perfect

perfect

May 30, 2007

The weather forecast for Nantucket this weekend. The place that I am going to be with my husband, children, and seven bicycles.

perfect vacation weather

I can’t wait. Seriously.

What could be more fun that being trapped in a hotel room for a long weekend with seven kids?

Well, yes an appendectomy would be more fun.

Yes, being crushed by falling boulders.

Okay, being stabbed repeatedly with a blunt knife.

Death.

But that’s it. NOTHING else could be more fun.

Comments

1. Sleeping Mommy says:

I can only imagine, given that the times I’ve been trapped with my three I’ve nearly lost my mind–scratch that–I HAVE lost my mind.

2. maggie says:

The weatherpeople are just making it up. It’s going to be beautiful!!!

3. jen says:

Is there a pool? Exercise room? Anything to break up the mob at all? Oh well, there is always tranquilizers….for you I mean, not the children :)

4. Elinor says:

Heh. ONE hotel room? Eek!

5. Elena says:

Well, knowing how often the weathermen actually get it right, I’d say you’ll probably have a great weekend . . . .

6. Karen says:

email me the address. i’ll fedex a case of wine. or 7.

7. Lilly says:

Weather on Nantucket blows through and changes quickly. Hopefully any thunder showers will be followed by sun or at least beautiful moody nantucket weather that you can still go biking in!

8. SP says:

I love your blog! Thank you for writing it. I hope the weather takes a turn for the better and you have a great trip.

9. TW says:

The beginnings of limericks dance through my head! There once was a mom in Nantucket, stuck in a hotel room…

10. J says:

Ooh - I bet you’re getting preseason rates, though. We had this brilliant idea - just last weekend, mind you - to try to go to Nantucket the weekend of June 22-24, but there’s nothing available under $300 a night. So it’s going to be a day trip.

Have fun anyway!

11. Mary W says:

Oh dear. We’ve got the same forecast - only warmer and campground reservations and steam engine train tickets.

We’re trying not to complain too much because we are finally drought free but still.

12. Mary Alice says:

One time I was driving across Texas with three children under four in the summer, and the next day I was still driving across Texas in the summer with three children under four, and the next day I was still driving across Texas in the summer with three under four, and I had to pull off to the side of the road and take an iddy bitty break and walk out into a big ol’ empty field and scream really, really, loud. I scared some cows, but I felt waaaay better after that!

13. robiewankenobie says:

surely they have alcohol on the island?

14. Mom101 says:

You should do what I do…”shop” for the best weather forecast on various newschannels and websites. When I find the one I like, that’s the one I take!

15. The Happy Slob's Guide to Housecleaning says:

:) I can’t say that I’m not jealous, because I am! (More of the location than anything, I have to admit.) Just keep saying to yourself: “Family bonding, family bonding, family BONDING” like a mantra, and maybe someone will listen.

Can’t wait to see how it goes!
    Take care,
    Christina

This makes me think of a limerick:
    There once was a mom in Nantucket
    With her 7 children she was stuck-et
    They were all ready to ride,
    but were all kept inside
    because it was raining a bucket.
    Alternate ending:
    So she threw up her hands and said f*** it.;)

Do you have enough alcohol? Good luck!

18. elasticwaistbandlady says:

I don’t know why you consider bike riding in the rain a problem. Just wrap all your chillens and yourself up with some nice big Hefty bags. It will not only waterproof and protect you from the elments but it will also give the locals a glimpse at their first ever HOBO FAMILY Parade.
    *Bandanas on a stick and malt liquor in a paper sack optional.*

19. Mel says:

40% chance of rain is what we call The Middle of Summer around here. (Hello, Seattle!) Have fun! No, really, have fun! (I know you will.)

20. Megan L. says:

But the sun ALWAYS SHINES in vacationland. Never, ever does it rain.

I will be in Vegas where it’s supposed to be triple digits. I’m not sure what’s worse.

From this Californian’s standpoint, rain in Nantucket sounds heavenly. Of course we’re in such a drought that a flood almost sounds romantic at this point. The dryness is eating away at my brain - clearly.

I do hope you have a wonderful weekend.

22. Melanie says:

Oooh, Nantucket, that does sound fun! Maybe you can ditch the kids with your husband and go off alone and take a nap.

23. Holly Smith says:

Come to Colorado! The weather is beautiful here…by the way, I saw your picture on the next one…ya look great! No need for an 18 year old body when you look great right now.

Have a great holiday…I’m praying for the forecast to be completely wrong…and the sun to shine the whole time.

24. Tam says:

I love to read funny blogs and this made me LOL! Thanks!
    I hope the weather improves for you!

25. Jenny says:

It is never too early to teach the kids how to properly trash a hotel room.

26. amy says:

Ok it is possible that you might have a miserable time, but then again, it could be amazingly blogworthy so something good will come out of it! Thank you for continuously entertaining your faithful readers!

27. Tara says:

Have fun. Ha ha ha.

28. Brigitte says:

I like elasticwaistbandlady’s idea. Otherwise, I’m sure the rest of the hotel will love you! ;-)

29. jody2ms says:

Rain, rain, go away, come again some other day….on some other side of the continent.

Here’s to a rainless weekend, full of bikes and fun!

30. zookeeper says:

Hey- there’s only a 30 and 40% chance of showers. There’s still a 60 and 70% chance of clear sunny skies. Besides, boys have no problem playing in the rain!

31. Jessica says:

Rain makes kids stronger… I say send them out to play anyway.

32. jACKIE says:

Just bring some ponchos and you’ll be OK.

33. Fairly Odd Mother says:

Oh, I love Nantucket. We’re hoping to get there this summer. If you love the place you are staying in, would you please let me know the name after your trip? One of my favorite boys is head life guard there and also a firefighter. He’s tall, cute and blonde, and a 40 year old with a 20 year old’s brain. He’s a goofball, so if you see him, act like an old girlfriend and you’ll freak him out.

34. Jen3 @ amazing trips says:

I can think of worse things.

My father (a retired Navy man, who because of a 6-month deployment on a ship believed that he knew a thing or two about navigation), convinced my mom to buy a 35-foot boat.

With seven children aged 1 to 12, and a DOG, my mother set off with my father on a 3-day maiden voyage, on the new boat. Trying to “help” my father, my older brother threw an anchor our first night out. What he didn’t do, and what my father didn’t check, was to insure that there was sufficient line in place to account for tidal fluctuations.

The tide came in, the boat went up, our anchor came loose, and we were off. When my mother woke up at 3 AM to feed the baby, she realized that she could no longer see any of the night lights that had been on the horizon. It turns out, we had completely drifted out to sea.

The irony here is that I grew up in MA and this trip was in Woods Hole. By the time my father figured out what had happened - we had floated almost all the way to Nantucket.

Ah, good times. Although not nearly as exciting as the time we ran aground in Martha’s Vineyard … or were rescued by the Coast Guard off Block Island.