and today I am back! like magic!

and today I am back! like magic!

April 27, 2007

Yes, my site was down all day yesterday. The cause server overload.

I sent my host an email about the problem, and on the email form there are different categories to check on the level of urgency of your email.

I called Susan and asked her if I could check the EMERGENCY! category because what would be more of an emergency than having your website not working. They really need some guidelines on that email form.

Ultimately I checked one category down, URGENT!. We thought that EMERGENCY! should be saved for a true emergency, like if your url was redirected to one of those sites that you get spam from. The ones that make me feel like I am living a very sheltered life because I don’t even understand what they are talking about half of the time.

Luckily (?) I was out all day at doctor’s appointments, shopping at Old Navy which was eerily reminiscent of last year and has caused me to declare in a huff, “That’s it not shopping at this stupid store anymore!” Until the next big sale that is. I’ll admit it, I am Old Navy’s bitch.

Then baseball practice in the cold windy weather. With children who were dressed like it was 90 degrees outside. Because they refused to believe me when I told them that it was going to get cold in the evening. My requests to “Get your jackets!” were met with, “I’m not cold.”

And so when they complained at the field that they were surely going to DIE, I turned into one of those mothers who rudely says to her children,with barely a cursory glance towards them, “Maybe next time you’ll listen to me.”

And maybe next time they will. Though much more likely I will just grab their jackets myself to save save my own ears from the whining.

Comments

1. Jeanne says:

DON’T scare me like that again. Not sure what to do without my “daily dose.”

2. Personal Chef to 2 says:

I think I say that phrase at least once a day but only b/c my 5 year old thinks he knows it all.

I kept getting a “forbidden” error yesterday, like I wasn’t allowed to access your site. And I panicked slightly, okay, alot. Glad the problem is fixed!

3. Tuesday says:

My kids are four and already I have said “next time you should, listen, didn’t I tell you” more then I care to admit.

It is scary.

4. mom8k says:

got my Old Navy bag in the mail the other day and thought of you!!

5. Darren McLikeshimself says:

Somehow I don’t see my site ever crashing because of a server overload. Sigh…

6. Chris says:

Darren,

I don’t even know what that means.

7. Chookooloonks says:

“I admit it it, I am Old Navy’s bitch.”

Chris, if that sentence alone doesn’t convince you that if you were to actually write a book it would become an instant best-seller, I don’t know what will.

8. Woman with Kids says:

Eh. Next time they listen, or you bring ear muffs for yourself. Then just point to the ear muffs and repeat, “I can’t hear you.”

9. cce says:

My kids feel that by ignoring the mercury and refusing to wear jackets on rainy mornings when it’s 40 degrees they will somehow affect climate change. Short sleeves and shorts no matter b/c it’s Spring God Dammit. We have the outerwear argument about 12 times a day.

10. Military Mommy says:

I love me some old navy too. I’ve tried to break the habit, but can’t - or won’t I guess.

Michelle

11. Darren McLikeshimself says:

Oh, I just mean I’ll never have that kind of traffic.

I love the days that you get to use the “well, next time you should listen to me” line. You get the added excitement of the possibility that CPS will be called on you regarding your freezing children.

Thank goodnes your back. I was having withdrawl symptoms!!!!

I’m glad you’re back! I almost croaked when you were down.
    I can’t quit Old Navy either. Love ‘em!

15. Playdate Susan says:

I think what I REALLY said was an emergency is when your site is redirected to P*RN. And then I told you all about key parties . . .

I am full of useful information.

My 4 year old wore a winter coat with sandals today. I hate this kind of weather (hot one day, snowing the next) because the kids are so rotten when it comes to wearing the right clothes.

17. cole says:

You know we have that debate every single day, rain or shine, snow or sun. Our son, who is 6 and weighs about 37 lbs and is bone skinny, refuses–or rather tries to refuse to wear warm clothes when it is cold OR pervsely to dress lightly when it is hot. Children are crazy. Literally and so I have taken to using a new favorite phrase when something “debatable” comes up, “I AM THE BOSS APPLESAUCE.” It is just silly enough to make them laugh but I say it with murder in my eyes so they are too scared to not listen.

Keep um guessin. My personal strategy.

18. Shannon - PHAT Mommy says:

Instead of saying, “Maybe you’ll listen to me next time,” try this one: “Do you think that maybe Mommy was right?” I LOVE getting this one in on my son because it FORCES him to acknowledge that I am wise in spite of his view that I am an idiot.

19. Rachel says:

so glad I was too busy to check websites yesterday, I’d have had a heart attack! ;)

Glad you’re OK and not permanently damaged from the Old Navy & Baseball combination.

20. Anna says:

My 4yo says “Look, it’s sunny and HOT!” Um, yeah, it’s 42, but ok. Yesterday, I didn’t make her wear her coat, I made her take it with her. She, of course, wrapped it around her body upside down to keep herself warm without losing face.

I’m going to use that applesauce line.

And no, you’re not allowed to let your site go down. My mind was flooded with questions. Why? When will it be back? Have I lost Chris forever? Glad it’s fixed!

21. Melanie says:

Old Navy is stupid, yet so seductively cheap. Every time I go to buy something “on sale” and then find that, no, only the items to the left of that item and slightly below which are greenish in color and size small are actually on sale, that item I would like is actually 50% more than marked because of its yellowish shade of green and the way the collar is folded; I vow to stop shopping there and then get lured back in by the clearance where tanktops are only $1 and by golly who can resist that?

Looking back at that last sentence, I can see why no one reads my blog. The runon there hurts even me.