Today is the day

Today is the day

July 10, 2007

to wistfully remember when all I needed to bring for an afternoon at the beach was a towel, a water bottle, and a book.

Comments

You mean there was a time that swimming required less than full size jumbo bag full of junk. I can’t quite remember that time!!!

2. Eli says:

Just remember–that day will come again, though it may seem like a long ways away. It’s like that James Taylor song “The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time…” not that you have a problem with that, because you don’t. ;-)

3. Deborah says:

Ditto. Now with my kids and their friends it’s an event. And I live only a hop, skip and jump from the beach. :) Which would explain why we now have a pool in our back yard. Unlimited swimming, no sand - of course, no peace and quiet.

4. Mir says:

That’s why you’re not around to entertain me, because you’re at the beach filling your van with sand? DAMMIT.

Ah, I remember those days.

6. paula says:

I am packing for a day at the beach also and you would think we are spending a week there the way these kids are packing.
    I caught one of the kids packing a pillow from his bed.

7. Karen@FamilyBriefs says:

Ahhhh, those were the good ‘ole days! We’re headed to the waterpark, and I’m packing a bag for each child - and we’ll only be there a couple of hours!!! Sometimes it doesn’t seem worth the effort (at least not until you see them running and splashing in the water)

8. Cheryl M. says:

Have Fun!!! :)

I’ve been longing for the days when my pool bag was wee and cute enough to actually carry to happy hour AFTER the pool.

Also the days when the pool was followed by happy hour. Or when the pool WAS happy hour.

Sigh.

10. CathyC says:

It’s the same now times 8, minus the book, plus toys, and sunscreen, and snacks, and maybe a camera, and some Tylenol….

11. Kathleen says:

You did pack Margaritas RIGHT?

12. Barb Cooper says:

I once wrote a whole column about packing now that I have children. It wasn’t just a trip to the beach, though.

And then we just went on vacation back to the same place and it was a totally different experience. Now I find that I don’t really know what to do when I’m just packing for ME.

Not to mention that my swimsuit is no longer some cute string thing with minimal coverage. These days, my swimsuits look more like they are government issued. As in: the Russian government.

Sigh.

13. Marianne says:

Today is the day that I’m staying inside and becoming one with the air conditioner.

14. Jodi@OC says:

Our entire back half of our van gets buried in inflatables, towels, shoes, coolers, and sand everytime we go to the beach.

Today is freeeeeeezing here. I am sitting in a sweatshirt, jeans, and socks. I haven’t worn socks for like a WHOLE month. *sigh*

15. Eve says:

I lived in CA for the past eight years, I had kids for 5 of those years…WHY DIDN’T I APPRECIATE THE FIRST 3 YEARS OF SOLITUDE!!!!!

16. Christina says:

Have fun!!!

17. Faerylandmom says:

Hm. I think I’m just happy to go to the grocery store when hubby’s home, so I can use my “little purse.” That’s about it. Everywhere else, bring on the stuff, right?

18. Laura says:

Just don’t forget the kid’s snacks …

19. Chrissi says:

love.the.beach.

Here in Florida we have the most beautiful beaches.

20. dcrmom says:

Oh no kidding. I could just insert the word “Pool” for “Beach”. I just took my 3 to the pool for the first time this summer. We lasted all of 40 minutes, and it about took all I had in me.

21. Kitty says:

Yeah, BeforeKids… vacations were relaxing! Those days are gone (but I wouldn’t change a thing). Check out BeforeKids.com, lots of humorous reflections on the pre-kid days.

22. MsRebecca says:

Those were definitely the says.. my 6 year old found it very amusing recently to pour sand down mommy’s pants.. So funny I forgot to laugh and then started to cry once i remembered how horrible sand a** feels..

23. hamiam says:

:nods: and adds a tired, “I dunno how you do it!”

Chris rocks.