My children, they amuse me

My children, they amuse me

June 24, 2007

My older kids have discovered that their digital cameras are not nearly as good as mine, and as a result they are constantly taking mine to photograph things that they “must save for all posterity”

It can be such a funny glimpse into to their heads to see what they have photographed. Their breakfast, a bird in the bird feeder, their shoes, the inside of the refrigerator… I think I may have bloggers in the making.

Here we have a Luna Moth my husband caught one night and put on the kitchen counter under a glass bowl to so that the children could see it in the morning. I sort of freaked out about it, because these things are huge. It is almost like having a bat under a bowl on your counter.

Let me just say here that I am so glad my kids have him as their father to make up for me. I am so NOT the fun parent.

The next morning the kids ooohed and aaahed over it and then brought it outside to let it go. While I hid in the other room because I was afraid they would accidentally let it go IN the house.

Later on in the day when I went to download photos onto my computer, I found 112 photos of the Luna Moth.

The ground level shot:

luna moth

The close-up:

luna moth closeup

And the probably 100 that were identical to this one:

luna moth

Oh and let us not forget the obligatory Bionicle photo or thirty-two:

legoguy

Comments

1. cole says:

My son does that very same thing with our camera. He will take 20 shots of the same thing from different angles. Like, 10 pictures of the black eyed susans in our yard from varying distances. And of course 40 pictures of his pool towel, cause that is just so cool. A big white towel? 6 year olds are weird.

I love the transformer thingy clinging to your tree. They should make a movie?

You might never get your camera back.

2. Anna says:

I think you are TOTALLY the fun parent, are you kidding me??
    :-)

3. Lilly says:

Looks like your kids take great photos! …Was the moth okay after the photo shoot? Did it fly away? It’s looking beautiful but a wee bit bedraggled…

4. Amy says:

Out of lurking tonight. Mine do the same thing. The 7 year old can’t focus it and doesn’t know where to look. The 11 year old takes pictures of all his transformers!

5. kate says:

We used to do that with 35 mm film you can imagine how upset my mom was when she would develop that film. Thank goodness for Digital cameras.

6. Daisy says:

My teenager likes to take pictures. Why is that unusual? He has very little vision. He takes “Point and Shoot” to a new level.

7. Kim says:

I don’t think it’s fair that your children can take better photos than I can. Maybe I need to borrow your camera too??

8. Charlotte says:

It is so good to see I am not the only one with pictures of posed Bionicles on my camera taken by my son.

9. Karly says:

Ew, ew, ew! I would have hid in the other room as well! And then bleached the crap outta the counter!

10. MamaGeph says:

I love the gorgeous close up! What talent.

11. Suzanne says:

I once emptied the camera card onto the computer and found 80-some pictures of my son’s feet with Scooby Doo cartoons on the TV in the background. Just his feet propped in front of the TV. I kept a few because it was so funny. To this day I’m jealous because in half of the photos his feet are in focus in the foreground, and in the other half of the photos the TV is in focus in the background. How, at 4 years old, did he figure that out??

12. The Lazy Organizer says:

My kids are famous with my camera. Or infamous is more like it. Why do criminals like to document their crimes on camera? That is how I found out about the time they buried the chickens up to their necks in the sandbox. Sad but true.

13. genpoco says:

My Minion ( now 10 ) once took pictures of an entire Spongebob episode. Cause you know they never, ever repeat them. lol!

14. Brigitte says:

Ooh, those poor chickens!

That must be a magic camera you have there, Chris, even the kids photos come out good - though the subject matter is perhaps a little lacking.

15. Karen@FamilyBriefs.com says:

Anything my kids build out of blocks, Legos, sticks, leaves, etc. must be photographed so as not to be forgotten. Even cereal that is especially clustered together or a Cheeto with a funky shape must be eternally remembered! Aren’t kids funny!

16. Kris says:

Any storage tips for those bionicles?

17. Jess says:

Goodness that thing is HUGE. LOL

18. Sara says:

We found a Luna moth while hiking in the woods a couple of years ago. My kids were fascinated. Especially when we came home and asked Mr. Google about them. We found out that Luna caterpillars are huge and eat alot. Then, when they become adults, they only live for about a week. During that week they spend their time looking for a mate and then “gettin’ their groove on”. That is all they do. They don’t even EAT! I guess if you’ve only got a week to live, you gotta do something…
    So now, more than you’ve ever wanted to know about Luna moths. Yeah, I’m so NOT the fun parent.

19. Woman with Kids says:

That’s like a small plane, holy cow! And the bionicle picture? Very important.

20. Yan says:

Love the new tagline….

21. Qtpies7 says:

LOL, that sounds like adventures in camera downloading at my house! I get pictures of knees, floors, toys in weird poses, the INSIDE of a diet coke can, don’t know how that one turned out when I can’t even take a decent picture of normal things, but its interesting to see what I find on there.
    One time I busted them playing instead of cleaning while I was gone because of the photographic evidence they left behind. They did make some amazing bubbles out of the dishsoap they wasted, though!
    Your kids should pose those bionicles and make movies out of them for youTube, there are some cute lego ones out there right now.

22. Qtpies7 says:

Ooooh!!! I love the new tagline too!!!

23. Kristi says:

That is a great picture!!!!!!!!! (The ground shot!) Macro Lens on a SLR??

24. Michele says:

I HATE moths. It’s the weirdest fear ever. Despise the suckers. I would have been in the basement when they were moving it. Ugh.
    My dd takes pictures of dead bugs. Why???

25. elasticwaistbandlady says:

Moths Contained Under Escape Proof Glass=Good
    A Plague Of Unkillable Pantry Moths That Keep Coming Back Like Jason In Friday The 13th:Part 13=Bad, Bad, Verrrry Bad!
    Richard Gere In The Mothman Prophecies=Crap In Your Pants Scary

You should see the horrible pantry moths we fought last year. We homeschool, but they quickly outgrew scientific wonder and novelty. They even ate through our chocolate chip stash. Don’t believe me? Lookie here.

26. Barb Cooper says:

Once, I gave my youngest daughter one of those disposable cameras because she begged and begged and begged me to the point where it was either give in or stab myself in the forearm with a fork. I gave it to her in the grocery store and she took pictures of the band-aid aisle and then various shots of us checking out and leaving the store and then pictures inside the van as we were loading up and then two last shots of the back of my head as I was driving. In ten minutes, she had chronicled an entire grocery store nightmare. It’s very funny to look at now. Especially the band aid aisle–they don’t even MAKE some of those band aids now! See now, had I been smarter, I would have let her use a digital camera and not have paid top dollar to develop those pictures…

27. Kizmet says:

My son had his Bioncles too close to the doorway one day.

I posed them all like ballet dancers.

Of course we took pictures.

28. Sensible One says:

Ah, yes, Bionicles - they are EVERYWHERE in my house, and my van. The boys are forbidden from using my camera, although I don’t really know why! I’ll bet they would have a field day taking pictures of their Bionicles.

29. Holli Smith says:

I am so grateful that my child hasn’t discovered he can use my camera yet. He’s still in the mode of take a picture of me doing this, and this, oh and this mom… what a ham!

30. t in hdA says:

Our kids have their own digicams, too, but they prefer ours (especially the toddler). It’s always an experience uploading the pics from the camera to the computer. Among other things have been pictures of the inside of the toilet, the bum of a parent bending over while vacuuming and, my son’s favourite pic of all time, a dead mouse.