i see boxes

i see boxes

June 9, 2007

I am typing this post from Mir’s house where I am helping her pack. Two weeks! TWO WEEKS!!! For the record she is not nearly as freaked out about all the packing she still has left to do as I am. Because OHMYGOD she has a big house and has lots of stuff.

One lively conversation we had was about the number of sheets people need for their beds. I happen to fall into the one set of sheets is enough camp, while Mir believes they may just stop making sheets and she had better stock up.

I forced her to get rid of tons of stuff. And now we are no longer friends. But then we kissed and made up and had a naked pillow fight.

Then we went out to the liquor store. Because packing requires alcohol consumption.

We were enjoying ourselves there, having been carded. Even though he clearly did it just to be nice. Or he is blind. We spotted two walls lined with boxes, and I remarked that we could probably use some of them.

The nice young man waiting on us said, “Take as many as you want. You can bring home the whole wall of boxes over there if you want.”

“Okay,” we said. And I went and got the van so we could load it up with liquor boxes.

Our second trip into the store from the van for some boxes the man says, “You can’t take all of those boxes!”

And we were all confused. Because he had just said we could take the boxes.

“But you said we could have as many boxes as we wanted….” we protested.

“I was joking. You are taking it way to seriously.”

Mir is convinced that they just wanted us out of the store because we were ruining the ambiance, which would be florescent lighting and selling alcohol to underage kids. AH well.

We brought the boxes home and used them all to pack books, mostly her kids books. We reasoned we didn’t even need to label them. Once she moves she can just assume all the liquor boxes contain children’s books.

We are going to go back to the same liquor store tomorrow and ask for more boxes. Just to see what they say.

Comments

1. The Lazy Organizer says:

Was the clerk coming down from some cold medicine? What a goof! Maybe you didn’t buy enough liquor the second time.

2. ChristieNY says:

Mir is so lucky to have you helping out! The clerk must have been trying (unsuccessfully) to flirt with you gals and goofed! What a nut! ;)

And when you’re finished helping Miss Mir, I would LOOOOVE some tips on streamlining (such as the one set of sheets per bed rule), good stuff! :)

3. Carolynn from Western Australia says:

I just love fresh bedsheets, so I have 4 sets which I rotate around along with matching towels with each set. I also have a couple of extras so if anyone wants to stay on the pull out in the front room they can, along with towels for guests. Mind you we don’t have guests very often at all in fact rarely. Even though we have a 3 bedroom house we only have one bedroom as I have one as my craftroom come study and Monty has one for his study.

When you have finished helping Mir you can come visit me in Australia and help me to streamline my place, I’m sure I have stuff that would make someone at the Good Sammies really happy. That’s my plan after we have finished our holidays.

Take Care
    Love Carolynn :-)

4. queendivakate says:

What a goofball of a clerk!

I think you should go back to the liquor store tomorrow and say that the clerk last night said you could have all those boxes…. You never know they may just give them to you.

It never hurts to ask….

5. boomama says:

Have fun, you two crazy kids.

6. Karen says:

Oh, the new neighbors are going to get a kick out of seeing Mir move in using liquor boxes. I’m sure they’ll create a story in their heads about “what kind of people these must be to go through that much booze!”

We once had a group of young adults move into the townhouse next to us in a potato chip truck. Yup, the “Buckeye Chip” truck pulled into the parking area and they unloaded their stuff. :)

7. Woman with Kids says:

Packing is always more fun with alcohol consumption. Unpacking? Slightly more frustrating though.

…Why on earth did I pack Boy 1’s summer shorts, Boy 2’s books and a frying pan together? Was I drunk?

8. nancy says:

They say that moving house scores second on the “most stressful things” tests. (death of your spouse being the most stressful) I don’t know how they work these things out, but I am sure that alcohol and pillow fights must be good medicine. Now I need advice: my 2 big boys are telling youngest boy that he is an irritating baby, and this has been going on for weeks. Meanies! I am running out of logical and/or loving solutions. Everyone is in timeout with a cup of tea. Help! Before I boil them all up in a cauldron with eye of newt and puppy dogs’ tails!!
    I know you all have ideas!

9. Katie W says:

I feel your moving/packig pain. I’m in the middle of moving, literally! The boxes are being loaded in to the car this afternoon to go to the new flat. I’m just really confused about who bought all this stuff? I mean it can’t have been me, I’d never have spent this much money!
    for teh record I’m a 2 sets of sheets gal. I don’t tumble dry anything (because I don’t have a dryer), so in winter you can wash stuff and it won’t be dry by that night. i also quite like the change!

10. kathy says:

I say you go back to the liquor store and tell the clerk that the boxes you got yesterday were too drunk to work and you need boxes that AREN’T drunk. Ask him if they have Kleenex boxes.

MY best friend used a McD’s truck to move!

And we ALWAYS use liquor boxes - they are PERFECT for so much! Books and glassware come to mind. And what exactly will they do with all the boxes at the liquor store?? They just trash them don’t they?? What do they care if you take them?

I am more of a flannel in the winter cotton n the summer kind of girl so we have a couple of each for sheets.

12. Karen says:

It really must be crazy week in the world.

Hope you’re having a blast!

13. Sadie says:

Oh, you have to have at least two sets of sheets per bed especially for kids. They leak. From both ends.

14. Kerry says:

I am so jealous. I know you two are working your pants off, but boy do you make it sound like fun!

cross posted!

15. Wendy says:

I will never look at alcohol boxes the same, again. I will just always assume they have children’s books in them. Then I will bring them home and read to my kids.

16. Brigitte says:

We also like flannel in winter, linen in summer, and I’m too lazy to wash & dry sheets the second they’re off the bed, so it’s four sets per bed!

Maybe next time you’re at the package store, see what the clerk says if you threaten him with - oops! I mean PROMISE him a naked pillow fight reenactment.

17. Sleeping Mommy says:

I wish I had a friend to come help me pack–we are moving either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday–yes, I don’t know yet. We are trying to talk them into closing on Wednesday so we can start moving as my husband will be gone most of the weekend. I do not want to get stuck moving this stuff by myself!

18. Daisy says:

Liquor boxes are perfect for pakcing books! They are strong and not too big, so they won’t get too, too heavy.

19. Karen says:

I’m not moving, but will you come drink alcohol with me and help me get rid of some stuff too?

20. rachel says:

I’m in the 2 sets of sheets camp - 2 sets for summer, and then 2 sets of flannel. But that’s been a battle, my friend has been helping me de-clutter.

As much as I wish I was up there drinking with both of you, I’m so glad I’m not moving. I’m sure you could swing by here for a drink on your way home, though! :)

21. Mom101 says:

Now what underage drunk boys in their right minds would not want to see the two of you having a pillow fight.

22. Mom101 says:

That is…a naked pillow fight.

Of course.

23. Danielle says:

We used boxes from the liquor store to move from Seattle to way down south last July. I’m also a Teacher and didn’t think about what kind of boxes I packed my school stuff in. One of my new teacher “friends” was shocked when she came over to watch me unpack my boxes. I just assured her that in Seattle we drink on the job. For some reason she doesn’t really talk to me anymore.

24. Anna says:

Packing, yuck. When I moved I had a box of books too heavy to move, so I wrote “pillows” prominently on it, and asked a couple guys from work to help. They still aren’t talking to me. Nancy (Now I need advice: my 2 big boys are telling youngest boy that he is an irritating baby, and this has been going on for weeks), darlin’, tell your youngest to stop being an irritating baby.

25. Gloria says:

LOL @ liquor boxes full of kids books

26. nancy says:

I certainly did tell him to stop being an irritating baby, in front of his brothers. His crimes? Reading too slow. Asking questions while big brothers were “doing something.” anyway, his brothers seemed to feel that justice was done, and they were all sweetness and joy. They asked if they could light a bonfire. It had been raining, so I smiled sweetly and handed them a box of matches. And got into bed with a bag of chocolate chips to think. We have a dumb education system here, with a major 11+ exam coming up, and I think it must be end of term stress. Your school system is much more child-friendly! So I guess the big boys will get back to “normal” in the holidays, whatever “normal” means. I would still really like suggestions. Any storybooks? I figure it doesn’t hurt to ask, and Iike the vibe here. Help!

27. Tara says:

Our realtor recently noted that when people start packing to move they must hit the bottle pretty heavily because he ALWAYS sees stacks and stacks of liquor store boxes in every house he sees being packed. They’re the best!

28. Rae says:

I want to move again, so that you can come out to California and help me pack!