Summer has swallowed me whole

Summer has swallowed me whole

July 13, 2007

Susan had a great post up about summer having swallowed her whole. So great in fact that I am stealing the title for my post. Not only am I tired, I am also unoriginal. Yea, me!
Deadlines, self imposed and otherwise, having fun, or “fun” as the case might be, and just trying to enjoy it all in spite of myself– all of it has engulfed me.

If I have to tell my kids to close the screen door one more time I might have to lock them outside.

I was writing a “day in the life” post yesterday, which I obviously never posted, in part because it is taking me longer to write about my day than it did to live it.

Non sequitur Alert: When I was wistfully talking about our next house in some far away perfect place, my husband told me that he fears I will never be happy. He said it like it was a bad thing. I think that is just the beauty of me. Bring me anywhere and the sarcasm and bad attitude come too. But deep down, ouch. He is probably right.

My 8 yr old son told me the other day that he thinks he is the luckiest kid in the entire world because he got to go to the beach AND have ice cream on the same day. Really? Is that all it takes?

100B61301

Ah to be so carefree again. And able to spin around without getting nauseous.

Comments

1. Christina says:

We forget, as responsible adults, that life sometimes is just about having fun :) Here’s to focusing on relaxing and enjoying the moments… a constant reminder in my house.

2. Common Mom says:

It is so great that they are so easy to please. My kids wanted to go to the driving range - every day this week I tried to take them, but the minute we got there, it started to rain. Every day I said I was sorry we couldn’t go, and every day they both said “That’s OK. You tried. It’s not your fault that it’s raining!”

Having fun one day at a time :-)

3. KathyB says:

I said the same thing to my husband last week..only he responded that he appreciated me keeping us moving forward..was he only being nice? kinda like telling me ass doesn’t look big in my skin tight jeans?

ps…it is several scoops of ice cream in one day that makes it for me and I found a gluten free beer (yes alcoholic) it is called “red bridge” I think…I tried it yesterday @ work we now carry it and it tasted just fine. look it up you might want to indulge!

4. Dana says:

Oh, how I wish I could go back to the day of being carefree and not worrying about what other people thought!

5. Tonya says:

My dd told me the other day (the 4th) that “it was the best day she ever had” because she saw fireworks and had ice cream in one day. I want to be that complacent too!

6. Wendy says:

I made a promise to myself this summer not to worry about things. Like, eating healthy all the time, classes for anything, getting anywhere on time or any of the other things I worry about the other 9 months of the year. I think I did pretty good this year. Although, we havent made it to the Aquarium or Children’s Musuem to see the Mr. Rogers exhibit. I guess we will live.

If life was only perfect from a trip to the beach and ice cream.

7. Christine says:

My husband calls it “contentment issues.” My job lately has been working on my attitude of gratitude.

ps, In college, I threw up *on* my friend while riding a Tilt a Whirl - I can’t even look at anything that spins!

8. Barb Cooper says:

Chris–you are the mother of small children! I mean, older kids, too, but small children! Even when someone else is watching them, you are on duty. It is ALWAYS your watch. I bet you will seem happier to your husband (if it works for you the way it worked for me) when you don’t feel like the only thing standing between total anarchy and some sort of organized chaos is YOU. Motherhood is a fabulous thing but its downside is sometimes under-explored –there are a thousand thankless tasks to do every day. And then one day you realize that you haven’t changed a diaper in three years, your kids are happily occupied and you’ve gone to the bathroom BY YOURSELF all week long.

(And then you get to wonder if you wished it all away too fast. Wait, maybe that’s just me.)

Seriously, every mother has thought, “dang, shouldn’t I be more fulfilled? I don’t want a different job, exactly… but this kind of, sort of… sucks. Just a little.” I don’t think men (sorry for the gross stereotyping here) really “get” what all is entailed in being a mom and running a house and trying to remain a “fun” partner. Don’t beat yourself up for not being Stepford enough. I’m just saying…

9. qtpies7 says:

Even though my kids are all home all day, I don’t feel like summer has even started, when it actually quickly speeding toward an end!
    We really have done nothing as a family so far. Its a bummer.
    Camping and famil reunions will be starting soon, then comes the county and state fairs, and it will feel so much more summery!

10. Esme says:

I always marvel at what makes a day “the best” for my kids. It’s always something that I think is little — ice cream, of course, but a couple of days ago became “the best” for my 9-year-old boy because I gave him a piece of chocolate-flavored Bubble Yum. (Honestly, I thought it was gross, but he’s been on a gluten-free and casein-free diet for four years now, and is so far removed from the taste of milk chocolate that I thought he might like it. He thought it was the best thing EVER). My toddler thinks it’s “the best day” if she gets to bring her stuffed mousie with her to school.

Alas, it gets harder as they get older… my 13-year-old daughter’s day was crowned when a certain boy apparently noticed her at camp. “The best day” for her = “heart palpitations” for me…

11. julie says:

Swimming and ice cream in one day? I agree. The perfect summer day.

12. Lisa says:

My 10 year old’s best day is when I play a board game with her. I should do it more often–it’s really not that hard. On the flip side, I should be working on what makes a good day for my teen. That is a daily struggle for me. Being a mom is tough, draining, and thankless. But reading your blog for a short time, I can see that you do TONS with your kids and “tomorrow” will be the best day for another reason.

13. Daisy says:

Beach and ice cream = happiness
    What a wonderful formula.

14. Shannon @ Rocks in my Dryer says:

Yes! Swallowed whole here too. Adore the family togetherness usually, but the last few days? About to kick ‘em all to the curb! ;)

BlogHer is coming at just the right time to get a way for a little “breather”, isn’t it?

15. Elizabeth says:

It’s funny how I look forward to summer like it is going to be one exciting, action-packed day after another, and then it turns out to be just regular days, but with more time outdoors and more ice cream. But still better than winter!

Beach and ice cream sounds like a good day to me.
    My kids think if they don’t have to put on shoes for a whole day, then it was a good one.

I get nauseous when I stand up too fast.

What? I do!

I blame the kids. And summer. And all the ice cream.

18. coloradomommy says:

OMG, the screen door. It will be the death of all of us.

I’m jealous. Wish it were that easy for me to have the perfect day!

And I think my husband feels the same way about my happiness.

20. Carrie says:

Summer must be getting full because it’s swallowed myself and nearly everyone I know.

Oh, to be made happy by the beach and ice cream would be such a gift!

21. Angie says:

Oh yes –that darn back door!! I go crazy every time my husband hollers for the kids to close it because he’s not paying to cool the outside. When they finally remember to close the door the air conditioner is off because its a cool day!! Do all husbands act like this?

22. Edumomma says:

Yep… sometimes I feel like locking the door and not letting anyone in. Thankfully, my husband realized I had enough for the week, and the sleep deprivation was killing (my ten month old would rather play at 4am than sleep;()so he gave me a few hours to myself to sleep, and hang out all by myself. Then I just had to resist the temptation to clean. Maybe your husband or a family member or even a friend can grant you a few hours of alone time. It’s amazing what a few hours alone will do. You might even miss your kids. :)

23. poppy fields says:

I think my husband has said the same thing to me, too. If I could recapture that amazing happiness I felt as a carefree child, I would.

24. Joy H says:

carefree…….if life were as simple as ice cream and swimming; no wonder I love the pool & beach so much. Counting the days until our vacation at the beach and days of donuts for breakfast topped off with ice cream in the afternoon. (well for the kids at least)

25. Anat says:

I’ve been following your blog with admirtion for a while now. I find it truly amazing that you can both homeschool 7 children AND be a homemaker AND find time to write so much (and so beautifully). I don’t understand though, why summer is more difficult for you than winter (or fall or spring), if your kids don’t leave home to go to school during the school year, and you never really get a break from them. I would think that the rest of the year would be just as difficult.

26. Anna says:

Okay, Chris, right now you have at least one child who will not be staring at you from across the therapist office in a decade. Seriously, if he is content with dairy products, water, sunshine and clean air…How cool is that?

In your defense, I consistently appreciate the beauty of your sarcasm. Rob, maybe not so much, but you know is he a guy. Sheesh!

27. Brigitte says:

My husband has also worried aloud that he would never be able to make me happy. I’ve assured him that I could win the most enormous Powerball jackpot ever and have everything I’ve ever dreamed of, and I’d still be bitching and moaning about stuff, because that’s just me.

It helps lighten me up for a moment when I’ve just played a couple hours with my toddler and I’m feeling drained, and she looks at me and declares “It’s a perfect day, mommy”.

28. CathyC says:

Your son is a wonderful boy, and can he please bottle some of that goodness and ship it over to our house ASAP?
    My husband has said pretty much the same to me a while ago. I’m trying to prove him wrong, and I think I’m doing OK :)

29. Gift of Green says:

Yeah, why is it that I can’t even turn around three times as an adult without getting nauseous? As a kid I would routinely go on the Turkish Twist where I was whipped around at incredible speeds and then stuck to the wall as the floor dropped. Never phased me. Now as an adult I almost vomited on The Teacups.

30. Chris says:

Anat,

Because in the summer there is the screen door! ARGH!!!

Seriously though, I think in summer there is the expectation of fun all the time, coupled with baseball, being outdoors all the time which, for the younger ones, requires that *I* be out there also, home renovations kicked into high gear, filthy, dirt playing children who drag the dirt in all over the house, etc.

31. Christine says:

We also have the cat that wants to escape through the back screen door as it slams all day long. So, we have a scat mat … which shocks the bare feet of the neighborhood kids. If it’s not slamming, it’s loud “OUCH’s!”

It has been fun … sort of. However, I found myself spending all last night working through our school calendar for the coming year. I’m looking forward to the routine. I think I’m also looking forward to everyone else’s kids being back in school, because as much as I’ve always wanted to have the “house where all the kids hang out” … you kinda’ want them to all go away sometimes! :)

32. Laura says:

“… taking longer to write about my day than it did to live it …” I love this phrase and I can relate.

33. MsRebecca says:

I spent the day at the pool with 6 kids (not all were mine)
    It appears that I was swimming all day.. I never went near the water.. Do think they would notice if I went upstairs and took a nap? Where does all that energy come from!

34. maria says:

That is a FABULOUS picture. Thanks for showing it.