her teeth are now sparkling, like her shoes

her teeth are now sparkling, like her shoes

May 15, 2007

first visit to the dentist

Her very first visit to the dentist. Of course I brought my camera along to fully document the event.

demonstrating her flossing technique

Showing off her stellar flossing technique.

which toothbrush should she pick...

Here she faced the challenge of deciding which toothbrush to chose. There were the four Disney princesses, a Power Ranger, and two Toy Story people. She had gone to the appointment saying she wanted a Power Ranger toothbrush. Though she has no idea who the Power Rangers are. Perhaps she thought they were more pink and sparkling, with better fashion sense. Who knows. It was a tough decision. But in the end, the lure of the Little Mermaid was too much for her to ignore.

After she had her teeth cleaned, and my 11 yr old son had his teeth cleaned (which I did not photograph because 11 yr olds are embarrassed enough already), we left to go to the bike store, where my son picked out a mountain bike and bought it with his own money that he had saved. He was so proud of himself and absolutely thrilled with his bike.

While we were waiting for the bike to be assembled, he suddenly had a coughing jag. He has had a cough for a couple weeks, occasionally having spells where he coughs and can’t stop. So since we were in the Big Town, we popped over to the Emergency Room, hoping the doctor there would hear his coughing and have some answers. Or some medicine. Yes, I became one of those people that I always bitch about who use the emergency room instead of going to their regular doctor.

When we checked in the nurse doing triage noticed my camera and asked, “Were you out taking photos when this coughing spell happened?”

“Oh no,” I replied,”We were just at the dentist.”

It wasn’t until a while later that I realized how odd that sounded.

chest xray...FUN

Caution Radiation Area!

He had a chest xray, which came back normal. Had everything listened to. Finally the doctor said he suspects it is allergy related. Told me to give him some Claritin D for a few days. If it doesn’t get better to go see my own doctor. Emphasis on my own doctor.

waiting for the x ray results

And they made sure to touch everything in the room. So I am sure we will have some sort of really fun virus coming soon. I can hardly wait.

Comments

1. Eve says:

“They” no matter where I went, could not diagnose my sons coughing spells and chalked it up to allergies. The Claritin didn’t work for us. They even gave him an asthma inhailer. Good luck with that.

2. Melanie says:

Yay! Hospital germs! Always fun. Our dentist does this cool thing where he takes a Polaroid every time my son goes (every 6 months) for the “no cavities club”. Then a few weeks later, they mail him a card with the Polaroid and some stickers. I love our dentist.

3. julie says:

Hey, you gave that triage nurse something to ponder for the rest of of her shift. Good deed if you ask me.

4. Novaks8 says:

haha
    My kids LOVE our dentist.

It’s the craziest thing.

Hopefully the claritin will work.

Allergies suck.

5. Beverly says:

Hospital germs…they’re the best, aren’t they?

And have I mentioned how much I love your little girl’s haircut? It’s beautiful!

6. rachel says:

yay for the first dentist visit! We’ve got ours in mid-June. So glad the cough is just a cough. And FYI the pertussis test is infinitely worse than a chest x-ray. :P says she whose kid had a pertussis exposure AND a 4 month long cough.

Meanwhile, the constant picture-taking is now being passed on to my kids - my 9 yr old took a ton of pics of the broken cars at the dead-car-lot.

7. Meg says:

Wow, she is a dental pro! I’m going to the dentist tomorrow and I’ll probably cry like the little baby I am…

8. Nancy says:

Someone above mentioned asthma . . . make sure you ask your doctor. Coughing is often an early symptom.

Gotta love those impromptu stops at the ER! BTDT a bunch of times now.

I would definitely follow up with the regular dr. My son & I have bad allergies but have never had a cough accompany any of it. Not saying that it can’t happen, but… you know.

10. Diane says:

Love the added photos! And yes, Power Rangers do lack a certain pizzazz. I agree.

11. Denise says:

My little guy has athsma and he coughs on high allergy days.. so do I .. so the Claritin works for us.
    And big huge congrats on him buying his own bike!! My 11 year old can’t hang on to $2!!

12. Kathleen says:

I LOVE the bangs!

13. trailin' says:

I was so excited when I bought my first expensive thing with my own money. I think it was a Gameboy or something along those lines.

14. Mary W says:

Clariotin hypes em up and then knocks em out here.

She looks like she’s an old pro at this dentist thing! Not a worry on her face!

Oh the fun of hospital germs!

16. creative-type dad says:

Wow! Looks like she did pretty well at the Dentist. I’m an adult (so they tell me) and I don’t even do well at the Dentist..

17. qtpies7 says:

I never get offered the cool toothbrushes, just boring colored ones.

18. Holly Smith says:

I’ve had the same cough…sometimes it’s so hard I get sick. I think it is the remnants of bronchitis in my case. I pray your son gets to feeling better fast!
    Go Little Mermaid toothbrushes!!
    Holly

19. Danielle says:

I love the answer about the pictures and being at the dentist. I have to answer question like that all of the time as well. Duh!! Who just takes pictures anymore? I take pictures of everything. I have almost perfected the art of taking pictures while I’m driving. I just can’t figure out a way to go back and check if the picture came out OK with out potentially crashing the car. I’m working on that.

20. marengooutback says:

Your daughter is the cutest thing ever! Glad it was a successful trip to the dentist. My kids love to go, figure that out.

21. Karen says:

That triage nurse totally has a blog. It was a test.

22. Brigitte says:

We’ve got a cough going around like that here, too. The neighbor took her kids to the doctor, but he claims it’s just the excessive pollen this year. I’m not sure whether to believe that, as usually that would make my eustachian tubes close up and put me in excruciating pain, and it hasn’t yet.

On another note, yay for your daughter doing so well at the dentist! It gives me hope that when ours has her first appt., MAYBE she won’t scream, cry and run away!

23. Annette says:

Don’t laugh, but whooping cough is making a come-back. I guess there are some new strains from asia that pay no heed to immunizations. I had it last year and the ENT specialist who finally diagnosed it said it was becoming more common–they were calling it the ‘99-day-cough.’ That’s how long it lasted for me. Low grade fever, fatigue, and I coughed until I thought my brains would come out my nose. I hope for your son’s sake that it IS just allergies!
    Dentally, I was just there yesterday with my 9 yo DD and she has a cavity :( But she doesn’t care–she got the water-squirter ring from the treasure box! And it works. On all 3 siblings.