Can’t win all of ‘em

Can’t win all of ‘em

July 17, 2007

The agony of defeat:

Walk of the Defeated

Oh what to say about baseball that hasn’t already been said. It is always disheartening when your child’s team is trampled over in a game. TRAMPLED.

The Agony of Defeat

This week the championship round of games begins. So only two or three more games left this season. Thank God.

Also, post up here today.

Comments

1. Gigi says:

Ouch, I’m having a flashback. Been there, done that. It is painful.

2. poppy fields says:

Poor guys. Maybe they’ll have a little better luck with their next games.

3. Karen@FamilyBriefs says:

So glad we don’t do sports! We signed up for Tae Kwon Do 3 years ago, and the boys have never asked about any sports (yet :)

4. Spinoff says:

May I just say, as the mother of four academically gifted and athletically pathetic sons, that there’s no excuse for more than a 10-point differential in any kid game? My sons were on a soccer team that got skunked 23-0 a few years ago; the entire losing team was in tears. The opposing coach should have been making his guys shoot with their non-dominant feet, or pass the ball, or SOMETHING. That’s why, when the same sons were named National Merit Scholars, my inner child pointed at the coach and screamed “And how are YOU paying for college? Ha!” This kind of loss makes for great Thanksgiving meal reminiscing in a decade or so, but now? Painful.

5. CaliforniaGrammy says:

I can FEEL their pain, so sorry! Better luck next game, we’ll all be rootin’ for you!

6. Chris says:

Spinoff, I disagree completely. It is a competitive sport.

This is a tournament that they are in. Teams have bad days and good days. Last week my son’s team beat one of the teams 22-2.

That is why this game was called after the fourth inning. Our league has a rule that if there is a 10point or more differential by the end of the fourth inning the game ends then.

You win, you lose, you try harder next time.

7. Daisy says:

Learning to lose is a tough lesson. Learning it when you’re so young, and sports are supposed to be fun, is even tougher.

8. Angela says:

Poor guys…another life lesson…can’t win them all and there are times you will get trampled!

Loved the article by the way. My daughter once said “mami (spanish) I want to have big boobs like you” - I was a bit baffled as I’m at best a C cup (w/ a good bra!) but pleased until she said “but not as droopy as yours…droopy boobs are gross” - NIIIIICE! and Yes, she is still alive!

9. Kira says:

Oh, I feel your pain. Tre’s team lost a game this season that was 33 to 13.
    That’s a FOOTBALL score.
    I’ve never seen a bunch of kids so happy to see the game over.

10. Kyran says:

the poet Coleman Barks tells a wonderful story about leaving his granddaughter’s soccer game, in which her team was trounced. as they are pulling away, a boy from the winning team comes along chanting “We won! We won!”

Barks says his grandaughter stood up in the front seat of the convertible and chanted, every bit as triumphantly, “We lost! We lost!”

And then, for good measure, “Ten to nothing! Ten to nothing!”

He says it completely threw the gloater off his game. :)

If you ever get the opportunity to hear Barks perform, don’t miss it. His banter is marvelous, but the poems are sublime.

11. amy says:

I can only say that I have survived many a worse game, and we are just beginning high school ball after a hundred or so years of little league and junior league and ponies and colts and what have you, so I have a feeling that you are in for a long long long time with all of your baseball playing boys! (Good thing I love baseball so much and I hope you do too!) The only consolation is that since most of our children will not end up being major league ball players the best thing about losing is what it teaches the kids and us (their parents!). Anyway that is what I always say to myself. Now I am given a lot of instructions anyway about what I can and cannot say during games. Apparently when your child is doing poorly or another child is doing poorly, one is not supposed to cheer encouragingly. No. One is apparently not supposed to say one.single.word. OK. Well I am going to try to work on that. Next year.