here, there, oh and there, and there too

here, there, oh and there, and there too

June 19, 2007

I have my post up over at Parenting today inspired by Father’s Day.

People always say they feel sorry for any boy my daughter ever brings home. That he will never measure up in the eyes of her brothers and father. And they say it like it is a bad thing.

Also, I am writing over at BlogHer now. NOT about children or parenting, thank god, because how many stories about my family can I tell. Instead I am writing about Do It Yourself home renovation, a topic I love to talk endlessly about. My first post House Whisperers is up now.

I am speaking at Blogher this summer on this panel with these fabulous women.

The State of the Momosphere
It’s no secret that MommyBlogging has changed a lot in the past two years. Sort of like actors who toil away for years before becoming overnight sensations, MommyBloggers are now seen as power influencers by marketers and the media. Whether managing what amounts to small publishing juggernauts, or cranking out posts mostly for family and friends in their not-so-copious spare time, MommyBloggers are getting a lot of attention…individually and as a “segment.” Has the attention and opportunity affected the way you blog? Should it? What are some of the non-negotiable boundaries you have when you consider commercial relationships? Has all the attention and increasing opportunity also affected who you read? This panel will take a look at how MommyBloggers continue to express themselves, support one another and build their platforms under a microscope. It may also give those outside the Momosphere a better understanding of what MommyBloggers want, and how they want to be engaged, if at all. Come join the discussion and answer the questions above for yourself! Jory Des Jardins leads what is sure to be a lively discussion amongst the diverse community of MommyBloggers, including Catherine Connors, Lena Lotsey, Chris Jordan and Nordette Adams.

I suppose one of the things that interests me about the panel is the question of does increased visibility effect the way that you blog. A few people have emailed me asking me where my archives went. I took them down. Last week I got an email from someone who read through my entire archives and then pieced together all the information to find my exact address. I thought I was somewhat discrete. Even though she herself was not a freaky scary person at all, it caused me to rethink some things. So I will be going back and selectively editing out old posts.

And as much as I love all of you, yes even you, please don’t ever show up at my house unbidden, like has happened to several other bloggers. Because it would not endear you to me. I would have to shoot you. Okay, not really, maybe just throw Legos at you until you run away. Those can leave quite a welt you know.

Thanks everyone for a lively discussion, but comments are now closed.

Comments

1. Jeana says:

Wow. I’ve read all of your archives too, and I thought you were pretty discreet. I’ve wondered about my own blog before, if I’ve unintentionally given too much information. I’d be curious to know what clues she used, if you could tell it without giving your own details. (Landmarks? Neighboring towns?)

2. Marianne says:

Man… why do people have to go and ruin stuff? Chris - I must admit that I was quite the consumer of your archives, so I am seriously bummed. But (not that you need my ok), your safety and that of your family is way more important. Thanks for sharing SO MUCH with us.

3. Christin says:

All I can say is I literally felt sick to my stomach when I read that. She pieced your details together?! I’m speechless. and disgusted.

4. Alison says:

I have read a lot of the archives and loved them. The way you write about your family (almost) makes we want to have and homeschool seven children! :) I look forward to the return of the edited archives.

5. Mary Beth says:

I also read through your archives, just recently. I guess I found your blog just in time! I thought you were very discreet, and while I wondered where you lived because your pics. are so beautiful, I would never go so far as to try to hunt you down!! As the youngest of 7 children I enjoy reading about your big family and all of the fun and chaos that goes along with it. Thanks for sharing your stories with us! :) You have a beautiful family!!

I both admire and fear for bloggers that put themselves out there for the world to see.

I am glad I found your site and got to read the prior posts.

Just who are these people who have time to do creepy things like figure out where you live? I can’t even keep clean clothes in the drawers.

7. Liz in Australia says:

A few years ago, my husband showed me how easy it would be for someone to go through my then-blog and piece little snippets of information together to end up knowing far too much. I thought I was being pretty discreet too, but it just took a lot of patience and the kind of mind that aces logic puzzles. That was pretty much when I stopped blogging publicly about my family.

Even if she seemed innocuous, having a complete stranger demonstrating the same thing would freak me out. I don’t blame you for taking your archives down, but I’m sorry if it made you feel less secure in your online home.

8. Kelly says:

Did she piece the stuff together to show you what COULD be done? Or to freak you out? I can imagine my mother doing that, if I were to ever have a blog. Just to prove it’s not safe (in her mind).
    Regardless, I love your blog & I too have gone back years in your archives to read about the ‘early years.’

9. Lilly says:

Since that reader wasn’t ‘freaky scary,’ she may just enjoy a good puzzle and wanted to let you know finding your locale could be done.

Someone figured out where I was located because I mentioned a famous person who was visiting our nearby library. The reader referred to the event schedule of the famous person on-line and saw where she’d be the date I blogged. She just wanted me to know that if I didn’t want to be located I shouldn’t include that kind of info.

Here’s hoping that reviewing your archives isn’t too big a task and that you can put them back up sometime soon.

10. Alene says:

Delurking to say BUMMER. I’ve been trying to get through your archives. But I don’t have much time to sit down and read them. I’m a homeschooling mom to five children, ages 17 to 10 months so, enough said, right? I really enjoy your blog and wish I could write as beautifully as you and other bloggers. I also felt sick to my stomach when I read this entry–yuck. At the same time I’m glad someone brought your attention to it so you can edit. Still, it’s creepy. I guess we can never be too careful anymore. I will also be waiting patiently for your edited archives.

11. Holli Smith says:

Wow, that is a creepy. You could’ve always fed her to the bears! :-)
    Apparently I’m totally oblivious because I’ve read your archives and still have no idea where you live! I just retain the funny stuff and let all the other stuff out the left ear! hehe

12. Kellie says:

I love your blog, I am a long time reader. My morning routine is to sit down with my coffee and computer and your blog is the first I check every morning. I used your blog roll to check out my other favorites…where did it go??

13. Tamatha says:

Yes, it was me. Before I get flamed too much more, I should explain I was doing research for a Master’s in Education project, in which we were studying internet safety as it pertained to children. As, you know, actual research was required and I didn’t want to troll the internet looking for children, I took five of my favorite bloggers, a certain allotted time for each of them, to see what I could find. That information in the paper I wrote was annonymous, but, after several weeks, I felt that if I could find this info I should probably let these bloggers know for safety’s sake only. I was hesitant to approach them, because, c’mon, it is a little freaky. I think Chris has a lot of readers, and while I don’t know her personally, and would never show up on her doorstep to be pelted by Legos or sippy cups or whatnot, did feel a certain responsibility to relay the information. I used absolutely legal, simple, and online search devices I was probably familiar with because I’ve been looking for my dad who walked out when I was six months old. So if you have a blog, and especially if you have kids (as I do) please take a careful look through it. You’d be surprised.

14. Chris says:

Tamatha,

I was just about to explain a bit more about why you had done it. I am happy that you emailed me, which is why I said you weren’t scary freaky :-) Please don’t flame tamatha, she is only the messenger.

I think each little piece that I wrote is innocuous but when viewed as a whole let more out there than I really wanted to.

Also, I am having my site redesigned so it was the perfect opportunity to take it all down, sift through, and put it back up anew.

15. Jen says:

Thank god a real freaky, scary person didn’t figure out your exact address! I was wondering if anyone from outside of the blogosphere had ever stopped you on the streets and been like, “hey, aren’t you Chris from notes from the trenches?” To me, that would be very freaky.

16. Jill says:

Yike! I’ve been wondering about that myself, how dangerous it really is. I guess it could be much more dangerous than just being listed in the phone book or whatever.

Wow. I’m glad she let you know before some crazy figured it all out. It definately makes me think back to things I’ve posted. Also, fwiw, a blogger I love had an article about her family in a local paper I occasionally read and I realized that she lived near me. Small world things like that happen but there are people with less than honest ways of finding us.

18. Courtney says:

Tamatha - I’m glad to hear why you did this, because I was thinking that someone had WAY too much time on their hands! :)

Chris - I am quite surprised as I’ve always thought you’ve been very discreet about where you live. All I know is that it’s in the Northeast! But then, I’m not super sleuth and tend to miss a lot. LOL!

19. Maddy says:

Well, it’s always wise to be cautious. I read your blog daily and have for a long while. I have no clue beyond very general location and plus would never bother trying to find out. Also I am so absent-minded I would never be able to remember anyway. I don’t even show up at my friends’ houses unbidden.

Legos can definitely be painful if you step on them or someone flings them your way.

20. Daisy says:

Chris and Tamatha, thanks for the updates! I will be more careful in the future, or at least keep a stack of Legos at the door.

21. JustRandi says:

Tamantha-
    I think you would be doing MommyBloggers a real service by letting us know more about how you worked that system. I don’t think I give out a lot of info, but then, I didn’t think Chris did either. Maybe I’m just clueless. ( well, that goes without saying….)

22. Lisa says:

Wow, a real eye opener. I have read your blog for a short time now, and felt that you were very careful. However, it is something I have thought about since I am new to blogging. Each picture I place I examine-no that one has the name of the school, or that has a phone book in the back ground. You never know who is looking, but we are all a little more educated today. Thanks!

23. julie says:

well, as far as artillary goes, I’m guessing you have enough legos to pelt away a small army for hours on end. And given that it’s you and you’re a goddess of organization, they’re probably in nice easy totes, ready for action. Where I would be crawling under my couch going “Darn it, I know there’s a jaggedy toy under here somewhere, I just stepped on it last week and kicked it under here…hold on, I’ll be right there…”

Having JUST read your entire archives start to finish a few weeks ago, if you’re worrying about the number of people that may have been trolling for details, subtract 1. The only stalking I do of you is to try to figure out where you get all of your fabulous renovation hardware and such and where you hide the maid in all the pictures…

…oh, right, she’s the one behind the camera.

24. Chris says:

Just Randi,

I really don’t want Tamatha giving out the details of how she found me, for obvious reasons.

But everything you write is a clue. So if you mention your state, or a store you shop at that is local, or a fair you went to and casually mentioned how long it took you to drive there, or anything that could be cross referenced my other websites…

for example is there only ONE stuffmart in your state and you said it is a 30 minute drive to get there. Then go to the stuffmart website and find out where the stores are in that state.. well then you can see how each clue narrows it down.

Do you have photos up of your children wearing tshirts with their school names, etc…

25. jody2ms says:

After we chatted, I removed my archives as well and am sifted through my posts. I am in no way interested in having someone show up at my trailer door step or my stick house without prior notice.

26. JustRandi says:

Wow. No pictures of my kids at all. But as for the rest, I guess I’ll just have to go back and do some sleuthing on my own site. Thanks for the clues!

27. Marianne says:

Tamantha - Personally, I thought Chris made it clear that you were not a scary-freaky-nutjob. About ruining the archives? I meant the crazies out there, not someone looking out for “us.” Sorry if I inadvertantly insulted you in my comment. But seriously, keep going with that work! It’s important to know how secure we are. I freaked a co-worker out the other day by showing her a satellite image of her home on google maps. I think knowledge is power, but it scares me sometimes too how much is really out there and how easy it is to find out information about someone.

28. CathyC says:

OMG!!! At least a year ago I read your old stuff and all I came up with is you are in CT. That is freakish that someone would want your address! I worry about the same thing (though I’m no where near as interesting as you) and that’s why I’ve had to delete my own cousin’s comments from my blog. That girl just reveals too much info. You are doing the right thing by keeping your blog as private as you can. Now I have to go read your House Whisperers post. Bye!

29. Darren McLikeshimself says:

FOUND YOUR ADDRESS?!?!

30. CathyC says:

Damn, I just read what you wrote to Just Randi, and I’ve done that in my blog too. Sh**!

31. kathy says:

Excellent idea. We recently had someone show up on our doorstep. At the palapa. In Mexico. They’d come from Ore-freaking-gon. Now, we have our location GPS mapped via our blog, but who would have thought that we’d have a reader show up when we’re constantly on the move?

So, I TOTALLY understand.

32. Jen says:

I had a creepy ex-boyfriend find me based on my blog. I tried to be private, making sure my pics posted did not have a landmark in them, or mentioning what part of town I might be in. Kind of scary that it can be pulled together based on two-three years of my posts, but I guess if you have a lot of free time and a hankering for scarying the bejeebus out of an old ex-girlfriend, it can be done.

33. Tamatha says:

Chris,

I’m relieved you weren’t ticked when I e-mailed (I was afraid I might be BANNED), and even more relieved you’re taking action. Good luck with the archives!

34. Esme says:

I’ve only just started blogging, and that’s one of the things I’m worried about. It’s hard when you’re mid-post to think about all the other things you’ve written and make sure you haven’t given out too many pieces of the puzzle.

I’ll look forward to your edited archives, too, Chris!

I had a lady go through my old blogs about a dog I was having to get a new home. Of course, whenever the dog was mentioned it was before I got him trained….so nothing was good. She backed out of taking the dog, and we wasted a weekend waiting on her. she found a link from our house renovation site ( I didn’t know it was up there, nor did my husband), and decided to check out my personal blog.

I know it’s not the exact same thing, but the whole situation left me with a bad feeling. I’m actually wondering if blogging is worth it anymore. I, like you Chris, often post pictures of my kids. I promptly went in a deleted some of my posts.

36. Sunny says:

Oh my freaking god. You EXACT address? That’s scary.
    (Though I know why Tamatha did it.)

Gosh, I read daily and don’t even know what state you live in! I’m glad Tamatha e-mailed you before some crazy person pieced together that information. Scary!

38. Qalballah says:

I do get worried about weirdos etc. I think we do give out a lot of information. I think I remember your house number from a photo for example, but thank goodness I’m not so nuts to come and find you (although I do need some more lego…).

It’s worrying. I think I’m going to try to stalk myself to see if it’s possible….

39. jenn says:

Holy Cow! Thank you for the wake up call, Tamatha. I’ll be doing a little researching on my own site, just to see what tid-bits I’ve let slip.

40. The Wooden Porch says:

Thank you Chris, I’ve been letting my guard down more and more and I needed to hear it from someone else that I need to be more careful.

Dang too. I’ve been wanting to go back and read all your wit.

41. jen says:

Try to look at the positive. At least now you are aware of the possibility and can rectify the situation. Glad you are all ok and hope it never happens again. Some people just don’t get the privacy thing. I hope you let other bloggers know about your problem so they can take the same precautions! It is hard to believe people would take the time to gather that info, but this world is full of all kinds of crazies I guess.

42. Ruth H says:

As much as I like your writings, I have never been tempted to take time to read all the archives, I do have a life. But I’m thinking…that bear was really a reader who scouted you out!! That’s how welcome a lurker should be who goes seeking out a person’s address. I’m thinking some of the comments I’ve written weren’t all that discrete either.
    WOW!! Scary.

Tamatha,could you give us an idea of the info that helps ID a person so that we can know what to avoid sharing? I get that the info on the bookstore event could be easy to figure out, but what else? I seriously have no imagination for this stuff!

44. Kelly says:

I alerted a woman on myspace about one of her pictures. She had posted a pic of her child’s entire classroom which not only included each child’s first and last name, but the name of the school. Her profile lists the city in which she lives. Talk about making it easy, and on myspace no less!

If you want to expose your own child to stalkers/pedophiles like that, that’s your business (although I don’t agree with it). But putting that info out there about every child in that class? That’s just wrong. If I were one of the other childrens’ parents, I would be LIVID.

As soon as I told her, she took the picture down and thanked me for having the courage to tell her. She said she just didn’t think about it. I couldn’t understand how she could NOT think about it. I don’t even have kids and it totally freaked me out thinking how easily someone could have gotten to any of those kids.

Oops, just saw that Chris already addressed this!

46. Karen@FamilyBriefs.com says:

As a new blogger, I’ve been wondering about security issues - how much info I should be sharing, etc. So far, I’ve been pretty innocuous - haven’t even included my children’s names. We’ve been considering linking our personal family blog to our more public blog. Perhaps we need to rethink that decision . . . It’s all so scary - what are the odds? But, could you ever forgive yourself if something happened to one of your children because of your blog???

47. Tonja says:

Well, I think another thing everyone should be more careful about is using their last name.

You give your dh’s name… so they have that plus your last name… not to hard to find out where someone is with all that.
    How many Chris and Rob “J”’s are there in CT?!
    Very easy to find out. Even if you’re unlisted in the phone book, you probably are online somewhere. Do you know some of these peoplefinder sites include the names of your spouse and relatives with your name? Add all that, plus your age and location and they have all the info they need. And it’s FREE!!! Very scary!!

48. Barb Cooper says:

Oh my gosh! I’m new to blogging and I’ve probably done any number of these things. (Tamatha, maybe you should look at my sites!)Chris, thank you so much for bringing up this issue but I AM sorry about the archives. I read through Mir’s archives before finding my way over here and I feel like it gives the reader so much more of an understanding of where the writer has come from. My first columns are still all posted on my website in chronological order for that reason. Maybe I should rethink that! Wow, it really makes you think about how careful we all have to be because of a few weirdos who really are stalker scary. Yikes. How depressing.–Barb

49. Deputy's Wife says:

Holy buckets! Someone got your address? Scary stuff…

Not that too many read my blog, but if they ever would be so inclined to show up at my home, they would be greeted by me, the Deputy’s Wife, with the Deputy’s gun.

Now I don’t aim very good, but I am sure I could hit some body part…

50. Melanie says:

Holy CRAP, that is scary. I sort of understand you not saying she’s psycho, only that sounds utterly psycho to me - first, who really reads the entire multi-year archives, and second who tries to piece together your address? You shouldn’t have to feel unsafe about your blog, in which I think you’ve been totally discreet and non-”hey, come to my house for cookies! Here’s where I live!”

Freaky! I was just considering writing about the town we are moving to, but I probably shouldn’t. Ack. I wish I could. Too bad.

I should tell you though at when I first discovered you in the Fall of 2005, I read through all your archives. It took me a few days. (I had an infant to care for, which sort of got in the way of my Chris obsession.) But it never occurred to me to figure out where you life. Still. I read EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR POSTS. That’s sort of stalkerish. Sorry!

How many typos can I fit in one comment? Sheesh.

53. nabbalicious says:

Wow. That is VERY freaky and a big wake-up call.

54. Chris says:

I have to clarify something here. While I use my full name here and everywhere else, it is not the same last name that my husband and children have.

It is not the same name that any phone number would be listed under.

Not the same last name that my house is under. Nothing. In fact my neighbors and all probably think my last name is the same as my husbands because I really can’t be bothered with all the explanations all the time.

And my last name is wildly popular anyway. Ever hear of Michael Jordan? It is obvious we aren’t related…him being athletic and all.

I do live in CT. I am not afraid to say that. I have had other bloggers over to my house and met them at their houses. But it was planned in advance, they didn’t just show up one day.

kathy, your story is FREAKY. Did they never hear of sending an email first?

55. Nancy says:

I have thought a lot about web blog security issues, too. (I have a blog, too, which is mostly pictures of my children for my faraway relatives to see.) However, I don’t think that the fact that folks can figure out bloggers’ addresses or names is too worrisome. After all, pedophiles and the like have access to children anywhere and everywhere in real life. Having a child’s photo or name online doesn’t make them more accessible than they are when they are out in public. However, it is a little scary when I think about whether or not strangers are looking at my (very boring!) site. I have also worried about burglars or stalkers knowing when my family is out of town via our blog. I think that these family and parenting blogs are only interesting to other mothers and parents and regular, harmless folks, but you never know. Also, I agree with one of the previous comments that sometimes it is fun to try to figure out where a favorite blogger lives - maybe not an exact address, but a region or state or city. I have read your blog for a while now and I have tried to guess where you live because I’m from New England, too, and I’m a curious person and former reporter. Being home all day with kids can get boring and sometimes it can be like a puzzle or a challenge to figure out where favorite bloggers are based.

56. Maddy says:

Thank you Chris and Tamatha for the heads up, I will be taking a closer look at all my archives and making sure there is no clue as to where I, and my precious children, live.

Reality bites. I blogged our homeschool extensively for over a year (a couple of years ago). I JUST WENT AND DELETED THE WHOLE THING because I was quite naive and gave way too much personal data. Pretty much ANYONE could have found out not only my address, but probably the color of my underwear too. Live and learn. If I ever get back to blogging I will really think this issue through!

58. Allanna says:

I’ve gone through the archives, too. And all I had figured out was the state.

(Of course, I would always call/email first before dropping by. Especially since I live on the other side of the country. And I don’t feel that I’m THAT cool that everyone is dying for me to meet them in real life.)

It is good that Tamantha did that project. I would be really freaked out to have someone drop by. Now I’m definitely going to have to check out the archives on my old blog.

Thanks for giving us a heads up, though Chris. That’s really cool of you!

59. mary eileen says:

It is good that you are editing your archives because while I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog, I have worried from time to time about the saftey and well being of your family especially when you mention that your husband is out of town. For the most part I think people are normal and not wanting to do any harm but we live in a crazy world. You never know so I am glad you have the chance to rework things for the safety of your family.

60. Chris says:

Ah but mary eileen I usually hold posts back about when he is away so you all don’t even know until after he is back. I’m tricky like that ;-)

61. amy says:

I think that Tamantha did us all a great service. I personally appreciate it when people in the know clue us in as to the wiles of the internet. I am not a person who sees evil lurking, BUT it is really important for us to simply protect ourselves and our families just in case. My blog is extremely anonymous not for safety per se, but just because I am more comfortable that way, and I am technically challenged so have no clue how to post adorable pictures etc…Thank you Chris for letting us know about Tamantha and her research. I personally am very grateful.

62. elizabeth says:

I post pictures somewhere online to a group, and am careful not even to mention or show pictures of political happenings, a touring author - anything that one could piece things together from.

I don’t know if I’ll ever have an unlocked/personal blog again - for so many reasons, but this being one of them.

Tamantha - maybe you could hire yourself out for some of us that wish to find old boy friends - just kidding… :-)

Wow and holy shit! I knew you lived in CT, but I dont think you had ever given away enough information for her to find your EXACT address. The really freaky thing is imagining her sitting at her computer and scanning through all your stuff to find you. Are you sure shes not a freak? That is beyond scarey!!

64. mary eileen says:

tricky…..and smart!! very good chris now I can go worry about something else.

65. Dana says:

Hopefully the bears will get any unwanted fans who venture too near!

66. jcn says:

thanks for this. it opened up a great discussion and things for people to think about.

67. Lacy says:

Now I feel the need to do a quick rundown of what I’m currently doing on my personal blog in terms of safety: I don’t use my name or last name. I don’t use my kid’s real names. I’ve never mentioned the town or state the we live in, nearby landmarks, parks, etc. by name, and am very careful about t-shirts, signs in pictures,etc. when posting. It’s all pretty amusing to my personal friends who read my blog because I’ll say “a local petting zoo” and they all know which one I’m talking about. It still makes me nervous though….and as much as I enjoy blogging, I’m sometimes tempted to take it down for fear of weirdos.

68. Her Bad Mother says:

I had someone stalk me in a Starbucks not too long ago, and then leave comments on the blog about how (he?she?) watched me. Not creepy at all, no.

SO looking forward to sharing panel with you.

69. Brigitte says:

Wow. I’ve read the archives, and I only figured what town you live in because I’d BEEN there before. It would have never occurred to me to try to figure out which exact address, or show up on the steps only to have the guard-bears (plus 7 kids!) sicced on me. Sheesh.

70. Sunny says:

My god, Heather, did you read all the posts before yours? Tamatha is not creepy like that. It would have been bad and freaky if she had just shown up instead of e-mailing.
    But I know what you mean. The basic instinct wants to go hug the kids and lock the door.
    And. . . *shudders* Exact address. . .

71. Carola says:

Wow Chris, this is a very good thing you did here, letting us know that we should be more private..in fact, I am going to edit my posts too. By the way, when I went to read the blogher conference part where you are mentioned, I tried to click on your name to get back to your blog, but it has the wrong hyperlink, and so it takes you to a different one.

72. Molly says:

To the person who posted about the privacy at the school; where I live it is absolutely NOT ALLOWED, I think possibly even ILLEGAL to give out info about the children who attend the local preschool. Since I hadn’t paid much attention to this policy, one day I brought a camera with me when picking up my daughter at school and casually took a photo of the children in the classroom, just wanting to show my mother what my daughter’s classroom looked like. The teacher practically FREAKED OUT. She very nearly confiscated my camera and made me promise not to show the pictures to anyone but my immediate family. I promised, and thought she was overreacting but now I’m not so sure. Now I get it, and won’t be taking pictures there anymore.

73. mary eileen says:

You know I am kind of curious about something, a few months ago Chris you posted an e-mail from a certain Donald from Florida (if I am remembering correctly) and you seemed to have found out a lot of information about him just from that e-mail and you said you would not publish the information because- you were nice that way– but one of the points you were making was that no one is anonymous on the internet. If you were able to find out all of his information from an e-mail that he posted anonymously then why would someone need your archives to find you or anyone else for that matter?

74. Izaday says:

I promise I won’t be showing up at your door, but I have wondered the same thing - where you live because I absolutely love the photos of your town. Just absolutely beautiful. I wanted to write and give you a tip - occasionally when I have clicked on your photos it will sometimes take me directly to your flicker account with all your photos. Maybe you will want to upload your photos into a different account strictly for your blog or use some other method where it is not attached to your home information (photos, etc). From one mom to another, I understand your concern. I would hate to see you not blog anymore. Your blog makes me feel not so alone in the mommy world. I have an 8 year old stepson and am newly married and I have the similar sarcasm in my humor. The sarcasm was one of the first things my husband fell in love with, lately I think it just annoys him. So I appreciate your honesty and candor. But safety has to come first. I am a shop owner and it is very unsettling to have customers ask you personal questions, especially the ones you get a creppy feeling from. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know about the photo clicks. Take care,

75. Chris says:

mary eileen,

in the case of Donald I was able to trace his IP address which led me to a website where he was listed as a pastoral counselor of some sort. That had his name and address etc.

Most of us probably don’t have things like that up, or at the very least have professional vs hanging around the internet email addresses.