My other child had holes put in her head on purpose

My other child had holes put in her head on purpose

July 6, 2007

Picking out the earrings was very exciting. Once I convinced her that she couldn’t have the 4ct diamonellas, she picked out a really cute flower pair of earrings.

thrilled

We ended up going to the mall to have her ears pierced, since the body piercing place was not open. Anyone with a 4 yr old knows that they will not change their plans. I am just glad I didn’t read all your comments before.

The first ear went off without a hitch. She said it hurt and made a bit of a sad face.

Then the next ear made her whimper a bit. And I asked the woman if she ever had a kid leave with just one ear done, which was a fear I had.

a little unsure about the second ear

But then, we had to redo the second ear because it was in the wrong spot. I’m not sure if my daughter moved her head or the woman was just off, but the tears came when we said it would have to be redone. But only for a few minutes until she saw her sparkly ears.

the Disney store

But shopping at the Disney Store and buying a new pair of Lelli Kelly shoes made her all better again. What you don’t know what Lelli Kelly shoes are? Here is a link, but put your sunglasses before you click.

lunch with grandma

Then we went out to lunch. I thought I had a litany of dietary restrictions, but my mother in law has me beat. Our waiter was so helpful and had suggestions for us that were fabulous. I left him a ridiculously large tip, percentage wise, but it is so rare to find someone who is helpful I thought it deserved recognition.

Then we shopped some more.

And I bought myself more clothes that my husband says I don’t need. But what does he know.

Comments

1. elizabeth says:

What a day of memories for her, and you! She is just a joy to behold - even vicariously.

I can’t believe however that the one ear had to be re-pierced! What a brave, and determined trooper she is!

I love the pic of her holding gram’s hand, and smiling beside her. AWWW!

2. Angie says:

Love those shoes! She totally deserved them after having to redo an ear!

3. Chris says:

I didn’t even know that they could redo an ear. Is it OK? Gosh she is so cute, looks like all your cute lil’ ones. You can sure tell they are all related. What a great pix of her with Gram. Super memories. I still can’t believe that photography is not what you do for a living. Oh, I meant besides raising kiddles.

4. Barb Cooper says:

You’d been through so much. OF COURSE you needed them! Dude… get a freaking “my daughter has just made an irreversible decision and I was with YOUR mother” clue. Dumb ass.

I mean, just for that moment and all. Not for all time since we like him.

Barb

5. Deputy's Wife says:

Great pictures Chris! I did have to avert my eyes somewhat. I get a little queazy… When I saw the picture of her holding her grandma’s hand… I thought, oh wow, her mom thinks of everything. She has her own little barf bag. Then I realized she was probably holding the store bag with purchased earrings in it. I am crazy, I know…

I loved the post, and LOVED the little shoes. Makes me long for a little girl. Sometimes.

6. Jodi says:

Owie! I didn’t know they could “re-do” an earring. I am glad she likes them and let you do them both.

And what does he mean you don’t need clothes? He must of meant HE didn’t need any clothes. ;)

7. Lacy says:

So, so sweet. Dammit. Here I thought I was okay with only having my 3 boys. Who am I kidding? I just HAVE To have a daughter too! MicroSort, here we come…..

8. Maddy says:

It is such a memorable day, looks like you all had a great time and those shoes …. awsome.

9. Carrie says:

Nothing like jewlery, shopping, shoes and lunching for a perfect girly girl day like that (except the re-doing the piercing part, OUCH!).

She looks so pleased with those sparkly ears!

10. meredith says:

I have promised my seven year old pierced ears if she practices and and improves her reading skills in the coming months. Like your daughter, she keeps begging for sparkly ears. I find this funny because her older sister isn’t even interested.

11. Divrchk says:

Great photos! I can’t believe they had to redo the second hole. Will the hole just close? It’s not close enough to the redo that it could meld into one hole, is it?

12. Brigitte says:

I can feel her happiness just beaming straight out of my computer screen at me, you did good!

(and you SHOULD be rewarded with clothes, or does he WANT you to be a dowdy, frumpy hausfrau in a polyester, polka-dot housedress?)

13. dcrmom says:

Aw, what a FUN day. My 4 y/o keeps debating about getting her ears done. She’s afraid it’s going to hurt. Your daughter looks ADORABLE!

14. theotherbear says:

love that last photo. just gorgeous!

15. Sleeping Mommy says:

Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing the experience with all of us.

Oh and I love those shoes. I bet my girl would too.

16. Sara says:

The shoes, the shoes! Your kid knows her stuff. What a wonderful day of memories for all three of you. Still, I would’ve liked to have seen pictures of grandma in a tat/piercing parlor.

17. Lisa says:

All of the photos are great, but I think that the last one of your daughter with her Grandma is just priceless. What a fantastic memory for your little girl to get to have!

18. Kyran says:

your new clothes? what happens at the mall, stays at the mall.

love the picture of grandmother’s hand in granddaughter’s.

19. Kim says:

She is precious! I’m so happy she got her day! I wasn’t allowed until I was 10 and I still wish I had been able to do it earlier. As soon as my girls showed ANY interest, we were off to the ear piercing station. I had my first daughter’s pierced at age 5, second at age 4. My husband likes to joke that I’ll have my one year old’s pierced by the end of the year. My oldest could not wait to change out her earrings. In fact, we probably took them out too early. We waited the required 6 weeks, to the day, but I read up on it later and some people recommend waiting two full months. For a couple of months we had some redness and oozing, but that finally stopped when we put a pair in for like 2 weeks and didn’t change them. Now she’s got a gazillion pairs, but rarely changes them out. My second daughter got her ears pierced in December and still hasn’t changed them out. She’s scared that putting new earrings in will be piercing them again. She doesn’t want any new earrings, doesn’t want to ever change them out, and says that she will still be wearing her “birfstones” when she’s all grown up. And I’m actually OK with that. A healthy respect for body piercing is good in my book.

20. diatribal says:

Aw. I’m a little misty. Baby girl is 20 months old…and this whole ordeal is headed my direction in the not terribly distant future.

I’m glad all was well in the end. Its amazing what a new pair of shoes can do for a girl (big OR little!!)

21. kate says:

I left the mall with just one ear pierced. I am suprised they did not do two at the same time with two technicians. Your daughter is very brave when I was 4 I got them done and like I said left and had to go back the next day!

My mom was horrified.

Shopping with the girls is so much fun. I will always remember the day I got my ear pierced my mom and my mom’s sister who is no longer with us (died of breast cancer when I was 15) they took me and we made a day of it.

22. heather white says:

my sister refused to have the second one done. my mom bribed her with pumpking ice cream and a bagel. my six year old has no desire to get her ears pierced, which is fine with me.

she looks adorable with her new sparklies. what an exciting day!

23. Jamie says:

She looks so brave, not to mention downright adorable! My 5-year-old wants her ears pierced but I am trying to hold out. However, we both would have trouble resisting those shoes!

And good for you for shopping for yourself a little. ;)

24. Karen says:

What an awesome memory for her! The picture of her and grandma is priceless!

What a brave little girl you have there.
    I love the picture of Grandma holding her hand. Sweeeet.

26. Melessa says:

I had no idea that Lelli Kelly shoes existed. Most of my little brood are girls. This is going to be expensive…Thanks for posting the pictures.

27. qtpies7 says:

How ridiculous to have to redo an ear! I’d be pretty mad, she should have been a better piercer to be doing children’s ears. Children are not guinea pigs!
    I get my girls done at 6 months old. I would do it earlier,but my husband makes me wait that long. I want them done before they can reach up and play with them. 8 months is too old, we found out with our first dd, she would freak whenever we walked by the jewelry counter after that, lol. I make sure that the ear piercing place can do both ears at the same time, too. Keeps them from jumping at the second one.
    Now that my girls are older, we just buy the piercing kits and do them at home. (we’ve had some holes close up from not wearing earrings, and second holes in teenagers)
    Your daughter is a trooper!

28. Lori says:

What a great day for all of you and it looks like Grandma had just as much fun as your daughter! Great memories for everyone!

29. Frauke says:

The last picture is my favorite of all time. You can see how those two just adore each other!!

Oh I am passing out from the cuteness. Or maybe it’s the thought of re-doing that sweet thing’s ear. OR even better, maybe it’s because now, I have to have those shoes for my girl. Geez, what an influence you have on me.

What a great day filled with memories for you all!

31. Annalise says:

Oh, I adore Lelli Kelli shoes! I felt so sad the other day when I walked past a shoe store on the high street and saw them in the window, and realised that I will never again have a girl little enough to love such shoes. :-(

32. bombaygirl says:

Too cute for words. Chris, who makes that adorable top she’s wearing? I would love to get one like that for my daughter.

33. ChristieNY says:

She’s absolutely precious, and what special memories you created and captured! I’m so proud of you!

PS: My little sister had one ear pierced and refused to have the second done. My Mom took her out for ice cream and brought her back for the second one! LOL

Have a great weekend!

34. Maine Mom says:

My 6 year old daughter would have been one of the children with one hole in her head if the store she went to had done one ear at a time!

Your daughter is very brave, and adorable!

35. liz says:

Cool beans. What a lovely day.

36. Monique says:

Did nana buy the shoes:)?

They are adorable..but not as adorable as your Princess..Love her little bracelet too!

Now..is that with flash on..or off:)?

I am the most conservative looking girl/nana..and at one point had 5 holes.. 3 on one.. 2 on the other:) tasteful ones~

37. Leeann says:

Hi Chris,

I wanted to give you some feedback on the ear piercing that might be helpful to you, particularly since you suffer from so many allergies yourself. My daughter, age 12 now, got her ears pierced about a year ago and ended up reacting over time to the metals in them, even though they were they hypo-allergenic, nickel free kind. Supposedly. Anyway, we let them close up and heal for well over a half year and then I used a sterile piercing kit from Simply Whispers.com to repierce her ears. All the jewelry they have is super- allergy tested and has been the only earrings that seem to cause her no effect. I don’t sell them or make anything off them but I thought you might want to know with your history of allergies.
    The catalog can be viewed at Simplywhispers.com.
    Take care. I loved your photos and it looks like she was exTREMEly brave!
    Leeann
    niccofive.blogspot.com

38. The Veggie Vixen says:

What a fun day and yeah, what does your husband know? Enjoy your new clothes. I hope your daughter enjoys her shoes and the earings. I guess it’s too late now but here’s a tip that may help your readers…when making an ear piercing appointment ask if the salon carries two guns and if it’s possible to have the ears pierced at the same time. This minimizes any discomfort. Also, here in Canada there are freezing creams available at pharmacies that can be safely used on children.

39. Mary@notbefore7 says:

What a beautiful memory!

40. Melissa says:

I told my daughter she had to wait until she was 12 but now I’m rethinking it…so cute!

41. sandra says:

I don’t plan on getting my daughter’s ears pierced anytime soon for all the reasons you weren’t going to. And if I had the same one reason you do, I’d do it gladly. Wise mom.

42. Andrea Q says:

I second the vote for Simply Whispers! They are the only earrings that my aunt and daughter can wear.

43. Jessica says:

She’s so cute and I love the pictures :) How funny kids are about shoes. My son would have evvery color of Croc if we let him LOL.

44. Elizabeth says:

For both of my daughters they used two techs and pierced both at the same time - in two different states. Thank goodness! We just get the “sensitive ears” earrings at Claire’s and they work fine (nickel allergies).

45. wendy says:

So cute!!

This must be the weekend for ear piercing. My 5 year old woke up yesterday morning and decided she MUST get her ears pierced TODAY. She had not really expressed much of an interested before now.

Off we went…and she did great. And I think we may have ended up with the same flower earings.

LOVE those shoes. Seriously.

47. Jordana says:

She’s so cute. My girls would adore both the earrings and the shoes.

I didn’t get my ears pierced until I was 19, and I seriously contemplated not getting the second ear pierced. It hurt. She’s a brave girl.

48. Gift of Green says:

She *needed* those shoes. And Miles needs a pair of shoes too…due to his injury. And you need another pair too, due to your…um…dealing with lots of holes in heads. :)

49. nabbalicious says:

She looks so much like you! I love those pictures, and those shoes are darling.

Sounds like a perfect day!

50. Laura says:

I’m glad all went well with the piercing. There was a story in the local paper this week about a woman who called 911 when a 3 or 4 y/o was crying while getting her ears pierced at Walmart. The police removed the woman who called 911, and the little girl left with one piercing (which her mom removed - she says she’ll try again in a few years).

51. Ashley says:

How exciting and what a little trooper to get the ear pierced the 2nd time.

52. Keryn says:

Hey, what a cute bracelet she’s wearing! (Hee hee)

53. Darren McLikeshimself says:

You’ve been getting some terrific photos of these kids lately.

54. maria says:

I was thinking of this post this weekend and how important it is to be flexible and how important these memories are we’re hopefully creating in our kids. My daughter is 3 and at first I thought - 4 is way too young for earrings - but you’re right - and I hope I’ll remember it when something like this arises. What a great Mom. Thanks for teaching me something!