I have been waiting for this moment…

I have been waiting for this moment…

July 17, 2007

Today our refrigerator and freezer were delivered.

I am a notoriously good tipper. If someone does a good job I have no problem showing my appreciation with a tip. When I went out to lunch with my mother-in-law, the server at the restaurant was exceptional. He went above and beyond in his quest not to kill or poison us with foods we can’t eat. And so I gave him a $10 tip on a $25 bill.

I have never had anyone deliver things to my house that I haven’t tipped. I wrote about this when my furniture was delivered and many people said that you don’t need to tip delivery people.

Today I didn’t give the delivery people a tip.

First off they backed their van up over my lawn, which in and of itself doesn’t bother me that much. But then the first guy asked to come inside and see where they had to be carried. As I walked him through the house he started complaining about the distance the kitchen was from the front door. Which is weird. And then he kept saying, “This is a huge job. Wow, this is a big job.”

I paid $200 to have these appliances “white glove” delivered into my house, don’t bitch at me. In retrospect, next time I will save my $200, buy a hand truck, and carry appliances into my house myself. And by myself I mean Rob.

Okay. So the second guy hears about the “big job” and has to come walking through the house to see where the kitchen is. As he starts in with the “big job” stuff, I turned to him and said, “Do you routinely encounter kitchens right next to the front door? Because I really don’t think this is unreasonable.”

And then they complained while they were doing the job. Pushed the appliances into their built-in alcoves without plugging them in and then when I called them on it said that the appliances had to “rest” for 2 hours before being plugged in. They didn’t level them, though I am not sure if that technically is part of their delivery job.

And so when they left I showed him the way out and said goodbye.

I don’t feel the slightest bit guilty about it.

A couple of hours later my son discovered that they left their toolbox here. I hope it is not an excuse to come back to my house and kill me in my sleep.

Comments

1. Scout's Honor says:

Rest? seriously? That sounds like something my husband would say after a large IKEA purchase. We bought a new massive kitchen table and eight chairs that all had to be assembled. Those boxes blocked from front entry for like 3 weeks while they “rested.” Let me tell you that he didn’t receive any “tips” either. In fact, I boycotted “tipping” until it was assembled. Men!

BTW, my applainces didn’t have to “rest” when the delivery guys installed them.

2. Diane says:

I had a new range delivered Friday. Two guys, up the front porch stairs, through the house (although it’s a flat, and not as big as your place) into the kitchen. Old one out, new one in, plugged in, the clock set and the automatic “burn-off” of the extra oils started (after the guys asked me if I’d be around for the 45 minutes or so that took, and warned me about the smell and the slight smoking that were normal parts of the experience).

All done cheerfully, quickly and well.

Call the store and complain - you should never have had to put up with that lack of service when you were paying so much extra.

3. Scout's Honor says:

Sorry, can’t type when riled up about resting appliances.

4. Elizabeth says:

Surely the appliances only need to be”rested” if they have been tipped horizontal whilst in transit ?

We had a fridge freezer delivered in May, and the delivery men unpacked it, removed the old appliances, installed the new one, levelled it off, plugged it in and cleared up all the mess with a smile.
    The new appliance was working fine, and we could use the fridge straight away, though we did have to wait 2 hours for the freezer to reach the correct temperature :-)

5. Anna says:

Appliances have to rest for two hours? Is there a manual on Zen of kitchen equipment so it feels one with its environment. Clearly, these guys received their training at SEE HOW MUCH YOU WHINE UNIVERSITY.

Should they come back for the tool box, I would say it must have gotten lost in the vast land mass area that exists between your front door and kitchen.

6. fidget says:

oh yes appliances must rest, if you overexert them they may have an asthma attack or something. What a load of bull hoooey. I’d be tempted to consider their tool box a “tip” for listening to all the kevetching.

7. Jenny says:

Maybe the tip you should give should be a call to their manager so he knows what kind of crappy, whining employees being sent out on jobs and representing the company.

The resting for 2 hours is crap and they should have leveled the appliances for you, expecially since you paid to have them delivered and (I’m guessing) installed.

As for the toolbox, I agree with Anna, it must have gotten lost between the front door and kitchen. With such a “big job”, it can be tough to keep track of things. Enjoy the new appliances!

8. jenn says:

You do need to call the manager and complain. My brother worked for a a local appliance store and he said any delivery should include leveling and that “resting” is crap. Lazy Jerk-offs.

A big job? Granted a fridge is a heavy thing but what’s the difference if you have to push the handcart 5 or 50 feet? I also think them leaving their toolbox is their penance for so much bitching and if they want it back they’ll have to fight the kids for it.

10. Annalise says:

Am lol at “And by myself I mean Rob.” :-) Enjoy your new appliances; hopefully by now they are rested enough to actually be turned on. :-)

11. MamaLady says:

REST? What the heck is that about?

When Best Buy delivered my fridge and washer/dryer they plugged them in. And then stuck around for 15 minutes or so to make certain the appliances were working properly. It may have been the iced tea I gave them that made them stay a few extra minutes, but whatever it takes to get a job done. Right?

Oh, and I didn’t tip them.

12. Kara says:

What a bunch of crap! I hope you are going to call their manager. Especially when you paid so much to have them delivered! When we had our fridge delivered the guy leveled it, got it running and made sure it was working fine before he left, all with a smile, and that was with a free delivery.

13. josy says:

what did they even bring a toolbox in for? they didn’t even plug in the appliances…

rat them out, definitley.

I have never tipped the delivery guy.
    I’m also with everybody else. A two hour resting period is crap.

15. Anne Glamore says:

That wasn’t “white glove service.” That was moaning and bitching, which I get from my kids free everyday. I’m getting a bargain!

16. Carola says:

Chris, resting for refrigerators is not crap as someone pointed out earlier. In fact, if you don´t let them rest you can damage them. I had to have my fridge rest for about 12 hours, so 2 hrs even seems too little to me. I´m serious here. I´m not justifying their behavior at all, I´m just pointing this out so that you don´t damage your new appliances. You did good not giving them a tip.

17. Love my sailor says:

I would leave the tool box on the door step with a note that it’s nap time. I wouldn’t want to see them again.

Call the manager and let him know you found the tool box and then kindly bring up the “service” you recieved. You know, the almost as an after thought type of thing. Then blast away with both barrels. Geesh, I hate to see what a “small job” would be for these two clowns.
    The resting appliacnce thing isn’t fake. The liquid refrigerent inside needs to rest if it was shaken in transit. I know it sounds like BS, but it’s not. Still, I would have expected the guys to level the refrige before they left.

18. Debbie says:

Surely by the time they return to pick up their toolbox the appliances will be fully rested and ready for the job to be completed. I see a $200 white glove refund in your future. :)

We had a very unpleasant experience (read bad) with an air duct cleaner who kept asking me for money. On top of what he was being paid. To make matters more miserable he left a tool here. Which I didn’t realize until after I had called his manager to complain about him begging me for money. I was very scared he would come back and cause problems. Actually he called 2 weeks later to see if his tool was here. I left it on the front porch. I hate dealing with people that act like this! Good for you not tipping!

20. genpoco says:

That’s bullsh*t. Call and complain about those whiney jerks. I’m sure you won’t have been the first!

21. Poppy says:

Oh yeah…a call to the manager to let them know the delivery guys left behind their toolbox and then definitely let them know that you were way less than satisfied with your “white glove” delivery that you paid an extra $200 for!

I have never heard of that crap about allowing an appliance to rest. I’ll have to try googling that and see what I can come up with…well besides your blog entry for today ;)

Enjoy the new goodies!

22. NoMasNinos says:

Talk about lazy! When I had my refrigerator delivered by sears the men were careful not to scratch my wooden floors, took all the packaging tape and cardboard out, leveled it, and even rehung the doors for me.

In their defense, though, you do have to let the refrigerator sit for a while to let the coolant settle back down into the compressor’s reservoir to avoid damaging it since it was probably tilted back to move. I ruined a couple of refrigerators back in college this way. Oooops! You think I would learn after the first one.

23. Liz in Australia says:

Can’t imagine why they needed a toolbox at all considering it doesn’t sound like they did anything except lever the darn appliances into the house and dump them there… What crappy service.

24. Jen says:

Tools? What tools? If they don’t come back immediately, they will never remember where they actually left them. I would sell them and buy yourself something nice!

We still have one of those cable pushing sticks that the cable guys use to fish wires down your walls from your attic. He left it up there shortly after putting his foot through the ceiling in our hall closet. He never told us about the hole, and we never told him about his cable thingy. We had heard a noise, and I hollered up the attic stairs to see if everything was ok, and he said everything was fine. Numbnut, did he really think I wouldn’t notice a huge cave-in in my closet, along with a fine dusting of drywall all over my linens and pillows??

25. Laura says:

Maybe you should let the company you bought the appliances from know about the “service” offered by their delivery people.

26. Christina says:

Wow, that’s really pitiful “white glove” service!

27. ChristieNY says:

What awful service, good for you for not tipping them! I agree you should call and complain, $200 to hear their complaints, not acceptable. :(

I had a fridge delivered from BestBuy a few years ago, up TWO FLIGHTS OF STAIRS and not a single complaint by the two men that had to carry it, and they leveled it and everything before they left. (They each got a nice tip, because dude, they were sweating their behinds off…)

Your delivery service was the pitts though, you need to complain about that!

I myself have never heard of an appliance needing to rest, however after reading some of the comments, I guess it makes sense. Kind of.. ?? We had a brand new fridge delivered about two years ago, and they plugged it right in. Works great since day one and still has.

Maybe since it was such a BIG JOB, the appliances are just plain tired, and need a rest too. ;)

29. Lainey-Paney says:

Toolbox?
    What toolbox?

…okay, nevermind…don’t play dumb if they come looking for it…that would be bad karma.

But hey, don’t feel bad for not tipping.
    You PAID $200.
    Don’t you feel ripped off?
    Consider that perspective….you tipped ‘em 200 bucks…how pissed are you?

30. Qtpies7 says:

The whining is uncalled for, but the applianced do need to rest if they are fridge/freezers. Stove? Not so much.
    Call and complain, you paid more than enough for delivery all the way across your mansion.

31. Deputy's Wife says:

Looks like the resting thing is somewhat of a debate. I had a new fridge delivered today too. We were not aware of a resting period, plugged it right in. Which means that it is probably true about the resting thing and our new fridge will break down one day after the warranty expires. That is how it goes around here.

32. Still Standing says:

I would be tempted to call the store manager and let him know that although you are not sure just how long an appliance should “rest” before use, you feel confident that the items that you purchased as well as the tools left by dumbass have had all the R&R necessary and that you except to see someone this afternoon. All said very sweetly of course.
    Good luck.

33. Eve says:

Ahhhhh! The old TOOL BOX LEAVE BEHIND trick! My husband is in the woodworking biz…I think those guys thought you were hot! as in looking, wanted you to know what “studs” they were and what a “big job” they were doing, and want another excuse to come oogle you.
    Lock your doors girl!

34. Jessica says:

I would call and complain. First our kitchen isn’t beside our front door and second when we got our new fridge, washer and dryer they hooked everything up right away. I’m so sorry they were so crappy, but I would seriously call and say something for that much money!

35. nabbalicious says:

What a bunch of whiny babies! I hope you called and complained, too. Maybe you can get a refund on the delivery charge. Good for you for not tipping.

They have to “rest”? That is the lamest thing I’ve ever heard. (Unless of course, it’s true and something no one ever told me and so when we bought our new fridge two years ago and plugged it in right away ourselves - no white glove delivery for us - we risked the thing exploding on us.)

Hope you think of something good to say when they come back for the tools.

37. Maliavale says:

Quick! Hawk the tools at a pawn shop! Or Ebay! Sell it as a lot! With a “buy now” feature!

38. sarah in the sand says:

What is it with appliance delivery guys? We got a washer delivered last month and the guys hassled my household help, cased the house from top to bottom, complained that I wanted the washer installed upstairs, Stroked me, and then didn’t know how to install the bloody washer! Like these companies go out and turn over rocks and hire whatever crawls out from underneath.

I called the company twice, sent an email to the head office in Dubai, and made a huge deal about it on my blog. Two weeks later, problem fixed, delivery guys sent back to thier home country, free washer offered, but declined.

Keep the tools, you can use them on your Ikea stuff in the future.

39. Maddy says:

Geeez I bitched about paying $35 delivery ha ha ha and I never thought about tipping them, that’s their job! You are way too kind and if I think if they winged about doing their job they need to change jobs.

40. Sara says:

Sounds like the guys were angling for a tip from the get-go, what with all of the “big job” kvetching. I have seen my children do this on occasion with chores in hopes of getting a little more money. (It doesn’t work, by the way.) Glad they were denied a tip.

41. Brigitte says:

I’d heard of the resting thing years ago, but we’ve always just plugged our refrigerators right in and never had a problem. Maybe it only applied to early refrigerators, and the old advice still lingers.

42. tuesday says:

I have had delivery people like that. Um, isn’t that your job to bring things in and set them up? I don’t get why you complain to me?!

43. deborah says:

“resting????” - idiots!! Although, they left you a nice tip. People today are just plain lazy. They probably wanted you to help them with the delivery.

I have a 5-hour window with my cable company, compared with it’s former 2-hour window. They’ve been here four times in the last month, and their problem still isn’t fixed. Now, they’re dealing with ME! Not a happy momma. What happened to the nice Maytag style repair guy? Give me abreak!!

44. Kristen says:

Wait, you said “goodbye?” I’m sure that was short for “and don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.”

I, like you, am a notoriously generous tipper. Since we moved into this as-is repo house with no appliances, I was up to my eyeballs in tipping. Until the alarm guy came to check out the problem with the alarm and he COMPLAINED the entire time. He complained more than my 2 year old.

No tip. Not even for the second time he came to fix the problem he didn’t fix the first time. That’s 4 Starbucks venti caps he missed out on.

Not only would I have not tipped, I would have called the store and complained because, I am, a bitch.

46. Qalballah says:

They were totally right about not switching appliances on straight away sorry to say. They need at least two hours for the gases to settle back into the compressor or you can ruin your pipes.

oops

47. Boomom says:

Whiny Jack****s !! I’d have been on the phone with the store before they even left the house!

Seriously, call and complain, Chris!

48. Beth - Sensible One says:

Unfortunately, that’s been my type of experience with any delivery person/contractor/etc. that has been to my house. I would probably call and at least “discuss” it with the store manager - especially since you paid for white glove delivery. They’re ususally pretty good about that if it’s a reputable store.

49. Therese says:

Yes, that sounds like garden glove service instead of white glove. I would call and complain because of the huge cost and the little service. But, cooling appliances should sit because of the refrigerant in their compressors. They could have at least leveled them, even though you had to move them a little to plug them in.

50. Kelly says:

When you get the fridge to the location you want it….keep the fridge in the up-rite position for at least the same amount of time that the refrigerator was laying down to help any oil in the lines to drain back into the compressor before plugging it back in…after the few hours are over, then plug it in and have a cold drink :-) from http://www.applianceaid.com

51. Christine says:

oh yeah. you are so getting slashed in your sleep.

we’ll miss u.

52. MrsFierceShoes says:

Good for you. Rudeness should be rewarded. Why are people so lazy? I don’t understand. sigh…

53. JayMonster says:

You are a much nicer person than I. I would not have “complained” as many have suggested, rather I would have demanded a refund of my $200 since I did not receive “white glove” service. Period. Since they did not provide the service you paid for, there is no reason you should have to pay for it, and are due a refund of that money.

54. Laura K. says:

Here in Holland they tell you they have to rest for 2 hours too so I’m inclined to believe it’s true. I suppose it sits on a truck in who knows what temp for how long and then it comes into a new place with new temp, etc. and has to acclimate?

hell what do I know.. maybe they were just playing a joke on me lol

55. Carrie says:

What, exactly, did you pay $200 for? I would definitely report their unprofessionalism and lack of help to the store where you bought the appliances.

If they had any smarts at all, they’d refund your money and keep you as a future customer.

You can tell them I said so!

56. Gloria says:

Ooooh, I had a situation like this once. Cabinet installer in our new house. He gauged the life out of our beautiful natural maple flooring, put scratch marks on our tile, and then had the gumption to bitch about me to the plumber, who happened to be my brother in law!

Gosh I was so happy to see his backside leave my yard for good.

57. Allison says:

I say you keep the tool box. Hold it for randsom. make then pay at least $100.00 for it.

58. Allison says: