Her First Real Haircut

Her First Real Haircut

May 1, 2007

My daughter’s hair has turned into a scraggly mop. She hates having it brushed. She hates wearing “pretties” to hold her hair back out of her face. Unless she puts them in herself, which is not exactly an attractive look either. I suppose I could just get over myself and let her do what she wants with her hair, since it is her hair.

But I am a control freak.

before

This is what her hair usually looks like on any given day. The front section is at least 6 inches shorter than the back. And it looks like she has a permanent case of bed head. Or like she is growing out a mullet. Which I swear she has never had.

It might not be a bad look if you were a medieval scullery maid.

before

But on a 21st century toddler? Not so attractive.

So this morning I could take no more and made an appointment at the hairdresser. I called it the beauty parlor thinking it would make the place more enticing for her. Turns out I need not have worried. She had no problem getting into it.

At the hairdresser

And wished I would wash her hair every night in a special sink.

At the hairdresser

I wasn’t so sure about the bangs. Thinking about all the growing them out horror stories, including my own. Which is why I still have bangs 30 years later. But then I thought about not having to look at hair in her face, or seeing it dragged into her mouth while she eats, and trying to get the dried food out of the front while she thrashes about like I am Edward Scissorhands. Bangs seemed like the logical choice.

haircut with bangs

Suddenly she looks like a big kid with real hair.

Comments

1. Alissa says:

ah yes. i know all about scraggly haired toddler girls. my dd just got a startlingly similar haircut. if only i didn’t mind the hair-eating… gag.

2. Chookooloonks says:

Umm… actually?

She looks like YOU. She’s a little YOU. Look at that sweet face!

It’s YOU.

3. kate says:

I love it she looks great!

Sounds like she will be going to the hairdresser anytime you let her!

4. maggie says:

Beautiful. I struggle with the toddler hair all the time. Maybe it’s time for a real haircut. Actually, a haircut - she’s never had one.

5. liz says:

She is gorgeous. Your kids have the most beautiful eyes.

6. Anna says:

I am DIGGING her boots…I wish mine were pink…I’d wear them to the beauty parlor too! ;-)

7. Jeana says:

Oh my word…with the zebra stripes? and the pink boots? and the crossed legs? I love the new cut, but I have to say if any one could make the scraggled look work, it’s her.

8. deanna says:

Isn’t it funny how that first major haircut changes them from toddler to little kid in an instant. Bittersweet.

9. Jamie says:

Those pink cowboy boots and the zebra stripe smock are priceless!

She looks like a big girl now. So cute. :)

10. Heth says:

I’ve been hoping for a photo of those pink boots in action and you did not disappoint. She is adorable.

11. Grim Reality Girl says:

The pink boots ROCK! The haircut is cute. I’ve got the same hair struggle — but my daughter is 11! Ah well — at least you have learned she can rock the pink boots and zebra stripes on top of a cute haircut!

12. Liz in Australia says:

So adorable. I just WISH my 2yo would grow some hair - she doesn’t even have enough for pigtails and it’s incredibly fine. I’d die of happiness if I had a daughter with hair long enough to brush and prettify, who didn’t scream like a banshee any time I came near it with a brush (I gave up on the 9yo years ago). But I’m not even getting the chance to find out this one’s hairbrush-tolerance yet. Dang.

13. Megan says:

Hi Chris,
    I found your blog recently & I love reading about your family! You have such cute kids.

Oh, those boots make my day! I love them! She’s beautiful, as always. We’ve been having the great Bang debate over here, too. Not sure what to do yet!

15. Deputy's Wife says:

The zebra smock, pink boots, and crossed legs has to be THE best picture I have seen in a very long time.

I had “crazy” hair when I was little. I chewed on it, twirled it, left food in it, and never brushed it. My mother got fed up when I was five and had it all cut off. VERY short. And kept it that way for several long years.

I had short hair, was flat chested, and my name is Chris. Can we say identity crisis? I got sick of hearing people comment on what a cute little boy my parents had.

I am not angry anymore. Really, I am not.

Great post.

16. The Pumkin Patch says:

She’s gorgeous!!! Love the new ‘do!!

17. Crisanne says:

It’s amazing how much a simple hair cut can age them. My daughter was 4 when she had her first haircut for many of the same reasons as your little cutie. We haven’t ventured into the world of bangs yet. Her hair is too thin and fine-like a little baby.

18. meritt says:

Dang… it’s amazing how you can just clone your kids. Even the female ones. ;)

She’s just darling! So “fresh” looking and sweet.

20. qtpies7 says:

She looks so cute with her new ‘do! I bet she’s just bouncing around with that high you get when you KNOW you look good!

I nominated you for a thinking award, you can find the information on my blog if you want to play along.

21. Karly says:

My daughter has that mullet look going on as well! I hate it! But, her hair isn’t quite long enough for a real hair cut yet.

But your baby? She looks gorgeous with her hair!

22. daysgoby says:

Oh! She’s BEAUTIFUL!

23. Stacy says:

That cut looks so cute on her! My daughter and I both love getting our hair washed in the special sink too!

24. Joy H says:

Precious! And the pink boots are the perfect touch.

25. sarah says:

My daughter has the exact same problem with her hair, it’s constanty knotted and messy and I’ve been trying to get up the courage to go get her hair cut properly - and now looking at the result from your daughter, I’ve found that courage. She looks beautiful - hopefully my little girl will look just as pretty with a short ‘do.

26. Denise says:

OH My, besides being a grown up girl she is an awful lot like my Michelle. Somewhere in a box I have a photo of Michelle, about the same age, in the same position at the beauty shop sink… with boots, very hip silver boots that she wore constantly.

Deja Vu! They grow so damn fast.

27. Maine Mom says:

Beautiful!

28. Maddy says:

She is a natural beauty parlour girl and her hair looks wonderful too!

29. Kate says:

looks great!

30. Ashley says:

Awww.. Very cute!!

31. Kerry says:

Oh, what a sweet cut.

I am having the worst time of it with the hair of my foster girls. They do not want bangs but I can’t stand the hair in face, hair in dinner, ect. Ugh.

Your kids are too damn cute. Stop it already!

32. Suzanne (JoyfulChaos) says:

my 4 year old son just said, “i like that one (the after photo) her looks pretty there.”

She is adorable!

34. Elizabeth says:

She looks gorgeous! In my experience every single girl in the world grows our her bangs (if Mom lets her) in middle school, when she already looks gawky, and then they all look gorgeous again before they graduate (either because they are grown out or they decide to keep them).

Now - how long does “toddler” last? I read a news story about a “toddler” dialing 911 when his mother had a gallbladder attack, and was picturing a 2-year-old, then read the article and the child was 4. So, I’m wondering what y’all think it means. I’m pretty basic - infant until walking, toddler until walking/running/jumping well, then preschooler until school age. Now I’m thinking that’s really just me.

35. JanB says:

She looks great!

36. wookie says:

I’m a big fan of bangs until you’re old enough to keep your hair out of your food while you eat. Maple syrup, strawberry jam, peanut butter, oatmeal, it’s no fun having to wash a kids hair after breakfast every morning :-P

She is gorgeous! And your son’s pictures from yesterday are amazing as well. He has such a clear, direct gaze… he must be very engaging in person.

37. Holli Smith says:

I want a pair of those boots!
    She’s a toddler going on 16!!! You’ve started something now… now she REALLY knows what it’s like to be a princess!

38. Jess says:

That is just beautiful. What a lovely haircut.

39. jody2ms says:

Ahhh! Just beautiful!

40. Meg says:

ARRRGGHHHH! Cuteness is KILLING me, particularly the picture of her little cowboy boots crossed while she is being all beautified…

41. Tal says:

Her personality just pops out of every photo you take of her, although I’m highly interested in finding out what kind of incentive was required to dress her up for the milk-miad photo - how cute is that?!

Great cut. She looks very grown-up, and she looks like she knows it too!

42. ctmommie says:

she looks so pretty! I have the same battle with my 3.5 year old…doesnt want it up, doesnt like anything to hold it back…but she gets it in her mouth and her eyes…uhhhh Abby

43. Courtney says:

One word: PRECIOUS!

44. Kini says:

She is beautiful!

45. Brandi says:

She looks so grown up in that picture with the crossed legs! What an adorable haircut! My husband has been nagging me to get our 2-year-old daughter’s hair cut, but I refuse. She was bald as a baby, and it’s finally long enough to put up in pigtails. AND she lets me! She has these great little baby curls that I know won’t grow back once we cut her hair, but she has such a mullet. The sides are barely to her ears, but the back is past her shoulders. At least the curls keep it from looking too mullet-y.

46. Darren McLikeshimself says:

Much better. And I LOVE the cowgirl boots.

47. Carola says:

She looks great! although I loved the long hair too.

48. Cheryl M. says:

Very cute little girly!

49. t in hd says:

Those pink cowboy boots propped up in the salon chair while she had her hair washed, LOL, priceless! The haircut looks great on her.

I love short hair on little girls. I cut my eldest dd’s hair in a pixie cut when she was little and have done it again just recently (she’s nearly 10) and it looks great. I can’t seem to bring myself to do it for my youngest dd though and she really needs it. I did it once and it looked adorable but she’s got this head full of curls you see… I just can’t cut those darned ringlets again! And no, she won’t let me fix it so that it looks nice. Meet my daughter–the mop.

50. Erin says:

Cute haircut!!

51. Kelly says:

ADORABLE! Love the new ‘do. Looks like the water is dripping down her neck in the 4th picture, I know that look (and feeling) well.

She looks so tiny in that chair. Like everyone else, I love the crossed legs with pink boots. But the part that really gets me is her little hand holding onto the arm of the chair. Sweetness.

52. Brigitte says:

Too many comments to read right now, so I know this HAS to have been said (probably multiple times), but I can’t resist: I LOVE the getting a shampoo with the boots on picture! My daughter’s hair is definitely more like the “before” shot . .

53. Kasey says:

so cute! I hope she LOVES it.
    P.S. I LOVE the pink cowgirl boots.

54. Rachel says:

Where did you get the pink cowboy boots? My daughter needs some of those!

55. Nancy says:

I love the beauty shop shot too. The crossed legs are the perfect punctuation for the photo!

I’ve had good results using SunSilk’s 24/7 cream on my girls’ mops.

56. Victoria says:

She’s cute as a button!

My granddaughter has a terminal case of bedhead. Her hair is very fine and full of wave. Wouldn’t be bad if the wave wasn’t just on the tips! Her hair is always going this way and that. For Easter I bought her a pink t-shirt with a rabbit on it that is all fluffy and across the bottom it says: Having A Bad Hare Day…that’s my Ky!

57. stephanie says:

she is so beautiful. you better lock her up NOW

58. Cheryl M. says:

Chris - I had to come back and comment again…I always felt while homeschooling my kids and looking at them all day…their appearance had better look fairly neat. Once while sitting across the school table from my daughter (she was about 7 at the time) I had ENOUGH! of her looks….bangs hanging in her eyes and two very loose teeth both hanging sideways by a thread of tissue. I marched her into the bathroom - trimmed those bangs and pulled both the loose teeth! She was so much easier to look at! HA!

59. Ruth H says:

Just asking… where was her cell phone? That’s all she lacked. I’ve never see a grown up girl look so comfy in shampoo mode. And the boots…. oh my.

60. Jordana says:

She’s beautiful.

I wanted not to do bangs with my girls, but the chewed hair and hair constantly in their eyes made me change my mind.

Precious!
    I love her pink boots!

62. Chris (too) says:

The pink boots and cross-legged pose are too much! Crack me up!

63. Stephanie says:

How adorable! Love the pink boots on her crossed legs. She is stylin’. My daughter’s hair looks much like the before pictures. You just inspired me to take her to the salon.

64. Anne says:

Very cute, and yeah shorter hair will make em look older

65. Becca says:

Oh, she’s darling!!!

66. Carrie says:

So Cute. Love the new Do!

67. Tammie says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE the haircut!! The girl is going to breaking hearts before you know it (if she’s not already). :)
    And the boots… SASSY!!!
    She looks adorable, good move kiddo!! And I’m sure she was just telling the stylist how to do everything “right”. :)
    tam

68. Danielle says:

My Little Girl has the same boots. She just got them last week and will not go anywhere without them. It was torture to hear her scream when we inforced the no shoes inside the house rule. For some reason she believed that boots would not count.

It always kills me a little when they get their hair cut and grow up in a minute.

69. jen says:

Lovin’ those boots - perfect thing for such an outing!

70. Kristen says:

I’m thinking Mir could solve her hair problems if she went to your stylist. Probably too long a drive though, huh?

71. Melissa says:

She looks like she was born to talk shop with the ladies at the beauty parlor. Too damn cute!

72. elizabeth says:

I gasped when seeing her picture (scrolling down finally to see her lovely face and cut.)
    Such a lovely telling of her first cut - it is positively fitting for her. My first professional cut was HORRIBLE - I came out looking like an old lady, with a BUN!! You ARE a good GOOD mama! :-)

73. Mommymommy says:

love the cowboy boots! adorable!

74. bombaygirl says:

She looks like you. How cute!

75. bombaygirl says:

And those boots…man, she rocks!

76. lena says:

Even though I’m at the “waiting for someone to get married and give me a grandchild” stage…this post brought back the old familiar ache to have a daughter .

Too adorable ! I want the boots , the cape AND a daughter!

(mother of 3 sons)

77. Jamie says:

I think I need some pink boots! When we gave my oldest daughter her first haircut at 6, she was like this. I had my husband take her. She got 10 inches cut off (and donated it) and looked like such a big kid! We need to do my 2 yo, but her hair is so thin and grows so slowly, I’m afraid to. Loved the scullery maid picture.

78. nabbalicious says:

Oh, she is the cutest thing ever! Love that picture of her hair getting washed. I think I make the same face.

79. Mary W says:

LOVE the boots! Love the hair!

80. Genevieve says:

Awwww!! SOOO cute and stylin’! I just gave my toddler a haircut recently too — it’s amazing how much more grown up they look! (I tried not to cry TOO much…)

81. qalballah says:

No, What *actually* happened is that you took your daughter to an orphanage and came back with this kid, didn’t you.

Kid swapping is de rigeur.

82. J. Fergie says:

adorable! and her cowgirl boots ROCK.

83. M says:

…hair looks great but the pink cowboy boots are PRICELESS!

84. Sock Girl says:

LOVE the haircut… and the boots. Just adorable!

85. Rose says:

Love the new do! My Princess has those same exact boots— and she does get many compliments on them whenever we go out! She also has the same problem with her hair, but daddy wants it to stay long. I would love to try a cute style like your dd’s has on her.

You have beautiful children and I enjoy your blog every day. Thanks for making my morning coffee so much more enjoyable :-)

86. Rebecca says:

Very cute cut!

My husband, sister, mom and I were out together last weekend and we ended up at a shoe store. He tolerated it for about two minutes — until he found a pair of sandals to replace the ones he had forgotten to bring on our trip — and then he was just *done.* This made me think your comments regarding the differences between your daughter and your sons when it comes to shopping, and how surprised you were that, without any coaching on your part, your daughter just *got* how enjoyable shopping can be. (I also told them about your daughter lining up her shoes and having you come look at them, and then pointing out to you that she didn’t have any tennis shoes…they could appreciate that, while my husband, who now owns four pairs of shoes, could not.) So if your ears were burning on Sunday afternoon and none of your kids had recently stuck anything in them, it was because I was in a shoe shop in Key Largo talking about you guys! :)

87. Andy says:

Beautiful cut! That picture with her pink coyboy boots is just priceless!