Ten Years Ago

Ten Years Ago

June 16, 2007

I had a two year old and a one year old. And I gave birth to my third son.

Also, gave birth to whatever little of my sanity was left I think. But the good news is that ten years later, I can say that some of my sanity has returned. Or maybe I just don’t care anymore.

Ten Years Ago

Three in diapers. Three. Three babies. Three who were younger than my youngest child is now.

I recall very little of those days. It’s all a blur of diaper changing, feeding, and trying desperately to coordinate nap times.

Comments

1. Molly says:

Oh dear, I’m sorry you don’t remember more of it. I have a five year old, a three year old and a five month old. When they all roll around playing together on my bed, and I just lie there watching them, it’s such a wonderful feeling…..

2. Anna says:

Ahhhhhhhh! So sweet…

3. xenia kathryn says:

God bless you. I really admire you, Chris!

4. (other) chris says:

it’s cute to multiples of miles’ faces in these three!

5. Cheryl M. says:

and before you can blink an eye you’ll have a 17 year old, a 16 year old, and a 15 year old….:)))

6. Jess says:

I love that photo. They look so sweet looking down at their new baby brother.

7. queendivakate says:

Beautiful photo. Amazing to look back and see what you have accomplished and survived.

8. Annika says:

I am so glad I have a blog. It is the only way I’ll ever remember anything (even pre-baby stuff). The other day my husband asked me what we did for my birthday last year and I said, “Check my blog.”

9. Maria Ashley says:

That was me, too. Three under three and then four under four. Unfortunately, I didn’t start scrapbooking until the 4th (of 6) so most of the stories and daily joys of the earliest days of the first three are completely lost to me. Now, my scrapbooks may not be up to date, but at least all the journaling and storytelling are saved for later use. I also find myself looking at my youngest and thinking that she is the only one who is going to make it to age two (and beyond) without a sibling. It is a happy/sad feeling.

Happy Birthday to third son!!!!

11. Christina says:

We just graduated from that stage, my baby is now 2 and all of a sudden we can go places without having to take the world with us and 2 can now walk at the grocery store, huge difference :)

12. Anne Glamore says:

I’m at the same point, or a year ahead of you, and if anything, I’m loving these years more. No one told me how much fun it would be to tell my sons about sex, or eavesdrop on them while they look up cuss words in the dictionary!

But thanks God I took lots of pictures back then– it’s all a hallucinogenic haze.

13. Shari says:

Did you ever figure out how to co-ordinate nap times? Cause I would love to get in on that secret!

14. Mary@notbefore7 says:

I have 3 under the age of 5 right now and it is becoming a blur….loving it though!

Happy birthday to your third son! I had 3 kids under 16 months (silly twins) at one point. I don’t remember much of that year either.

16. Kristie says:

I was in the exact same situation …. a one year old and a two year old when the third was born. The difference between me and you is that you were braver, and went on to have more …. something I sometimes regret that we didn’t do. Sometimes I don’t regret it, but sometimes I certainly do. Anyway, happy birthday to baby number 3!!

17. Karen says:

Wow, you had your hands full!

18. Crisanne says:

It is amazing to me that you did go on to have more kids…I’m maxed out at 3! It is so much fun watching your family through your eyes. You are very blessed as a mother.

Its amazing how much Miles looks like all of them. Darling picture :)

20. Miriam says:

I feel your pain and will be coming to you constantly for advice! I have a two year old, a 1 year old, and am due with our third in two weeks! I realized today I will have 3 kids in 31 months. YIKES! It’s good to know there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, and that you went on to have more kids! Seriously, I am going to need your advice!

21. jenn says:

You survived to be funny, witty and wise (a**). You give me hope that I too, will come through this endless tunnel of potty chairs, diapers, bottles and laundry with a strand of coherent thought.

22. sarcastic journalist says:

As someone with a 2 and a 1-year-old, this scares me.

23. Karen @familybriefs.com says:

We’ve (sadly) decided not to have any more children after our fourth - even though I still have an 11-month-old, I miss the baby days. I know I’ll miss them more and more and more . . .

24. Jen3 @ amazing trips says:

So maybe one day soon I won’t care that my sanity is gone, either?

Potty training has been a complete bust so within the next couple of weeks, I’ll have four in diapers. But, at least I’ll be able to drink wine again.

25. MamaGeph says:

I’ll bet after years like that, anything else you do would seem like a cakewalk.

26. MamaLady says:

Humm, I think your theory about not caring is more on target. I just don’t see some of those brain cells coming back. But I guess time will only tell.

27. Qalballah says:

Ah. Freshly baked. They smell delicious at that age.

Hicky Birdy ten year old boy!

28. meritt says:

Huge smile on my face for you!!! I had three close in age… but that not close. :)

Oh - tell that man of yours “happy father’s day” from Iowa. :)

Happy birthday number three!

30. Jenny says:

Aww that’s cute. :)

31. Summer says:

3 under 3! I don’t know how you did it but you deserve a metal and a holiday named after you!

32. Brigitte says:

I think it’s why my mom is the way she is now, she had 4 of us before she was 26, in just under 4 years.

That sanity thing is over-rated, anyway.
    :-)

33. Shauna says:

My oldest and youngest share the same birthday, just three years apart. My youngest is now three and those first 15 months were a blur. Luckily my oldest was potty trained, but it was an exercise in insanity (still practicing today, I believe).

34. Jen3 @ amazing trips says:

I’ve been thinking a lot about this since I posted last night. My mom had 6 in 7 years and me a few years later (for a total of 7 kids). As crazy as it is having 3-2 year olds right now … and being 9 mos pregnant with our 4th … the upside is the three that I DO have, are all on the same schedule (they’d be on more of the same schedule if they’d stay in their cribs during nap time).

Juggling different activities across three separate ages is daunting. And then four separate ages, and five and six and seven. It’s incredible my mother even remembers her name. I guess this is the challenge when you have an out of control ice maker!

35. CaliforniaGrammy says:

I can tell you that when you get to be in your sixties (even though we raised just two daughters) you don’t remember ANY of the rough stuff in raising the kids . . . only the fun and positive stuff. However, our two were no problem at all . . . I think!

36. CaliforniaGrammy says:

Happy Birthday big guy.

37. Maddy says:

Happy Birthday to son number 3, and I agree with others that son no 2 and Miles are amazingly similar.

38. Mary says:

I had 3 children in 23 months, 7 in 10 years. Yes, things often seem to have been a blur–but reading your blog brings back memories of similar situations in our family, which lead to other memories, and others . . . so if I forget about the daily loads of cloth diapers in the washer, or the days when both my husband and I were sooo tired–who cares? My 7 are now 30, 29, 28, 26, 23, 21 and 20. . . .

39. Holli Smith says:

I don’t know how you did it! I admire you. I had one and until he was 4 I was saying nope,he’s all I can handle no more for me!
    Woman, you got the patience of Job (or Jose Cuervo not sure which)!

40. Ashley says:

That is such a sweet picture.

41. Kate says:

I can imagine having several children when I read your blog. You make it all seem sort of idyllic, frankly, although I’m sure it’s also a lot of hard work.

What I can’t imagine, is being pregnant seven times. I’m about a month away from having my first, and at the moment I can’t even imagine being pregnant TWICE. I give you so, so much credit for that.

42. Joy H says:

YIKES, Happy Belated Birthday!

43. april says:

Is this when you were screaming Make it stop, make it stop!!??

Seriously, they are beautiful and those years do fly by much too quickly.

44. elasticwaistbandlady says:

Ten years ago………..I was exactly in the same place with the same aged kids, delivering baby three. We went on to have 6 kids in 7 years. Nice to know that we both made the most of our fertility!

45. Elfie says:

I did three in two years (had twins, then got pregnant again when they were 6 months old). Literally, the twins were 15 months old when number 3 came home. I likewise remember very little of it. You were smart to add one on the end when you could enjoy it a little more!

Beautiful boys.