skies of blue and clouds of white…

skies of blue and clouds of white…

May 24, 2007

sitting on the dock at the lake

…what a wonderful world.

(Notice how Miles has his name tag on his back. He wouldn’t keep it on the front of his shirt. I told everyone it was so if I saw a small child floating in the lake I’d be able to determine if the child belonged to me before I dove in and got wet. No one thought it was as funny as I did. Go figure.)

Comments

1. hamiam says:

I don’t know why - b/c I think it is freaking funny, something I would have said for sure!

2. Melinda says:

I’m LMAO!!

3. The Lazy Organizer says:

That is so organized of you. You wouldn’t want to get your hair wet for nothing.

4. Keiko says:

It’s hilarious, so clever!
    And yep, it’s a definetly wonderful world!

Keiko

5. grace says:

I started doing that nametag on the back thing when my daughter was in Gymboree when she was crawling. This way I could always tell which baby who was trying to escape was mine!

6. JustMe says:

Maybe it would not be so funny if you lost one of your children to drowning or knew someone who did. I enjoy your blog most days and then you go and throw out some totally sick and twisted comment like that. That crap isn’t funny at all!

7. Katie W says:

Well I think it’s funny. Unfortunately all sorts of bad things happen in the world, if we were to avoid offending everybody then there would be no humour at all.

8. Brigitte says:

Now for me, totally sick and twisted comments are the whole reason I love your blog!

My daughter is so obsessed with touching the water, though, I don’t know if I could get her to just SIT on the end of the dock without jumping in. I only let her near shallow, non-flowing water!

Funny! I always make Roo wear his name tags on his back. My reason is because he loves to eat stickers. He thinks the Wal Mart smileys are the best.

10. jody2ms says:

Ahhh! What a perfect shot!

Some people have no sense of humor :)

12. Kellie says:

I think it’s funny….but, I have a sense of humor like that :)

You take some fantastic pictures…perfect shot!!

Ingenous. I would have laughed, had I been there!! Great pic!!

14. Denise says:

Sigh..

15. kellie says:

why is it that people who are so offended click on comment rather than the back button?
    i love your humor, your photos’ your blog…I wish we were neighbors!

16. Denise says:

Ok.. Now that I think about it I have more to say. I don’t want to say don’t post things that are funny to you at the time. And I too found it a bit funny.
    Why I ask have people seemed to lose comassion these days? Fortunately for most of us, we have not had an incomprehensable tradgedy like JustMe has apparently had. So rather than getting snarky and saying GAWD get a sense of humour how about an oh.. yeah I can see how that could be hard for you, and count ourselves lucky that we are not among the ones who are unfortunately offended, because we are really really lucky! Sorry Chris.. no offense to you. the offense is your discompassionate commenters.

17. Courtney says:

You are too funny! And great shot, as always!

18. Woman with Kids says:

I laughed. Of course, I think it’s funny to joke about hanging the boys from the ceiling, you know, to tidy up.

We’re sick like that.

19. the speckledpup says:

well at least you didn’t say “so I could yell hey Miles is drowning…” you admitted you would save him.

people have no sense of humor anymore.
    enjoy the holiday.

20. newbie says:

my first reaction was…wow. what a great picture! my second was..hmm..what if her kids fall in? but then i saw the rest of the pics and realized the water wasnt that deep as i had origanally thought. and im sorry about what justme posted. i mean, i get where shes coming from but if she dosent like your post, she can always just click the x on the corner of her screen. i looovvee your blog! i love your wittyness and sarcastic sense of humor. i had to go back and read all your blogs from the begining. a HUGE fan…

21. fridaynightgirl says:

HAR HAR! I love the shot - So tidy of you to be watching out for the kids that way! I say, if we don’t laugh some days by joking about taping the kids to the bed so they’ll stop getting up 30 times at bedtime for one. more. drink. then we’d cry.

Keep up the commentary - I love it! You say the things that roll around in my head. Once again, I say HAR HAR!

22. Gloria says:

no way! that is totally funny!

That perfect New England sky! Beautiful.

The joke about the name tag sounds like something my mom would say. And the whole family would laugh. Most especially because my little brother did fall/jump in a pool at a party when he was two years old and no one was watching. He would have drowned if my mother hadn’t all of a sudden decided to look for him. The name tag might have helped!

24. moi says:

Well, if I were there, I’d have laughed. Actually I probably would have choked on my wine while laughing. My husband would’ve laughed too. But we’re used to being the only ones to find some things funny. :)

25. Mish says:

Loved it!! My husband thought it was funny, too. Sorry the one had to be a spoilsport.

26. Beth says:

Denise sounds like a very wise person. Thanks, Denise.

Gorgeous photo!

28. jm says:

Well, I deal with adversity by having a very dark sense of humor. And making a joke about stuff like that is similar to knocking on wood or hanging garlic around your kid’s neck or warding off the evil eye in my family. I know it doesn’t always make sense to others, but making a joke like that means that Miles won’t fall in…see? Maybe it’s an Irish thing.

29. Wendy says:

I love the whole picture, especially the shoes. Did their feet touch the water?

I thought it was funny and very efficient.

30. Chris says:

Okay, I wasn’t talking about him DROWNING in the water and using the name tag to identify his lifeless body.

I meant if there was a splash and I looked at the kid in the water I’d know he was mine. And the part that was funny, to ME, aside from the fact that who doesn’t recognize their child, was who would look to see whose kid it was? I would dive in after any child regardless if they were mine.

There were many toddlers his size there.

oh my gosh, I feel like I am going to have to put parenthetical explanations everywhere now. (just kidding) (no, I’m not) (maybe)

jm, you need another sister??? I personaly find humor in everything. Probably a coping mechanism from having a truly shitty childhood

31. julie says:

Your comment sounded perfectly reasonable to me.

32. Elizabeth says:

When I was a teenager I attended a play on a very serious topic (don’t remember the name, but at first it appears to be people in a park, and as it goes along you slowly come to realize that they are in a mental hospital). There was a Q/A session with the cast afterwards. One person got up absolutely furious that the audience laughed at what should have been the most shocking things. The cast replied that it wasn’t that we were an awful audience, but a very common reaction to shocking or uncomfortable events. What makes us laugh, really? It is usually something that doesn’t fit or isn’t right. I would totally have made the same comment as Chris - I would have been so stressed out with toddlers by the water that for me it would have been a way to release some of that tension. And, yep, I would have been stressed because of having a near-drowning experience with one of my daughters in a crowded pool, where I actually did yell out to the person next to her to grab her and pull her up, because it was faster than me getting her. And now, I can joke that I also didn’t get my clothes wet.

33. JustMe says:

Chris,

I understand dark humor. I am afflicted myself on occasion with it. However I found it particularly shocking to read, It is true I have lost one of my beautiful children to a drowning. I never expected to see someone make a joke in reference to this or perhaps I would have been better prepared. I cant even begin to tell you about this deep raw pain of losing a child, and how senseless a drowning is. I have yet to encounter one mother who doesnt fully believe that these things only happen to others, and that they watch their kids. As if somehow they are above tragedy. Fully ignorant of the fact that it takes only mere seconds. I was so touched how you reached out to your friend Heather in regard to her cancer and yet I know you can not be responsible to the entire worlds problems. Please do not make careless jokes about those things you will never have time to understand and that you are fully blessed to not be forced to identify with.

34. Beth says:

I totally get that your remark was funny, Chris. (And I should post sometime about the dark humor my sibs and I engaged in during my mom’s recent hospital stay…and the dark humor we engaged in before my son learned to talk…and…and…) ;^) I also get that some things are going to touch a nerve with certain people — and that doesn’t make those people bad or wrong, IMO, even if they appear to be critical. Who hasn’t responded to a post or email in the heat of the moment at least once? Who hasn’t said something that was intended to be funny…and found that only part of the audience got the joke? It happens.

Everyone hears things through their own filters and has their own take on things. I think the real issue here is the way commenters are so quick to jump on other commenters who disagree with the blogger, to the point that the comments section begins to vaguely resemble a grade-school-style nyah-nyah fest. That’s what I find disheartening. More compassion all around would be a great thing. :-)

35. Anne says:

pretty picture

36. grim reality girl says:

Love the picture and name tag explanation!!! I feel sorry for them for not getting the funny!

37. Bronnie says:

Haha.. I can see why people may not LOL at the one, Chris :P

Gorgeous photo, looks like beautiful weather over there!

38. Courtney says:

“I personaly find humor in everything. Probably a coping mechanism from having a truly shitty childhood”

Yep - I’m right there with you! And FWIW it’s worth, this is YOUR BLOG. You come here to speak your thoughts. I’m sorry that you are constantly having to defend your words.

39. Megan L. says:

You were posted in Good Housekeeping as “A Good Read.” Sure enough, they were right on. I’ve read your back posts for at least 15 minutes. Now I’ve gotta get back out there in my own trenches.

40. CaliforniaGrammy says:

Love your posts, love your sense of humor, just plain ol’ love you!

41. Yvonne says:

And just who are these humorless people you were hanging out with???

42. Melanie says:

Gorgeous! The weather here is perfect, too - I hated having to come to work today.

And the nametag/floating child thing - that makes perfect sense. Why get wet for somebody else’s kid?

43. kkjayne says:

Cute photo, I laughed :P

and funnily enough as I was reading this “Wonderful World” started playing here :D

44. Deputy's Wife says:

Maybe we should be at the same get togethers. No one laughs when I tell them my other children are locked in the trunk of the car.

45. nancy Sheppard says:

I’ve never seen a blog before, but I suspect I am lucky first time. I rolled with laughter reading the “garbage rules” (good housekeeping) and love love your comment about making sure its one of yours before you plunge in to the rescue. It reminded me of a birthday party a couple of weeks ago: “hey Emma, aren’t those your kids out there balancing on that branch?” “(exhausted voice) oh, yes. That’s okay, I can always have some more.” that’s the cue for a couple of aunties to go to the rescue! The kids were getting a birds-eye view of a large alligator! I mean, duh!

46. Deborah says:

I read the page in Good Housekeeping on your “trash” rules and needed to visit your blog. Loved it. I, too, have a dry, warped, sick, sense of humor. I, too, can say it’s probably from a not so great childhood. But unlike JustMe, I have not only lost a child (last summer to a drunk driver), but lost my younger brother who drowned when he was 7 and I was 8. I know the pain one feels at the death of a sibling, as well as the pain at the death of a child. I would not wish the last year on someone I hated. But, I have also learned to find humor where it is. And sometimes, if you don’t/can’t laugh at something, it will make you cry. Thanks for sharing your life with us. :)