30 months old

30 months old

June 18, 2007

getting a haircut

This weekend you got a haircut. An honest to goodness, real boy haircut. No more long hair with the baby waves that I liked to run my fingers through. And you liked to swat my hand away and say, “Iss my hair. TOP DAT!”

You have had hair cuts before. But you always just looked like a baby with short hair.

At 30 months old you have already begun to tell me about your plans for when you are a grown up. According to you, you will have a mowocycle. And not only that, it will have a holder for your sippy cup. When I point out that as a grown up perhaps you won’t have a Thomas sippy cup, you become very indignant. “Yessssss. I grow up I HAB MY SIPPY CUP on my MOWO-CYCLE!” If you knew how to roll your eyes you would.

mileshaircut5

You love to go to the dump with your father on the weekends. I am not sure why. All it consists of is a five minute car ride surrounded by smell garbage. But you love it. “My Go-a dump? My go-a dump, Daddy?”

Whenever Daddy is home you insist that I move your car seat into his car. Even if he is not going anywhere. You just like to know it is available should Daddy try to make a quick get-a-way without you. “Take my carseat out you big bus car, Mama. Put in Daddy tiny car.” Everytime Rob dares to venture near the door you take off running. “My come wif you! My comin’ wif you!”

mileshaircut7

You love to tell everyone that you have a penis. As we stroll through our local Wal-Mart you will suddenly shout out the the person next to us, “You HAB A PENIS? I HAB A PENISSSS.” You also like to tell people, “Mama not hab a penis. Her penis falled off.”

take a little off the top, Dad

I have jotted down things that I don’t want to forget. Things about this stage you are in that I know I will not remember unless they are written down.

They include:

1) The way you drag the ’s’ sound at the end of words out longer than it needs to be. So your pants, becomes pantsssssssssss.

2) The way you have names for all your shoes:

slip-slops, cocoa shoes (laceless slip ons-no idea why), baby shoes (brown fisherman sandals-again, no idea), sandals, dum-dum shoes (monster shoes)

3)The way you look out the window and yell at all the “chicken-monks” instead of calling them chipmonks. I am not sure why it amuses me so, but it does.

4) The way that when I am away from you for even a short time, like using the bathroom, when you see me you will come running, your arms wide open and yell, “Mommy, Mommy, Mommy! I found you.” And then you hug my legs and routinely head butt my pelvic bone.

5) The things that your brothers have taught you to say.

So now out of the blue when someone says something to you and you don’t hear them, you will respond, “What you talking about, punk?”

transformation complete

Transformation to little boy is complete. And I don’t remember okaying it.

Comments

1. Salsaqueen says:

Awww, Miles isn’t a baby any more! He’s a little man. Wonderful post, as always, Chris.

2. Missy says:

OMG, if he isn’t the cutest thing ever!!!

3. poppy fields says:

This made me smile, what a handsome little boy.

4. Sherry says:

Your boy is making my sweet tooth hurt. He’s a looker.

5. Gloria says:

Just makes you want to weep. Who tells them they can grow up?

6. Jodi says:

OMG! Is he edible?! He looks so sweet and yummy! The cheeks! How do you control yourself!? :)

7. Stephanie says:

That makes me cry… reminds me so of my boy and he’s 26 now.

8. Woman with Kids says:

What a cutie… I like the chicken-monks. Boy 1 called it a ‘cello-phone’ for the longest time, I didn’t correct him because I liked it. One last link to being a little boy.

He is so cute! Ah! And so is your husband. (Sorry, couldn’t help myself) Does he always cut the boys’ hair?

10. jenn says:

I’m in the same boat with my 34 month old. I don’t want her to become a big ‘un, like her older sister. Luckily, I have the baby coming up behind her. Though what I’m going to do when he becomes the 34 month old, I don’t know.

11. liz says:

He’s just delicious.

12. Karen says:

Wow. Great post. They do grow up so quickly. I remember my dh telling me that he would correct our toddlers if they were saying something incorrectly. And I forbid him from doing it. After all, they don’t say “chicken-monks” forever. What’s the harm in letting them do it for awhile until they pick up the right way???

13. Meg says:

Oh MAN! He is unbelievably cute…just beyond words…

14. Stevie says:

I haven’t been commentating lately, but I’m always here. This one just *required* the following comment: ~That man of yours, is there *anything* that he can’t do?~

Your Miles is gorgeous (as is my own, 34-month-old Miles, who also has long hair, but I’m not cutting it just yet!)

So bittersweet. You have a housee full of heartbreakers!!! I love looking at his face as the haircut progresses. Precious!!

16. Jenny says:

I’m a bit of a lurker and haven’t really commented, but I love your posts and couldn’t resist this one. Your son is adorable and this posting makes me wonder what my little girl is going to surprise me with when she’s his age (she currently just shy of 15months). Thanks for sharing your stories/experiences, they are all very wonderful.

17. JESSICA says:

awwee..this brought tears to my eyes…

18. The Pumkin Patch says:

AWWW! How incredibly sweet! The new haircut is ADORABLE!!!

19. bombaygirl says:

He is just so adorable! I had to go back and look at the first picture again…it really was a transformation!

20. Karly says:

Oh, that brought tears to my eyes! You don’t remember okaying it…poor mommy.

21. Lauren says:

re: number 4, it’s a good thing your penis fell off!

22. Anarchy in the OK says:

Oh. My. LORD. How cute can one kid be before he becomes a danger to himself and those around him? I thought my toddler-man had cornered the market on adorability, but Miles is definitely giving him a run for his money. And that is the highest compliment I could ever pay anyone EVER.

Thanks for sharing such sweet pictures.

23. Heth says:

Oh my goodness, adorable!

Long time lurker coming out to say this made me all teary. These kids do grow up way too fast. Miles is just beautiful!

25. Sheen of diaper Harlem says:

Oh man sounds like my little man. Same age so I can relate and laugh my head off!
    CUTE!

26. Jackie says:

Too sweet!

27. Megan says:

Your children, by far, are the most adorable children in the whole world! Both personality and looks.

28. Jen says:

Oh he’s getting so big! My almost 3 yr old says, “scallop” for her scalp. Combing her hair this AM, “Ouch mom, your hurting my scallop!”

So adorable and so sad at the same time. Almost makes you want another baby in the house….almost :)

30. Erin says:

Chris,

Miles looks JUST like your 6 year old in the 2nd and 3rd pictures! I am amazed at the resemblance. All of your kids are so stunning.

That last picture, I have never seen him photographed smiling like that. I can’t get over how much older he looks!

Beautiful post as always.

31. MamaLady says:

“Chicken Monks” crack me up too!
    Miles is so grown up looking now.
    AND your husband cuts hair to boot. He’s quite the catch, huh?

32. Joy H says:

Precious; yummy; delicious!

My little dude is STILL asking people ‘you got a weena?’ (even though I have called it a penis, lol) I’ve even warned my 9yo’s friends to just answer with no reaction and move on quickly. Makes me giggle inside everytime.

33. Mary@notbefore7 says:

I love this post. They do grow so quickly. Baby #2 in this house is just a bit older than your guy here. I love how you notice so many details about him, his life, his actions, and WHO he is…even with so many sibilings! It is good to celebrate the uniqueness God gave each one.

34. Phoenix says:

Ahhhh, he’s so freaking cute and big. When did he become a little boy and not a baby? Sheesh.

I love the chicken-monks. That’s just too cute.

35. Tricia says:

Brave woman…Such a step, letting the baby look all grown up! :)

36. jojo says:

a wonderful post. i always look forward to reading your blogs in the afternoon. i have yet to find another blogger that captivates me as much as you do. i love the part of your older kids teaching him the word punk. and your husband almost resembles clive owen in one of the pics…very nice. you certainly are lucky to have a wonderful family.

37. Beth says:

Dear Chris -

I’m terribly sorry to hear about your penis.

Regards,
    B.E.C.K.

P.S. Oh, your little boy is adorable. ;^)

38. Barb Cooper says:

Oh, Chris, he’s just… beautiful. (But don’t tell him someone called him beautiful, I don’t want to piss him off.) My youngest is six now but she still pronounces a few things wrong. “Swiss Family Roberson.” The stage I thought was to cutest was when she couldn’t pronounce her “l’s”. And she was so DEFINITE about things. “I sit in your WAP!” Oh, now I am getting all teary over her toddlerhood even though I KNOW better. (I used to call her toddler years the “terrible twos, the tormenting threes and F**king Fours.” She was NOT an easy kid.)

But thank you. This was so beautiful. –Barb

Beautiful, Chris. Beautiful boy, beautiful post.
    I’m not going to OK Roo growing up, either.

40. Jen says:

Doesn’t it just make you ill? I KNOW they have to grow up, and I KNOW I’m soooo done having kiddos, but doesn’t it just seem so unfair that we can’t have just one stay little forever?

41. Liz in Australia says:

Oh, so cute!

This kinda makes me glad that we’re not done babymaking yet. But we will be someday (I don’t think I can get my DH’s OK to indefinite continuation of the production of offspring, even if biology wasn’t waiting just round the corner to mug my ovaries). Bittersweet…

42. Christin says:

AH! I want to *squeeze* him! Wanna do a little match-making? You know, sort of resurrecting the whole betrothal mindset? My almost 3 year old with yours? Wanna Wanna? I foresee beautiful offspring. ;)

Believe it or not, I came across your website when Googling some random music lyrics. Which apparently are, in no way, linked to you. Huh. The World of Internet…who can figure it out?

43. Ananas says:

I had to comment to say that “Chicken-monks” is absolutely adorable.

44. Anna says:

Those dimples!

I am so envious! I want a 30-month-old again!

46. Megan L. says:

I don’t even know what to say. Well. I take that back. Yes I do. What a lovely gift to leave your child. I wish I had thought to do things like that way back when.

47. Bronnie says:

Awww I love that last photo, so gorgeous!

48. Lena says:

You made my heart bleed.

Man ,do I miss mine being that age.They are about to be 23,25 and 27.
    Cherish every one of those moments.:)

It’s awesome that you have the foresight to write them down. (the memory becomes shot in the 40’s ,you know)

Miles is adorable….and I was going to say “man, you sure found a cute barber, mine were always grizzled old men.”

I didn’t realize it was your husband. lol

Way to go! Cherish HIM too. :)

49. Fold My Laundry Please says:

Is that what it looks like to have a child’s hair cut without them screaming through the entire thing? Of my three, none of them are good for hair cuts. I always take them to Supercuts or something because there aren’t enough drugs for me to be able to do it. The last time I took them for cuts, the poor girl worked so hard to get it done fast that she sliced her fingers up something fierce with the scissors on the first haircut. They had to get someone else to do the second cut and I decided to forego the third for the sake of their sanity.

50. Deputy's Wife says:

I love your Miles posts.

Great writing. Makes me think of my Jack attack. He is only fwee, but a big boy fwee he likes to tell us.

51. Celine says:

Oh but he’s still got the DIMPLE! He’s so very cute.

And, I’m really sorry your penis falled off. That’s gotta hurt. LMAO

52. Melanie says:

Oh, cuuuuuute!! He’s adorable. Plus, he sounds like an absolute riot to live with. I have scraps of paper with things my son has said that are hilarious, but they’re scattered all over my house. I should stick them all in a blog post so I don’t forget them.

53. Jessica says:

That was the sweetest post I’ve ever read :) My son is the same age and he sounds very similar to your Miles. Especially when it comes to talking about his penis LOL. Thank you for making me smile today!

54. Laura K. says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Miles can’t grow up! Please stop him!!

I love all the things you wrote about him.. I can just imagine him saying it all!

55. Brigitte says:

Since I’m already in my 40’s with a shot memory, you’re inspiring me to write down some of my daughter’s toddler-isms too.

Your son is just too scrumptious, he doesn’t even need a sprinkle of sugar to eat him all up!

Although, little boys and that whole penis-thing - I usually don’t have a boy/girl preference, but there ARE moments I’m glad mine is a girl!

56. deborah says:

Oh, Little man, Miles. what an adorable little boy he has become. They do grow up too darn fast. Thank you for sharing him with us.

57. Becky says:

I thought he was adorable with his longer hair…but I gotta say, he still looks pretty darn good with his hairs cut.

58. Jana says:

3 years old is the absolute perfect age…my alltime favorite. You have such beautiful and funny kids, and you are obviously a very talented writer—why else would I look forward to reading your blog everyday to see what is going on with people I don’t know and have never met???

59. Darren McLikeshimself says:

NICE haircut, little man.

60. sherry says:

I can’t stop laughing at the thought of a little boy asking strangers if they have a penis.

My condolences on the one you lost, I hate when they just fall off.

61. Shannon says:

Reminds me of my son….who said it was okay for them to grow up? THis brought tears to my eyes!

62. Cate says:

Yeah. I’m the baby, and my mom says she didn’t give me permission to grow up. I’m 34.

63. Lisa says:

Awwww, MAN, here I was sitting, all fine and dandy, and then I read this post which happened to be written on my daughter-who-just-turned-seven’s birthday, and now I’m all emotional! WHY WHY WHY does time have to fly so fast?
    Your little guy is so cute and I love all the things that he says! My daughter still says “Skwungebob Pairpants” and I have NO intention of ever correcting her! (Who needs to say Spongebob Squarepants” correctly, anyway?)

64. Sunny says:

God he’s sooooooo cute. He is going to be very popular with the ladies. ;)

He is just too cute for words. Why on earth do they have to grow up?!? And the things he says! Adorable.

66. rachel says:

wow - I remember refreshing neurotically waiting for him to be born! wow.

he’s so sweet. I want to freeze time on my youngest, she’s growing up too fast. I’m wiling to bet you feel that way too.

67. Callista says:

LOL, your penis fell of hehee. That’s cute, and embarassing.

Chicken-monks is priceless. I can’t wait till my daughter is that age! Okay, well maybe I can as it does go so fast.

68. Jenn says:

My 5.5-year-old just got his first buzz cut, and removing the bangs magically transformed him from “little boy” to “kid.” I was kind of sad and kind of delighted.

This child also had to be taught that his moms’ penises didn’t fall off; we never had them. He was STUNNED. I put his uncle on the case.

69. Tara says:

That is simply hilarious!!! I have a two and a three year old, so I could totally relate. Enjoyed reading!

70. Rachel May says:

What an awesome post… and can I pretty, pretty please kiss those cheeks?

71. znaowjancz says:

Hello! Good Site! Thanks you! wkiskbyikewc

72. Crumbs In My Couch » the fascination begins in the early days says:

[...] she homeschools…is there really anything else I need to say?  She is superwoman, my hero! On Miles turning 30 months: You love to tell everyone that you have a penis. As we stroll through our local Wal-Mart you will [...]

73. Michele says:

My oldest, when he learned the word penis, walked around the grocery store telling every.body. that “I have a penis in my shorts!”