on the ‘roids

on the ‘roids

April 26, 2007

We have had some odd virus going through our house. The first symptom is a sore throat. (It isn’t strep btw, just a sore throat). Followed by congestion and a cough. Everyone who has had it is done feeling sick within a couple of days.

My daughter now has the sore throat. And feels compelled to tell me loudly over and over again.

We were driving in the car and she screamed for 45 minutes straight. Screamed. I tried to explain to her several times that screaming was not going to make her throat feel better. But logical reasoning with a 4 yr old is pointless. It is hard to be compassionate towards someone who is shrilly screaming in a confined space with you.

I was this close to driving to the Emergency room. Not because I thought it was a medical emergency, but I thought that surely any doctor who heard her unrelenting screaming would give me some xanax. Or knock her unconscious. Either one would have worked for me.

My 6 yr old somehow ended up with an ear infection. The first one of his life. And he went on the penicillin, also for the first time in his life. After taking the antibiotic for a couple days he broke out into hives.

Picture this all over his body:

My poor itchy son

And you have some idea of what he looked like this morning, even after taking the maximum dose of Benadryl. And it just kept getting worse.

So off to the doctor we went for a pack of steroids. As a bonus we got a diagnosis of penicillin allergy! Serious! Don’t take it again! Get a little warning bracelet for him or tattoo NO PENICILLIN on his forehead, whichever. I am leaning towards the tattoo.

I told him we expect big things out of him tomorrow at his first Little League game. He can be the Barry Bonds of the elementary school set.

Comments

1. shannon says:

dont be surprised if someone else ends up w/ the penicillin allergy - 3 out of 6 here. the biggest bummer is all the good 1x a day drugs are penicillin. now hen my kids get ear infections they get to take meds 4 times a day . wheeee.

Oh boy, just what you wanted to hear, huh? And, if it makes you feel better, my almost 4 year old feels the need to do the same thing if ANYTHING is wrong with her. Be it a sore throat, paper cut, runny nose or irritating brother. These preschool age girls are a rare breed, I tell ya.

3. Rachel says:

It sounds a lot like Fifth Disease - which just went through our house. *bleh*

My husband was lucky enough to catch it, too.

Zyrtec helped my kids when Benadryl didn’t finish off the hives. ugh, poor kid! And hydrocortizone cream topically was recommended by our pharmacist.

4. Elizabeth says:

That rash looks eerily familiar at our house. I thought I had the measles when I got it. DD#2 got it as a baby and when she was about 5 they said oh, let’s try it again, it was probably just a baby thing. HAHAHA the rash, the diarhhea, the big blistering hives, the ER visit. DS had the same baby reaction and has not taken it since, believe me. There is some once-a-day thing they still can take, though.

5. Lilly says:

Cool, steroids for little league! …I took penicillin for the first time at age 40 and broke out in hives all over my body. We were on vacation and I still went to the beach and wore a bathing suit. People were keeping their distance… I’ve never worn a bracelet but your post reminds me that maybe I should get one.

6. Becca says:

Whenever I’m in the hospital I get a neon bracelet proclaiming my penicillin allergy.

Good luck with the pred burst - that stuff makes me crazy.

7. The Wooden Porch says:

OMGosh! That arm looks horrible. I hope it clears up soon. Wow, that on top of an ear ache. Poor kid.

I hope everyone at your house feels better soon. I have the sore throat, cough, congestion thing, too. “hack, hack”

Ooh, I’ve had that rash, even as an adult! I seem to be allergic to most antibiotics. I feel for him!!!

10. Lorraine says:

It must be a girl thing…. Mine is 4 also, and has hissy fits lasting upwards of 45 minutes at decibels that causes garage doors to fly open all over the neighborhood. Pass the xanax. *S* (Reality: I’m just glad to hear I’m not the only one with a diva for a 4 year old….how bad is that?)

11. Liz in Australia says:

Oh dear…your family is just not having much luck with allergies.

My family had something very similar. At least, the 9yo and DH got the full symptoms, and my DH went on to develop bronchitis on top of it. And we’re only just coming into the full cold and flu season down here - looks like we’re in for some Fun With Diseases over the winter.

12. julie says:

My husband and I are both veterans of that same penicillan reaction. Both during the height of summer and pool season, although years before we ever met. We’re pretty sure our kids will end up with it too, yet somehow the docs don’t seem concerned and keep on prescribing it whenever she needs something. Makes me nuts.

Here I was hoping this meant you’d get a relief from at least some of the baseball season. I hope everyone’s feelign better (or at least more quiet) soon.

13. Chris (too) says:

I took various forms of penicillin throughout my childhood, but then in college I got sinus infection and broke out in those same hives from head to foot after taking amoxicillin. Around the same time I started reacting to Tylonol, which was never a big deal until I was pregnant and got a massive headache.

And Daring Young Mom at daringyoungmom.com has a hilarious post on lack of sympthy for screaming kiddos titled “The Analytics of Sympathy”. I think you’d love it.

14. Christine says:

Yup - I’m also in the “could die if you take it” category. Had the hives thing, too. I’m now allergic to sulfa, as well.

It was really fun being a grown adult, at work in my pretty business suit, wondering why my midsection was soooooo uncomfortable (but the UTI was actually better!). Finally (?) people began to stare and finally ask, “Are you embarassed or hot or something?”

“Oh no. But now that I see it, I should probably head home … ya know, before I die or something.”

15. kate says:

I have the same allergy! So scary!

Hope your daughter stops screaming soon!

16. fidget says:

oye geeze

we just assume our kids are allergic. I break out in a rash like the boy’s and my husband had the fun of a “heart episode” courtesy of the big P.

also, I miss Xanax it was my best friend on uber screamy days

Try a three year old on 28 days of Dex (Prednisone X10) - no Barry Bonds more like a mini screaming hormonal pregnant woman. Ugh! Good luck with those steriods.

18. Daisy says:

Oh, those allergies! My son is allergic to penicillin, my daughter to sulfa drugs, and I’m allergic to, gulp, both.

19. Danielle says:

That totally sucks. Hives suck. Everything sucks. (I have my period.) The fact that you still have to go to little league really sucks.

I sure hope that everyone is feeling better soon.

20. Eve says:

When my son was three he broke out in hives covering his entire body! Freaked me out. He looked like a pink leopard. We never did figure out what it was from…

21. Her Bad Mother says:

Oh, my god, ACK. That so sucks.

Hope everyone is feeling better soonest!

22. Kate says:

I feel for you. My daughter got hives after her 2nd time taking PCN -the day after her 2nd bday. Weee! I had to beg for the steroid to get her some relief. Husband and I are both allergic too. Doesn’t bode well for our other two does it? I hope you get a break from the drama!

23. Deputy's Wife says:

First off, I have to tell you that I could not access either of your sites from work or home today. I was going into serious withdrawl. I thought you went dark on us. Gave it all up. (Crazy things run through a person’s head when things they are addicted to aren’t readily available.) I was set to put out an APB on you.

Fortunately, at 10:25 you are now available. Honestly, I think I was starting to go beserk.

Sorry about the sickness. We are fighting diarrhea here, with the three year old that we just started to potty train. Things can never go smoothly can it?

24. Audrey says:

I just recently (at 46 years old!)had the same reaction to penicillin. It was so incredibly itchy! I had been on the antibiotics for almost a week before I broke out so I was very amazed when my doctor told me it was an allergic reaction to the penicillin!

I hope everyone in your house is healthy soon.

25. maria says:

Wow - poor kid and poor you! And I feel for you w/the baseball too. #1 son has converted to soccer - a much more interesting sport. #2 plays t-ball (which is better b/c he has a heart defect - but it’s b-o-r-i-n-g) and the parents just about mutinied when they played a third inning the other night.

Hope the weather and kids’ health clears up.

26. Jordana says:

After an ear infection at about age 7 or so and a follow-up full body rash, I got a diagnosis of a penicillin allergy. I suppose it stinks, but so far I’ve never gotten sick with anything they couldn’t find a drug to treat it with.

I hope health returns soon.

27. Novaks8 says:

“He can be the Barry Bonds of the elementary school set.”

OMG that is so funnY!

You need to write a book. Seriously!

28. Fold My Laundry Please says:

I have the very same reaction to penicillin. I have to tell every doctor I see that I’m allergic to it and I get a fashionable big red sign posted on the door of any hospital room I have to stay in and bright orange stickers on all of my medical records. They said the next step in reactions is seizures, so stay away from it! Now I take Cephalexin (sp?) instead.

29. Paige says:

I have broken out just like that from Bactrim. Allergies are the worst! Good luck!

30. Mom-azing Mom says:

Wow, that is a heck of a rash. I love your blog! Your stories are real and that is awesome! Just thought I would drop in and say hello! Keep up the good work!

31. Karen says:

My oldest son has the same allergy and his arms and legs looked just like your son’s. I didn’t think of taking a picture– rats!

32. paxil says:

in Germany and then in the United States

33. shirley says:

i just happened upon your blog via the parenting website blogs. i am in complete awe of you being a mother of 7 (did i count right?)

anyway, looking at the picture of your son reminded me of when we found out mila was allergic to the -cillin antibiotics. she had an ear infection when she was 6 months old i think and the doctor prescribed amoxicillin. she passed out from being exhausted and when she woke up from her nap she was covered in red splotches / dots all over her little body. i finally took her to the ER the next day cause it bothered me so much and i knew something was out of whack. they gave her a dose of benadryl and told me if the red splotches went away, she is 99.9999% positively allergic to amoxicillin. the next day she was better.