sweden has taken over one more room

sweden has taken over one more room

July 14, 2007

I finally put together the IKEA furniture that I bought for the bedroom that my 6 and 8 yr old share. And I let my younger children help put it all together, which was an exercise in patience. Also it allowed me to use my deep lamaze breathing, which was never one bit effective during childbirth, to keep myself from shouting things like, “Hurry up!” or “Let me do it!” or the ever effective, “We are going to be here all day!”

So it took about 5 times as long as it would have taken had I been able to do it myself. Ahhhhh, but we have the memory to hang on to. Which for me includes the metallic taste of blood from biting my own tongue.

But even though they were s-l-o-w they were able to use the little tools and read the directions. And it warmed my heart because at the very least the can work on an assembly line somewhere when they grow up and support themselves.

Rob and I have been working on finishing the butler’s pantry in our house, which sadly does not come with a butler. Shocking, right? I looked in every cabinet and NO butler.

This morning we were working on installing the new wood floor. It is such a small closet sized room that we fully anticipated it taking no time. But we were wrong. We have so many cuts and weird angles to fit around the cabinets that several hours later we were still less than half way done. And then we had to pack it up because my oldest son had baseball game.

If only the floor could be installed with those tiny little allen wrenches, I’d totally let the kids do on their own and not complain once about how long it was taking.

Comments

1. Divrchk says:

Pictures! We need pictures!

2. Anna says:

See, the beauty of your sarcasm shines through on this post. Because in days filled with flooring installation, furniture assembly and ball games a bit of wisecracking is a necessary coping tool.

I love this post. I don’t know why, I just do.

Possibly, it’s the wine I had with dinner. Hmm.

4. Anna says:

No pictures? I dream of IKEA…we don’t have one in my state…or even one in a close neighboring state. Also, I hear they serve snacks…is that true?

5. Modern Organic Mama says:

Nice site! You have beautiful photos. Wow seven kids. I thought I had a lot with three. Cudos to you. Come visit me sometime.
    Shelby

6. Wendy says:

What do you mean no butler in the butler’s pantry? It is right there in the name. Oh no, when I get one (Yes, I will have one) it better come with a butler or there will be hell to pay. Are you sure he is not under the floor? I mean it would totally be worth it to pull up all the floor boards to get him out?

7. Jackie says:

No butler? Take it back and get a full refund! Outrageous! Mine has a butler and he’s WONDERFUL . . . Oh, yeah, that was in my dreams. Sigh.

8. Lazy Housewife says:

They can work on an assembly line! LOL! Your blog is hilarious (sorry to laugh so hard at your life!), thanks for such a great read.

9. CathyC says:

Ummm, pictures? where o where are the pictures???!!!! My morning will be ruined if I can’t see the pics! puleeeezzzzz.

10. K.B. says:

10 MORE DAYS until I get to blog about the insanity that is assembling Ikea furniture!! …without having to drive 4 hours to get to one. I can’t WAIT!

I am currently looking at furniture for Jack’s new room. Most likely, it will come from IKEA. I am sometimes a little spooked by the idea that he will have the exact same bedroom as millions of kids around the world. And I will have the exact some office. And our guest bedroom will look like a page out of the IKEA catalog too. Except maybe we won’t have everything so perfectly organized.

12. onetallmomma says:

The money I spent on the hypnobirthing class was the best money I ever spent. Funny really, because I did before child number 4 so that my(now ex)hubby could bone up on his labor helping skills. It worked while I was in labor, up until the point that my midwife ordered me out of bed because according to her I was going to hypnobirth myself into a 5 day labor. She sent me on a walk with my sisters to get coffee from Starbucks…for them. They thought I was a riot as I walked down the street with what felt like a broomstick up my butt, cussing the whole way.

Anyway, whenever I need to go to my calm place, which happens far too frequently for my taste, those old hypnobirthing skills are invaluable. Especially when the blood flows.

13. Jenny says:

Wow, I can’t believe you let your kids put together the furniture! I would’ve definitely locked them out of the room and done if myself after 5 minutes. Perhaps one day I will learn patience, when I grow up.

14. Redsy says:

Well hallooo Chris,
    I finally got organized to check you out… You have a passle o’ kids just like me…
    and you’re a very wise woman to train the little buggers to help out.

Look forward to reading more

rachael

15. Carrie says:

I love IKEA furniture!!!!

16. Eli says:

Pictures! PLEASE PLEASE post pictures. I really want to see which of the children’s furniture you have chosen and how it all fits. I am always trying to figure this out.

P.S. Your blog on organizing children’s toys and play areas totally inspired me. My toddler’s room is so much better now–and how happy we all are! What a difference.

17. Fairly Odd Mother says:

I take the kids to Ikea for a playdate. Seriously. The kids’ area and then that drop-off play area are heaven! And then the cafeteria with the little chairs and meatballs and french fries! I think that is where the butler is—in the cafeteria. I must’ve been very good in a previous life to have an Ikea open within 15 minutes of my house.

18. fidget says:

So when you are done, you can come on over and do my floors right? ive got 1000 sq ft of the stuff stacked up and waiting.

19. Melissa says:

Good for you for leting the kids help! It means so much to them, and it’s such a great learning experience. I’m a total IKEA junkie. I’m such a nerd — I love that the instructions don’t have words, just pictures. That’s my kind of learnin’!

20. Esme says:

We did our own floors. Never again. They look beautiful — 4-inch-wide pre-finished maple planks — but, never again. And the coat closet was the hardest part to do… it’s tiny, but it’s double-deep, and we thought, “This’ll go quickly.” But it was insane and took ages and thank goodness it’s a closet, because it looks like we laid the floor with our eyes closed in there.

I love IKEA. *swoon*

21. Kristen says:

we too have the “at least he’ll be able to support himself in an assembly line” position motto over here. And he can also be a chair tester/drawer tester in lieu of the machine that does it to the cabinets at IKEA to show you that really, no really, you can close that door at least 20,000 times before the handle falls off.