Slow down, you’re movin’ too fast

Slow down, you’re movin’ too fast

July 3, 2007

Slow down!

“I need a go to store. Buy ice cream and coffee.” As he sped away down the driveway.

Quickly it flashed before my eyes: him at 17 getting into a car. A man-child who will toss his hair back and give me a wave. “Going to the store, Mom. Be back in a few.” And he will drive away, happy for the freedom. Not giving a thought to me left behind in the driveway.

Read the rest here.

And see a vintage Miles photo that makes my heart weep.

Comments

1. sandra says:

At least he has his priorities straight!

Were it not for the hair color and the, well, concrete, that could be Dubya. I’m weeping along with you. And wishing I were with-it enough to have posted monthly letters to him as you have done. Where DOES that time go?

I looked at a picture of my son a few days ago and realized he’s not a toddler but a little boy now. It put a crack in my heart. My little boy is growing fast!!!

3. Lisa says:

I love the photos and the post.

4. elasticwaistbandlady says:

“He’s Got A Fast Trike, Fast Enough That He Can Fly Away…..”

Thinking of my youngest mini-infidel, Melody, leaving my side makes me cry. Listening to and looking at Tracy Chapman makes me cry too.

5. Jaime says:

They do grow up so fast. That was a great post.

6. Lilly says:

Adorable, handsome and funny Miles.

I share the perpetual joy and grief of enjoying and losing my baby and then toddler and so on with you, and with all of us moms (and dads) who feel the minutes going by slowly but the months and years whizzing by.

7. Karen@FamilyBriefs.com says:

Sweet sentiments! Of course, the reality is when he turns 17, he probably won’t be very interested in making a grocery run for his mom! Sorry - he’ll be more interested in going to meet up with some girl :)

8. Daisy says:

You can hope he’ll get dressed first when he’s seventeen. At least he has his priorities straight: ice cream and coffee.

Oh, my heart!

10. Dana says:

“Through the pain, I savor it.” I think you just summed up all of parenthood in 6 words.

11. Blythe says:

At least he has his priorities in check.. ice cream and coffee, the staples of my life. I know how you are feeling. Today is my middle son’s 6th birthday, it seems like just yesterday he was this little ball of pudge cuddling in my arms. And next week he is starting 1st grade :(

12. becky says:

oh man, this is killing me, and mine is still safely tucked away! it reminds me that i will need to pay attention to his baby-ness when he comes, take lots of pics, and enjoy it while i can. that first year will go by too quickly.

13. Sue says:

Enjoy every moment, they really do fly by!! Your pictures are adorable!

Sue

14. CaliforniaGrammy says:

Precious times to remember. Thank God for photographs to help us remember. Our daughters are your generation so now we savor those moments watching our grandchildren growing up so fast. Great blog, Chris!

15. Cheryl M. says:

I am the mom with the 17 year old….the years have flown by oh so quickly, but the picture ahead appears very beautiful and hopeful! My husband said for years he was going to invent a shrinking machine - sometimes I wish he would have and other times I’m glad he didn’t. :)
    Happy Fourth to you and your beautiful family, Chris!

16. Woman with Kids says:

At least he’s getting good stuff… My oldest is already talking about drivers ed, only 3 years to go. It goes too fast.

17. Marie says:

Chris, I feel your pain. My baby will be 11 on Friday. I have know idea where the time went.

Marie

18. Julie says:

This made me cry. I have 3 babies (5 yrs., 2 yrs., 6 mo’s)
    and I feel so overwhelmed at times. As soon as I read this I hugged my “terrible” 2 year old and played “trains” with him. I need to play and laugh with my babies more.
    I will do so from now on.
    I love this site.