Weekends are for…

Weekends are for…

May 15, 2007

home improvement projects.

The latest one that we have completed (notice I say completed and not started, or started and abandoned half way through, or ignored for the past 6 months in hopes it will complete itself) is the screened sunporch floor. We had this screened in porch added to the back of our house three years ago.

Having a contractor in my house is something I hope to never ever repeat again. Turns out I am not as comfortable as playing the bitch role as one might think. It got really old, really quickly and as a result there are several things that we are not happy with, some minor, some pretty major, all because I just didn’t feel like fighting any more. Did I mention I was pregnant while it was all going on?

Two weeks ago Rob sanded the porch floor and then I sealed it. Finally.

Before:

sunporch floor before

After:

sunporch after

And I find myself thinking, like I always do, what took us so long?

Here is my desk where I work, in theory, while my children frolic nicely in the backyard, in theory.

Sunporch after

The reality is not quite so harmonious. And I bet my neighbors often wish we would all just go back inside the house.

Comments

1. Mrs. Schmitty says:

I’m jealous! I love your porch!! Beautiful job you did!

2. CathyC says:

So charming! I wish we had something like this at my house. Already done and finished and furnished of course. I don’t want to deal with any of the in between stuff. Oh, and a meal already cooked and the table set would be a good idea too. Now I just need a genie in a bottle.

3. bgirl says:

I tried to play bitch to the tree-trimmers and ended up tattling to my husband. But then sometimes, unprovoked, I’ll throw down some mega-bitch on some innocent cashier or waiter. Hard to regulate this power.

Beautiful porch!
    We are almost finished with our back screened in porch and I keep thinking the same thing, “why did we wait so long?”

Beautiful, Chris! I am so envious!

6. Jodi@OC says:

Beautiful!

7. Jess says:

It looks amazing. What a great place to sit and watch your children play or the bears come out of the woods either or. ;)

8. Denise says:

sigh.. very nice!! I am looking for a little writing table to set myself up too, unfortunately the ‘unique’ layout of our house precludes any place I can sit inside and keep an eye on the kids in the backyard.

Nice! It looks like a great place to hide from bears.

10. cassie-b says:

It looks like a wonderful place to work. Very pretty.

Cas

11. sarah says:

It looks fantastic! And you’re “why’d it take us so long?” reminded me about that time it took my husband and I 10 years to re-string a dormer window and me 15 years to buy blinds for my kitchen windows. It all seemed too hard and scary at the time. Heh. Your porch has me thinking about my concrete front verandah that needs re-sealing, re-painting and re-rendering. Can’t be that hard can it? :)

12. Karly says:

That is gorgeous!

13. Erin says:

Chris, the black wicker furniture and red-patterned cushions are a beautiful contrast against the darkness of your new floor. It really makes the whole area “pop”. You and youer husband did a fantastic job. I love it!

14. Erin says:

oops, that was supposed to say “your”, not “youer”

15. HG says:

That porch looks divine.

Oh, how nice!!! I forget what the feel of a completed room is like. You’ve just reminded me. It is lovely. I hope you enjoy it!!!

17. Ashley says:

That is so beautiful!

18. Cheryl M. says:

Such a beautiful porch, Chris! I’ll be making your “crack dish” to bring to a graduation party on Saturday…you know the one with the cream cheese, meat, taco season mix, salsa, and refried beans….even got the lime tostitoes….I’m calling it “Chris’s Crack!”

19. humincat says:

That is really funny. I tried to be Queen Bitch during the building of our house, but being pregnant, I just kind of became Queen Pushover, because after awhile, I really just wanted a nap and a quiet place to vomit. That comment from bgirl really is hilarious. I definately have made a few cashiers and waiters crumble. You just never know when the Almighty Bi-otch will show her face. By the way, great looking porch!

20. jody2ms says:

I am in love with that porch! The floors are gorgeous!

21. Jarrod says:

I love your blog!

22. Allanna says:

That’s beautiful! Your hard work has definitely paid off!

23. Polly says:

Wow! What a great job you did. You know, when you get finished with your house, you and that trophy husband of yours could get an HG show and give Candice Olsen a run for her money.
    This looks like the perfect setting for a nice ladies brunch. Complete with mimosas. I’m bringin’ if you’re invitin’.
    Thanks again for sharing your beautiful home with us. Both of you truly have great talent in the home improvement and decorating areas.

24. Beth F. says:

Beautiful! What a great place to watch bears!

25. qtpies7 says:

How nice to get something accomplished! I actually got a clothes line put up today! My husband, knowing my dryer is broken, and that I HATE to go outside at all but despise going off the deck, made me a clothes line on a pulley I can load from the deck! Isn’t that sweet?!
    (we’ll pretend it works, lol)
    I LOVE your “About me” page! ROFLOL! I feel that way too, but I’m trying to get an identity away from having 7 kids. I’m trying to become the mom of 8, hehe.

26. Carla says:

What a beautiful porch!

27. girlymama says:

and now you have a place outside where bears cannot come snatch your children! well done!

28. Mary W says:

I LUST after your porch

29. Danielle says:

I want to move in with your family. My family hardly eats anything. The kids are small and do not play baseball. I also have a little girl that has pink cowboy boots. PLEASE!

30. Kellie says:

Love, Love, Love it!

as for the neighbors wishing you would go inside…toss some bear food (diapers) their way and let the bears get them!

31. Holly Smith says:

Very nice job…this coming from a home-improvement girl!
    I enjoyed our screened in porch so much!
    Hope it brings lots of fun memories to your fam.

32. Debbie says:

Hey Chris,
    Home improvement project looks great. Nice job. I grew up on a farm and my parents did all sorts of home/car/overall improvements projects themselves. Needless to say, I did not get that gene, I can barely change a lightbulb with confidence! Also, I saw your magazine aritcle– love that. I cut it out and sent it to a friend with four children—and the same trash problem. She’ll love it. Love your blog, thanks.

33. marengooutback says:

Love your porch! Wish mine were done. I love that you mention half finished projects.We have more of those then finished!

34. lena says:

My first 2 husbands were carpenters …NEVER was ONE project ever finished in our own home.

Kudo’s to you guys!!!You rule!!

And not to wear out the “bear theme ”
    but when I saw the tiny size of your desk ,
    I thought “man , I could never keep all my crap on such a tiny little desk, while looking out the window to see if bears were eating my children. ”

I guess I was picturing a more bear sized desk.

Go figure.My kids are grown and have never been attacked by a bear.

See..old age = crazy ….

NOW …I have to worry about everyone else’s kids. :)

35. trailin' says:

That looks so great! Bah. I can’t wait until hubby and I buy our own house.

36. Grim Reality Girl says:

I admit it, I have porch envy. I am ashamed. Good for you though! Enjoy this wonderful space! Can you come over and do some of our projects? I like the quality of the work!

37. Jenny says:

The room is beautiful! I love porches…they are so peaceful - in theory. =)

38. Beth says:

That’s amazing that you could do that without any footprints from wee ones.
    I can’t even accomplish that in my household of two adults.
    In all fairness, the footprint that results from someone figuring it was dry enough already generally matches the shape and size of my very own foot.

39. Kathy says:

That is beautiful. Lovely job on the floors:-)

40. Annalise says:

Looks really beautiful! Well done!