris,
    Compared to this Californian, you do. (But then maybe ~I~ have an accent to you!) :D

30. Lena says:

OMG! The guilt I just felt while reading this. LOL

I had a flashback …I was a young mother with a 2 year old ,his nickname was “master of disaster” and I was 9 months pregnant.

We went in the grocery store one day and I saw this baby about his age in a full body cast. He was laying in the grocery cart ,casted from the chest down to both legs.

Of course ,my heart broke for the poor kid….but the evil thought that actually went through my head was………..
    “boy , I bet HIS mom is really having a nice break from all the chaos.”

My bad!!!

31. Mommymommy says:

I have one of those too! They are so much fun ( when they are sleeping)!

32. Gillian says:

It is true. The cute, it saves them. My grandson came so close to being given to the nuns, with purely religious intentions, of course, but lordy that boy is pretty.